[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Joys of DVR  (Read 3258 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
The Joys of DVR
« on: February 12, 2014, 08:38:23 AM »
It seems many of our last several games have occured during a conflict for me with the youth girls team I coach.  So I sat down around 8:30 (7:30 Central) last night and watched the game from the beginning via DVR.  It is so much more enjoyable watching the game that way, seeing the whole game in just 60 to 75 minutes.  I was curious, does anybody purposely watch the games in that fashion, by recording it and then watching from the beginning maybe an hour after it starts?  Because I could see myself doing that at some point.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

🏀

• All American
Re: The Joys of DVR
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 08:49:17 AM »
I watch MU games live.

As for NFL Sundays, I usually record the games I want to see and start watching around 2P. Give me time to do stuff on Sunday and by the time the afternoon game is over, I'm watching it live.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 09:05:58 AM »
It seems many of our last several games have occured during a conflict for me with the youth girls team I coach.  So I sat down around 8:30 (7:30 Central) last night and watched the game from the beginning via DVR.  It is so much more enjoyable watching the game that way, seeing the whole game in just 60 to 75 minutes.  I was curious, does anybody purposely watch the games in that fashion, by recording it and then watching from the beginning maybe an hour after it starts?  Because I could see myself doing that at some point.

You are mostly an exception, though I did the same thing last night simply because work conflicts got in the way.  Most of the data we have shows folks watch sports live...in your case you are watching it near live which is not that far off.  The reason why sports television fees are so out of control is because they are "DVR PROOF", meaning very few people watch sports delayed.  You get past one day, the DVR playing of sports is extremely small, whereas for other shows many people are willing to wait a few days, or even binge watch.

The one advantage of doing it the way you are, you can consume the whole game in about 2/3 of the time.  FF the commercials, the dead space during a game (timeouts, etc).  For me, it also depends if I know the score.  Last night, I knew the score before watching so I blew through most of the game, didn't care about the commentary, etc.  If I didn't know the score, I would have only FF through the commercials.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:09:11 AM »
I had a meeting last night and got home to watch the last 10 seconds of the first half live.   During halftime, I watched the first half and then watched the second half live.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 09:17:08 AM »
I prefer to watch live but I'll occasionally start the game about 30-45 minutes late so that I can FF thru commercials and halftime before watching most of the 2nd half live. I also typically watch the early-ish games with my 4.5-year-old sons who don't have the longest of attention spans so being able to FF really helps with that...except when they see a commercial for The Lego Movie and want to re-watch it 6-8 times.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 12:31:45 PM »
I prefer to watch live but I'll occasionally start the game about 30-45 minutes late so that I can FF thru commercials and halftime before watching most of the 2nd half live.

Same here.  Most games live, but if there's a time crunch (usually my daughter's homework), we start with recording/fast forwarding, then usually watch the last few minutes live.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 12:42:19 PM »
You are mostly an exception, though I did the same thing last night simply because work conflicts got in the way.  Most of the data we have shows folks watch sports live...in your case you are watching it near live which is not that far off.  The reason why sports television fees are so out of control is because they are "DVR PROOF", meaning very few people watch sports delayed.  You get past one day, the DVR playing of sports is extremely small, whereas for other shows many people are willing to wait a few days, or even binge watch.

The one advantage of doing it the way you are, you can consume the whole game in about 2/3 of the time.  FF the commercials, the dead space during a game (timeouts, etc).  For me, it also depends if I know the score.  Last night, I knew the score before watching so I blew through most of the game, didn't care about the commentary, etc.  If I didn't know the score, I would have only FF through the commercials.

Pretty much what i do. Prefer to watch sports live, but will DVR if there are schedule conflicts. If I don't know the score I just FF the commercials, otherwise I'll FF through parts of the game. More so if I know my team lost, less for a win.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 02:11:27 PM »
There have been a couple of games this season where I fast forwarded through the game and just watched the commercials.  Second half of the St. John's game comes to mind.
Ludum habemus.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 02:23:58 PM »

We regularly watch games on at least a 30 min tape delay, sometimes more depending on when the game starts and when the kids go to bed.

Pretty much the only time we watch MU live is March Madness.

The key is to put the phone away to avoid texts and tweets!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 02:37:19 PM »

All the time.

I've gotten so spoiled and hate commercials so much that I watch most sporting events this way now. I like to let a college basketball game get at least 45 minutes ahead. I tell my MU buds and kids not to text me to chat about the game because I'm DVR-ing it. "No spoilers, please!" is a phrase I use often.

BTW, can't remember if I've told you this already, but I'm a fellow CT native though I haven't lived there in many years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 04:30:37 PM »
We regularly watch games on at least a 30 min tape delay, sometimes more depending on when the game starts and when the kids go to bed.

Pretty much the only time we watch MU live is March Madness.

The key is to put the phone away to avoid texts and tweets!

Actually texts and tweets are almost the only reason I watch games live.  If I wasn't lazy I would find a way to put my twitter feed on the tv along side the game.  I think the insights and snark make the game much more interesting.  If I didn't have that, I would definitely watch sports on DVR delay to avoid the commercial.  Had to last night because a work thing, got home at 715 and finished watching around 820...it was awesome.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 05:19:03 PM »
There have been a couple of games this season where I fast forwarded through the game and just watched the commercials.  Second half of the St. John's game comes to mind.

Point to Sir Larry

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 07:13:16 PM »
Actually texts and tweets are almost the only reason I watch games live.  If I wasn't lazy I would find a way to put my twitter feed on the tv along side the game.  I think the insights and snark make the game much more interesting.  If I didn't have that, I would definitely watch sports on DVR delay to avoid the commercial.  Had to last night because a work thing, got home at 715 and finished watching around 820...it was awesome.

You should Viggle the game, earn points (prizes) for watching on your TV and within the Viggle app have the running twitter rants.  That way you are essentially being paid to watch the game and enjoy the social aspect.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 08:51:04 PM »
You should Viggle the game, earn points (prizes) for watching on your TV and within the Viggle app have the running twitter rants.  That way you are essentially being paid to watch the game and enjoy the social aspect.

Interesting, never heard of this app, I'll have to look in to it...thanks
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 10:24:38 AM »
Well, so much for the joys of DVR.  My wife and I had a 6 PM dinner date with some other couples Saturday night, so I only watched the first half of the MU-X game and was recording it the whole while.  Came home late and sat down to watch second half after church Sunday morning, and found that despite the DVR saying it recorded Fox College Basketball, it had actually recorded Showtime (really confusing since they are channels 5 and 92 on my TV).  So I actually recorded some horrible National Lampoon comedy about lawn bowling of all things with Vince Vaughn and the guy who says "That'll do, pig" in Babe. 

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 11:22:22 AM »
Well, so much for the joys of DVR.  My wife and I had a 6 PM dinner date with some other couples Saturday night, so I only watched the first half of the MU-X game and was recording it the whole while.  Came home late and sat down to watch second half after church Sunday morning, and found that despite the DVR saying it recorded Fox College Basketball, it had actually recorded Showtime (really confusing since they are channels 5 and 92 on my TV).  So I actually recorded some horrible National Lampoon comedy about lawn bowling of all things with Vince Vaughn and the guy who says "That'll do, pig" in Babe. 

When I set up a recording for something I really want to watch (or if I'm setting up something my wife wants, and I don't want to die if I screw it up), I always follow up by checking the To Do list.  That shows what's set up to record over the next several days, and I can verify that I didn't mess something up.  I have a TiVo, but I assume most/all DVRs have a similar feature.  I have the TiVo app on my iPad and usually set up the recording and check it there.  Faster and easier than turning on my home theater system.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 01:45:23 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337879/

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 01:52:13 PM »
When I set up a recording for something I really want to watch (or if I'm setting up something my wife wants, and I don't want to die if I screw it up), I always follow up by checking the To Do list.  That shows what's set up to record over the next several days, and I can verify that I didn't mess something up.  I have a TiVo, but I assume most/all DVRs have a similar feature.  I have the TiVo app on my iPad and usually set up the recording and check it there.  Faster and easier than turning on my home theater system.

I usually set up recording the MU game ahead of time.  In this case, I was running around all day, got home shortly before tip-off and just hit the record button while watching the game as it was starting, and set it to end an hour late in case of OT.  Record stuff regularly and never had a problem before.  I do not think it was an ID 10T error.  Even said College Basketball on the recorded item.  TV must've been on Showtime before I switched to the game and I recorded before the DVR caught up or something.  Anyway, not going to worry about it, but will be more careful next time.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 01:58:17 PM »
Reminds me of chick's DVR story.

Can't get out of work so has to DVR the Davidson game while I'm in Lexington.  Her plan is to join me Friday in advance of next game assuming we advance.  I'm sworn to absolute secrecy (no text, no call, etc.)  Well for most of the game I'm worried that I'm simply coming home.  Then the miracle. But I have to stay silent, at least electronically

About 90 minutes after I'm back at the post-game party my phone explodes.  OMG, OMG, OMG!  It was like winning all over again.