collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by JTJ3
[Today at 04:54:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Harold Ramis Dead at 69  (Read 14233 times)

Archies Bat

• All American
Re: Harold Ramis Dead at 69
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »
Precisely.

The best sportscaster from back in the day was Keith Jackson. There was something reassuring and comforting in that rich, bourbon-infused baritone.

The worst was Curt Gowdy who, unfortunately, called the Marquette-UNC Title Tilt in '77.

And when giving a promo to lead into the next show about Mohammed Ali after the game, he could not even read the name correctly, he called him "All"

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2014, 03:50:47 PM »
Precisely.

The best sportscaster from back in the day was Keith Jackson. There was something reassuring and comforting in that rich, bourbon-infused baritone.

Keith Jackson is awesome. Pat Summerall was also great. Stay tuned for Murder....She Wrote
http://deadspin.com/remembering-pat-summeralls-wonderful-murder-she-wrote-1450992513

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2014, 04:04:52 PM »
I remember Schenkel well....Wide World of Sports, bowling, etc.   

Either Al Michaels or Bob Costas told a Wide World of Sports story during the Olympics.  They talked about the skier taking the awful crash into the fence that they showed in the intro.  Someone caught up to the skier many many years later for an interview and he was a farmer in like Croatia and he had no idea he was famous in America for his crash and that they showed it on TV every week.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2014, 07:21:11 PM »
Precisely.

The worst was Curt Gowdy who, unfortunately, called the Marquette-UNC Title Tilt in '77.
Come on.  Curt Gowdy doing the saturday afternoon game of the week with Tony Kubek was fabulous. There are far worse.

It's Stripes for me....in a clear runaway.  My homage to Harold Ramis.....

I'm going to call you by your first names, because I'd have a pretty tough time pronouncing some of your last names.

Can I take your last beer?  We'll split it!

HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2014, 07:23:30 PM »
Precisely.

Keith Jackson spoke at NACMA back in 1998 or 1999 in Reno.  One of the most entertaining speeches I had ever heard.  He was starting to slow down just a touch, said he wouldn't do many more games to be with his wife.  Ultimately he did a few, but cut back on his travel.  He was a master at his craft.

He was in an interview last year, and he still sounds good.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tNeOEHGpYyc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tNeOEHGpYyc</a>
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:26:31 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2014, 11:40:07 AM »
The Second City put together a short piece on Ramis. Looks like some of the footage is from the 50th Anniversary at SC from 2009. There are some other videos on the SecondCityNetwork youtube channel. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqaX5LVsxvc&feature=share&list=UUzkcuUgsMln4y_aSxhE0H-g

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2014, 11:46:27 AM »
Zoolander is another very quotable movie from the early 2000s

This and Wet Hot American Summer. Unreal writing and it gave a ton of people their big break.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2014, 12:46:59 PM »
This and Wet Hot American Summer. Unreal writing and it gave a ton of people their big break.

Wet Hot American Summer was really good. I do disagree that most of the cast had already gotten their breaks from other projects. The State was really the big break that got the film legs. David Wain directed it and cast members of The State and other already established actors such as Janeane Garofalo, David Hyde Pierce, Paul Rudd, Molly Shannon, and Chris Meloni.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2014, 12:59:04 PM »
The Second City put together a short piece on Ramis. Looks like some of the footage is from the 50th Anniversary at SC from 2009. There are some other videos on the SecondCityNetwork youtube channel. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqaX5LVsxvc&feature=share&list=UUzkcuUgsMln4y_aSxhE0H-g

"You can never get enough of what you don't really need"

Pretty powerful

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2014, 02:44:58 PM »
Wet Hot American Summer was really good. I do disagree that most of the cast had already gotten their breaks from other projects. The State was really the big break that got the film legs. David Wain directed it and cast members of The State and other already established actors such as Janeane Garofalo, David Hyde Pierce, Paul Rudd, Molly Shannon, and Chris Meloni.

True, but it was Paul Rudd's comedic break (he had played romantic drama leads prior and now pretty much all he does is comedies), as well as Bradley Cooper & Elizabeth Banks' first "big" roles. Also it was post UCB but pre-SNL Amy Poehler, and Jon Benjamin as the Can of Vegetables' voice pre-Archer & Bob's Burgers. So while it definitely had some already-big names, a few went on to big(ger) things from that movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243655/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Pretty stunning cast top to bottom in retrospect with a mix of established names and newcomers, though like I said the writing is what made it (Showalter & Wain from the State).

I clearly need more to do at work today.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2014, 03:10:36 PM »

I clearly need more to do at work today.

Got those TPS reports done yet?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2014, 04:20:32 PM »
"You can never get enough of what you don't really need"

Pretty powerful

American Materialism in one sentence.

Death on call