[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: X thoughts  (Read 7098 times)

tower912

• All American
X thoughts
« on: March 14, 2014, 06:05:11 AM »
1.  Deonte, awesome game.   I understand why Buzz pulled him when he did.   He had made two bad turnovers and taken a bad shot.    But if this was a portent of things to come, sign me up.
2.   Todd, tale of two halves.   I wanted him out of the game in the first half, but fully expected him to go off in the second.
3.   It was clear that X made taking Jake out of the game a priority.    He had a couple of looks that he probably should have taken, but not many.
4.   Should have been a flagrant on that foul on Davante.    And he should have demanded the ball every time until he demolished that guy.
5.   When Derrick feels that best option is for him to attack the glass, you know the offense has hit a stagnant spot.
6.   If Dawson's father was right about Jamil, that opens up a whole bunch of other questions.
7.   This team's template is to not be able to get the big defensive stop.   Previous teams under Buzz could.   The coach hasn't changed.   The scheme hasn't changed.   
8.   Buzz finally started Deonte. 
9.   Deonte got more run.   Todd got all the run he wanted in the second half after a dreadful first half.   Dawson got run in the first half after Derrick's foul trouble.   It mattered not.     
10.   Jamil, Jake, and Chris, basically invisible, especially at winning time.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: X thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 06:37:18 AM »
i thought that buzz would sit deonte for a short period, to reign him in.  have one of the assistant coaches re-indoctrinate him, bring him back to mu game plan as he was going a little rogue and trying to do it all.  he is going to be a force

never understood how todd can always get a pretty decent look at the 3 and jake always seemed to have someone in his back pocket

agree with the flagrant foul or lack there of

when derrick goes to the glass, there has to be someone open at the perimeter...jake?

jamil's game...???  looked like he couldn't wait to hit the bars and meet some ny ladies

chris who?

except for deonte and davonte, we had no first half game. no real fire.  i really like jake, but what is his purpose?  he plays o.k. defense, no doubt a hustler. will grab a rebound, but otherwise, all he does is sit out at the perimeter and help swing the ball around.  he got 2 shots off, made one, had a steal and a rebound in 36 min. of play.  isn't he considered to be our SHOOTING guard?  then at least try to run an isolation/pick play to free him up.  how is mayo left wide open while jake is wearing an opponent like a cheap suit.  if mayo would have beat xavior, i really would have questioned, well i still do question why they sagged off of mayo and covered jake when he really didn't get off any shots the whole game.  todd was feelin' it and jake wasn't even warmed up, but that didn't happen, so ole well...   
don't...don't don't don't don't

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 06:44:15 AM »
6.   If Dawson's father was right about Jamil, that opens up a whole bunch of other questions.

I don't think I caught this, and a quick browse through his posting history didn't reveal anything. What'd be say?
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 07:23:15 AM »

never understood how todd can always get a pretty decent look at the 3 and jake always seemed to have someone in his back pocket

Because ... um ... Todd is a decent offensive basketball player with a little quickness and Jake isn't?

Watch them for 10 seconds and it's pretty easy to understand.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 07:26:27 AM »
Seasonal if not X thoughts:

-never thought I'd miss hearing about the deflections per game.

-which leads to no deflections, no easy fast break baskets, which used to be our calling card.

-jamil was forced into a season-long role for which he was not suited: starter, leader, game changer.

-jamil would have been more effective in a sixth man role.  confidence was not his strong suit.

-after last year's Pitt game where DW was very serviceable after Junior went down I felt pretty confident about the PG position for the future.  I was wrong.

-we have not enough PF types.

-this team struggled all year to find its identity and is still looking for it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 07:35:20 AM »
I don't think I caught this, and a quick browse through his posting history didn't reveal anything. What'd be say?

Yeah, I apparently missed that somewhere as well
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 08:06:30 AM »
1.  Deonte, awesome game.   I understand why Buzz pulled him when he did.   He had made two bad turnovers and taken a bad shot.    But if this was a portent of things to come, sign me up.

I thought taking him out was the right move.  But just for a couple minutes to remind him not to force things early in the shot clock.  Then get him back in there.  He was especially effective playing high-low with Gardner.  He's the partner Gardner's needed all season.

2.   Todd, tale of two halves.   I wanted him out of the game in the first half, but fully expected him to go off in the second.
3.   It was clear that X made taking Jake out of the game a priority.    He had a couple of looks that he probably should have taken, but not many.

Agree 100% with both comments.

4.   Should have been a flagrant on that foul on Davante.    And he should have demanded the ball every time until he demolished that guy.
Don't agree with the flagrant 2 on that.  Gardner gathered his composure almost immediately.  Very impressive, I thought.

5.   When Derrick feels that best option is for him to attack the glass, you know the offense has hit a stagnant spot.
Derrick has to attack the glass once in a while, but it shouldn't be a late, last resort, because that is doomed to failure.  He can't shoot at all, and he HAS to give the defense some reason to have to guard him.  You can see why Wilson incites such frustration from the fan base.  It is miserable to watch him run the offense.  Watching Derrick stand wide open at the 3 point line with the ball and the game on the line with the wide open uncontested three not even an option is so friggin' frustrating to watch.

7.   This team's template is to not be able to get the big defensive stop.   Previous teams under Buzz could.   The coach hasn't changed.   The scheme hasn't changed.  

Agree, but maybe the scheme should have changed.  Bottom line is that we had trouble stopping penetration all year, as our opponents took advantage of our switching, and we could not get to the 3 point shooters.  Low points against is due in large part to the pace at which we play, not allowing fast breaks, etc.  Our half court defense was nothing special, and for a team that struggles to score like we do, that can't be the case.

10.   Jamil, Jake, and Chris, basically invisible, especially at winning time.    
Chris is dependent on the ball being passed to him, and frankly he's not our best option so I have no problem with us eschewing his offense, but he did his defensive job fine while in.  Jake is what he is.  A good shooter that is easy to guard as long as you commit to doing it. Jamil is the frustrating one.  Strangely passive last night.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:11:48 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 08:56:08 AM »
I thought taking him out was the right move.  But just for a couple minutes to remind him not to force things early in the shot clock.  Then get him back in there.  He was especially effective playing high-low with Gardner.  He's the partner Gardner's needed all season.

I agree he needed to get him back in there.  This wasn't a teaching moment game, this was a do or die and the season depends on it game.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 09:13:27 AM »
Yeah, I apparently missed that somewhere as well

He said it on Twitter. Check my last posts

brandx

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 09:15:40 AM »
1.  Deonte, awesome game.   I understand why Buzz pulled him when he did.   He had made two bad turnovers and taken a bad shot.    But if this was a portent of things to come, sign me up.
2.   Todd, tale of two halves.   I wanted him out of the game in the first half, but fully expected him to go off in the second.
3.   It was clear that X made taking Jake out of the game a priority.    He had a couple of looks that he probably should have taken, but not many.
4.   Should have been a flagrant on that foul on Davante.    And he should have demanded the ball every time until he demolished that guy.
5.   When Derrick feels that best option is for him to attack the glass, you know the offense has hit a stagnant spot.
7.   This team's template is to not be able to get the big defensive stop.   Previous teams under Buzz could.   The coach hasn't changed.   The scheme hasn't changed.   
8.   Buzz finally started Deonte. 
9.   Deonte got more run.   Todd got all the run he wanted in the second half after a dreadful first half.   Dawson got run in the first half after Derrick's foul trouble.   It mattered not.     
10.   Jamil, Jake, and Chris, basically invisible, especially at winning time.   

1. 20 seconds in the last 5 minutes was ridiculous. We were behind, we needed to score.

3. But Buzz still gave him more minutes than anyone else on the team. And his defense on Christon was a joke.

5. When derrick is in the game, the offense is usually stagnant.

7. But we still don't see enough of the best offensive players.

8. Yeah - only took 32 games. Woo-Hoo!!

9. Absolutely did matter. Otherwise the game would have been over by half. But as Buzz showed this year - if something is working - stop it and give more minutes to Jake and DW.

10. Still. 32 games into the season. And yet there they are at crunch time every game not getting the job done.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 09:19:59 AM »
Seasonal if not X thoughts:

-never thought I'd miss hearing about the deflections per game.

-which leads to no deflections, no easy fast break baskets, which used to be our calling card.

+1   There are a number of reasons why people don't want to hear it, mostly because it came from the old regime.  Nevertheless, the stat is there for the very reasons you state....deflected balls often lead to steals which lead to fast break points

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 09:37:02 AM »
So Jamil has been injured the last month? Anyone know the nature/severity/date of injury?

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »
So Jamil has been injured the last month? Anyone know the nature/severity/date of injury?

Yeah the dreaded 'lack of heart' injury.
MU15

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 09:43:55 AM »
Yeah the dreaded 'lack of heart' injury.

Lol, I think you could be right.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 09:45:06 AM »
There was zero reason for Burton to be on the bench for 6:30 of the last 7:00 minutes of the game.  NONE.

People can talk all they want about Burton forcing a few shots, or having a turnover as being reasons he should come to the bench.  Here's the deal:  He's a freaking go to guy - can get a shot off any time he wants, and is a far better option shooting the ball on the team/attacking the basket than anyone other than "good" Todd.

Burton is the supreme talent on this team, and it is obvious.  Look at him like a Kobe/Jordan/Durant/Westbrook....whoever...you want him getting the ball and taking the shots.  He was 9 of 14 last night for God's sakes...

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 09:54:32 AM »
There was zero reason for Burton to be on the bench for 6:30 of the last 7:00 minutes of the game.  NONE.

People can talk all they want about Burton forcing a few shots, or having a turnover as being reasons he should come to the bench.  Here's the deal:  He's a freaking go to guy - can get a shot off any time he wants, and is a far better option shooting the ball on the team/attacking the basket than anyone other than "good" Todd.

Burton is the supreme talent on this team, and it is obvious.  Look at him like a Kobe/Jordan/Durant/Westbrook....whoever...you want him getting the ball and taking the shots.  He was 9 of 14 last night for God's sakes...

I agree with you largely.  After that run of bad possessions, he should have sat for a minute or two to remind him to pick his spots a little better, then right back into the fray.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 09:59:14 AM »
I agree with you largely.  After that run of bad possessions, he should have sat for a minute or two to remind him to pick his spots a little better, then right back into the fray.

Or Buzz could have yelled at him as he ran down the court the next time, 'hey, pick your spots better.' Though players may have started to ignore him since he seems to be a foot or two out on the floor constantly yelling during the run of play.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:01:12 AM by melissasmooth »
MU15

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 10:02:14 AM »
He said it on Twitter. Check my last posts

Ummm, yeah, I do have issues with that if true.....need to take a deep breadth on that and reexamine the pieces before coming to a conclusion.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 10:37:50 AM »

Ners: You are forgetting the prime reason; Buzz plays the guys he thinks give him the best chance to win--as explained by a 17-15 record. It is Buzz's way.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 10:50:34 AM »
11. based off his demeanor and lack of engaggement during time outs, JJJ has mentally quit on this team, matter of time before the transfer announcement,.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 11:02:53 AM »
I mentioned it at the time: 2:35 to go in the game and we WALK the ball up the court.
Win or lose I want MU to have a sense of urgency.  It was an entertaining game despite the outcome.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 11:07:51 AM »
11. based off his demeanor and lack of engaggement during time outs, JJJ has mentally quit on this team, matter of time before the transfer announcement,.

I have noticed his demeanor and think the same thing. He did seem more engaged last night though I thought.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 11:09:03 AM »
I think buzz should have played Burton 30 minutes.

Having said that, when Burton went out in the second half, we scored on 5 of the next 6 possessions and had 12 points.

We really missed Burton in the last 5 minutes when we got scored on 11 of the last 14 possessions and missed the offensive game we had earlier.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 12:00:42 PM »
Because ... um ... Todd is a decent offensive basketball player with a little quickness and Jake isn't?

Watch them for 10 seconds and it's pretty easy to understand.

Agree that this is a factor, disagree that it is the main factor. Xavier made it a point to have someone in Jake's pocket all night. They didn't with Mayo. This is why Jake on the floor is essential. He spaces out the floor. Makes it 4 on 4. Gives us driving room and room to work the post
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 12:02:55 PM »

Said Jamil has been playing through injury for 3 weeks
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback