Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Steve Taylor, Jr.  (Read 4822 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Steve Taylor, Jr.
« on: March 16, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
Was just reading the "Do we make the NIT" thread and some posters had a side discussion about who plays next year.  Noticeably absent (for me) from the discussion was Steve Taylor, Jr. 

This is what I have to say about that.  Steve Taylor, Jr. starts next year and has a better year next year as a junior than Jamil Wilson did this year as a fifth year senior.  Book it, Dano.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Steve Taylor, Jr.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 05:49:32 PM »
If he gets the same minutes I don't think it's a stretch at all.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 05:50:31 PM »
Agreed.   I give him a pass because of his uneven recovery from his knee surgery this year, but I would rate him the second largest disappointment on this  year's team, behind Jamil.    Next year, healthy, as long as he can play a semblance of defense, he is going to get a ton of minutes, especially early.   12 and 6.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 06:34:54 PM »
It would be hard for anyone to have a worse year than Jamil his year.  I put a lot of stock in him and thought sure he'd come through, but in hindsight I'm convinced that if Burton played Jamil's minutes this year MU would have been a lot better off.

DB's bball hunger alone, beyond scoring ability and a lot of other things many counted on Jamil to deliver, would have put this team in better stead.  DB and STJ should and I think will be on the floor a ton next year.  Todd too.  I pray that we have a new PG to lead them.  DWill can't play as big a role next year or we're doomed.  He's a back-up point guard and is well-suited to that job.  10-15 minutes about right; not 30+.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 06:41:23 PM »
Agreed.   I give him a pass because of his uneven recovery from his knee surgery this year, but I would rate him the second largest disappointment on this  year's team, behind Jamil.    Next year, healthy, as long as he can play a semblance of defense, he is going to get a ton of minutes, especially early.   12 and 6.  

+1.  Clearly he wasn't himself.

But why didn't we redshirt him?  I remember threads at the time saying that it wasn't too late, but Buzz put in him the game (New Mexico?) anyway.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 07:35:52 PM »
Was just reading the "Do we make the NIT" thread and some posters had a side discussion about who plays next year.  Noticeably absent (for me) from the discussion was Steve Taylor, Jr. 

This is what I have to say about that.  Steve Taylor, Jr. starts next year and has a better year next year as a junior than Jamil Wilson did this year as a fifth year senior.  Book it, Dano.
No doubt in my mind.  He shows serious potential...just needs to put that complete game ability together. 
No Finish Line

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 07:58:16 PM »
Asking him to surpass Jamil isn't exactly putting the bar real high.

EDIT: That said, I am high on Taylor if he can get a full body of work in this offseason. And we'll need him to log big minutes, possibly at the 5 as well early in the year.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:59:49 PM by Gardner's Postgame Snack »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 08:02:01 PM »
Asking him to surpass Jamil isn't exactly putting the bar real high.

EDIT: That said, I am high on Taylor if he can get a full body of work in this offseason. And we'll need him to log big minutes, possibly at the 5 as well early in the year.

True enough.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 08:05:43 PM »
Is he coming back for next year?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 08:31:37 PM »
The injury and recovery have set him back so much.

I don't think we'll see the explosive STJ until his senior year.
Next year, he'll be logging minutes he never saw on his atrophied leg and that's gonna set him back a bit even with an intensive summer.
SS Marquette

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 09:17:57 PM »
Taylor had consistent setbacks from the offseason surgery. This summer will do wonders for him. I think we could see great things from him in 14-15
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 09:19:38 PM »
Is he coming back for next year?
Why wouldn't he.
Do you know something we don't?

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 09:32:49 PM »
He was dominant against Georgetown. He was healthy. No idea why he didn't get the minutes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 09:42:47 PM »
He was dominant against Georgetown. He was healthy. No idea why he didn't get the minutes.

Another injury setback after the game kept him out.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu72warrior

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 06:07:17 PM »
If he wants to do what's best for himself, he should transfer. 1 yr in practices to get up to speed and 2 yrs eligibility left.

westcoastwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 10:03:59 PM »
I only want to Steve on the floor if he finally commits to defense.  He was too big of a liability on the defensive end this year.  Also he appeared lost on the offensive end when being played man-to-man.   Zones...different story...but his responsibilities were pretty small in a zone situation...high picks and flash to elbow for a open shot.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 10:09:39 PM »
What the hell happened to this cat....strangest year one to two for a player I've seen.   Not want to play D or something?

brandx

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 10:17:04 PM »
If he wants to do what's best for himself, he should transfer. 1 yr in practices to get up to speed and 2 yrs eligibility left.

Wow. You know what's best for him?

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 11:18:03 PM »
I had such high hopes for Taylor after his freshman year, thinking/hoping he had a decent chance to make one of those big leaps we often see college players make from their freshman to sophomore seasons.

I know he had the injury which had to frustrate the kid a lot and maybe i'm seeing something that isn't there, but his body language at times made me wonder what he was thinking, whether on the court or on the bench. To me at least, Steve often had a really laid back look about him, not the kind of intensity that players who have thrived under Buzz typically had.

Anyone else get that same vibe or instead think i'm likely just imaging something which really doesn't exist?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 11:29:46 PM »
I think Steve will have a tough time playing the five until Fischer can play.  At the four, however, he will be a fine replacement for Jamil.  Maybe not quite as good defensively, but his rebounding (both defensively and offensively) is better than Jamil.

If Steve averages 20+ minutes next year he will lead the team in rebounding by a wide margin.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 11:44:16 PM »
Biggest thing for him is getting stronger. Get that leg back to 100%, and bulk up a bit up top. It was painful watching him go up and get zero lift.

Still think he can be a pretty good player for MU.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 12:05:33 AM »
I don't know what to make of Steve. He had a tough time finishing this year, and I'm assuming that was due to lingering effects from his injury. Hope 6 months of work with Todd can get him back to 100%.

feedback