[Today at 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:28:57 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by Jay Bee
[Today at 03:22:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What do you think of Vander Blue at this point?  (Read 11535 times)

Stronghold

• All American
Re: What do you think of Vander Blue at this point?
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 07:07:34 PM »
I think what if everyone on this year team's received an equal share of the competitiveness and confidence that Vander had...

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 09:14:54 PM »
I think what if everyone on this year team's received an equal share of the competitiveness and confidence that Vander had...

Yup!

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 02:59:38 AM »
There are a million Vander Blue's out there.  Really good athlete.  Can't shoot.  Won't ever make it in an environment where that gets exposed.  I also watched a couple of his D league games and while his form continues to improve, he's still streaky and takes too many bad shots.  I wish he had stayed to get his degree because he - unlike JFB or Novak or Jae - will need to make more money after basketball than he did during basketball. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

silverback

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 03:11:46 AM »
He made the decision to leave early. It hurt the team, but his intention determines if it was stupid or not.

If his intention was to get out of a college experience he didn't enjoy – to take some money playing basketball ASAP, then his decision to go was smart.

If his intention was to be a draft choice and have a prominent entry into an NBA career, he was an arrogant fool. A senior year at MU would've set him up like Butler, Crowder, etc.

Only he knows what his intention was.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 04:42:59 AM »
He made the decision to leave early. It hurt the team, but his intention determines if it was stupid or not.

If his intention was to get out of a college experience he didn't enjoy – to take some money playing basketball ASAP, then his decision to go was smart.

If his intention was to be a draft choice and have a prominent entry into an NBA career, he was an arrogant fool. A senior year at MU would've set him up like Butler, Crowder, etc.

His goal was to play in the NBA. Mission accomplished. Let's see if he can parlay this opportunity into something more.

I don't think Wes Matthews really cares how he got to the show. Some guys arrive in limos but hitch hike home. Wes hitch hiked there but now goes home in a limo. Doesn't matter how you get there. What matters is how long you stay.

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 08:25:47 AM »
Yes, that's the first thing that pops into my head when I think of Vander.

Since you asked about what Vander actually was, he was a below average player for the first 2.5 years at MU. He stepped up big time the 2H of last year. I understand why he decided to leave and harbor no ill will against his decision.

But he could have been a legend

Mostly agreed.  Except I'd say "average" for 2.5 years - the "below average" was mainly relative to expectations.  And if he'd stayed and played like he did down the stretch last season, we'd be debating whether our seed would be a 3 or a 4....
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 08:29:21 AM by GooooMarquette »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 08:34:49 AM »
My first thought(s) would be I wish him well in his pro career and hope for his success. My second thought would be that he really turned the corner last year and was set to be a big time player for Marquette this season in what was expected to be a big time season. As the season has progressed I don't focus on the second one, because I focus on what the team is instead of what it isn't. And I root for the team for what it is. I have no hard feelings.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 10:12:50 AM »
There are a million Vander Blue's out there. 

Even if it was only a 10-day contact, Vander Blue made the NBA.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »
There are a million Vander Blue's out there.

Your drastic exaggeration is not helping your argument.

VB was a top 50 recruit out of high school, all-conference in one of the best conferences in cbball, an NBA player, etc..

Pretty far from 1 in a million.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 10:24:43 AM »
Even if it was only a 10-day contact, Vander Blue made the NBA.

He actually PLAYED in the NBA, something Jerel McNeal never did.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 12:59:00 PM »
Leave...this man, alone. LOL...for crying out loud.

Let him go about his career path and journey in life free...What do you mean "what do we think of him at this point?"

He doesn't care and neither should you. Wish him well or not and leave him be. Dang!

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2014, 01:03:48 PM »
He actually PLAYED in the NBA, something Jerel McNeal never did.
Jerel McNeal did play in the NBA with Utah didn't he among other teams. It wasn't long but Jerel logged some NBA minutes if I am not mistaken.

And even if he didn't, please root for him! I am...he is still working and from what I have seen of some obscure guys who have played in the NBA he will get his chance.

If they stopped passing over kids from the US who play 4 years of college for this foreign players teams just stash and stockpile we might see guys like Dominic James and Jerel McNeal and Lazar Hayward back in the league.

As watered down as the NBA is...I know they are better then many of the guys in the league and got some great coaching and preparation here at MU.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2014, 01:05:48 PM »
He doesn't care

He doesn't care? He doesn't care! Then what the hell are we all doing here?

Death on call

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2014, 01:08:55 PM »
His goal was to play in the NBA. Mission accomplished. Let's see if he can parlay this opportunity into something more.

I don't think Wes Matthews really cares how he got to the show. Some guys arrive in limos but hitch hike home. Wes hitch hiked there but now goes home in a limo. Doesn't matter how you get there. What matters is how long you stay.
Excellent! Wonderful post... #1 bump this one...

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2014, 01:10:02 PM »

If his intention was to get out of a college experience he didn't enjoy – to take some money playing basketball ASAP, then his decision to go was smart.

Another great one....Good stuff. I echo these sentiments as well. Well done.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 01:16:38 PM »
This may be true, but I would argue that he was probably more important to the team than Lazar, Jimmy, or Jae were in their junior years.

No....he wasn't. No....Jimmy, Jae, and Lazar were crucial their junior and senior years. Vander would have been more crucial then any of them had him come back on this particular team. But he didn't so it is a moot point.

Jimmy, Jae, and Lazar could shoot.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2014, 03:06:38 PM »
After reading this thread...definitely under appreciated.

The kid made it to the association. That makes him one of the top 1% of college basketball players. Kid is a great talent and I expect to see him  stick on a rotation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2014, 05:31:26 PM »
We could have used him this year. Heard melodies are sweet.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2014, 09:44:29 PM »
No....he wasn't. No....Jimmy, Jae, and Lazar were crucial their junior and senior years. Vander would have been more crucial then any of them had him come back on this particular team. But he didn't so it is a moot point.

Jimmy, Jae, and Lazar could shoot.

I don't think you could possibly argue that Jae was more important than VB in their junior years.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2014, 09:48:31 PM »
Vander picked a chance at his dream.  That's fine.  Sucks for us fans, but that's his life.  Also, the turmoil in conference upheaval probably played big in his decision...?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2014, 09:59:11 PM »
Vander picked a chance at his dream.  That's fine.  Sucks for us fans, but that's his life.  Also, the turmoil in conference upheaval probably played big in his decision...?
You really think conference upheaval played a role?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2014, 10:04:25 PM »
You really think conference upheaval played a role?

He was very upset about the Val Ackerman hire.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2014, 10:11:53 PM »
Last weekend I was watching the Butler and Miami tournament games.  He is exactly what we need this year.

Do you have video of those games? I looked for them recently--my search included the NCAA vault--but came up empty.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2014, 10:57:16 PM »

He was very upset about the Val Ackerman hire.

It wasn't so much the hire that upset him but Ackerman's choice of Ikea furniture for the new Conference offices. It was then that Vander Blue knew his future lay elsewhere, beyond the Conference Without a Website.

Death on call

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2014, 02:07:13 PM »
What does crap like this even mean? Man, talk about a panties mindset. And it's easy for you to say if he stayed he would've been good because you have no basis for it and will never be wrong about the assertion. Course, considering the displeased view you have of him I can't imagine Vander could do anything, short of laying a whore in your lap, to shake you off the self-righteous "he was cocky and now has paid for it" stance.

By the way, were you one of the cognoscenti in October who said unquestionably this version of MU basketball would be better off without Vander Blue?

Lol did you not read your own post?  Pot calling the kettle black.  But even if he'd stayed I'd still think he was overly cocky and you'd still have your panties in a bundle about it but thank you for your long insulting post sorry I upset you oh so much. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback