[Today at 08:14:24 PM]

Incoming freshmen by tower912
[Today at 08:06:40 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by The Equalizer
[Today at 05:10:01 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Hards Alumni
[Today at 05:06:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: St John's thoughts  (Read 12882 times)

tower912

• All American
St John's thoughts
« on: March 08, 2014, 02:00:41 PM »
1.   Season in a microcosm.   
2.   Once again, it wasn't for lack of effort.
3.   Thank you, seniors
4.   Deonte will be the leader next year.
5.   The officiating was like MU was on the road.   Every close call over the last 10 minutes of regulation and the two OT's went against MU.
6.   6 pts in 11 seconds?    Wow.   
7.   The final play started to break down when Deonte and Davante went to the exact same spot in the low block.   IMO, it was supposed to be an entry pass to Gardner, but a freshman mistake sent DG to the high post and ended with a little weave and Jamil not wanting to force it and defaulting to ....well, you know the rest.    Since the play had broken down, the senior, the leader, the most athletically gifted player has to make the play.   Story of the year.   In a single play.     
8.   SJU is more athletic.   Harrison is fearless.    And they went for him.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

netty24

• Starter
Re: St John's thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 02:02:47 PM »
3.   Thank you, seniors
5.   The officiating was like MU was on the road.   Every close call over the last 10 minutes of regulation and the two OT's went against MU.
7.   The final play started to break down when Deonte and Davante went to the exact same spot in the low block.   IMO, it was supposed to be an entry pass to Gardner, but a freshman mistake sent DG to the high post and ended with a little weave and Jamil not wanting to force it and defaulting to ....well, you know the rest.    Since the play had broken down, the senior, the leader, the most athletically gifted player has to make the play.   Story of the year.   In a single play.     

Well said. That 3 by Harrison was ridiculous. Great game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 02:03:24 PM »
3.   Thank you, seniors

#5  Disagree.  They had two guys foul out before we had one guy foul out.

#6   That was a gag job by SJU.  Terrible in bound play.  Then you get fouled and an 80% free thrower can't hit a FT, then you let MU come down and score.

#7  We spent too much time dribbling around with very little movement by others.  Stagnant

We got a lot of help to get it to OT

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 02:07:46 PM »
There wasn't a breakdown between Burton and Gardner...you aren't trying to get to your go to attempt at the 8 second mark and Gardner and Burton were trying to get into a favorable switch..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brandx

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 02:08:35 PM »
Well said. That 3 by Harrison was ridiculous. Great game.

He shoots that shot a lot over the course of the season. And the defender (Wilson) was looking the other way. Had no clue Harrison even took the shot until after the fact.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 02:09:30 PM »
There wasn't a breakdown between Burton and Gardner...you aren't trying to get to your go to attempt at the 8 second mark and Gardner and Burton were trying to get into a favorable switch..

You are way wrong Ners.  Watch the replay.  Burton was completely lost as to where to go.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 02:10:56 PM »
You are way wrong Ners.  Watch the replay.  Burton was completely lost as to where to go.

I watched the replay...and disagree..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »
Good post Tower. But I'm not sure I'm ready to anoint Deonte the leader next year...I think Mayo will have something to say about that. And for the good of the team I hope I'm right.  He could have a very special season next year
No Finish Line

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 02:11:56 PM »
I watched the replay...and disagree..

For someone that supposedly knows a lot about Basketball, you are apparently incapable of breaking down film and diagnosing what went wrong.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 02:12:12 PM »
3.   Thank you, seniors

No mention of your hero De.Wilson's ineptness. He blew his D on Harrison--took his eyes off him and let him drain the shot. The lockdown gamechanger. And then the dribbling around the perimeter, only to take the game changing shot which of course he choked on. The guy should be on the bench, with his arm around Buzz.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 02:12:45 PM »
#5  Disagree.  They had two guys foul out before we had one guy foul out.

#6   That was a gag job by SJU.  Terrible in bound play.  Then you get fouled and an 80% free thrower can't hit a FT, then you let MU come down and score.

#7  We spent too much time dribbling around with very little movement by others.  Stagnant

We got a lot of help to get it to OT

If anyone ever finds a way to rob Marquette of credit, it is you.  See Davidson game in NCAA opener last year. I'm not even sure you're aware that you do it, but you do
No Finish Line

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 02:13:24 PM »

Agreed. Burton was lost and screwed up.

He is a frosh and gets a pass on that.   DW taking the final shot is beyond absurd but is fitting considering how this season is turning out. Very disappointing...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 02:13:59 PM »
1) Didn't take advantage of STJ shooting 16 for 30 from free throw line.

2) Jamil missed a frontend late in regulation, then Mayo missed two and Gardner one ft in first OT.

3) On four occasions, MU could not inbound ball, three lead to turnovers and one a timeout. WTF?

4) No Taylor, Juan, JJJ and minimum Dawson.  Put me on the JJJ transfer train.

5) No Burton in last seven minutes, first OT, then a minute in 2nd OT.  UH??

6) 2nd to last possession with 40 seconds left, DWil dribbled top of key for 25 seconds, then Mayo had to take throwup shot, then lead to Mayo's fifth foul.  That was key possession and ugly.

7) Last possession, same dribbling around.  Not very skilled play.

8) Dwil had two points and played almost entire game.  

9) That Harrison three was sick, past NBA range.  Was a mental case, but he would have looked great in MU uniform.  

10) Two brutal losses in row, but came up short.  That 6 points in 11 seconds was awesome.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 02:14:40 PM »
Good teams do the little things to win; box out, rebound, d up, protect the ball and make free throws.  Please tell me which of these things MU did exceptionally well to win a critical, home game?

WarriorGreg1965

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 02:17:33 PM »
Burton did seem to blow his assignment.

But when you have a PG who has zero chance of making an open 8-10 ft shot, it makes everything that much harder.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 02:20:08 PM »
If anyone ever finds a way to rob Marquette of credit, it is you.  See Davidson game in NCAA opener last year. I'm not even sure you're aware that you do it, but you do

I give credit when credit is due.  Let me ask you this question, if MU was up 6 points with 11 seconds left and the other team forced OT what would you say?  To get there we had to foul them (they make 2 FTs),  then we had to inbound the ball to them for a layup (SJU should get an assist on that play), then after still leading by 2 we get fouled and missed the front end of a one and one and then we allowed them to come down and score.

I give MU the credit for staying in the game, making the shots....all I said is SJU provided the help....lots of it.  Sorry if you don't agree.  I suspect if the shoe was on the other foot and MU allowed someone else to do that to us, we would say we blew it.  I know for a fact if a certain other team allowed someone else to do it, 90% of people here would say they gagged.  Where's the consistency?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 02:23:04 PM »
Burton did seem to blow his assignment.

But when you have a PG who has zero chance of making an open 8-10 ft shot, it makes everything that much harder.

After watching it again, I'm not sure that Burton did blow his assignment.  I think he may have actually recognized the zone and he was suppose to be down low along the baseline.  Gardner I think may have been a little slow in recognizing the D (I had thought they wanted Burton at the high post against a zone, but think it was suppose to be Gardner there).  Burton was in no man's land because Gardner was still trying to set a double screen (can't against the zone) thinking it was man, instead of popping out to the FT line with Burton down low.

Burton had no where to go, but I'm not sure it was a missed assignment on his part.  More experience and I think he pops up to the high post and communicates to Gardner to take the low block.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 02:23:48 PM »
Let me ask you this question, if MU was up 6 points with 11 seconds left and the other team forced OT what would you say? 

You are consistent.   When that happened to MU, you did to a 500 word screed about peeing down the leg, or some such.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 02:25:41 PM »
Truth can set someone free.  Dodge it as you see fit

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 02:25:55 PM »
He shoots that shot a lot over the course of the season. And the defender (Wilson) was looking the other way. Had no clue Harrison even took the shot until after the fact.
exactly... the lockdown boy took a quick nap, and paid.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brandx

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 02:26:34 PM »

6) 2nd to last possession with 40 seconds left, DWil dribbled top of key for 25 seconds, then Mayo had to take throwup shot, then lead to Mayo's fifth foul.  That was key possession and ugly.

There were at least 4 times in the game where DW got the inbounds pass and dribbled - going nowhere - for over 20 seconds. It should never, ever even happen once unless you are in a slowdown late in the game.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 02:33:07 PM »
I give credit when credit is due.  Let me ask you this question, if MU was up 6 points with 11 seconds left and the other team forced OT what would you say?  To get there we had to foul them (they make 2 FTs),  then we had to inbound the ball to them for a layup (SJU should get an assist on that play), then after still leading by 2 we get fouled and missed the front end of a one and one and then we allowed them to come down and score.

I give MU the credit for staying in the game, making the shots....all I said is SJU provided the help....lots of it.  Sorry if you don't agree.  I suspect if the shoe was on the other foot and MU allowed someone else to do that to us, we would say we blew it.  I know for a fact if a certain other team allowed someone else to do it, 90% of people here would say they gagged.  Where's the consistency?

Situations like today's last 11 seconds of regulation can always be viewed two different ways, with both being equally accurate. One view says team A blew it. The other says team B seized the opportunity. What dictates that view is based on whether you're a fan of A or B, not whether you're on the side of reality vs bias

My point is, with you, you always recognize and emphasize the failure's of Marquette's opponent.  You never give equal credit to Marquette's successes.  What Marquette did in those 11 seconds, THEIR part in that, wasn't luck.  You fail to see that...ever.  It's more an attitude of yours that's consistent with much of what you post rather than playing the role of the "realist" as you try to defend it as being.  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:37:51 PM by NickelDimer »
No Finish Line

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 02:35:05 PM »
You are right Chicos.  I am glad we lost because had we won the game, I would have felt we did not deserve it and I would have had this empty feeling inside. 

Thank you for pointing that out to the rest of us.

I give credit when credit is due.  Let me ask you this question, if MU was up 6 points with 11 seconds left and the other team forced OT what would you say?  To get there we had to foul them (they make 2 FTs),  then we had to inbound the ball to them for a layup (SJU should get an assist on that play), then after still leading by 2 we get fouled and missed the front end of a one and one and then we allowed them to come down and score.

I give MU the credit for staying in the game, making the shots....all I said is SJU provided the help....lots of it.  Sorry if you don't agree.  I suspect if the shoe was on the other foot and MU allowed someone else to do that to us, we would say we blew it.  I know for a fact if a certain other team allowed someone else to do it, 90% of people here would say they gagged.  Where's the consistency?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 02:38:51 PM »

I will also give you credit for being very consistent on this type of issue both when MU comes from behind and when MU gives up a lead.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 02:42:40 PM »
1.  Buzz William's reluctance to let Todd Mayo have the roll he has now all season is the reason why we're 2-3 OOC wins and 1-2 conference wins shy of the NCAAT.  What a season he has had this year.  I hope that without question he continues to play this much next year.  He's earned his coach's trust at this point.

2.  I thought the refs allowed a lot of contact on Gardner early in this game.  He could have shot 20 FTs.

3.  If you want to sum up our PG play this season consider this.  Our starting PG nearly has the ball stripped when he's crossing half court so Buzz can call a TO.  It very well could have been a play on turnover.  If you can't maintain control of the basketball in that situation, what does that say?  Our backup PG had two turnovers in 90 seconds.  Great guard play guys.

4.  Gardner was getting a deserving ovation in regulation as he left the court when everyone in the building figured the game was over.  It's obvious he looked dejected losing his last home game of his career.  Why did it take Buzz two minutes into overtime to get him back in the game?  Did he view his player's frustration as sulking?

5.  We have NOBODY on the team other than Todd Mayo that can successfully dribble drive and get a shot.  Well we have Burton and Johnson and I know they're freshmen and all but it really hurts your team when you cannot penetrate a defense for the last shot of the game.  So many good things can happen when a guy gets in the lane with 6-8 seconds left.  Without Mayo in that situation I knew we would lose the game.

6.  Either this team has adequate talent and has underachieved or it's lacking in talent.  Which is it?  Those that wish to give our coach a pass on this season need to acknowledge that he both recruits and coaches these kids.

7.  Obviously winning three games in NYC will be an unlikely outcome yet still an outside possibility, but do we have a player on this team that can get this team out of what is sure to be a difficult mindset following two 2OT losses?  I'm not sure this team has that guy on it's roster this year.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery