[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PaintTouches]Why Derrick Wilson is not to blame for the MU offense  (Read 18329 times)

chapman

• All American
Re: [PaintTouches]Why Derrick Wilson is not to blame for the MU offense
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2014, 03:03:19 PM »
Agree.  But you also agree that it cuts both ways, correct?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2014, 04:00:13 PM »
Very well put.  Our failure to meet expectations this season was a team effort, which is why many of us get frustrated when Derrick is singled out as the main reason.

And for all the people who put out the complex stats, "value add" numbers and the like -- can you explain how those numbers account for intangibles like diving on the floor after loose balls, giving instructions to other players, etc. -- none of which show up in any stat I'm aware of, but which clearly help set the tone for the rest of the team? 

I'm just glad they still play the game on hardwood, instead of on a microchip....

Clearly, the tone wasn't a good one.

We're enjoying NO post-season for the first time in a long time.
SS Marquette

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2014, 04:38:49 PM »
Agree.  But you also agree that it cuts both ways, correct?

Diving for loose balls and "giving instructions" to other players isn't a task or action solely performed by a point guard.

Shooting 7% from 3 and being unwilling to shoot from outside of 2 feet from the basket and the resultant collapsing and sagging of the defense on everyone is...is an action solely performed by Derrick's defender.  Jake's doesn't do it.  Davante, Todd, Jamil, Dawson's defenders surely don't do it...

This team didn't go from Elite 8 to missing NIT due to Vander Blue and Trent Lockett not being on the team...end of story.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2014, 04:54:24 PM »
Diving for loose balls and "giving instructions" to other players isn't a task or action solely performed by a point guard.

Shooting 7% from 3 and being unwilling to shoot from outside of 2 feet from the basket and the resultant collapsing and sagging of the defense on everyone is...is an action solely performed by Derrick's defender.  Jake's doesn't do it.  Davante, Todd, Jamil, Dawson's defenders surely don't do it...

This team didn't go from Elite 8 to missing NIT due to Vander Blue and Trent Lockett not being on the team...end of story.

Aaaaaaand we come full circle to your signature.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2014, 05:11:59 PM »

You're absolutely right - these aren't tasks that have to be solely performed by a PG...yet our PG was nonetheless doing them far more than the others in the rotation.  The only guy who might have been in the ballpark - but still probably a distant second - was Jake.

If you disagree, please feel free to share your opinion about guys who got more floor burns than Derrick.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2014, 06:10:26 PM »
You're absolutely right - these aren't tasks that have to be solely performed by a PG...yet our PG was nonetheless doing them far more than the others in the rotation.  The only guy who might have been in the ballpark - but still probably a distant second - was Jake.

If you disagree, please feel free to share your opinion about guys who got more floor burns than Derrick.

Goooo.....understand this:  I do not hate Derrick in any way, shape or form.  Admire his character, hustle, and attitude.  My issue is with Buzz for not making the clear and evident change that needed to be made.  The virtues of Derrick you mention are what you need/want in every player - yet the player has to be able to put the ball in the basket as a PG playing high major ball.

Guards, by virtue of their quickness, long rebound caroms, etc., lead to them being involved in more loose ball scrums than bigs.  Yet, I saw EVERY player on MU hit the ground after a loose ball this season...Mayo went to the floor a lot...Jake...Jamil...Otule..Dawson..Juan and Davante, Burton etc...of course the guys playing the most minutes on the team...Derrick and Jake had the most time on court to participate in such scrums..

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2014, 06:29:24 PM »

So more floorburns = more victories?

How about this novel idea: average 7 points more per game with the same defense, and we would have won 6 more games.
SS Marquette