[June 10, 2024, 07:34:38 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 10, 2024, 03:28:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Why I love the Olympics  (Read 23400 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Why I love the Olympics
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:29:41 AM »
In 5 hours the USA will be playing Russia in mens ice hockey. Now a lot of you will not be up and watching the game and many others may not even care but my dad and I will be up watching Patrick Kane and the rest of the US squad kick some Russian ass. Its just moments like these where I have no problem waking up at 6:15 on a Saturday to watch a hockey game with my dad and I love that we can share moments like that together. So with that little sentimental post ill leave you with go USA, beat the Russians.

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Why I love the Olympics
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 03:33:17 AM »
Effin commies.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 04:21:22 AM »

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 04:49:10 AM »
Better dead than red

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 05:00:21 AM »
Ich bin ein Berliner!

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 09:13:54 AM »
Ich bin ein Berliner!

I am a jelly doughnut

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 09:30:30 AM »
Ich bin ein Bismarck!

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 09:47:28 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 09:50:12 AM »
I'm glad the USA won, but it just didn't have the same emotional impact that the Miracle on Ice did.    To me, it looked like a couple of good NHL teams in a playoff game.   No David versus Goliath subtext.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 09:54:44 AM »
I'm glad the USA won, but it just didn't have the same emotional impact that the Miracle on Ice did.    To me, it looked like a couple of good NHL teams in a playoff game.   No David versus Goliath subtext.   

Yea, we lost a lot when the Berlin Wall came down...

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 09:58:54 AM »

I mean it wasnt supposed to be. I wasnt even alive then but everytime I watch that 1980s clip I still get chills. However, if the US beats Canada in OT in the gold medal match you better believe ill be hyped.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 10:05:12 AM »

That will never, ever be replicated.  Everyone knows the complete underdog story, but I don't think people fully appreciate how much the late 1970s sucked in the US.  Vietnam War....craphole of an economy (much worse than what we just went through)...  In many ways it looked like we might "lose" the cold war.  Then this happened to kick off the 1980s.  Now I am not dumb enough to say this hockey game "caused" anything.  But it was quite refreshing to say the least.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 10:41:33 AM »

That will never, ever be replicated.  Everyone knows the complete underdog story, but I don't think people fully appreciate how much the late 1970s sucked in the US.  Vietnam War....craphole of an economy (much worse than what we just went through)...  In many ways it looked like we might "lose" the cold war.  Then this happened to kick off the 1980s.  Now I am not dumb enough to say this hockey game "caused" anything.  But it was quite refreshing to say the least.

Well, replacing Jimmy Carter with a real leader might have had some impact...

When I was at Marquette the prime rate was hovering around 20%, gold went from $32 to $800 an ounce, and fuel shortages had gas stations closed on alternating days and lines down the block. Carter gets on TV wearing a cardigan and tells America that it is suffering from a malaise so turn down the thermostat and get yourself a warm sweater.  

In national security matters Iranian radicals seized our embassy and held our people hostage for 400 days. Was it a coincidence they were freed on the day Ronald Reagan was inaugurated?

It is difficult to believe Carter is an Academy grad. He ordered that military personnel assigned to the NCR to not wear their uniforms to work because he thought Washington looked like a military garrison. Our Chiefs of Staff and everyone else working at the Pentagon reported for duty in mufti.

My father was an AF Wing Commander in that era. Many aircraft couldn't fly for lack of fuel and spare parts so combat readiness was lower than at any time since Pearl Harbor. I recall my mother leading the Officers' Wives Club to collect government cheese and other foodstuffs for the young enlisted families whose pay was so low they qualified for welfare but were too proud to apply for it.

I believe Jimmy Carter is a decent, honorable man but he was terrible as a leader. People wanted hope and inspiration in those difficult days but Carter's message was America is in decline so get used to it. He was the anti-Nixon but unfortunately he was the wrong man for the wrong time.  

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 10:47:50 AM »
How could I have forgotten the hostage crisis...which started just a few months before the Olympics began?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 10:48:51 AM »

It never will again.  I bought Miracle the other day for my son to watch.  Pretty good movie.  I was only 11 when we won that game, but still gives me chills.  Nothing like it.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 10:49:08 AM »

When I was at Marquette the prime rate was hovering around 20%, gold went from $32 to $800 an ounce, and fuel shortages had gas stations closed on alternating days and lines down the block. Carter gets on TV wearing a cardigan and tells America that it is suffering from a malaise so turn down the thermostat and get yourself a warm sweater.  

In national security matters Iranian radicals seized our embassy and held our people hostage for 400 days. Was it a coincidence they were freed on the day Ronald Reagan was inaugurated?

It is difficult to believe Carter is an Academy grad. He ordered that military personnel assigned to the NCR to not wear their uniforms to work because he thought Washington looked like a military garrison. Our Chiefs of Staff and everyone else working at the Pentagon reported for duty in mufti.

My father was an AF Wing Commander in that era. Many aircraft couldn't fly for lack of fuel and spare parts so combat readiness was lower than at any time since Pearl Harbor. I recall my mother leading the Officers' Wives Club to collect government cheese and other foodstuffs for the young enlisted families whose pay was so low they qualified for welfare but were too proud to apply for it.

I believe Jimmy Carter is a decent, honorable man but he was terrible as a leader. People wanted hope and inspiration in those difficult days but Carter's message was America is in decline so get used to it. He was the anti-Nixon but unfortunately he was the wrong man for the wrong time.  

Efficient summary.  Thank you.
Ludum habemus.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »

+1

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 10:51:10 AM »

Yup, that about sums it up. Malaise. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
Oh and I should add that as a kid growing up in Madison, Wisconsin hockey was huge at the time.  (The football and basketball teams sucked.)  Two of the Miracle on Ice members were Badgers that I had seen play many times, and between that and Eric Heiden, those Olympics were very much the greatest sporting event of my childhood.

So I am a little biased.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 11:02:50 AM »
I love the Olympics, but NBC is tragic. Completely takes the experience away. I've restored to streaming from the internet because I could not deal with NBC and its crap anymore. We must have the worst Olympic coverage out of any of the powerhouse countries. Completely biased and only showing that what America is good at. It's a global spectacle. 6 hours of figure skating is 6 hours too much. Unbelievable how terrible NBC is. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 12:05:20 PM »
Oh and I should add that as a kid growing up in Madison, Wisconsin hockey was huge at the time.  (The football and basketball teams sucked.)  Two of the Miracle on Ice members were Badgers that I had seen play many times, and between that and Eric Heiden, those Olympics were very much the greatest sporting event of my childhood.

So I am a little biased.

I think the coach of that team was also the coach at UW Madison. Bob Johnson won a few titles while at Wisconsin.

Death on call

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 12:11:19 PM »
I love the Olympics, but NBC is tragic. Completely takes the experience away. I've restored to streaming from the internet because I could not deal with NBC and its crap anymore. We must have the worst Olympic coverage out of any of the powerhouse countries. Completely biased and only showing that what America is good at. It's a global spectacle. 6 hours of figure skating is 6 hours too much. Unbelievable how terrible NBC is. 

I noticed this too. Every US athlete is apparently the best in the world, but very few have been medaling. Worse yet is when the announcers make up a bunch of excuses concerning snow conditions or some crap for the reason they finished 8th.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 12:16:56 PM »
I think the coach of that team was also the coach at UW Madison. Bob Johnson won a few titles while at Wisconsin.

Herb Brooks was the '80 coach.  Johnson coached in '76 though.  I believe Johnson is the only coach to win both an NCAA title and a Stanley Cup as coach. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 12:22:25 PM »

Herb Brooks was the '80 coach.  Johnson coached in '76 though.  I believe Johnson is the only coach to win both an NCAA title and a Stanley Cup as coach. 

Roger, Brooks. You are correct, sir.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »
I noticed this too. Every US athlete is apparently the best in the world, but very few have been medaling. Worse yet is when the announcers make up a bunch of excuses concerning snow conditions or some crap for the reason they finished 8th.

Let's face it - jingoism IS what the Olympics is all about.

I was glad to see Noelle Pikus-Pace medal. Quite a comeback from a gruesome accident. I love how her family is her central incentive. She is a poster child for the LDS Church. Theology aside they stress some important core values and she certainly embodies them in her daily life.

Death on call