collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: IU natives are restless  (Read 38980 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: IU natives are restless
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2014, 07:27:29 PM »
Correct. They didn't give the guy an $8Million buyout so they can perform at the level of Marquette and Wisconsin. For the amount of time and money invested, right or wrong, the expectation is Kanasas and Kentucky.

They had a five year plan that we've heard a lot about here, and it worked pretty well.  Unfortunately, it looks lie they didn't update that plan once the five years were up.

Glass only SAID he gave Crean an $8MM buyout. It was actually $16MM but many people are just finding that out. Glass has to publicly defend Crean as coach as he tied his own hands. The question is whether the media asks Glass why he wasn't forthcoming / misleading... or as Chicos would say, "stupid".
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:19:25 PM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2014, 08:59:37 PM »
Yeah, but we're a hell of a lot better against UW than we were under the Bronze Beast. Look, we're much better off than we were under the previous regime and we've been much better than the previous regime's new team has been too. The Marquette community is overwhelmingly happy Crean has been replaced by Buzz. Why argue with the Marquette people who hate Crean? He gone, thank God. Go on one of your Indiana boards and argue with all the Hoosier fans who are on to him. Tons of them and the numbers are growing daily.

Again, comparing different teams against different times.    Wisconsin obviously isn't that great this year if Tom Crean can beat them.   ;D

Why would I go to an IU board, when here on the MU board there are IU threads whenever something bad happens but near silence when something good happens.  It's like a bunch of people here have an obsession with someone at IU.  It's easier to just come here. 

We may or may not be better off than the previous regime, LET ALONE MUCH BETTER off.  If I recall, the last regime got us to THIS regime by hiring Buzz, pushing for Buzz, leaving him with one of the best lineups MU has had in decades.  Leaving us in the Big East, a new basketball practice facility etc, etc....all of which didn't exist prior to that last regime.  Don't forget it.....unfortunately you have.

Let's see when Buzz leaves how the handoff is.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2014, 09:16:01 PM »
Let's see when Buzz leaves how the handoff is.

The "handoff"?! That's part of the issue for some, Chicos. The old ESPN ticker handoff.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2014, 09:17:13 PM »
If we're going to get into a conversation regarding the amount of time and money a University has invested in its basketball program relative to its accomplishments, Marquette is at the top of the list for not getting value for investment.

Update the plan?

Don't see how you could possibly be more wrong. You measure value how? Wins and losses?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2014, 09:19:45 PM »
At the 5 year mark, they were ranked #1 in the country, one their first Big Ten title in 20+ years.  They lost four, 1000 point scorers...it happens.    They were picked 6th, we'll see where they land.  We were picked 1st....we'll see where we land.

Pre-season picks are relevant, how?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2014, 10:14:10 PM »
Pre-season picks are relevant, how?

I don't think they are, but so many people here think they are.  Remember all the "IU was preseason #1" last year....so it only matters to IU, but not to MU?  LOL.  That's why I used it...if people are going to use a stat to make an argument about one entity, they sure as hell better be ready to use the same stat consistently.

Now, all that being said...IU lost four 1000 point scorers.  MU lost one.   People here saying how big the Vander loss was, including me.  I absolutely think it was huge.  Yet same people pooh pooh the loss of four 1000 point scorers, 70% of your rebounding, etc, etc as if it is nothing because it happens to be on another team.   Classic.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2014, 10:15:02 PM »
The "handoff"?! That's part of the issue for some, Chicos. The old ESPN ticker handoff.

Yeah, I liked the July quitting by Rick Majerus better...that handoff was awesome.  Left us in great shape.

More importantly, while some of you are so entrenched in the "handoff", ask yourself some simple questions.

Where was MU when he started and where was MU when he left.  CUSA vs Big East.  MU Gym vs Al Center.  Top 15 program vs not even NIT program.  Final Four for first time in decades.  5 NCAAs in 7 years, hadn't been done in decades.  Actual NBA players multiple years.  Buzz Williams on staff.  Etc, etc.

Yes, the handoff.   We are WORLDS better as a result, but some people are so incredibly juvenile they refuse to acknowledge it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:17:41 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2014, 10:20:19 PM »
Don't see how you could possibly be more wrong. You measure value how? Wins and losses?

Graduating kids
ACR Scores
Not having kids accused of raping other students on the front pages of the paper and news
Adding infrastructure (Al McGuire Center)
Getting into the best college basketball league in history
Final Four
NCAA Appearances
Players that continue to play at the next level and promote the university
ESPN Game Day visits
Television appearances
Sellouts, revenue
Etc, etc

Lots of ways to measure value, not just wins and losses

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2014, 10:21:34 PM »
Well, at least we all know who Chicos' Valentine honey is.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2014, 04:31:12 AM »
Yeah, I liked the July quitting by Rick Majerus better...that handoff was awesome.  

You have to remember that Majerus was young and immature when he quit Marquette. I much prefer the sophisticated, mature Majerus at Utah. That Majerus exuded a gravitas that commanded respect and no other coach in the NCAA could sh1t in a towel quite the way Rick did.

As for handoff, I think he handed the soiled terry cloth off to the team manager.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2014, 04:55:52 AM »
Actually Rick blew us off in June, which was a BF'in in itself. But, Hank dropped the potato in the entire hirin' process. Newell was announced around July 4, then it became laughable from there.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2014, 05:59:18 AM »
Actually Rick blew us off in June, which was a BF'in in itself. But, Hank dropped the potato in the entire hirin' process. Newell was announced around July 4, then it became laughable from there.

Doc

I was stationed at Misawa AB, Japan during Rick's Marquette tenure. Besides being the pre-internet Dark Ages I was also pretty busy as a barrel chested freedom fighter flying Lawn Darts to keep Ivan at bay so I had zero visibility to MU basketball. What the hell was the problem and why didn't Rick succeed? Hell, he hit stride at Ball State immediately so the maturity story seems spurious.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2014, 09:38:03 AM »
Crash,
I think Rick needed some time to mature from an assistant coach to the main dude. As the assistant, he was everything from a buddy to Mother Confessor for these kids. Couldn't do that as the head coach. He put a lot of self imposed pressure on himself to carry on the winning tradition in the Marquette way. But, 3 NIT appearances just doesn't cut it. Losing out on recruits like Rick Olson and Joe Wolf really sealed his fate. He felt the pressure from alums. Luckily for Rick, his buddy Don Nelson brought his ass onboard the Bucks caravan.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2014, 09:53:34 AM »
Crash,
I think Rick needed some time to mature from an assistant coach to the main dude. As the assistant, he was everything from a buddy to Mother Confessor for these kids. Couldn't do that as the head coach. He put a lot of self imposed pressure on himself to carry on the winning tradition in the Marquette way. But, 3 NIT appearances just doesn't cut it. Losing out on recruits like Rick Olson and Joe Wolf really sealed his fate. He felt the pressure from alums. Luckily for Rick, his buddy Don Nelson brought his ass onboard the Bucks caravan.

Thanks, Doc. Imagine if he had just a tad more seasoning what could have been for our beloved alma mater. The man could coach.

My favorite, "The NCAA is Ridiculous" saga involved Majerus. The only ding in an otherwise impeccable ethical record was for picking up the tab for some cheeseburgers in the coffee shop at the hotel he lived in. If it was in his kitchen in a conventional house it would have been ok. Majerus correctly pointed out that the coffee shop was his house and that he was meeting with Keith van Horn whose father had just passed away. Frankly, I am proud Rick grabbed that check while helping out a person who was hurting deeply. Marquette trained him well.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2014, 02:15:43 PM »
Well, at least we all know who Chicos' Valentine honey is.

My wife, but we don't celebrate Valentine's Day...we find the "holiday" to be contrived and commercialized.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2014, 02:18:58 PM »
You have to remember that Majerus was young and immature when he quit Marquette. I much prefer the sophisticated, mature Majerus at Utah. That Majerus exuded a gravitas that commanded respect and no other coach in the NCAA could sh1t in a towel quite the way Rick did.

As for handoff, I think he handed the soiled terry cloth off to the team manager.

Oh, believe me, I know the circumstances.  Rick got to explain it to us at one of the awards ceremonies he was in town for in the late 1990's.  Nevertheless, he left us in a TERRIBLE position.

Crean, he left us with Buzz Williams, a new practice center, the Big East conference, a star laden lineup, etc. 

Damn him.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2014, 02:21:37 PM »
My wife, but we don't celebrate Valentine's Day...we find the "holiday" to be contrived and commercialized.

What the hell are you? Some sort of fluoridated Commie subversive? Get with the effing program and buy a Whitman's Sampler!

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2014, 04:25:56 PM »
Purdue 50-34 early in the second. ooofta
-----

edit: Wow, now up to 25 point lead for Purdue. 10th place awaits i4.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 04:57:23 PM by Jay Bee »

GOO

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2014, 07:09:52 PM »
All holidays are commercialized.  Many are contrived, at least early on at some point.

But, we also skip eating out on Valentine's day and New Years Eve.  Food is not as good, they rush you, and the service is over worked.... however, the worst food and service is served on New Year's Day, definitely a day to avoid eating out and a holiday to stay in.  

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2014, 04:15:40 PM »
Things really are collapsing in Bloomington.

https://vine.co/v/MZJAjqL76En

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2014, 04:23:42 PM »

I like broadcaster Majerus the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RXaERVhNuU

brandx

« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2014, 04:26:29 PM »
The roof is falling in on Crean - literally.

Tuesday night's scheduled matchup between No. 15 Iowa and Indiana in Bloomington, Ind., has been postponed after a piece of metal fell from the ceiling and damaged seats at Assembly Hall hours before the game was scheduled to begin.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2014, 04:28:44 PM »
Crean likely arranged for this roof damage

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2014, 04:58:14 PM »
"An Indiana State record for roof Damage!"

"The #1 roof damaged arena in the country"

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2014, 05:13:20 PM »
Clearly the roof is struggling to support all of those new banners.