'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Junior and Sophomore classes  (Read 8553 times)

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
Junior and Sophomore classes
« on: March 02, 2014, 03:28:43 PM »
Two bad classes in a row is hard to overcome.Throw in Blue leaving early and Duane Wilson injury was devastating.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
Re: Junior and Sophomore classes
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »
That and our underperforming seniors and yeah...you get a year like this.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 03:36:15 PM »
I agree.  I also expect a slow start next year.  Then I hope the young talent takes over.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 03:37:49 PM »
I agree.  I also expect a slow start next year.  Then I hope the young talent takes over.

+1 Assuming all upperclassmen return and are in the rotation, that leaves 4-6 spots open for the younger guys to play. The beginning of the season will be rough, but I think we will age like a fine wine
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 03:38:15 PM »
Too much wasted time and energy on players who are no longer here.  (For whatever reason...not blaming anyone in particular.)

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 03:50:16 PM »
and next year looks tough as well - De Wilson back at PG, Juan Anderson back - limited bodies in the front court.  Lots of inexperienced sophomores, and freshman watching from the bench.  Maybe this years freshman get to develop.   

Looking forward to 2015-2016...

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 04:33:56 PM »

Looking forward to 2015-2016...

One at a time fellas. I think we'll be back in the tournament next year.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 04:44:29 PM »
One at a time fellas. I think we'll be back in the tournament next year.

Unless the newcomers are outstanding, not happening.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 04:54:22 PM »
I shudder to think what our inside game will be like next year w/o Davante. Expecting us to struggle again.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 05:12:33 PM »
I hope that we will be playing more entertaining ball next year. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 05:15:01 PM »
Buzz is going to be forced to loosen the reins a little with so little returning production from his upperclassmen.  It will be fascinating to watch what he does when forced out of his comfort zone.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 05:16:37 PM »
I shudder to think what our inside game will be like next year w/o Davante. Expecting us to struggle again.

I think Fischer and Steve Jr. (if healthy) will fill that role over the course of the season and Deonte seems to be able to battle inside unlike Jamil. I think Buzz might have to play small ball. I think the young guys like to speed the game up; but with players like Devante and Chris we had to slow the game down this year. I hope Buzz let's the guys shoot like we know they can.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 05:18:56 PM »
Does anyone have a list of all the transfers Marquette had since 2010?  I'm just curious what this team would have looked like had everyone stayed.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 05:19:54 PM »
Two seasons ago Villanova was not any good either. Young teams can grow into good teams.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 05:22:12 PM »
Does anyone have a list of all the transfers Marquette had since 2010?  I'm just curious what this team would have looked like had everyone stayed.

Chris Singleton, Jamail Jones, Reggie Smith, Vander Blue, Jamal Fergason, Garrett Swanson.  

Reggie and Blue would be big this year but not sure Jamail or Jamal wouldve been big.  Chris and Garrett wouldn't have been factors
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 05:24:17 PM by PunchingPiper »
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »
Chris Singleton, Jamail Jones, Reggie Smith, Vander Blue, Jamal Fergason, Garrett Swanson.  

Vander didn't transfer.   Forgetting McKay.  And TJ Taylor.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 05:25:09 PM »
Vander didn't transfer.   Forgetting McKay.  And TJ Taylor.

Vander transfered to the professional ranks.  True my bad about those two I generally don't memorize rosters till the actual season. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 05:25:46 PM »

Thanks, Piper.  I hate thinking about what if's, but, after this season, it's kind of hard not to.  

I also wonder what Duane's minutes this year would have been like if he hadn't been injured.  I'm guessing Derrick still would have gotten a majority of the minutes.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »
Thanks, Piper.  I hate thinking about what if's, but, after this season, it's kind of hard not to.  

I also wonder what Duane's minutes this year would have been like if he hadn't been injured.  I'm guessing Derrick still would have gotten a majority of the minutes.

My guess would be 12min a game. With Dawson getting like 3.  If he was as good as he was rumored to be. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 05:28:20 PM »
No chemistry. Thank god, Gardner, Otule, Thomas and Jamil will be gone. No team leadership among them.
On that thought so long Mayo and Juan. Don't know about JJJ but Memphis area recruits are always good players. I think with with Fischer, Burton, Dawson, D. Wilson, Taylor and Duane and the recruits we have coming in. Hopefully a good foundation. We could over recruit maybe 1 or 2 more like Louisville. Sick of the same ole, same ole, Moody.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 05:37:09 PM »
Two seasons ago Villanova was not any good either. Young teams can grow into good teams.
Ding, ding, ding,  hit the nail on the head.  I wonder if two years ago idiots in Philly were nit picking Jay Wrights every move.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 05:38:58 PM »
Two years ago, Villanova fans were calling for Jay's head.   

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 05:39:38 PM »
No chemistry. Thank god, Gardner, Otule, Thomas and Jamil will be gone. No team leadership among them.
On that thought so long Mayo and Juan. Don't know about JJJ but Memphis area recruits are always good players. I think with with Fischer, Burton, Dawson, D. Wilson, Taylor and Duane and the recruits we have coming in. Hopefully a good foundation. We could over recruit maybe 1 or 2 more like Louisville. Sick of the same ole, same ole, Moody.

I hate to see Gardner go. Not sure who makes up his points. I hope Todd comes back.  Not sure about the foundation you speak of, you must be hoping the newcomers are REALLY good because most of what little offense we had this year is leaving.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 05:46:43 PM »
I hate to see Gardner go. Not sure who makes up his points. I hope Todd comes back.  Not sure about the foundation you speak of, you must be hoping the newcomers are REALLY good because most of what little offense we had this year is leaving.
That's the nature of college basketball. Guys leave, new guys step up. Nothing new here.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 05:51:15 PM »

"the movement"  ;)