Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: X box score  (Read 1270 times)

tower912

• All American
X box score
« on: March 14, 2014, 11:17:27 AM »
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400544172

Basically a 7 man rotation.    Derrick with the lowest minutes he has played in a while.   Otule 12-Davante 28.   Only cameos for Juan and STjr.     Hard to argue that Buzz had too broad of a rotation.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: X box score
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 11:23:29 AM »
Jake had an awful night.
Ludum habemus.

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400544172

Basically a 7 man rotation.    Derrick with the lowest minutes he has played in a while.   Otule 12-Davante 28.   Only cameos for Juan and STjr.     Hard to argue that Buzz had too broad of a rotation.   

Do you know what stands out to me? 65 minutes, 5 points. There's the season in a nutshell. You aren't going to win many games when your starting back court combines for 5 points.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 11:28:56 AM »
Loss is a bummer. But got me thinking that if this was the baseline for the rotation and typical way we played all year, we would have had 4/5 more wins. Add a couple threes from Jake to this effort and a little more from Jamil and I think this is the kind of team I was expecting to see this year.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 11:29:04 AM »
Another box score note. We shot better from the field than the charity stripe.  An outlier for us.

Aside from that and number of free throw attempts/makes, the box score looks good for us.  And of course the final score.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 11:33:30 AM »
X made more free throws than we attempted, usurping Buzz's strategy.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 11:34:02 AM »
The problem was never either Derrick or Jake.   A team can win with a stand still 3 pt shooter playing big minutes at the 2 if there are two other players on the floor who can create off of the dribble.   It isn't a dig at Jake.   Novak wasn't very effective, either, when there wasn't a dynamic PG on the floor.  
     A team can win with a caretaker PG if 2-3 other guys on the floor can create their own shot.   Cadougan.     MU's problem was that neither Derrick nor Jake could create their own shot.     And for most of the year, the other starters on the floor couldn't, either.    Davante can't get his own shot.   Jamil won't.  Only Mayo and Deonte have shown that ability.    And I advocated starting either.

What disappoints me is that JJJ and Dawson didn't develop to the point that it was impossible for Buzz to keep them off of the floor.    The opportunity was there.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 11:43:59 AM »
The problem was never either Derrick or Jake.   A team can win with a stand still 3 pt shooter playing big minutes at the 2 if there are two other players on the floor who can create off of the dribble.   It isn't a dig at Jake.   Novak wasn't very effective, either, when there wasn't a dynamic PG on the floor.  
     A team can win with a caretaker PG if 2-3 other guys on the floor can create their own shot.   Cadougan.     MU's problem was that neither Derrick nor Jake could create their own shot.     And for most of the year, the other starters on the floor couldn't, either.    Davante can't get his own shot.   Jamil won't.  Only Mayo and Deonte have shown that ability.    And I advocated starting either.

What disappoints me is that JJJ and Dawson didn't develop to the point that it was impossible for Buzz to keep them off of the floor.    The opportunity was there.

Davante absolutely can get his own shot and used his derriere to do so consistently.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:46:35 AM by PistolPete »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 12:19:20 PM »

Yeah, right--Davante can't get his own shot. Have you been mistaking him all year for Derrick, to make that statement?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »
Davante absolutely can get his own shot and used his derriere to do so consistently.

Fair point.   When I think of someone getting their own shot, I think of them getting the ball on the perimeter and creating off of the dribble.    Davante, after receiving the ball in the right time and place, can then create his own shot.