collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Why I love the Olympics  (Read 23376 times)

brandx

Re: Why I love the Olympics
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 12:33:41 PM »
Let's face it - jingoism IS what the Olympics is all about.

I was glad to see Noelle Pikus-Pace medal. Quite a comeback from a gruesome accident. I love how her family is her central incentive. She is a poster child for the LDS Church. Theology aside they stress some important core values and she certainly embodies them in her daily life.

But she didn't win a gold!!!

Her reaction was the perfect example of the difference between what athletes feel and NBCs coverage. Stark contrast.

Oh, and by the way, the '80's are done and gone. I think Chicos & Keefe need to lose the chains, button their shirts up, and un-poof their hair :o

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 12:36:15 PM »
But she didn't win a gold!!!

Her reaction was the perfect example of the difference between what athletes feel and NBCs coverage. Stark contrast.

Oh, and by the way, the '80's are done and gone. I think Chicos & Keefe need to lose the chains, button their shirts up, and un-poof their hair :o

Hair?

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 12:45:07 PM »
Hair?

Yeah, I can't imagine your hair looked anything like mine did in the 80's.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 12:56:02 PM »
Good to see the Ducks Cam Fowler put one in the back of the net today, and the Kings Quick hold steady in the pipes.

So Cal hockey baby

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 01:01:20 PM »

Herb Brooks was the '80 coach.  Johnson coached in '76 though.  I believe Johnson is the only coach to win both an NCAA title and a Stanley Cup as coach. 

Is Brooks the only one to win a NCAA Title and an Olympic Gold?  Pretty sure he is as Jack Riley was the coach in 1960 and I don't believe he won a NCAA title.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 01:02:03 PM »
Yeah, I can't imagine your hair looked anything like mine did in the 80's.

When I went TACP I was rushing a frat and one of the terms is we shave our heads. It is amazing how going Kojak simplifies your morning toilette. And out in the field, where we hid in rocks and forests, it kept those pesky little biters from nesting on your 12 o'clock high.

Still flying your freak flag, x?

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 01:53:05 PM »
When I went TACP I was rushing a frat and one of the terms is we shave our heads. It is amazing how going Kojak simplifies your morning toilette. And out in the field, where we hid in rocks and forests, it kept those pesky little biters from nesting on your 12 o'clock high.

Still flying your freak flag, x?

Nope those days are gone.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 02:16:47 PM »
Nope those days are gone.

Not in Seattle...Freak Flags are still pretty ubiquitous around here

Death on call

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
I noticed this too. Every US athlete is apparently the best in the world, but very few have been medaling. Worse yet is when the announcers make up a bunch of excuses concerning snow conditions or some crap for the reason they finished 8th.

This.
Today, during the skeleton competition, which was aired Live on NBCSN, there was some american that was supposed to challenge for a medal. It was his final run and he bolted out of the start. During the run up, he couldn't keep his sled straight and almost fell off. He finished in 15th place. The announcers proceeded to blame the horrible start on the carved lines that the skeleton sled slides on for the first couple meters or so. They said that the grooves were not deep enough. Last I checked, 20+ other skeleton riders went down those same exact groove lines and no one else had a problem with them. So who is to blame here?

Same with the speed skating suits. The suits are not the problem. America is not a speed skating pwoerhouse. They have relied on the same people for the last three olympics. They got old and aren't able to keep up with the youngsters. I'm sick of NBC's Shi*.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 08:14:55 PM »
I love the Olympics.  Doesn't matter what is on.  Its like the Wide World of Sports everyday for three weeks.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 08:24:08 PM »

Same with the speed skating suits. The suits are not the problem. America is not a speed skating pwoerhouse. They have relied on the same people for the last three olympics. They got old and aren't able to keep up with the youngsters. I'm sick of NBC's Shi*.

It's not the suits. It's the pretentiousness of two or three people at USASS who decided that SLC is a much more cultural place than MKE for the US team to train, despite the fact that the the ice at the Pettit is 100x more similar to Sochi than SLC.  The US team medals 45% of the time at altitude races and 20% at sea level races... you don't have to be a stats major to see something wrong there.

But NBC won't ask those questions. God forbid the controversy they dig up has anything to do with the IOC, USOC or any governing body.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2014, 11:55:47 AM »
The Olympics (in this day and age) does almost nothing for me. Haven't watched a second, but I will try to catch some hockey.

Glad to see Minnesota reppin
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brandx

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2014, 12:10:50 PM »
The Olympics (in this day and age) does almost nothing for me. Haven't watched a second, but I will try to catch some hockey.

Glad to see Minnesota reppin

Didn't realize you owned one of them new TV thingies.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2014, 12:29:39 PM »
I love the Olympics.  Doesn't matter what is on.  Its like the Wide World of Sports everyday for three weeks.

The Agony of Defeat. Classic.

I saw an update on that guy. He's a farmer in Serbia. He had no idea every boy in America grew up seeing his fall week after week. He was stunned that he had such notoriety.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2014, 01:56:42 PM »

This.  I miss that show.  That and Superstars.   ;D
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2014, 02:39:35 PM »
This.  I miss that show.  That and Superstars.   ;D

You mean Robert Conrad Behaving Like a Dick Superstars or The Untethered Starlets Running Around in Hot Pants Superstars?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:43:06 PM by keefe »

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2014, 02:43:14 PM »
You mean Robert Conrad Behaving Like a Dick Superstars or The Untethered Starlets Running Around in Hot Pants Superstars?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqWU9huMMco" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqWU9huMMco</a>

Keefe, I believe you are confusing "Superstars" with "Battle of the Network Stars". 
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2014, 03:50:08 PM »
Keefe, I believe you are confusing "Superstars" with "Battle of the Network Stars".  

Was Superstars a singing show sponsored by K-Tel?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 03:52:00 PM by keefe »

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2014, 03:58:32 PM »
This.  I miss that show.  That and Superstars.   ;D

We tried to bring it back a number of years ago.  Went nowhere.  Athletes get paid way too much now, they don't want to risk injury, etc.  It was a fun idea, then the agents got involved and it went over like a huge wet fart in church at that point.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2014, 03:59:42 PM »

brandx

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »
Was Superstars a singing show sponsored by K-Tel?

I had a feeling you had those 8-tracks in your collection.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2014, 08:56:21 PM »
I had a feeling you had those 8-tracks in your collection.

8 track in the '68 GTO. Home is an AKAI reel-to-reel. I was thinking about upgrading to this new cassette tape technology.

Death on call

feedback