collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Clay/Liston 50 Years Ago Today  (Read 4142 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Clay/Liston 50 Years Ago Today
« on: February 25, 2014, 11:25:55 PM »
50-years ago yesterday (Feb 25, 1964) a young Cassius Clay shocked the sporting world by defeating Boxing Heavyweight Champion Sonny Liston.  Soon after Clay, who lived on the Southside of Chicago, changed his name to Muhammad Ali and thus launched one of the greatest sports careers in human history.  Ali celebrated this event by doing what we all do in 2014 ... he sent out a tweet:

‏@MuhammadAli  I shook up the world against Liston, now 50 years later I'm taking it to Twitter  

He also included this iconic picture (aren't all pictures of Ali iconic?)

Will sports ever see another personality like Ali?  If I had to guess, the closet we have to him today is Usain Bolt.  But Bolt is no Ali.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:01:51 PM by Heisenberg »

brandx

Re: Clay/Liston 50 Years Ago Today
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 11:39:53 PM »
A man of honor. Unlike most of us, he was willing to put his money where his mouth was.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 11:22:03 AM »
50-years ago yesterday (Feb 25, 1964) a young Cassius Clay shocked the sporting world by defeating Boxing Heavyweight Champion Sonny Liston.  Soon after Clay, who lived on the Southside of Chicago, changed his name to Muhammad Ali and thus launched one of the greatest sports careers in human history.  Ali celebrated this event by doing what we all do in 2014 ... he sent out a tweet:

‏@MuhammadAli  I shook up the world against Liston, now 50 years later I'm taking it to Twitter 

Will sports ever see another personality like Ali?  If I had to guess, the closet we have to him today is Usain Bolt.  But Bolt is no Ali.

I'm not letting this one go! The greatest what careers?! Mr "I think Boxing is an exhibition!" This is a Freudian slip and you just flushed your point down the drain!
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 11:27:23 AM »
This picture is from the second fight.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 11:53:18 AM »
A man of honor. Unlike most of us, he was willing to put his money where his mouth was.

amateur boxing is different from pro boxing.  I'm not going to continue this anymore so go ahead and respond if you want, I will not reply.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »
This picture is from the second fight.

Changed it above ... better?

brandx

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 12:38:01 PM »
amateur boxing is different from pro boxing.  I'm not going to continue this anymore so go ahead and respond if you want, I will not reply.

What does that mean? I never even mentioned amateurs or pros. I agreed with your original post so I am clueless to what this is.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 12:45:10 PM »
Changed it above ... better?

Oh I wasn't trying to correct you.  Sorry if it came off that way.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 12:49:16 PM »
50-years ago yesterday (Feb 25, 1964) a young Cassius Clay shocked the sporting world by defeating Boxing Heavyweight Champion Sonny Liston.  Soon after Clay, who lived on the Southside of Chicago, changed his name to Muhammad Ali and thus launched one of the greatest sports careers in human history.  Ali celebrated this event by doing what we all do in 2014 ... he sent out a tweet:

‏@MuhammadAli  I shook up the world against Liston, now 50 years later I'm taking it to Twitter 

Will sports ever see another personality like Ali?  If I had to guess, the closet we have to him today is Usain Bolt.  But Bolt is no Ali.

report today that the fight was fixed based on FBI wiretaps on the Mob
http://www.cbssports.com/general/eye-on-sports/24456858/the-fix-was-in-fbi-suspected-ali-liston-bout-in-64-was-rigged

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 12:53:09 PM »
amateur boxing is different from pro boxing.  I'm not going to continue this anymore so go ahead and respond if you want, I will not reply.

your first argument was that professional boxing was an exhibition like pro wrestling. you insulted my sport one of the only two things I care about, a sport you clearly know nothing about. I will continue this for as long as I live till I at least get a retraction that it's anything like pro wrestling.  
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 01:00:48 PM by PunchingPiper »
Maigh Eo for Sam

brandx

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 01:49:35 PM »
your first argument was that professional boxing was an exhibition like pro wrestling. you insulted my sport one of the only two things I care about, a sport you clearly know nothing about. I will continue this for as long as I live till I at least get a retraction that it's anything like pro wrestling.  

I have no clue what you are talking about. My post was "A man of honor. Unlike most of us, he was willing to put his money where his mouth was."

So apparently Heisenberg wants to attack me for something Piper said? OK
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 01:58:52 PM by brandx »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »

He should retract his opinion?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 02:02:28 PM »

He should retract his opinion?

It's not an opinion it's an insult.  He's comparing a legitemate athletic competition that tests your body to it's limits to a theater production for rednecks and preteen boys. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 02:31:52 PM »
It's not an opinion it's an insult.

His opinion may insult you, but it's still an opinion. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 03:13:44 PM »

Ok an opinion can have some basis on it.  My opinion is ----- for politics my opinion is that there is/isn't a god etc.  There is no basis for the comparison that Boxing is anything like professional wrestling and he has now flipped on the issue.  I really don't care if he thinks it's a sport, if he wants to call it a competition or something then whatever but Wrestling is theater and until he's stepped foot into the ring to find out boxing's not, studies to become a boxing ref or judge, which would qualify him to have that asinine opinion, or admits it is nothing like pro wrestling I will not let it go.  
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:17:17 PM by PunchingPiper »
Maigh Eo for Sam

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 03:43:45 PM »
It's not an opinion it's an insult.  He's comparing a legitemate athletic competition that tests your body to it's limits to a theater production for rednecks and preteen boys. 
Hey, I think your opinion just insulted rednecks and hurt the feelings of preteen boys everywhere.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 04:13:43 PM »
Hey, I think your opinion just insulted rednecks and hurt the feelings of preteen boys everywhere.

Look up the marketing demographics for professional wrestling... the study I saw was old but rednecks and preteen boys about sums it up. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 04:26:04 PM »

Pork Eating Crusader?

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 04:27:17 PM »
Look up the marketing demographics for professional wrestling... the study I saw was old but rednecks and preteen boys about sums it up.  

for sh!ts and grins I just googled "marketing demographics for professional wrestling". From the top return:

The NBC Television Network announced the results of a national survey last February in which it listed the "top viewer sports" in America as:
 1.National Football League
2.Professional Wrestling
3.Major League Baseball
4.National Basketball Association

Professional wrestling is true family entertainment with demographics ranging from ages 3 to 93, 40% female, and very heavy in the 21 to 49-year old male market as well. In addition, 35 million people watch professional wrestling on TV every week. Millions more flock to sold out arenas to see it in person
http://www.bplans.com/wrestling_entertainment_business_plan/executive_summary_fc.php

no mention of rednecks at all

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 06:17:59 PM »
for sh!ts and grins I just googled "marketing demographics for professional wrestling". From the top return:
http://www.bplans.com/wrestling_entertainment_business_plan/executive_summary_fc.php

no mention of rednecks at all

Huh interesting stuff.  I still maintain my point that it's fake theater and not comparable to boxing in the slightest. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 07:50:59 PM »

I think the problem may be that in the other thread he said that boxing wasn't a sport and in this one said that Clay/Ali had one of the "greatest sports careers."  You can't have it both ways, either boxing is a sport, or Ali's wasn't a "sports career." 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 08:54:39 AM »
I think the problem may be that in the other thread he said that boxing wasn't a sport and in this one said that Clay/Ali had one of the "greatest sports careers."  You can't have it both ways, either boxing is a sport, or Ali's wasn't a "sports career." 

Ok, I'm back on this.  In the other thread I said that sports that are decided by a judge are arbitrary and more an exhibition than a sport.  I never said those that participate in these sports are not athletes.

Among the examples i cited were figure skating, free style skiing, gymnastics and boxing.  Of all these examples boxing is a tough one because it has both an objective way to win (knockout) and a subjective way to win (judge decision).  Knockout is more a professional boxing thing than an amateur boxing thing.

Now, I'm done with this subject, it was covered in the other thread.  Piper disagrees with me.  He is not the first or the last that will hold an opinion opposite me.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 09:28:17 AM »
I think the problem may be that in the other thread he said that boxing wasn't a sport and in this one said that Clay/Ali had one of the "greatest sports careers."  You can't have it both ways, either boxing is a sport, or Ali's wasn't a "sports career."  

That's half the battle the other half was the comparison to pro wrestling that set me from disagreement to being flat out pissed.  Not even UFC but pro wrestling! Unless he believes pro wrestling is real which is pretty sad quite frankly. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:42:25 AM by PunchingPiper »
Maigh Eo for Sam

brandx

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 01:21:57 PM »
That's half the battle the other half was the comparison to pro wrestling that set me from disagreement to being flat out pissed.  Not even UFC but pro wrestling! Unless he believes pro wrestling is real which is pretty sad quite frankly. 

Professional wrestling is show business. Boxing is a sport.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 01:50:59 PM »
Professional wrestling is show business. Boxing is a sport.

I agree and I think anyone with half a brain knows that.  Which is why I'm all worked up that Heisenberg said boxing is in the same category as pro wrestling.  (in the other thread)
Maigh Eo for Sam