Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The middle of the Big East  (Read 9196 times)

Windyplayer

• All American
The middle of the Big East
« on: February 09, 2014, 02:50:46 PM »
The remaining schedules for the middle teams:

Xavier: @Butler, @Marquette, DePaul, @Gtown, @SJU, Creighton, @Seton Hall, Villanova
Providence: @Gtown, DePaul, Villanova, @Butler, @Seton Hall, Marquette, @Creighton
Marquette: @Seton Hall, Xavier, Creighton, @DePaul, Gtown, @Nova, @Providence, SJU
Georgetown: Providence, @SJU, @Seton Hall, Xavier, @Marquette, Creighton, @Nova
St. Johns: Creighton, @Seton Hall, Gtown, Butler, @Nova, Xavier, DePaul, @Marquette.

Notes:
*All teams have Creighton and Nova left on their schedule--not terribly surprising.
*Xavier has an absolutely brutal home stretch with 5 road games against very competitive teams on their home courts--4 of the next 5 on the road with their reward being 2 of their last 3 at home against Nova and Creighton--welcome to a power conference, Musketeers.
*Both Marquette & Georgetown play the "middle" teams 4 times; Providence only twice.
*St. Johns has a nice looking schedule with 5 home games remaining

Should be fun to see how it all shakes out moving forward. Tourney bids are ripe for the taking if any of these teams decides to go on a run. I could see Xavier and Providence fading as St. Johns and Georgetown surge. Marquette really is the wild card in this. We have been idling by for the first 10 games in conference. Time for our boys to decide what kind of team they want to be.   

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: The middle of the Big East
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 03:00:41 PM »
A lot of basketball to play.  I know they are not a "middle" team but I posted in the Superbar we are soon going to find out if Creighton is for real.  They have a tough schedule coming up.

My money is on Nova to pull away for regular season title.

As for Marquette, I just don't see us better than 11-7 at this point.  And more likely 10-8.  Here's hoping my predictive skills are off.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 03:49:31 PM »
A lot of basketball to play.  I know they are not a "middle" team but I posted in the Superbar we are soon going to find out if Creighton is for real.  They have a tough schedule coming up.

My money is on Nova to pull away for regular season title.

As for Marquette, I just don't see us better than 11-7 at this point.  And more likely 10-8.  Here's hoping my predictive skills are off.
Creighton is for real. A better one would be to ask if we are for real.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 03:55:31 PM »

If you are asking whether we have a chance to win the BE regular season title... I think anyone would answer no.

Creighton going against St. John's tonight at MSG.  We are going to find out whether they are vying for a BE regular season title tonight and their upcoming tough road schedule.

MU_LOL

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 04:00:50 PM »
Nice summary. Thanks for posting! Should be fun indeed
I'm Ron Burgundy?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 05:03:49 PM »
If you are asking whether we have a chance to win the BE regular season title... I think anyone would answer no.

Creighton going against St. John's tonight at MSG.  We are going to find out whether they are vying for a BE regular season title tonight and their upcoming tough road schedule.

Now that's first rate troll defense!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 05:39:22 PM »
Now that's first rate troll defense!
So, a troll is somebody who has been a lifelong MU fan but questions their performance this year. Unlike  a slurper who blindly believes that MU has a chance to run the table and make the dance, against all evidence to the contrary. Sorry, that is not a slurper, that is somebody who is just plain gullible. Taking bids on the Brooklyn Bridge,

mug644

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 07:09:20 PM »
The remaining schedules for the middle teams:

Xavier: @Butler, @Marquette, DePaul, @Gtown, @SJU, Creighton, @Seton Hall, Villanova
Providence: @Gtown, DePaul, Villanova, @Butler, @Seton Hall, Marquette, @Creighton
Marquette: @Seton Hall, Xavier, Creighton, @DePaul, Gtown, @Nova, @Providence, SJU
Georgetown: Providence, @SJU, @Seton Hall, Xavier, @Marquette, Creighton, @Nova
St. Johns: Creighton, @Seton Hall, Gtown, Butler, @Nova, Xavier, DePaul, @Marquette.

Notes:
*All teams have Creighton and Nova left on their schedule--not terribly surprising.
*Xavier has an absolutely brutal home stretch with 5 road games against very competitive teams on their home courts--4 of the next 5 on the road with their reward being 2 of their last 3 at home against Nova and Creighton--welcome to a power conference, Musketeers.
*Both Marquette & Georgetown play the "middle" teams 4 times; Providence only twice.
*St. Johns has a nice looking schedule with 5 home games remaining

Should be fun to see how it all shakes out moving forward. Tourney bids are ripe for the taking if any of these teams decides to go on a run. I could see Xavier and Providence fading as St. Johns and Georgetown surge. Marquette really is the wild card in this. We have been idling by for the first 10 games in conference. Time for our boys to decide what kind of team they want to be.  

I'm worried that the middle of the pack teams will continue to beat up on each other, keeping the separation between the top 2 (Villanova and Creighton) and 3-4-5-6-7 places. My fear is that there is such a big, natural gap between 2nd and 3rd place, and such a narrow difference between 3rd and 7th that the Committee takes just two BEast teams into the Tournament. (That, of course, is barring any surprises in the BEast tournament.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:52:49 AM by mug644 »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 01:41:42 PM »
St John's is on a roll now and is likely to finish 3rd in conference. So there will be three bids. Providence and Xavier are falling.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »
St John's is on a roll now and is likely to finish 3rd in conference. So there will be three bids. Providence and Xavier are falling.
Yup. Likely 3 bids max, unless somebody like Butler or DePaul win the BEast tourney.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 01:49:00 PM »
Do you guys really believe the stuff you post? Xavier is safely in. Not even close to the bubble. Providence, Georgetown, SJU, and Marquette range from last four in to next 12 out on Lunardi's S-Curve update today. Anything less than 4 bids would be shocking

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 02:00:40 PM »

Wow. Xavier is in easy.  Providence is also in a decent position.  If they finish 11-7 or better in coference, I like their chances. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 02:02:14 PM »
Do you guys really believe the stuff you post? Xavier is safely in. Not even close to the bubble. Providence, Georgetown, SJU, and Marquette range from last four in to next 12 out on Lunardi's S-Curve update today. Anything less than 4 bids would be shocking

Totally agree with you.  3 bids would be more surprising than receiving 5 for the BE.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 02:06:37 PM »
I'm just looking at the current records and the schedule. It's possible that Creighton and Vill continue to keep a decent gap between them and 3rd place, with places 3-7 knocking each other around, and possibly no one stepping up. In that case, what might happen? That's all I was wondering. Just speculative curiosity, not predicting.

FWIW, I do see Xavier continuing to play well and being closer to 1 and 2 than 4-7, putting them squarely in. One or two more could do the same, including MU.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 02:08:43 PM »
I'm just looking at the current records and the schedule. It's possible that Creighton and Vill continue to keep a decent gap between them and 3rd place, with places 3-7 knocking each other around, and possibly no one stepping up. In that case, what might happen? That's all I was wondering. Just speculative curiosity, not predicting.

FWIW, I do see Xavier continuing to play well and being closer to 1 and 2 than 4-7, putting them squarely in. One or two more could do the same, including MU.

My comment was directed moreso at Bilsu and Willie than yourself. Specifically saying "3 bid league, max"

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 02:13:37 PM »
Unlike  a slurper who blindly believes that MU has a chance to run the table and make the dance, against all evidence to the contrary. Sorry, that is not a slurper, that is somebody who is just plain gullible. Taking bids on the Brooklyn Bridge,

Or it's someone who views MU basketball as an entertainment outlet and doesn't seen any compelling reason to not keep hoping for the best. You know...because this is supposed to be fun and not aggravating.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »

If Villanova and Creighton run the table and win-out/come close to it, 3 bids would not be out of the question, but that would still depend on other game (DePaul, Butler, SH playing well down the stretch).  Still think 4 bids is the most realistic option, but 3 and 5 bids are also in the cards.  Will be interesting to see how good our conference is in the eyes of the committee.  Could mean a lot to the future perception of the BE for years to come.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 03:03:03 PM »
If Villanova and Creighton run the table and win-out/come close to it, 3 bids would not be out of the question, but that would still depend on other game (DePaul, Butler, SH playing well down the stretch).  Still think 4 bids is the most realistic option, but 3 and 5 bids are also in the cards.  Will be interesting to see how good our conference is in the eyes of the committee.  Could mean a lot to the future perception of the BE for years to come.

I, too, and wondering about how the conference is viewed by the committee, and how that might shape future perceptions. That's why I wonder (even worry) about what might happen if there is such a natural and wide separation between 2nd and 3rd place, as there now is (with Creighton at 9-2 and Xavier at 6-4). I'd hate for the committee to feel like it's "easier" to put just the top two in the field rather than figure out which additional 2 or 3 they should take, if places 3-8 are so tight, as they are now (6-4 to 4-6).

Again, it's all curious speculation, and not what I think will happen. The remaining games and the BEast tourney are likely to separate some of the wheat from the chaff, and I figure we'll be a 3-4 bid conference.

brandx

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 03:13:44 PM »
I, too, and wondering about how the conference is viewed by the committee, and how that might shape future perceptions. That's why I wonder (even worry) about what might happen if there is such a natural and wide separation between 2nd and 3rd place, as there now is (with Creighton at 9-2 and Xavier at 6-4). I'd hate for the committee to feel like it's "easier" to put just the top two in the field rather than figure out which additional 2 or 3 they should take, if places 3-8 are so tight, as they are now (6-4 to 4-6).

Again, it's all curious speculation, and not what I think will happen. The remaining games and the BEast tourney are likely to separate some of the wheat from the chaff, and I figure we'll be a 3-4 bid conference.

That's not how the committee works. They take everything into consideration.

The biggest thing going for MU (if they don't win the BET) is that to be on the bubble, they will need to finish the season on a high note . And how a team played in their last 10 games may be the biggest consideration by the committee when you have a bunch of near equal bubble teams.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 03:19:17 PM »

That is why we have a full season. To find out.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 03:30:10 PM »
The BE will send 5 teams. Which 5? No idea. But 5 will go, watch.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

mug644

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 03:34:24 PM »
That's not how the committee works. They take everything into consideration.

I think you're right…the committee is more focused on comparing bubble teams than they are looking at 'natural' breaks in conference standings.

brandx

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 03:35:12 PM »
The BE will send 5 teams. Which 5? No idea. But 5 will go, watch.

Not a chance.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »
Not a chance.

I smell a betting opportunity...

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 06:14:30 PM »
That is why we have a full season. To find out.
You really believe that we need the rest of the season to assess if we re good this year? What have we done this year so far to warrant that belief? Could of like hoping you hit the lottery?

feedback