Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PaintTouches]Why Derrick Wilson is not to blame for the MU offense  (Read 18331 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: [PaintTouches]Why Derrick Wilson is not to blame for the MU offense
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 06:04:43 PM »
Well written article. Matches what I've been saying all year. Expectations. No one should have expected more of Derrick Wilson. We knew what we were getting when Junior left. I know I at least expected a lot more out of other players.

It becomes virtually impossible for other players to succeed when the PG they play with is the most offensively challenged player on the floor.  Why Jamil and Davante didn't take HUGE strides forward this season, is largely due to the starting backcourt...more Derrick than Jake's limitations.

My beef throughout it all was Buzz's absolute reluctance to ever just give Dawson 30 minutes for 3-5 games through thick or thin....and get a data point as to what we might get with him running Point for 30 minutes....but give him a fair sample size, and opportunity to play through mistakes.  We had all the data we needed on Derrick to show what the team would look like with him playing 30+...and it didn't look pretty..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 06:15:54 PM »
It becomes virtually impossible for other players to succeed when the PG they play with is the most offensively challenged player on the floor.  Why Jamil and Davante didn't take HUGE strides forward this season, is largely due to the starting backcourt...more Derrick than Jake's limitations.

Right, and Derrick probably gave Davante the flu during the SDSU game. Seriously, do you think anything negative about this team is anyone's fault besides Derrick?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 06:16:42 PM »
I don't blame Derrick so much as the entire roster actually, but Buzz is the person responsible for putting him in a position where he failed. Derrick is who he is and he'll be the same next year. Question is will Buzz put him in position to fail again and drag the team down for another year.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
Right, and Derrick probably gave Davante the flu during the SDSU game. Seriously, do you think anything negative about this team is anyone's fault besides Derrick?

Look at all the statistical numbers TAMU - far and away Buzz's worst team offensively in his tenure.  Everyone returned from team except Vander, Lockett and Cadougan.  Lockett was no offensive stud.  VAnder/Mayo this year are practically a wash...

AT the end of the day...I blame Buzz...he controls playing time allocation...and starting lineups...no reason to play Derrick with 3 other offensively limited players - JAke, Juan, Otule.  Mayo was underutilized all year, along with Burton and Gardner....and that all falls on Buzz...

But yes, to answer your question....Derrick's significant limitations are the reason this team is not in the NCAA.  PG is to basketball what QB is to football team....without a good one/decent one...doesn't matter a whole lot how good the other guys around you are..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 06:45:30 PM »
Ryan Arcidiacono 114.6 ORtg, .506 eFG%
Austin Chatman 115.6 ORtg, .492 eFG%
Bryce Cotton 121.9 ORtg, .483 eFG%
Dee Davis 110.3 ORtg, .500 eFG%
D'Angelo Harrisonn 109.4 ORtg, .436 eFG%
Markel Starks 111.9 ORtg, .480 eFG%
Sterling Gibbs 113.1 ORtg, .467 eFG%
Alex Barlow 109.7 ORtg, .468 eFG%
Billy Garrett 106.9 ORtg, .430 eFG%

Derrick Wilson 97.2 ORtg, .403 eFG%

Derrick Wilson is dead last in the two most important offensive statistics compared to every other point guard in the Big East.

Come to your own conclusions.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 06:47:05 PM »
Awesome - this is kind of like putting lipstick on the pig... - Ok, slurpers sitting at home watching Marquette sit at home this weekend - how many of you will sign up for being perfectly happy with 30+ mins per game of Derrick Wilson at PG next year?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 06:57:42 PM »

Derrick Wilson is dead last in the two most important offensive statistics compared to every other point guard in the Big East.

But wait...it's okay because we didn't expect him to be very good....he played to his expectations (that some had of him), therefore it isn't his fault the team didn't make tourney...Jamil regressed from a 109.8 ORating as a junior to 102.5...I highly doubt his game got WORSE with an offseason of work.  Gardner's ORating stayed pretty similar from junior year to senior year 123.2 as junior to 122.2 as a senior...yet notably his rating jumped from 118.1 as a sophomore...interesting there was no improvement as a senior - again, highly doubt his game, conditioning, etc., regressed with another off season of work and experience.

Would be interesting to see how Jake ranked against the other 2 guards in the league..

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 07:06:05 PM »
Wilson's numbers really were terrible for a starting PG.  That's the first time I looked at them compared to the league.  I shouldn't have done that as it makes me even more disappointed regarding the 32 games I endured this season having seen that comparison.

Sorry scoopers.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 07:09:13 PM »
Ha Ha Ners - the joke is on you!   You had expected Marquette to start a PG that had offensive capability to win games against good teams.

But wait...it's okay because we didn't expect him to be very good....he played to his expectations (that some had of him), therefore it isn't his fault the team didn't make tourney...Jamil regressed from a 109.8 ORating as a junior to 102.5...I highly doubt his game got WORSE with an offseason of work.  Gardner's ORating stayed pretty similar from junior year to senior year 123.2 as junior to 122.2 as a senior...yet notably his rating jumped from 118.1 as a sophomore...interesting there was no improvement as a senior - again, highly doubt his game, conditioning, etc., regressed with another off season of work and experience.

Would be interesting to see how Jake ranked against the other 2 guards in the league..

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 07:12:10 PM »

Numbers don't lie.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 07:25:59 PM »
Ha Ha Ners - the joke is on you!   You had expected Marquette to start a PG that had offensive capability to win games against good teams.

You know, it's one thing if your max minute player is at least just in the area/zip code of the other guys at his position in the league.....but in addition to being dead last....his eFG and ORating aren't even in the zip code...huge disparity which is evident when simply watching the games...

Now...I know...some may say Dawson's ORating was less...yet...Ken Pomroy doesn't even assisn an ORating to a player in games they play less than 10 minutes...Dawson only had 4 games where he played more than 10 minutes....and for the season in all the games he played in..he averaged 11 minutes with one huge outlier - Georgetown - and what do you know, that's the one huge outlier in his ORating.

That was the frustration all year long...Buzz never was willing to give Dawson a fair chance when he had all kinds of data it was going to be a bitch with Derrick running PG.  Oh well.  Bygones.  But really, no excuse for Buzz on this next year if he doesn't drastically shift PT allocation.

In my view, Derrick sure as hell didn't "earn" the PT he got based on his game performances.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 07:29:40 PM »

In my view, Derrick sure as hell didn't "earn" the PT he got based on his game performances.

...and Gardner is getting heat in another topic at this same time.

What does that say about Scoop's basketball IQ?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 07:43:03 PM »
De Wilson is a good Division II PG.  Definitely not a D I.  His defense is poor.  His offense is not existent.  It's easy to see he cannot dominate the other player.  He is out played in most games.  The big question is why would Buzz Play an inferior talented PG all season?  It cost him the season and perhaps his job.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 07:55:19 PM »

The difference in ORtg between #2 (Chatman) and #9 (Garrett) is less than the difference between #9 (Garrett) and #10 (Wilson).  And Garrett was a freshman for DePaul.   :o

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 07:58:44 PM »
...and Gardner is getting heat in another topic at this same time.

What does that say about Scoop's basketball IQ?

I know....can't believe Gardner has gotten heat..last guy on team who should.  Says all you need to know about SOME Scooper's basketball IQ...although as egregious as it is to call out Gardner...I'd say that's not as egregious as trying to argue Derrick wasn't THEE problem that caused this team to flounder.  At the end of the day, again, it isn't Derrick's fault per se - it is Buzz's - Buzz should have seen he was completely overmatched at offensive end and made a change..even if it resulted in a couple more turnovers per game..

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2014, 08:06:34 PM »
He averaged 20+ ppg in high school and was ranked as the #30 PG in his class. I don't really blame Buzz for giving him a shot

Will you blame Buzz if he gives Derrick another shot next season?  Not stoking the fire or anything, you're a more-than-solid poster, and I'm curious about your answer

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2014, 08:07:04 PM »
I never said that Wilson was that good.   I said he was better than Dawson.   mattyv, pop up those numbers again.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2014, 08:18:19 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/269/marquette-golden-eagles

I got Derrick at a 2.8/1 A/TO.   Dawson 1.4.    I got Derrick shooting .391 from the field.   I got Dawson shooting .320.    I got Dawson with one offensive rebound all year.     Dawson kills Derrick on 3's and FT's.   As bad as Derrick was, the contention that Dawson would have been better is based on wishful thinking.   Not stats.    But, I know all of the coming arguments.    It isn't like this point hasn't been hashed out once or twice before.    I am not going to change anyone's mind.   We are all frustrated.     In the end, I saw Derrick as A problem, not THE problem and I didn't see a better alternative.    It sucks.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2014, 08:24:41 PM »
4 on 5, the whole year. The blame goes on the coach for putting the young man in a no win situation. He obviously has no offensive capability to compete at this level and we played a. His defense is competitive for sure and can key some fast breaks. He should be a defensive situation sub with time limited to about 10 minutes a game. Also any point guard shooting .442 from the line is automatically disqualified from participating in crunch time in my view. Again the blame goes to the coach not the kid. He tried as hard as he possibly could.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2014, 08:32:02 PM »
Well written Strotty.  Good to see that one more person gets it.  You hit the nail on the head by saying that most of the criticism is from people who look at scoring numbers and seem to ignore everything else, and who continue to ignore the fact that none of our four seniors stepped up as a "go to" guy.

Derrick has huge shooting issues, but he was not the biggest problem on this year's team.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2014, 08:32:10 PM »
I personally think Derrick is a very good backup point guard. If he was playing 10-12 minutes a game, like last year, I think we'd be very happy. He'd take care of the ball, make some passes and be able to play tougher defense without worrying about fouling out. Unfortunately for him and us, he wasn't able to play in that role.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2014, 08:33:44 PM »
Numbers don't lie.
or as Professor Lowenstein (sp?) used to say back in the early 80's, figures don't lie, but liars do figure! 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2014, 08:47:36 PM »
Well written Strotty.  Good to see that one more person gets it.  You hit the nail on the head by saying that most of the criticism is from people who look at scoring numbers and seem to ignore everything else, and who continue to ignore the fact that none of our four seniors stepped up as a "go to" guy.

Derrick has huge shooting issues, but he was not the biggest problem on this year's team.

Please enlighten us all....

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2014, 08:48:45 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/269/marquette-golden-eagles

I got Derrick at a 2.8/1 A/TO.   Dawson 1.4.    I got Derrick shooting .391 from the field.   I got Dawson shooting .320.    I got Dawson with one offensive rebound all year.     Dawson kills Derrick on 3's and FT's.   As bad as Derrick was, the contention that Dawson would have been better is based on wishful thinking.   Not stats.    But, I know all of the coming arguments.    It isn't like this point hasn't been hashed out once or twice before.    I am not going to change anyone's mind.   We are all frustrated.     In the end, I saw Derrick as A problem, not THE problem and I didn't see a better alternative.    It sucks.   

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/30/how-carmelo-anthony-helps-the-knicks-score-more-efficiently-beyond-his-own-points/

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2014, 08:55:56 PM »

No...there are stats that show if Dawson was given a similar opportunity..he'd be better...problem is...Buzz only gave him 1 game:  Georgetown.  Can you imagine what Derrick's numbers would look like if he got Dawson's scrap minutes??  Wait...here's an indication..Derrick's Freshman year:
33   8.8   0.6   1.1   0.7   0.6   0.0   0.3   .375   .471   .000

Sophomore Year:
35   13.1   1.1   0.9   1.6   0.7   0.0   0.5   .273   .450   .143

Dawson Freshman Year (Note...he could only get minutes in 24 games even though he was playing behind quite possibly the worst starting PG in the last 10 years in Big East)
24   10.2   2.0   1.1   1.0   0.1   0.0   0.7   .320   .818   .269