Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coach Williams - Seeing the Game Through a Different Lens  (Read 17631 times)

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
Coach Williams - Seeing the Game Through a Different Lens
« on: March 14, 2014, 03:54:14 AM »
Coach Williams, during the post game interview, said it as clearly as possible. He sees the game through a different lens.

Despite all the second guessing this year, when one reflects, he coached exactly like he did last year. That is, he sees the game first and foremost from the defensive end. The game begins and ends there for Coach Williams, and his coaching revolves around defense first and last.

This defense orientation, combined with the work ethic culture, has resulted in Warrior success and his "type of guys" getting shots and playing in the NBA.

He did not use hockey type line changes during his first years at Marquette, simply because he did not have any bench. Once he got teams with some depth, Coach Williams started his revolving check-in ... seemingly every 30 seconds.

It has been pointed out by Homer, national announcers, opposing coaches, et al., that he substitutes maybe more than any other coach has ever done.

Why did he change lines, and take micro-management to a new level? One has to go back to his view/emphasis on defense. His "lens" has everything revolve around defense. (That is why, as he has said, D. Wilson and J. Thomas play as many minutes as they do, and D. Gardner was used less.)

He did the same thing two years ago as the team dept increased, and questions were raised then about substitutions. But, the Warriors won and went to the "Sweet 16." Coach Williams did it even more last year, questions were raised again, but, hey, the Warriors went to the "elite 8" and it was all forgotten.

He did it again this year ... that is, focus on defense and substitute like crazy with an almost total focus on stopping the other team ... this year it did not work.

It did not work for all the myriad of reasons posted with increasing frustration on this board. But, it mainly boils down to one, not having guards; and, two, Coach Williams not adapting his defense to his "talent" and the changing nature of big time college basketball. (Coach Williams is also obsessive about playing man-to-man as much as possible, maybe because "tuff" guys play only man-to-man.)

I respect Coach Williams' philosophy. He is unbending on what he thinks will work and what is right. However, one must ask, if Coach Williams' entire philosophy begins and ends with defense, then why did he not become more creative in his types of defenses, and why did he not mix them up more to cover the holes the team obviously had?

No, Coach Williams did not forget how to coach this year. As in the past, he continued to focus on defense, but did not show the flexibility to come-up with more creative and changing defenses during the season and during games.

Norm

• All American
Re: Coach Williams - Seeing the Game Through a Different Lens
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 07:12:26 AM »
For emphasizing defense, MU isn't that great a defensive team. Did not seem to get many turkeys this year.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 07:15:07 AM »
17-15 again next year, and he might be out on the street with a totally different lens.
MU15

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 07:22:06 AM »
17-15 again next year, and he might be out on the street with a totally different lens.

i understand your frustration, but i believe there will be a lot of reflection and with the new guys coming in, i hope he develops a different approach/changes lenses
don't...don't don't don't don't

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 07:31:20 AM »
Our starting guards were terrible all around all year - including the defensive end.  Whoever thinks DW is an above average defender is "seeing the game through a different lens".  He and Jake have been torched all year by the other teams' guards.  Our frontcourt just was not good enough to make for the difference.

What in the world was DW turning around and looking at all last night out on the perimeter, while the X guards went by him at will.  I assume it was to see where a pick was coming from, but they burned us all night with this tactic, and nothing ever changed.  Sometimes his head was still looking towards the basket when the defender was already by him.  I don't know who came up with this method of playing defense, but it's pathetic.

BTW, the same thing happened at the end of the St Johns game when Harrison was 25' from the basket, who isn't exactly a driving guard.  Instead of just playing defense, DW is turned around and too busy checking out where everyone else is on the court.  Boom - 3 pointer before he even notices what's going on.  Game over.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 07:54:40 AM »
Coach Williams, during the post game interview, said it as clearly as possible. He sees the game through a different lens.

Despite all the second guessing this year, when one reflects, he coached exactly like he did last year. That is, he sees the game first and foremost from the defensive end. The game begins and ends there for Coach Williams, and his coaching revolves around defense first and last.

This defense orientation, combined with the work ethic culture, has resulted in Warrior success and his "type of guys" getting shots and playing in the NBA.

He did not use hockey type line changes during his first years at Marquette, simply because he did not have any bench. Once he got teams with some depth, Coach Williams started his revolving check-in ... seemingly every 30 seconds.

It has been pointed out by Homer, national announcers, opposing coaches, et al., that he substitutes maybe more than any other coach has ever done.

Why did he change lines, and take micro-management to a new level? One has to go back to his view/emphasis on defense. His "lens" has everything revolve around defense. (That is why, as he has said, D. Wilson and J. Thomas play as many minutes as they do, and D. Gardner was used less.)

He did the same thing two years ago as the team dept increased, and questions were raised then about substitutions. But, the Warriors won and went to the "Sweet 16." Coach Williams did it even more last year, questions were raised again, but, hey, the Warriors went to the "elite 8" and it was all forgotten.

He did it again this year ... that is, focus on defense and substitute like crazy with an almost total focus on stopping the other team ... this year it did not work.

It did not work for all the myriad of reasons posted with increasing frustration on this board. But, it mainly boils down to one, not having guards; and, two, Coach Williams not adapting his defense to his "talent" and the changing nature of big time college basketball. (Coach Williams is also obsessive about playing man-to-man as much as possible, maybe because "tuff" guys play only man-to-man.)

I respect Coach Williams' philosophy. He is unbending on what he thinks will work and what is right. However, one must ask, if Coach Williams' entire philosophy begins and ends with defense, then why did he not become more creative in his types of defenses, and why did he not mix them up more to cover the holes the team obviously had?

No, Coach Williams did not forget how to coach this year. As in the past, he continued to focus on defense, but did not show the flexibility to come-up with more creative and changing defenses during the season and during games.
Yup--"obsessive", "unbending", could be used interchangeably with "stubborn" or "my way or the highway". His defense this year was not good--could not defend the three; centers playing out of position; did not get the stops; and the beat goes on.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 08:16:43 AM »
I like this original post and I'll say this...there is no doubt Buzz is unconventional. Whether it is "paint touches" or playing guys solely for defense, you cannot argue with his success save this year. I'll tell you another thing, whether you admit it or not, we are a well coached team. The results were not there this year for whatever reason. But our team is doing exactly what they are told to do. Not a game goes by when I see a team (other than Marquette) doing things Buzz would never tolerate. DePaul is a perfect example. That Garrett kid is a good player, but my god he jacks up shots early in possessions and I always thing to myself, "that'd never fly with Buzz."

Another thing, we all get frustrated watching but one thing I was never frustrated with all season long was the hustle our team played with. I cannot remember a single game where we looked disinterested or disengaged. That is coaching.

It didn't workout this year. But is has worked in the past and it will work again.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 08:32:49 AM »
Cracked Sidewalks tweeted out their offensive and defensive numbers, and MU's defense has been pretty poor under Buzz.

Might be time to get the prescription checked on that lens.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 08:33:03 AM »
Our starting guards were terrible all around all year - including the defensive end.  Whoever thinks DW is an above average defender is "seeing the game through a different lens".  He and Jake have been torched all year by the other teams' guards.  Our frontcourt just was not good enough to make for the difference.

What in the world was DW turning around and looking at all last night out on the perimeter, while the X guards went by him at will.  I assume it was to see where a pick was coming from, but they burned us all night with this tactic, and nothing ever changed.  Sometimes his head was still looking towards the basket when the defender was already by him.  I don't know who came up with this method of playing defense, but it's pathetic.

BTW, the same thing happened at the end of the St Johns game when Harrison was 25' from the basket, who isn't exactly a driving guard.  Instead of just playing defense, DW is turned around and too busy checking out where everyone else is on the court.  Boom - 3 pointer before he even notices what's going on.  Game over.

I don't disagree with you.  However, what better options did he have for defense at the guard positions?

I think Buzz knew what he was going to get this year from his guards.  The biggest disappointment for him must be the lack of productivity from Jamil.  His consistent inconsistency hurt the team the most over the course of the season.  It's too bad, because Jamil's a great guy.  I really like him.  Hope he can get it together in the NIT, and showcase the talent Buzz was hoping for this season.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 08:45:44 AM »
This thread brought to you by

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 08:48:24 AM »
You would think his offense defense substitutions will decrease a little with the loss of Gardner and Chris, those guys have been around a long time.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 08:52:13 AM »
What is amazing to me is that he is calling out multiple man to man defenses. IE 1-4 black.  Meaning he has multiple defensive sets with multiple defensive rotations, for help,  and doubling in his defenses.

Yet his team has poor basic fundamentals.  And this goes for every player on the floor.  Basic closeout techniques.  Basic help and recover.  Basic weak side positioning.  Something was very very wrong with the MU defense this season and from a armchair coaches perspective.  He was trying to do advacned concepts and almost every player hasnt figured out team defense 101 yet.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:53:46 AM by CoachesCorner »
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 08:54:21 AM »
Yet his team has poor basic fundamentals.  And this goes for every player on the floor.  Basic closeout techniques.  Basic help and recover.  Basic weak side positioning.  Something was very very wrong with the MU defense this season and from a armchair coaches perspective.  He was trying to do advacned concepts and almost every play hasnt figured out team defense 101 yet.

Well said. Their base man defense is putrid, and he's putting in advanced looks based on the scouting report.

Frustrating to say the least.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 08:56:13 AM »
I don't disagree with you.  However, what better options did he have for defense at the guard positions?

I think Buzz knew what he was going to get this year from his guards.  The biggest disappointment for him must be the lack of productivity from Jamil.  His consistent inconsistency hurt the team the most over the course of the season.  It's too bad, because Jamil's a great guy.  I really like him.  Hope he can get it together in the NIT, and showcase the talent Buzz was hoping for this season.

Jamil is not a superstar.  He is a guy who needs room to operate, and with the lack of threats elsewhere on the floor, he didn't have the space this year that he has had in years past when defenses were also occupied with the likes of Crowder, DJO, Blue, Lockett, etc.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 08:57:51 AM »
What is amazing to me is that he is calling out multiple man to man defenses. IE 1-4 black.  Meaning he has multiple defensive sets with multiple defensive rotations, for help,  and doubling in his defenses.

Yet his team has poor basic fundamentals.  And this goes for every player on the floor.  Basic closeout techniques.  Basic help and recover.  Basic weak side positioning.  Something was very very wrong with the MU defense this season and from a armchair coaches perspective.  He was trying to do advacned concepts and almost every player hasnt figured out team defense 101 yet.

Man philosophy to start but really with the weak side defender helping out, almost a zone.  Problem is, weakside O player gets open 3 all the time.  If you have a player who can hit the shot, you lose all the time, wide open.  That is why Creighton killed MU twice.  Plus MU guards were not quick this year, Todd is a step slow, Wilson and Thomas average at best at keeping there player in front of them.  Semi and most points killed Derrick this year, that was as big a problem as there was.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 09:11:29 AM »
Man philosophy to start but really with the weak side defender helping out, almost a zone.  Problem is, weakside O player gets open 3 all the time.  If you have a player who can hit the shot, you lose all the time, wide open.  That is why Creighton killed MU twice.  Plus MU guards were not quick this year, Todd is a step slow, Wilson and Thomas average at best at keeping there player in front of them.  Semi and most points killed Derrick this year, that was as big a problem as there was.

There is nothing wrong with the philosophy.  Its the implementation.  Same concepts Bennette uses in virginia.(and all over the country)  Its a matter of focus, and effort when going from weakside to ball side, IE closing out.  MUs guys should be moving when the ball is being released from the passers hands and going as fast as humanly possible to a proper closeout on a shooter.  Time and time again MUs defenders wait till the ball is half way there to react and close out standing straight up or even worse make almost no effort to get there.  Whats even worse the help defenders are in position but never step up to stop the ball.  Just fundamental lapses all over the floor.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 09:20:15 AM »
There is nothing wrong with the philosophy.  Its the implementation.  Same concepts Bennette uses in virginia.(and all over the country)  Its a matter of focus, and effort when going from weakside to ball side, IE closing out.  MUs guys should be moving when the ball is being released from the passers hands and going as fast as humanly possible to a proper closeout on a shooter.  Time and time again MUs defenders wait till the ball is half way there to react and close out standing straight up or even worse make almost no effort to get there.  Whats even worse the help defenders are in position but never step up to stop the ball.  Just fundamental lapses all over the floor.

The philosophy might be right but as you say and we saw all year, it did not work.  Might as well play a straight man to man much like Wisconsin does.  There problem is there guards are not that quick either and good guards can create and beat there man off the dribble.  Rather be like Syracuse, just play a 2-3 zone and take away the dribble drive and uncontested open threes.
Boeheim must know something after 900 or so victories. 

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 09:21:08 AM »
I absolutely agree that Buzz is now and has always been focused on defense first.  He is also completely obsessed with individual possessions.  Several weeks ago he said on his show that "I'm trying to find a way to get one or two more scoring possessions'.  This is why Dawson comes out after a single mistake.  This is why we go offense - defense with centers early in the game.
I think many of the posters on this board claim that they can't understand why Buzz puts in or pulls a guy would understand better what he is doing if they would understand how he thinks.  They might not like it but they would understand it.  Then once you understand it you have to say that this coach is a little weird and different than most BUT over the long term he has OVER PREFORMED.
The problem Buzz had this year is that unlike in past years with Lazar, Jimmy, Jae, Vander his best players on defense WERE NOT his best players on offense.  In fact his best players on defense were his WORST players on offense.  I think it took him all year to find a compromise he could live with.  MU was hard to watch earlier in the year.  The OSU, Wis, New Mexico and Butler 2nd half away games are exhibits 1-4.  The last 8 games despite most of them being loses the Offense has flowed much better.  That tells me that Buzz did adapt and learn and the fact that he did and the fact that he is still a fairly young coach give me hope.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 09:25:47 AM »
The philosophy might be right but as you say and we saw all year, it did not work.  Might as well play a straight man to man much like Wisconsin does.  There problem is there guards are not that quick either and good guards can create and beat there man off the dribble.  Rather be like Syracuse, just play a 2-3 zone and take away the dribble drive and uncontested open threes.
Boeheim must know something after 900 or so victories. 

I think either way works.  But you need to pick one and stick with it.  And rep the fundamentals over and over.  BTW UW plays help side the same way MU does.  and almost every team in the country that plays man to man.  UW closes out aggresively as to not give up the 3.  Instead would rather give up the mid range pull up.  But I can assure you they play sagging help side.  Just like MU.  They are just more disciplined.  But if you notice with their technique they have trouble with penatration at times during the year.  Bo has altered his D a bit because of how close and easy the 3pt shot is.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 09:34:10 AM »
I think either way works.  But you need to pick one and stick with it.  And rep the fundamentals over and over.  BTW UW plays help side the same way MU does.  and almost every team in the country that plays man to man.  UW closes out aggresively as to not give up the 3.  Instead would rather give up the mid range pull up.  But I can assure you they play sagging help side.  Just like MU.  They are just more disciplined.  But if you notice with their technique they have trouble with penatration at times during the year.  Bo has altered his D a bit because of how close and easy the 3pt shot is.

Bo's philosophy has changed a little bit on the pick and roll that killed him, particularly against a team that can shoot.  The defensive man would go below the pick giving the Offensive player an open shot all time, now they are trying to go above the pick much like MU at times but the bigs do not go to half court like MU player does, and at times the MU big picked up a stupid foul 35 feet from the basket.  Devonte was a defensive liability, does not block out at all, and had no lateral quickness.  They will be a different defensive team next year, probably better at times.
They should have found tapes on Wes Unseld to show him how to play, that dude could rebound.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 09:42:15 AM »
Buzz saw the game through a foggy lens all year long in my opinion. I really just think he is not a very good in game coach. Great guy, recruiter, leader...his game day coaching left a lot to be desired this year, be it rotations or in game adjustments. He has obviously earned the benefit of the doubt and hoping this was just a one year blip and he learns from it.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 09:45:31 AM »
"Wilson and Thomas average at best at keeping there player in front of them."
IMO, they are worse than average on defense, much worse than average on offense.
Got torched night in and night out against the decent teams on our schedule.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 09:51:30 AM »
IMO, they are worse than average on defense, much worse than average on offense.

Last night was a perfect example of fundamental flaws at the end of the half.  Lets not even get into May going to the hoop with 12 seconds left...

The last posession on d of the first half:

Thomas is challenging Christon way too far out on the floor.  Almost 25ft from the hoop.
This causes him to get blown by right away.
Jamil and 2 others are in position to force a pass(and a last second tough shot by someone other then their star) and step in and help.  None of them do.
Christon gets all the way to the hoop.
None of the help defenders were even in a defensive stance.  All standing basically straight up.

Why is this a big deal?
This is a win or go home game.   At this point a tie game in the last seconds of the half at the end of the season.  And the players arent even focused enough to guard where they should or get in a stance to help and recover.

Lack of focus and effort.  Hard to understand.  Especially from your senior leaders...

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »

There has been enough bashing of those 2 guys this year, blame Buzz he recruited Derrick, Jake was just a walk-on, considering that he was pretty good.  Blame Buzz on either not starting Mayo
all year or finding a better 2 guard, everybody thought it was JJJ, but it was not.  Did JJJ have a scholarship to Memphis?  Just curious, if not, there must have been a reason Pastner did not recruit him?

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 10:03:26 AM »
What I find frustrating is that Buzz's defense is so difficult to understand he cannot trust freshmen to play.

And yet, his defense is not effective.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.