[June 07, 2024, 09:44:59 PM]

2024-25 Roster by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[June 07, 2024, 08:14:24 PM]

Incoming freshmen by tower912
[June 07, 2024, 08:06:40 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by The Equalizer
[June 07, 2024, 05:10:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: St John's thoughts  (Read 12884 times)

mugrack

• Team Captain
Re: St John's thoughts
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 02:51:46 PM »
Should have had offense in after the time out with 8 seconds left.  Derrick should have been on the bench.  Buzz'bad.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
At the beginning of the year I was down on DW for being slow and lackadaisical in bringing the ball up court. About midway thru he began to hustle it up and that was good. The thing missing this year was the lack of a sense of urgency and ,sometimes, a reluctance to score.
BTW
Seems like every game the announcers mention MU'S "deficiency " at PG.  That's not the"jags" on this board that is the analysts.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »
For someone that supposedly knows a lot about Basketball, you are apparently incapable of breaking down film and diagnosing what went wrong.

If it doesn't fit a preordained notion then it didn't happen. Common here, Ners not the only one. But if he really watched the replay he can't be defended on this one.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2014, 03:04:04 PM »
If it doesn't fit a preordained notion then it didn't happen. Common here, Ners not the only one. But if he really watched the replay he can't be defended on this one.
Did you not notice his retraction (posted below)?  But while we are at it...you have this pre-ordained notion that things could have gotten a lot worse with Dawson running the Point...when Dawson has been given 1 game of 30 minutes (went really well - best win of season), and 1 game of 20 minutes.  Meanwhile, your guy who ensures things don't get worse...gets 30+ minutes for 29 games roughly...and is regressing...and gives us all of 2 points today in 48 minutes is our best option??  Talk about a pre-ordained notion?  At least my argument is based on 29 games of data showing the results aren't good.  And our season record proves as much.

After watching it again, I'm not sure that Burton did blow his assignment.  I think he may have actually recognized the zone and he was suppose to be down low along the baseline.  Gardner I think may have been a little slow in recognizing the D (I had thought they wanted Burton at the high post against a zone, but think it was suppose to be Gardner there).  Burton was in no man's land because Gardner was still trying to set a double screen (can't against the zone) thinking it was man, instead of popping out to the FT line with Burton down low.

Burton had no where to go, but I'm not sure it was a missed assignment on his part.  More experience and I think he pops up to the high post and communicates to Gardner to take the low block.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2014, 03:04:21 PM »

BTW
Seems like every game the announcers mention MU'S "deficiency " at PG.  That's not the"jags" on this board that is the analysts.

We do have a deficiency at point guard. NOBODY denies that. Some, though, don't think starting and playing 25 minutes a guy who's a bigger deficiency is the answer to the problem.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2014, 03:05:02 PM »
Should have had offense in after the time out with 8 seconds left.  Derrick should have been on the bench.  Buzz'bad.

With Todd fouled out, are you saying that Dawson, with 2 TO's in 90 seconds of play, having sat for an hour, should have been on the floor?    Buzz basically played 7 today.   With Todd out, if you want to take Derrick out, do you want (A) Otule, (B) a freshman who hasn't played for an hour, (C) Juan/STjr/JJJ, none of whom have taken their sweats off?      
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2014, 03:17:43 PM »
If anyone ever finds a way to rob Marquette of credit, it is you.  See Davidson game in NCAA opener last year. I'm not even sure you're aware that you do it, but you do

What did Chicos say that is false?

I'm the biggest MU fan I know, and a pretty darn positive-thinking one, and it was obvious that St. John's gagged to keep us in it. We still had to make plays, and was thrilled we did, but a crap inbounds pass AND a front-end brick within seconds of each other? If that isn't a choke, there is no such thing.

Now, I'm not talking about Chicos' patterns of comments. I'm talking about this particular comment.

We had a bazillion chances to win this game, some of which we were handed, some of which we earned, and yet there are still folks who want to blame the refs. Ugh.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 03:21:57 PM »

4.  Gardner was getting a deserving ovation in regulation as he left the court when everyone in the building figured the game was over.  It's obvious he looked dejected losing his last home game of his career.  Why did it take Buzz two minutes into overtime to get him back in the game?  Did he view his player's frustration as sulking?

5.  We have NOBODY on the team other than Todd Mayo that can successfully dribble drive and get a shot.  Well we have Burton and Johnson and I know they're freshmen and all but it really hurts your team when you cannot penetrate a defense for the last shot of the game.  So many good things can happen when a guy gets in the lane with 6-8 seconds left.  Without Mayo in that situation I knew we would lose the game.

4. In our last overtime game, it actually took Buzz longer to get DG in. Otule played until there was 2:55 left.

5. But Thomas and Derrick both played 20+ minutes more than Mayo. Someone needs to ask Buzz "WHY??" We all enjoy watching a PG dribble the ball for 20 seconds going nowhere... but c'mon, man.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 03:23:21 PM »
No, play the guy who hasn't made a jump shot all season

brandx

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2014, 03:24:15 PM »
With Todd fouled out, are you saying that Dawson, with 2 TO's in 90 seconds of play, having sat for an hour, should have been on the floor?    Buzz basically played 7 today.   With Todd out, if you want to take Derrick out, do you want (A) Otule, (B) a freshman who hasn't played for an hour, (C) Juan/STjr/JJJ, none of whom have taken their sweats off?      

Based on 31 games, absolutely yes. Derrick should never, ever, ever be on the floor for a last possession where you need a basket to win. EVER.

It's really not hard to see.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2014, 03:27:14 PM »

5. But Thomas and Derrick both played 20+ minutes more than Mayo. Someone needs to ask Buzz "WHY??" We all enjoy watching a PG dribble the ball for 20 seconds going nowhere... but c'mon, man.

Thanks in part to John Dawson, Todd had 2 quick fouls and had to sit much of the first half. As it is, he fouled out in his 27 minutes. Would you have preferred that to happen with 13 minutes left in regulation? LOL

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2014, 03:32:22 PM »
4. In our last overtime game, it actually took Buzz longer to get DG in. Otule played until there was 2:55 left.

Mayo had two fouls in 5 minutes in the first half.   That explains your minute differential.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
If  D-Wil is all we got to take the last shot--WE ARE HURTING!  BAD!

brandx

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2014, 03:39:13 PM »
Mayo had two fouls in 5 minutes in the first half.   That explains your minute differential.   

Sounds good - except it has been the same pretty much every single game. Derrick leads the team in minutes played, Jake is second.

thehammock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2014, 03:41:40 PM »
Team played hard...entertaining game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2014, 03:42:55 PM »
If Todd doesn't get into foul trouble, eventually Jake goes to the bench for a couple of minutes.   With Todd sitting, Buzz really had no other choice at the 2.    Dawson wasn't going to get minutes from Derrick today.   Todd played a ton of minutes during the second half and OT, even taking over at PG when Derrick cramped.   There really isn't room to complain about his minutes TODAY.  

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2014, 04:01:45 PM »
Team played hard...entertaining game.
Emotionally balanced people are so annoying at a time like this!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2014, 04:06:33 PM »
If Todd doesn't get into foul trouble, eventually Jake goes to the bench for a couple of minutes.   With Todd sitting, Buzz really had no other choice at the 2.    Dawson wasn't going to get minutes from Derrick today.   Todd played a ton of minutes during the second half and OT, even taking over at PG when Derrick cramped.   There really isn't room to complain about his minutes TODAY.  

This is correct, and truth be told, Jake played a pretty darn good game today, which I assume also explains why Burton didn't see much time in the second half...Jake, Mayo, and Jamil were all pretty good.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2014, 04:12:06 PM »
Agree with Navin.  Jake played hustle.  Lots of good rebounds.
Ludum habemus.

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2014, 04:15:35 PM »
If anyone ever finds a way to rob Marquette of credit, it is you.  See Davidson game in NCAA opener last year. I'm not even sure you're aware that you do it, but you do
Listen, the Crean love affair is extremely annoying, no one is denying that.  But Chicos is absolutely right about the Davidson game and the officiating today.  It's not taking away credit, it is pointing out the obvious to those who can look at things objectively. 

BlindboyPatSmith

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
ahhh come on youse guys....all this negativity....all we have to do is win the rest of our games this year and we will be NCAA champs....we can do it....come on get on board the Buzz Train !!!    (is there a sarcasm font on this board?)

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2014, 04:28:00 PM »
1. The key possession, like was said earlier, was the one before the last one.  We got the ball with plenty of time to get a good shot and GUARANTEE that we would get the ball last (the old 2 for 1).  Instead it was a whole lot of nothing.  That goes on the coaching staff.  You have to get a shot up at about :45 seconds, leaving plenty of time.

2. For what it's worth, Buzz was explaining to Burton with the play board as they were leaving the huddle.  It actually reminded me of the end of regulation at DePaul when Buzz was on the court telling Jamil where to go.  That play also was terrible.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2014, 04:34:40 PM »
1. The key possession, like was said earlier, was the one before the last one.  We got the ball with plenty of time to get a good shot and GUARANTEE that we would get the ball last (the old 2 for 1).  Instead it was a whole lot of nothing.  That goes on the coaching staff.  You have to get a shot up at about :45 seconds, leaving plenty of time.

2. For what it's worth, Buzz was explaining to Burton with the play board as they were leaving the huddle.  It actually reminded me of the end of regulation at DePaul when Buzz was on the court telling Jamil where to go.  That play also was terrible.

Very good point...couldn't believe we didn't go for the 2 for 1 at that point..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2014, 04:37:59 PM »
Very good point...couldn't believe we didn't go for the 2 for 1 at that point..
Someone who is a, "whiner" posed this question the other day about the preciousness of the opening tip and possessions.  If the tip is so important that Buzz has to start Otule and sit Gardner, why is it that he never goes for the 2 for 1, when the situation presents itself.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2014, 05:37:13 PM »
#5  Disagree.  They had two guys foul out before we had one guy foul out.

So this is to the point that the refs were really on our side after all?  Funny logic.

feedback