Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz on CBS Right Now  (Read 18468 times)

Class71

• All American
Re: Buzz on CBS Right Now
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2014, 05:42:42 PM »
Ah gee boys I just want to have fun in a town of 42,000.  I'm sure the family will love living in the middle of nowhere. Don't think that lipstick will work in Blacksburg. I truly wish him luck. I can not believe anyone can believe it is a top place to raise a family as per the press and is the reason for the move. This is a downgrade by any reasonable measure. Time to move on, MU will be fine.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2014, 05:42:56 PM »
Virginia Tech fired Johnson after two season. Why would people not think that.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2014, 05:43:18 PM »
Precisely.  That's why I don't understand if MU really encouraged him to leave why we wouldn't have just flat out fired the man.

It's not what actually happened that matters, but rather the perception of what happened.  If MU pushed him out the door then they played this situation about as poorly as they possibly could have.

You wanna hire another big time coach? You don't can a guy after one bad season, no matter what friction existed. That's an even worse perception. Who cares what armchair America thinks? You take the high road from your potential next coach's perspective (as well as the unfortunately low buyout).

the eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2014, 05:44:31 PM »
Part of me wanted to see him trip on the microphone cord and fall on his nose on national tv. Than I thought, "no, I'm sure it's wireless". Sigh.....

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2014, 05:44:56 PM »
Because it's embarrassing to tell the nation it was made clear your ethical standards fall well short of those expected by your employer and that after multiple warnings it was decided to let you leave with dignity.

This is best explaination of the whole situation and why buzz left. Good old unethical buzz. Glad he is gone.
MU15

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »
No postseason again next year and Crean is gone.

I can't believe people think Buzz is going to get fired. The bar is WAY low at VA Tech. With his JUCO connections and (assumed) lack of restrictions in that department, he'll likely have them rolling in a couple years. And by rolling I mean rolling by VA Tech standards. All it will take is being an NCAA participant in 2/3 years out of a 5 year span, regardless of if they get bounced 1st round. I'm confident he can get to that level fairly quickly, and he will be worshiped as a result. Remember, this is the school that has had NCAA tournament 2 appearances in the last 28 years, and their last S16 was 1967. NINETEEN SIXTY SEVEN! Whether he can get them to a level higher than 2/3 tourneys ever 5 years remains to be seen, but the barometer for success at VA Tech is at a crazy easy level for Buzz to meet or exceed.

4 straight years of no tourney, or five with no tourney wins. Even Va Tech will eventually fire him.

He's never built anything from scratch before. So who's he going to be in front of?

Syracuse, Duke, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Notre Dame, Miami, NC State????
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2014, 05:46:58 PM »
Marquette had 15 million reasons not to fire him.

His buyout was seriously $15 million? I haven't seen that anywhere else.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2014, 05:49:27 PM »
4 straight years of no tourney, or five with no tourney wins. Even Va Tech will eventually fire him.

He's never built anything from scratch before. So who's he going to be in front of?

Syracuse, Duke, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Notre Dame, Miami, NC State????
Don't forgot L'ville. Plus, Va Tech just fired their new coach after two seasons.

Is it true that Buzz will make more than the football coach, Frank Beamer.  I can't think that will go over well.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 05:51:06 PM by bradley center bat »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2014, 05:49:47 PM »
Marquette had 15 million reasons not to fire him.

+1

MU fires him and they pay off his contract, which has another 15 million left.

Make him feel unloved and he chooses a pay cut and many years of losing seasons.  

Look at the bright side, unlike Crean, buzz will never again compete for a recruit we want (after this coming week)

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2014, 05:50:27 PM »
Going to be really fun seeing Crean and Buzz fired in the same season 4 years from now.

you think Crean will last another 4 years at IU?  the natives are already pretty restless in Bloomington.  

Class71

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2014, 05:51:20 PM »
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:10:18 PM by Class71 »
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2014, 05:51:56 PM »

2 appearances in 28 years. Last S16 in 1967. He makes a couple tournaments in a short time span and he will be crowned. The bar is seriously that low. And I think he will be in the Miami/NC State group as early as two seasons from now. That's all it will take.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2014, 05:54:12 PM »
It has been in the press several times that it was $15m. It has also been reported that it was reduced to $100k in the past few months. A bit odd if true.

Confusing two issues.

The buyout is a penalty another school pays MU to hire Buzz.  That was $2m but reduced to 100k when LW resigned.

On the other hand if Buzz is fired, MU has to honor the rest of his contract which had many years and 15 million left.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2014, 05:55:56 PM »
Confusing two issues.

The buyout is a penalty another school pays MU to hire Buzz.  That was $2m but reduced to 100k when LW resigned.

On the other hand if Buzz is fired, MU has to honor the rest of his contract which had many years and 15 million left.

Wow, I knew VA Tech would have to pay us $100k, did not know we would have had to pay the rest of his contract to fire him.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2014, 05:57:08 PM »
No postseason again next year and Crean is gone.

I can't believe people think Buzz is going to get fired. The bar is WAY low at VA Tech. With his JUCO connections and (assumed) lack of restrictions in that department, he'll likely have them rolling in a couple years. And by rolling I mean rolling by VA Tech standards. All it will take is being an NCAA participant in 2/3 years out of a 5 year span, regardless of if they get bounced 1st round. I'm confident he can get to that level fairly quickly, and he will be worshiped as a result. Remember, this is the school that has had NCAA tournament 2 appearances in the last 28 years, and their last S16 was 1967. NINETEEN SIXTY SEVEN! Whether he can get them to a level higher than 2/3 tourneys ever 5 years remains to be seen, but the barometer for success at VA Tech is at a crazy easy level for Buzz to meet or exceed.

They're not paying Buzz $2+ million because they have low expectations and would be thrilled with a first-round ouster every 2-3 years. They're looking at him as a homerun hire who will bring homerun results,  not a slight upgrade of Seth Greenberg. Buzz might get a honeymoon season,  but after that he's going to be expected to put them in the second tier of the ACC - on par with Pitt, Maryland,  Virginia,  NC State, etc.  If not, he's going to be considered a disappointment. And he'll be expected to do this with lesser facilities,  resources and support than what he's used to.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2014, 05:57:34 PM »
Contract misinformation everywhere! smh
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2014, 05:58:33 PM »
That's why it's called a contract. But, these things are all negotiable. Just need a good scheitster.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »
Wow, I knew VA Tech would have to pay us $100k, did not know we would have had to pay the rest of his contract to fire him.

That's why Ben Howland wasn't working right away.  He still had time on his contract when UCLA fired him so he could sit back and collect millions!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2014, 06:00:34 PM »
Contract misinformation everywhere! smh

You keep saying this and never explain.  So plead clarify the terms of Buzz's deal if you know them.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2014, 06:00:50 PM »
That's why Ben Howland wasn't working right away.  He still had time on his contract when UCLA fired him so he could sit back and collect millions!

That's the kind of passion we need!!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2014, 06:01:56 PM »
Really? Wholly disagree. Easy to say as the ex. That's going to continue to work across America. Sometimes it takes years to realize the person you love is batsh!t crazy.

Don't want to be Chicken Little, but I think he's going to leave this program in shambles. If not this year's recruits, certainly future years, and assistants as well.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2014, 06:02:26 PM »
Don't even really want to watch it.  But I'll wait for a link to the video.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »
Buzz's life was basketball...really am more comfortable getting the guy trying to hit the big time (and then hopefully the relationship with him grows deep)....Crean nine years, Buzz six.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2014, 06:05:55 PM »
You keep saying this and never explain.  So plead clarify the terms of Buzz's deal if you know them.

Yes, inquiring minds would love to know.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2014, 06:06:26 PM »

That's the kind of passion we need!!

Maybe he was waiting for a great situation!  That's the optimist in me.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein