collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 01:40:18 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Harold Ramis Dead at 69  (Read 14231 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Harold Ramis Dead at 69
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 08:13:57 AM »
Wait...foul...that's an Animal House quote!!

Not sure why foul, since you used multiple Ramis movies.  Can't say for certain if he wrote that line, though.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:16:47 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 08:32:46 AM »
A marvelous profile on Ramis from several years ago

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/04/19/040419fa_fact3?currentPage=all

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 08:39:35 AM »
One of my favorite roles of his was in "Knocked Up".  He is onscreen for less than two minutes, but he is perfect.  Plus I can totally imagine him siring Seth Rogen.

Skip to the :45 mark:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VepWTt1DzTA?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowscriptaccess&quot; value=&quot;always&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;embed src=&quot;//www.youtube.com/v/VepWTt1DzTA?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; width=&quot;560&quot; height=&quot;315&quot; allowscriptaccess=&quot;always&quot; allowfullscreen=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/VepWTt1DzTA?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowscriptaccess&quot; value=&quot;always&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;embed src=&quot;//www.youtube.com/v/VepWTt1DzTA?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; width=&quot;560&quot; height=&quot;315&quot; allowscriptaccess=&quot;always&quot; allowfullscreen=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;</a>
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 08:52:34 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 11:20:08 AM »
A marvelous profile on Ramis from several years ago

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/04/19/040419fa_fact3?currentPage=all

I remember reading that profile.  Too bad that he and Bill Murray had such a falling out.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 11:26:22 AM »
1. Vacation
2. Caddyshack
3. Ghostbusters
4. Groundhog Day
5. Stripes
6. Animal House

For me:

1.  Caddyshack (only role in which I can stand Chevy Chase)
2.  Groundhog Day (unlike many of these movies, which now work for me mostly on a nostalgia level, GD stands the test of time [over and over again])
3.  First half of Stripes
4.  Animal House
5.  Ghostbusters
6.  Second half of Stripes
7.  Vacation (way too much of CC)

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 12:29:18 PM »
For me:

2.  Groundhog Day (unlike many of these movies, which now work for me mostly on a nostalgia level, GD stands the test of time [over and over again])
4.  Animal House
5.  Ghostbusters
For me

1.  Animal House
2.  Vacation (Strange movie - Goes along quietly and every 10 minutes or so something hilarious happens)
3.  Caddyshack (Ted Knight in the most unappreciated funny performance ever)
4.  Stripes
5.  Ghostbusters
6.  Groundhog Day (and I really like this movie)

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 01:14:41 PM »
Having drinks with the under 30 crowd in our office.  A few of us oldsters were asking about favorite movies.  To a person, none of them had seen the Harold Ramis classics.  We were appalled to say the least.

Then we start rattling off lines from the movies.  They knew a lot of the lines, but not where they were from.

Sad.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 02:51:15 PM »
Not sure why foul, since you used multiple Ramis movies.  Can't say for certain if he wrote that line, though.

Fair point...I was going off lines he spoke, not necessarily wrote.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 03:45:52 PM »
Having drinks with the under 30 crowd in our office.  A few of us oldsters were asking about favorite movies.  To a person, none of them had seen the Harold Ramis classics.  We were appalled to say the least.

Then we start rattling off lines from the movies.  They knew a lot of the lines, but not where they were from.

Sad.

I have a sister in her mid 30's.  Apparently the big quotable movie of her generation is "Dumb and Dumber". Sad.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 04:44:05 PM »

Sad.

I just held my staff meeting and fired off a few movie items.  For example, legal was saying they needed to get an old contract (15 years +) out of the record archives and I quipped it's in a warehouse next to the Lost Ark, sealed in a crate.   One person got the reference....most of the others are under 35.  Harold Ramis....80% of my staff had no idea who he was. Millenials....

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 07:11:07 AM »
I just held my staff meeting and fired off a few movie items.  For example, legal was saying they needed to get an old contract (15 years +) out of the record archives and I quipped it's in a warehouse next to the Lost Ark, sealed in a crate.   One person got the reference....most of the others are under 35.  Harold Ramis....80% of my staff had no idea who he was. Millenials....

Even Steven Spielberg himself paid tribute to the the Lost Ark, sealed in a crate in the 4th Indiana Jones movie.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 07:16:05 AM »
For me:

4.  Animal House
5.  Ghostbusters

To each his own for sure...

"I think you're all f*cked in the head. We're ten hours from the f*cking fun park and you want to bail out. Well I'll tell you something. This is no longer a vacation. It's a quest. It's a quest for fun. You're gonna have fun, and I'm gonna have fun... We're all gonna have so much f*cking fun we're gonna need plastic surgery to remove our goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling 'Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah' out of your a$$holes! I must be crazy! I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose. Praise Marty Moose! Holy Sh!t!

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 07:54:40 AM »

That's just sad. Almost all of Ramis' classics came out before I was born or in my infancy yet any time I hear training I can't help but think "Bbbblarmy training, sir".  Genius lost.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2014, 09:20:50 AM »
I have a sister in her mid 30's.  Apparently the big quotable movie of her generation is "Dumb and Dumber". Sad.

Interesting.  I'm early 30s and Dumb and Dumber and the South Park movies were the two drunk movies we watched all the time in college.  However, Caddyshack is a MAJOR movie for my age group, more so than any other Ramis movie.  This may also be because everyone I know plays golf but who knows.

I would rank Ramis movies in this order

1.  Groundhog Day
2.  Stripes
3.  Caddyshack
4.  Ghostbusters
5.  Animal House
6.  Ghostbusters II
7.  Vacation is ok but I didn't see it until I was like 26 so I think it lost some nostalgia via....and CC had gone insane by then
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2014, 09:30:32 AM »
For me:

4.  Animal House
5.  Ghostbusters

100% agree on Chevy Chase. He's the weak link from a great SNL class.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2014, 09:40:32 AM »
For those comedy fans, Tim Wilson died of a heart attack today.  He was a regular on the Bob and Tom Show.  I'm sure you will recognize his voice.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2014, 09:54:42 AM »

It could be worse... she could be in her late 20s/early 30s where the big quotable movie of the generation is "American Pie."

Although when it comes to one-liners for every occasion, you'd be hard pressed to find a movie that gives you a bigger bang for your buck than Dumb and Dumber:

"Excuse me. Could you tell me how to get to the medical school? I'm supposed to be giving a lecture in 20 minutes, and my driver's a bit lost."
"Austria, huh?  Well.... g'day mate.  Let's put another shrimp on the barbie."
"Why you going to the airport? Flying somewhere?"
"It's okay... I'm a limo driver."
"Man, you are one pathetic loser. No offense."
"I don't know, Lloyd... the French are assh0les."
"No... it's a cardigan but thanks for noticing."
"You sold my dead bird to a blind kid?  Lloyd... Petey didn't even have a head."
"Kick his ass, Sea Bass!"
"They're driving an '84 Sheepdog."
"That John Denver is full of sh|t."
"Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself."
"Samsonite... I was way off."
"Nah.... We've landed on the moon!!!"
"So you're telling me there's a chance."
"That's as good as money, sir. Those are IOU's."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2014, 10:05:36 AM »
100% agree on Chevy Chase. He's the weak link from a great SNL class.

Weak link? You could not be more wrong. Chevy Chase was far and away the biggest star on the show. He was so big that he left after one season. I think most people would agree that Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi and Gilda Radner were also fantastic, but name the other three "not ready for prime time players". Most wrongfully assume Bill Murray was an original cast member. He wasn't.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2014, 10:06:30 AM »
It could be worse... she could be in her late 20s/early 30s where the big quotable movie of the generation is "American Pie."

Although when it comes to one-liners for every occasion, you'd be hard pressed to find a movie that gives you a bigger bang for your buck than Dumb and Dumber:

"Excuse me. Could you tell me how to get to the medical school? I'm supposed to be giving a lecture in 20 minutes, and my driver's a bit lost."
"Austria, huh?  Well.... g'day mate.  Let's put another shrimp on the barbie."
"Why you going to the airport? Flying somewhere?"
"It's okay... I'm a limo driver."
"Man, you are one pathetic loser. No offense."
"I don't know, Lloyd... the French are assh0les."
"No... it's a cardigan but thanks for noticing."
"You sold my dead bird to a blind kid?  Lloyd... Petey didn't even have a head."
"Kick his ass, Sea Bass!"
"They're driving an '84 Sheepdog."
"That John Denver is full of sh|t."
"Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself."
"Samsonite... I was way off."
"Nah.... We've landed on the moon!!!"
"So you're telling me there's a chance."
"That's as good as money, sir. Those are IOU's."

It was called "Dumb and Dumber" for a reason.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2014, 10:28:13 AM »
American Pie is hardly quotable.

Signed,

Late 20s Male.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2014, 10:28:47 AM »

Trying to pick one movie that is the "big" quotable movie is ridiculous. There have been a ton of movies released over the last 30+ that fit the bill. In addition to the films that have already been mentioned, I'd add The Big Lebowski, Old School, and Anchorman into the mix.

Edited post PTM's comment about American Pie. Agreed, American Pie was great at capturing the late 90s on film. Quotable, it is not.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:32:01 AM by Blue Horseshoe »

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2014, 10:41:41 AM »
Weak link? You could not be more wrong. Chevy Chase was far and away the biggest star on the show. He was so big that he left after one season. I think most people would agree that Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi and Gilda Radner were also fantastic, but name the other three "not ready for prime time players". Most wrongfully assume Bill Murray was an original cast member. He wasn't.
Garrett Morris
Jane the Ignorant Slut
??

Added: Larraine Newman, I googled for that name.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:44:14 AM by mu-rara »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 10:45:37 AM »
Garrett Morris
Jane the Ignorant Slut
??
Jane Curtin
Laraine Newman (sp?)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 10:46:17 AM »
It was called "Dumb and Dumber" for a reason.

You're married???  What was all that one in a million talk?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »
American Pie is hardly quotable.

Signed,

Late 20s Male.

Co-signed early 30s male

Good movie though

feedback