[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 18, 2024, 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 18, 2024, 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: X thoughts  (Read 7105 times)

mattyv1908

• All American
Re: X thoughts
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 12:04:24 PM »
Agree that this is a factor, disagree that it is the main factor. Xavier made it a point to have someone in Jake's pocket all night. They didn't with Mayo. This is why Jake on the floor is essential. He spaces out the floor. Makes it 4 on 3. Gives us driving room and room to work the post

I corrected you.  In theory you're correct but you have to account for a sagging defender off of our PG who wouldn't garner a response from the defense if he pump faked from 3.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 12:06:50 PM »
11. based off his demeanor and lack of engaggement during time outs, JJJ has mentally quit on this team, matter of time before the transfer announcement,.

I saw a very engaged and excited JJJ. Not sure what you saw
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 12:07:06 PM »
I corrected you.  In theory you're correct but you have to account for a sagging defender off of our PG who wouldn't garner a response from the defense if he pump faked from 3.

Fair enough
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 12:08:24 PM »
11. Mayo got a few possessions as the point guard. They didn't go well. However, it gives me hope that Buzz is willing to try it. If Mayo could work on it during the offseason....I would love him at the 1 and Derrick back as the backup
TAMU

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 01:11:53 PM »
11. Mayo got a few possessions as the point guard. They didn't go well. However, it gives me hope that Buzz is willing to try it. If Mayo could work on it during the offseason....I would love him at the 1 and Derrick back as the backup

It would be awesome if it comes to fruition. I think Todd has the ability, he just needs to get used to playing at the 1 and the major differences between that spot and the 2. If Du. Wilson is as good as advertised, that could be a really fun backcourt.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 01:19:44 PM »
It would be awesome if it comes to fruition. I think Todd has the ability, he just needs to get used to playing at the 1 and the major differences between that spot and the 2. If Du. Wilson is as good as advertised, that could be a really fun backcourt.

Not going to happen with Buzz--he will hang with Derrick--has to, because of the stand he has taken.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 01:31:48 PM »
Not going to happen with Buzz--he will hang with Derrick--has to, because of the stand he has taken.

I can hear Buzz now " we aren't a very good team, but we have a game changer at pg and he's the best defensive player I have ever coached and I am going ride him as long as I can, because he plays to my scouting report and he practices hard which gives us our best chance to win games"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2014, 01:36:25 PM »
Agree that this is a factor, disagree that it is the main factor. Xavier made it a point to have someone in Jake's pocket all night. They didn't with Mayo. This is why Jake on the floor is essential. He spaces out the floor. Makes it 4 on 4. Gives us driving room and room to work the post

They didn't with Mayo ... or they couldn't with Mayo because he didn't just stand in one spot for 5, 10 seconds at a time.

Probably a little of each.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 01:37:29 PM »

At the beginning of the year I was hoping Mayo would start playing some real minutes at the point, but he is so darned loose with the ball/bordering on careless, I can understand why Buzz was reticent about doing it.  Something had to be done to make room for our scorers, and we never could find the right combination consistently.  I keep coming back to the fact that DeWil was not the PG we needed, and we didn't have anyone else that Buzz thought was better.  And after watching Mayo, Dawson and JWil try it, I'm not sure he was wrong, though Dawson has a chance to be a pretty good one in a year or two.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2014, 01:38:57 PM »
They didn't with Mayo ... or they couldn't with Mayo because he didn't just stand in one spot for 5, 10 seconds at a time.

Probably a little of each.

You can't just get up in Mayo's grill because he can blow by you.  No such worries when guarding Thomas. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 09:41:54 AM »
At the beginning of the year I was hoping Mayo would start playing some real minutes at the point, but he is so darned loose with the ball/bordering on careless, I can understand why Buzz was reticent about doing it.  Something had to be done to make room for our scorers, and we never could find the right combination consistently.  I keep coming back to the fact that DeWil was not the PG we needed, and we didn't have anyone else that Buzz thought was better.  And after watching Mayo, Dawson and JWil try it, I'm not sure he was wrong, though Dawson has a chance to be a pretty good one in a year or two.

I agree with his looseness. I'm glad Buzz tried it but I think everyone saw that Mayo at 1 was not the solution. But it's a long time between now and November, lots of time to tighten things up. Hell, if Mayo really wants to try for the NBA he needs to do that anyway because he is not sized for 2 in that league.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 10:48:44 AM »
I agree with his looseness. I'm glad Buzz tried it but I think everyone saw that Mayo at 1 was not the solution. But it's a long time between now and November, lots of time to tighten things up. Hell, if Mayo really wants to try for the NBA he needs to do that anyway because he is not sized for 2 in that league.

While I think Mayo's looseness could impact his performance as a point guard, I think the bigger issue is that he is generally a 'me first' kind of player. I can't see him evolving into a solid passing PG, simply as he tends to make things happen by attacking the basket and shooting, not passing. He has a scorer's mentality, not a passer's.

In this way, it reminds me a bit of Jerel playing some PG. He, too, was an aggressive slashing 2 whose handle was sometimes loose. When he played some PG, he didn't really succeed, in part because he seemed to often be looking to create for himself rather than for others.

It's ok to have a PG that is a scorer, but I think a PG has to first look to create for his team. My fantasy is that Duane Wilson becomes both for MU, if not at the beginning of next season then as the season progresses.

feedback