[Today at 05:10:01 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Hards Alumni
[Today at 05:06:39 PM]

Oso (and Stevie) by JakeBarnes
[Today at 02:42:16 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[Today at 01:56:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Telling quote by Buzz...  (Read 20514 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Telling quote by Buzz...
« on: February 06, 2014, 06:22:12 PM »
As brilliant as Buzz is..his recent quotes on Todd after the Butler game are really interesting - in that Buzz speaks to his personal best asset as a coach being able to relate to players and understand them - yet Buzz is having such a difficult time understanding why he's getting inconsistent play from Mayo (and others on the team), and Buzz quote on Todd:

"When the chips are down, he shows up," Williams said. "I’d like for him to show up more. He had four turnovers in the first half against St. John’s. He didn’t do much in the second half, didn’t play much. But when he starts good, it typically trends toward it’s going to stay good or get better. When he starts bad, it’s delicate because he feels the stress of, ‘I know I’ve got to be good.’ Sometimes that takes some time for him to work through."

Yes Buzz, your coaching of Todd has conditioned Todd to think this way (and I'm sure Dawson as well) - I know I've got to be really good in my first 2 or 3 minutes...or I'm likely headed to the bench for God knows how long.  I believe the for the first time in Todd's career...Buzz gave him 20 minutes straight of PT in the 2nd half...and Todd didn't really do anything in the first 7:00 minutes of the 2nd half...and if Buzz gave up on him at that point..we'd never have seen the last 13 minutes of brilliance.

You simply cannot yank guys in and out of a lineup and expect good performance.  Yet, somehow he gives Jake and Derrick the longest stretches of PT on the team...and they are arguably two of our least talented players.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/243732681.html#ixzz2sagKG6lX
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Eldon

• All American
Re: Telling quote by Buzz...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 06:35:51 PM »
As brilliant as Buzz is..his recent quotes on Todd after the Butler game are really interesting - in that Buzz speaks to his personal best asset as a coach being able to relate to players and understand them - yet Buzz is having such a difficult time understanding why he's getting inconsistent play from Mayo (and others on the team), and Buzz quote on Todd:

"When the chips are down, he shows up," Williams said. "I’d like for him to show up more. He had four turnovers in the first half against St. John’s. He didn’t do much in the second half, didn’t play much. But when he starts good, it typically trends toward it’s going to stay good or get better. When he starts bad, it’s delicate because he feels the stress of, ‘I know I’ve got to be good.’ Sometimes that takes some time for him to work through."

Yes Buzz, your coaching of Todd has conditioned Todd to think this way (and I'm sure Dawson as well) - I know I've got to be really good in my first 2 or 3 minutes...or I'm likely headed to the bench for God knows how long.  I believe the for the first time in Todd's career...Buzz gave him 20 minutes straight of PT in the 2nd half...and Todd didn't really do anything in the first 7:00 minutes of the 2nd half...and if Buzz gave up on him at that point..we'd never have seen the last 13 minutes of brilliance.

You simply cannot yank guys in and out of a lineup and expect good performance.  Yet, somehow he gives Jake and Derrick the longest stretches of PT on the team...and they are arguably two of our least talented players.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/243732681.html#ixzz2sagKG6lX

Seems plausible.

Todd Mayo was the ONLY person to show up in our S16 game against Florida.  IMO, the heart that he showed in that one game alone should merit a much longer leash IMO.

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:38:58 PM »

You do realize I'm probably the only one left here who can see this right?  From now on post like you are speaking directly to me or I'll put you on ignore too!!!  ;D

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 06:41:19 PM »
You do realize I'm probably the only one left here who can see this right?  From now on post like you are speaking directly to me or I'll put you on ignore too!!!  ;D

LOL!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 06:51:15 PM »

Sorry BenCat12 - I'll try to do better next time.  The irony of everything is that many used to complain here about my undying worship of Buzz, and having blue and gold colored glasses on...yet, now when I'm critical of Buzz and a few players...more complaints.  Moral of the story....no one is ever gonna make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time, and to try to do so is a waste of time.

I suspect vindication will happen at some point - either Dawson starts to get 25+ and team plays better, or we slump to the finish line and NIT....and I know for damn sure nobody on this board was predicting NIT at the start of the season...even after the McKay transfer and Duane injury..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 07:27:40 PM »
Sorry BenCat12 - I'll try to do better next time.  The irony of everything is that many used to complain here about my undying worship of Buzz, and having blue and gold colored glasses on...yet, now when I'm critical of Buzz and a few players...more complaints.  Moral of the story....no one is ever gonna make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time, and to try to do so is a waste of time.

I suspect vindication will happen at some point - either Dawson starts to get 25+ and team plays better, or we slump to the finish line and NIT....and I know for damn sure nobody on this board was predicting NIT at the start of the season...even after the McKay transfer and Duane injury..

I think it is pretty safe to assume Buzz is not playing Dawson 25 plus a game. This is an NIT team whether we like it or not.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 07:32:26 PM »

Ners, the Doctor Phil of MU hoops.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 07:44:44 PM »
Building mental toughness

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 07:49:18 PM »
Not to mention that there have pretty damn good reasons, including this year, why Todd hasn't exactly earned the trust of the coaches.  Believe me, I want him to start, play more, and have stated as such. 

But man...the guy has got to show that he is committed.  And that commitment hasn't always been there.

connie

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 08:20:15 PM »
Ners, the Doctor Phil of MU hoops.
You don't need a pack of wild horses to learn how to make a sandwich.
Phil McGraw
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 08:23:21 PM by connie »
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 08:29:03 PM »
I think it is pretty safe to assume Buzz is not playing Dawson 25 plus a game. This is an NIT team whether we like it or not.

True and true. No "vindication" for Ners unless Dawson a) starts playing 25 minutes per game and b) takes us to the NCAAs. Not gonna happen.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »

+10000 brilliant assessment

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 09:41:42 PM »
1,000,00% psychobabble nonsense

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 12:55:02 AM »

When Dreadman gives you +10000, you may want to rethink your position
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 01:48:44 AM »
TAMU

I would agree if Ners was going on about a freshman Dawson somehow finding 'it' if given more playing time.

With a player like Mayo, I agree with him wholeheartedly.  He's an obviously talented player with a confidence issue for one reason or another and as Sultan has stated some of it is his own doing.  Sometimes tough love and the fear of the bench spurs players on to become better and sometimes it makes a kid revert deeper into their shell.  With Mayo I think it's the latter.

Bart Starr had to go to coach Lombardi privately and tell him not to yell at him in front of his team he was supposed to be leading and to Lombardi's credit he listened.  He treated Starr more delicately than he did guys like Taylor and Hornung.  He understood that individual motivating factors are different among different people.

Buzz WILL learn this over time.  He is young himself.  Hopefully he learns this with Mayo before his career is over at MU and not in hindsight.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 08:33:14 AM »
You guys need to understand something.  Buzz Williams is the ONLY reason Todd Mayo is here this year.  That isn't exaggeration or hyperbole.  And that faith in Todd hasn't always been repaid.

So before we go all armchair psychologist with regards to Buzz and Todd, please understand that there is a back story here.

connie

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 08:50:34 AM »

Bart Starr had to go to coach Lombardi privately and tell him not to yell at him in front of his team he was supposed to be leading and to Lombardi's credit he listened.  He treated Starr more delicately than he did guys like Taylor and Hornung.  He understood that individual motivating factors are different among different people.

Starr went to Lombardi because he thought being reamed in front of the team hampered his ability to lead, not because he couldn't take it.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 09:01:42 AM »
You guys need to understand something.  Buzz Williams is the ONLY reason Todd Mayo is here this year.  That isn't exaggeration or hyperbole.  And that faith in Todd hasn't always been repaid.

So before we go all armchair psychologist with regards to Buzz and Todd, please understand that there is a back story here.
and that would be…..?

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 09:19:43 AM »

Regardless of that (and I agree with you), Buzz has to realize that putting Mayo on a too-short leash may hamper his production more than it benefits him personally. On the other hand, there are games like SJU where he was just plain bad. All I know is that I'm glad I don't have to make those decisions.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 09:22:03 AM »

Beyond agree. I've always been a Todd "homer."  I would rather have him in there making mistakes and playing through them, than anyone else. Certainly, he needs to be pulled at some point, but Buzz has conditioned him to "execute flawlessly or get pulled" (the exact inverse of his toleration of De. Wilson). I believe this kind of pressure changes the way Todd plays -- playing not to make mistakes vs. playing his game. Was odd to see Todd finish the game out -- that is typically not Buzz's style. Maybe he's changing his tactic with Todd idk?  Would love to see Todd actually start and maybe we would see more positive body language from the get-go. I believe Mayo would be an entirely different player if he had more confidence in his place. I'm not the biggest fan of Jake, but no one makes Jake look better than Mayo. Mayo spaces the floor and allows Jake to get open looks. That is good for this team. Without happy Mayo getting 28-30 minutes a game, this team has no chance to succeed in the long term -- just not enough offense from the guards. With him rolling and confident, I believe this team could beat anyone. I would like to see us go all-in with Mayo and let the chips fall.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 09:26:45 AM »
Regardless of that (and I agree with you), Buzz has to realize that putting Mayo on a too-short leash may hamper his production more than it benefits him personally. On the other hand, there are games like SJU where he was just plain bad. All I know is that I'm glad I don't have to make those decisions.

I don't disagree with the longer-leash.  But I'm just saying that Buzz has reasons for what he is doing that aren't "ego" related.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 09:32:35 AM »
This just shows how much the original poster does not understand. Players get pulled when they do not play to the game plan, take bad shots, hustle for 50-50 balls or do not play defense. Thomas plays to game plan, does not take bad shots (although I think he should be more aggressive here), hustles for 50-50 balls and knows what to do on defense. The same goes for Derrick. You play if you follow Buzz's plan, you get pulled if you do not. Leave Harrison (St. John's) open for a three like Mayo did and you get benched. Playing well in Buzz's mind is playing to the above four factors. Look at start of second half against Butler. Gardner started and Butler scored 3 or 4 layups. Gardner pulled and Otule stops the layups from happening. The defense cannot be a sieve.

connie

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 09:35:55 AM »
Beyond agree. I've always been a Todd "homer."  I would rather have him in there making mistakes and playing through them, than anyone else. Certainly, he needs to be pulled at some point, but Buzz has conditioned him to "execute flawlessly or get pulled" (the exact inverse of his toleration of De. Wilson). I believe this kind of pressure changes the way Todd plays -- playing not to make mistakes vs. playing his game. Was odd to see Todd finish the game out -- that is typically not Buzz's style. Maybe he's changing his tactic with Todd idk?  Would love to see Todd actually start and maybe we would see more positive body language from the get-go. I believe Mayo would be an entirely different player if he had more confidence in his place. I'm not the biggest fan of Jake, but no one makes Jake look better than Mayo. Mayo spaces the floor and allows Jake to get open looks. That is good for this team. Without happy Mayo getting 28-30 minutes a game, this team has no chance to succeed in the long term -- just not enough offense from the guards. With him rolling and confident, I believe this team could beat anyone. I would like to see us go all-in with Mayo and let the chips fall.
I agree with a lot of this, but the "bad Todd" we saw at St. John's simply could not be left in the game until he found his groove.  I am sympathetic to the "need to get in a flow" school of thought, but sometimes you don't have that luxury.  We are such a 50/50 team this year that I can't be critical of the short leash.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »

Hey. It worked for Denzel in Remember the Titans.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »
Leave it to NErs to completely miss the intent of what Buzz was saying.  Todd is not feeling pressure to play well or he will be benched, rather he knows he needs to play well for his team to have a chance to win.  Nohing Buzz or any of the coaches can do to make or help Todd play well.  It is that mental battle that all players have to go thru.  Todd seems to make a mistake or two and things begin to slide for him, when he gets to the point where he can over come that , he will be that much of  better and more consiatant player and Mu will be a better team.  Todd has still gotten his minutes when he has played poorly, obviously not as many. This whole premise by Ners of Todd being afraid of not getting time or not getting the time to do his things is horsecrap.  And is simply based on saying something over and over til you belive it.  In the last 14 games Todd has gotten between 23-29 minutes in everygame but the Georgetown and St. johns games. He is top 4 in minutes played.  During those games he has turned in some real stinkers of 2,4,6,8, and zero points scoreded.  yet we use the St. johns game where even he would admit he was horrendous as the basis for a baseless argument.  Dont use the St. Johns game as the one outlier example.  We were getting beat by almost 30 and Todd and Jamil sat in the second half.  It happens get over it.  Todd has gotten his minutes, that has not been the variale, the variable has been what he has done with them.
"execute flawlessly or get pulled"  - my ass!
 "Yes Buzz, your coaching of Todd has conditioned Todd to think this way (and I'm sure Dawson as well) - I know I've got to be really good in my first 2 or 3 minutes...or I'm likely headed to the bench for God knows how long.
" - my ass!!
Buzz gave him 20 minutes straight of PT in the 2nd half-  this is so dumb on so many levels i dont even know where to begin
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 10:08:31 AM by River rat »