Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Todd Mayo Last 9 Games vs first 20  (Read 6388 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Todd Mayo Last 9 Games vs first 20
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2014, 10:08:41 AM »
LOL! You are so ridiculous. You're dug in on this thing, and that has caused some blinders where Mayo is concerned, but reading the comment above, its as if Mayo's two turnovers in the last minute and a half, or TWICE fouling a on a made three pointer didn't happen. For as much good as he did, how's that game end up if you take away just one of this poor plays/decisions, by a guard most definitely named Mayo.

I know, I know, in your odd little basketball world, this will somehow translate to me  defending Derrick Wilson, because that is always what you have to resort to when your quest for easy answers can't be supported.

LOL - I'll be happy to argue all day long with you how the Providence game and St. John's would have gone had Mayo not been on the floor.  Be happy to discuss how he single handedly got team to OT against Nova at Bradley Center.  This whole thread is simply about Mayo's value to the team.  But, if you want to know...yeah...I'm going to give a little more cushion/grace to a guy who scores 26 points and gets 3 assists than to a guy who scores 1 point, 3 assists and 5 turnovers in 37 minutes...in addition to committing a complete bone headed play on an inbounds play on a guy 40 feet from the basket with 8 seconds left in a game..

WE aren't even in the vicinity of a win against Prov or St. John's without Todd...so I can live with a couple of fouls on made 3 point shots..as we ultimately ended up in Overtime and had the game in our hands..only to see our fabulous PG NOT inbound the ball to Todd...and choose Jake instead...and then Jake brain farting...yet still have the game in our hands to only go foul an 85% FT shooter 40' from the basket on an inbound play.

Talk about living in an odd little basketball world....
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2014, 10:14:15 AM »
So we can use Matty's advanced stats to support Dawson over Derrick, but we can't use Todd's stats the last 9 games as an argument for more minutes/that he should have gotten more minutes all year long?  Okay.

I'm not speaking for everybody, but plenty of folks here believe Mayo should have played more all season long. A lot more.

My argument, and I think the argument of others, is that one cannot know if playing Mayo more would have guaranteed 1, 2 or 3 more wins or 1, 2 or 3 more losses. We simply can't know it, so folks should stop stating their opinions on one side or the other of this "debate" as facts.

I wish Mayo had played a lot more. I wish JJJ and Dawson had played some more. I wish Derrick had played a lot less. I wish Jake had played some less.

All that wishing doesn't mean that if my wishes had come true we'd be dancing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2014, 10:17:42 AM »
I'm not speaking for everybody, but plenty of folks here believe Mayo should have played more all season long. A lot more.

My argument, and I think the argument of others, is that one cannot know if playing Mayo more would have guaranteed 1, 2 or 3 more wins or 1, 2 or 3 more losses. We simply can't know it, so folks should stop stating their opinions on one side or the other of this "debate" as facts.

I wish Mayo had played a lot more. I wish JJJ and Dawson had played some more. I wish Derrick had played a lot less. I wish Jake had played some less.

All that wishing doesn't mean that if my wishes had come true we'd be dancing.

If you can find where I said I'll guarantee you it would have resulted in more wins...I'd agree.  I made the statement - I'd ARGUE we'd have won 3+ more games.  Some agree..some don't...yet looking at all available data/stats...it doesn't seem to be a stretch to think based on Todd's production we've seen over last 9 games...we left a good number of points from the guard position on the bench...on a team that desperately need point production from guard spot.  No reason Todd should have only averaged 23 minutes per game on this team...and as you point out...most everyone can agree on that point.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2014, 10:24:46 AM »
The advanced stats do not suggest Dawson over Derrick.

I'd like to get that on record as even though D Wilson is not a good PG at this level our offense is more efficient with him in the game over Dawson at this point.

Whoever asserted I felt that way earlier in this thread can I please be absolved of my association with that claim?
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2014, 01:04:12 PM »
If you can find where I said I'll guarantee you it would have resulted in more wins...I'd agree.  I made the statement - I'd ARGUE we'd have won 3+ more games.  Some agree..some don't...yet looking at all available data/stats...it doesn't seem to be a stretch to think based on Todd's production we've seen over last 9 games...we left a good number of points from the guard position on the bench...on a team that desperately need point production from guard spot.  No reason Todd should have only averaged 23 minutes per game on this team...and as you point out...most everyone can agree on that point.

Fair enough. Didn't mean to misrepresent you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2014, 05:16:07 PM »
Yes they do, as Rocky points out above, MU is the same medeocre team with Mayo playing more minutes as they were when he wasn't.

No they aren't.

They won 1 more game. Two of the losses came in a total of 4 OTs by 2 pts. If Derrick didn't literally hand providence the game we got that one. In the 1st 9 we had the awful butler loss and barely beat SHU and DePaul at home.

The other two losses were to just flat out better teams mostly due to the fact that they dont start the worst starting lineup in D1.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »
No they aren't.

They won 1 more game. Two of the losses came in a total of 4 OTs by 2 pts. If Derrick didn't literally hand providence the game we got that one. In the 1st 9 we had the awful butler loss and barely beat SHU and DePaul at home.

Yep, and in the first half, they easily handled providence, took Villanova to OT, and in the second half, they also barely beat DePaul. As I said, same mediocre team they were all year. I guess Mayo gets credit for almost making them good.

feedback