collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Viper
[Today at 04:49:52 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Clay/Liston 50 Years Ago Today  (Read 4143 times)

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
Re: Clay/Liston 50 Years Ago Today
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 10:20:27 PM »
Aside from the fact that they both take place in a ring, they are definitely worlds apart.

You could make the argument however that the sports, and I do use that term loosely in regards to pro wrestling, but they are both run by shysters.

Not much difference between the McMahons who run pro wrestling and the hucksters that control boxing)(Don King, Bob Arum, Jose Sulaiman, etc). There is a perception that boxing reeks of corruption and unethical dealings, I am assuming that is why he tried to make the analogy.

No doubt that both sports use and abuse their respective athletes and boxers definitely have it far worse.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 10:33:26 PM »
Just checked the thread that originated this debate, clearly not the point he was trying to make. ;D

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 03:56:45 AM »
One of the best short stories ever written is, "A Piece of Steak" by Jack London. Anyone who reads that piece would never think of boxing as anything but sport. A finely wrought tale of life, pathos, and despair.

Death on call

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
Just checked the thread that originated this debate, clearly not the point he was trying to make. ;D

ya that definitely wasn't his point. 

One of the best short stories ever written is, "A Piece of Steak" by Jack London. Anyone who reads that piece would never think of boxing as anything but sport. A finely wrought tale of life, pathos, and despair.

I'll have to read it.  It sounds good. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 07:26:27 PM »
I'll have to read it.  It sounds good. 

Another excellent piece on boxing is Hemingway's Fifty Grand. Like A Piece of Steak it deals with an aging fighter coming to terms with his own mortality. Hemingway throws in a moral challenge that compels the reader to think through his own ethical paradigm. A very interesting and thought provoking read.

Death on call

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 10:13:21 AM »
Another excellent piece on boxing is Hemingway's Fifty Grand. Like A Piece of Steak it deals with an aging fighter coming to terms with his own mortality. Hemingway throws in a moral challenge that compels the reader to think through his own ethical paradigm. A very interesting and thought provoking read.

I've actually heard of that one.  I may have read it in high school because at my HS we had a huge Hemingway emphasis (an alum). 
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback