Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Season Starts Tonight (Against Seton Hall)  (Read 6116 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Season Starts Tonight (Against Seton Hall)
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:39:40 AM »
As noted in many other posts, we are not a tourney team today ... but the season is not over.  Win tonight, for our first two game winning streak since December and we can BEGIN the process of turning things around.

Next three games

@ Seton Hall Tuesday Feb 11
(h) Xavier Saturday Feb 15
(h) Creighton Wednesday Feb 19

Win these three ... and we can win them ... and everything changes.

So, tonight is the start of the the season and a potential march to a bid.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 10:47:56 AM by Heisenberg »

MarsupialMadness

• All American
Re: Season Starts Tonight (Against Seton Hall)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:45:29 AM »
Win tonight and then we can talk!

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »
That is great in theory but what has this team shown that makes you think we can win the next 3 games?

We barely beat Seton Hall at home when they were missing a key player.  We lost to Xavier in a game where we hit an incredible 11 threes that will not be replicated again this year and we got blown out by Creighton in a game that was over right after the tip-off.

I will be thrilled with a win tonight.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:59:56 AM »
did Wisconsin's season start or stop against MSU on Sunday?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:02:18 AM »
That is great in theory but what has this team shown that makes you think we can win the next 3 games?

We barely beat Seton Hall at home when they were missing a key player.  We lost to Xavier in a game where we hit an incredible 11 threes that will not be replicated again this year and we got blown out by Creighton in a game that was over right after the tip-off.

I can answer this by stealing the idea of another thread ... we need the "Good Mayo" the next three games.

Whether that happens is another issue.  But if the Good Mayo shows up, yes we can!!!

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 11:02:30 AM »
Their season is over…..I mean they used to be ranked 3rd…and then dropped out of the rankings…..or at least so I read….. ;D

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 11:07:25 AM »
I can answer this by stealing the idea of another thread ... we need the "Good Mayo" the next three games.

Whether that happens is another issue.  But if the Good Mayo shows up, yes we can!!!

Agreed.  More than any other guy we have, Todd's performance can make the difference between MU being a good team or a very mediocre one.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 11:34:44 AM »
yes, the season could start tonight.

it could also end.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 11:46:52 AM »
Never would have thought we'd be a 2pt underdog to Seton Hall on the road....yet, I bet MU to win.  There really is zero reason why Seton Hall should be Marquette if you look at the rosters.  I'm banking on Buzz finally getting it through his head that he just needs to ride Mayo for 30+ per game, much like he did Vander last year...and take the bad with the good.  No reason not to at this point.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 11:51:17 AM »

I agree. To look beyond the next game(tonight) with this team is a fools errand. I think its safe to assume that a loss tonight and Marquette is done as far as the regular season goes. The only hope then would be winning the BE tourney, and that probably wont happen if we can't even beat a 4-6 SH team tonight.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 11:57:51 AM »
I'm bummed I can't see tonight's season opener in person.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 12:02:14 PM »
I think all of this NCAA talk is colored or clouded by our recent (8 years) success.  

If in Feb 2002 we had a 13-10 (5-5) record with a 80+ RPI and our only quality win was George Washington, I don't think anyone would have been talking NCAAs.

Look, I had this team as a FF threat to start the season.  I grossly overrated Otule & Gardner and thought the guards would come around much faster.  I also hoped Jamil would channel Jimmy / Jae.  

Not to be a buzz kill but until we win 2 in row (AT LEAST), there's no business talking about NCAAs.  Don't mean to troll or call posters out, just saying that our hopes for the tourney are probably very influenced by our perspective of cheering for a team with the 6th longest active NCAA appearance streak.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 12:26:03 PM »
I think all of this NCAA talk is colored or clouded by our recent (8 years) success.  

If in Feb 2002 we had a 13-10 (5-5) record with a 80+ RPI and our only quality win was George Washington, I don't think anyone would have been talking NCAAs.

Look, I had this team as a FF threat to start the season.  I grossly overrated Otule & Gardner and thought the guards would come around much faster.  I also hoped Jamil would channel Jimmy / Jae.  

Not to be a buzz kill but until we win 2 in row (AT LEAST), there's no business talking about NCAAs.  Don't mean to troll or call posters out, just saying that our hopes for the tourney are probably very influenced by our perspective of cheering for a team with the 6th longest active NCAA appearance streak.

I agree. All the tourney talk is a pipe dream until we are able to string together a couple of wins. I like people's enthusiasm, but nothing I have seen from this team has made me think we are a tourney team. Now if our freshman step up and make progress I think we could finish strong! That is our only hope in my opinion.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 12:28:26 PM »

I disagree that we are as far out of the picture as you say, but couldn't agree more that we have to win 2 in a row before it's a reasonable discussion.  Several of the bracket guys have us in the next 4 out or the 4 after that....2-1 over the 3 games and we are very much in the discussion.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 12:31:51 PM »
I hope we win tonight so that Saturday's game is still meaningful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 12:50:13 PM »
I'm bummed I can't see tonight's season opener in person.

I'll be there cheering them on. My cousin is a Seton Hall alum. Whoever is ahead at the half pays for the beer.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 12:53:48 PM »

What does this have to do with this thread? Who give's a rat's rump about the Rodents' season? Go to one of the Bucky boards.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 01:09:30 PM »

I get what you're saying, but I think people don't understand how soft the bubble is going to be.  Obviously MU is going to have to string together some wins in the final 8 games - 6-2 is probably the worst they can do without at least appearing in the Big East Championship game, BUT IF they were to go 6-2 or better in the final 8, MU is going to be in pretty good shape.  That is all the OP was trying to say. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 01:30:04 PM »
Last game gave us a glimmer of hope. This needs to be step two. Mayo is on fire tonight if he starts with Buzz encouragement. No time to quit.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 01:44:05 PM »
The Hall is a similar L, W, L, W, L, W, L run that we are.  They are coming off a L, we are coming off a W.  Hopefully the streak breaks for both tonight.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 01:56:12 PM »

What does this have to do with this thread? Who give's a rat's rump about the Rodents' season? Go to one of the Bucky boards.

The clue that you missed is that he was responding to Heisenberg.  Who started this thread.  And, who started another thread regarding Wisco and MU's NCAA chances.  Not agreeing necessarily, just explainin'
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 02:20:01 PM »
Last game gave us a glimmer of hope. This needs to be step two. Mayo is on fire tonight if he starts with Buzz encouragement. No time to quit.

Well, I'd feel better if Todd wasn't starting the game with a ready made excuse for not playing well.

You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 02:32:49 PM »
The clue that you missed is that he was responding to Heisenberg.  Who started this thread.  And, who started another thread regarding Wisco and MU's NCAA chances.  Not agreeing necessarily, just explainin'

That is correct, lots of closet Bucky fan boys all excited I'm looking wrong in my prediction that Bucky will not make the tourney. 

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 02:34:04 PM »
Well, maybe read the rest of the topics of the board - there is a long standing idiotic thread the author of this thread started entitled "MU to make the Tourney, Bucky Will Not"

my post was a continuation of the mocking in that thread...

Glad you are the self appointed police of what somebody can post with no knowledge of current posts...

by the way, I am NOT a closet Bucky fan by any stretch....

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 02:34:57 PM »

Starting is not important.  You know he will be in the game within the first 5 minutes.  The key is Buzz have some patience with him and not give him the quick hook should he take a bad shot or commit a TO.

feedback