[June 07, 2024, 09:44:59 PM]

2024-25 Roster by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[June 07, 2024, 08:14:24 PM]

Incoming freshmen by tower912
[June 07, 2024, 08:06:40 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by The Equalizer
[June 07, 2024, 05:10:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Telling quote by Buzz...  (Read 20515 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Telling quote by Buzz...
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 10:13:10 AM »
TAMU

I would agree if Ners was going on about a freshman Dawson somehow finding 'it' if given more playing time.

With a player like Mayo, I agree with him wholeheartedly.  He's an obviously talented player with a confidence issue for one reason or another and as Sultan has stated some of it is his own doing.  Sometimes tough love and the fear of the bench spurs players on to become better and sometimes it makes a kid revert deeper into their shell.  With Mayo I think it's the latter.

Bart Starr had to go to coach Lombardi privately and tell him not to yell at him in front of his team he was supposed to be leading and to Lombardi's credit he listened.  He treated Starr more delicately than he did guys like Taylor and Hornung.  He understood that individual motivating factors are different among different people.

Buzz WILL learn this over time.  He is young himself.  Hopefully he learns this with Mayo before his career is over at MU and not in hindsight.

I had no idea what Ners posted about. I was commenting on Dreadman more than him
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 10:42:43 AM »
Leave it to NErs to completely miss the intent of what Buzz was saying.  Todd is not feeling pressure to play well or he will be benched, rather he knows he needs to play well for his team to have a chance to win.  Nohing Buzz or any of the coaches can do to make or help Todd play well.  It is that mental battle that all players have to go thru.  Todd seems to make a mistake or two and things begin to slide for him, when he gets to the point where he can over come that , he will be that much of  better and more consiatant player and Mu will be a better team.  Todd has still gotten his minutes when he has played poorly, obviously not as many. This whole premise by Ners of Todd being afraid of not getting time or not getting the time to do his things is horsecrap.  And is simply based on saying something over and over til you belive it.  In the last 14 games Todd has gotten between 23-29 minutes in everygame but the Georgetown and St. johns games. He is top 4 in minutes played.  During those games he has turned in some real stinkers of 2,4,6,8, and zero points scoreded.  yet we use the St. johns game where even he would admit he was horrendous as the basis for a baseless argument.  Dont use the St. Johns game as the one outlier example.  We were getting beat by almost 30 and Todd and Jamil sat in the second half.  It happens get over it.  Todd has gotten his minutes, that has not been the variale, the variable has been what he has done with them.
"execute flawlessly or get pulled"  - my ass!
 "Yes Buzz, your coaching of Todd has conditioned Todd to think this way (and I'm sure Dawson as well) - I know I've got to be really good in my first 2 or 3 minutes...or I'm likely headed to the bench for God knows how long.
" - my ass!!
Buzz gave him 20 minutes straight of PT in the 2nd half-  this is so dumb on so many levels i dont even know where to begin
Respectfully disagree with much you write here, especially "Nothing Buzz or any of the coaches can do to make or help Todd play well." You severely underestimate the role of confidence/mind-set; many times just as important as gym time. When there's no second-guessing and a guy "just plays" with confidence, good things happen.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
u can diagree all you want , and i will agree with you that the coaches can affect confidece  and put players in positions to succeed.  yes I agree with that but at the end of the day the player has to play and over come obstacles.  
What I take objection to is statements like "if I dont perform flawlessly immediately i will not get back in" and the other playing time versus performance bunk that has littered the board.  Todds play and points have been wholly inconsistant.  His minutes have not.  In fact they have been remarkable consistant in that he has played approx 25 minutes in every game out of the last 14 with 29 minutes and 12 minutes being the two outliers.  yet we see post after post about the 12 minute game which was an absolute blowout.  
For example, Mayo played over 20 minutes against creighton scored 2 points and went 0-6 from the floor.  Was it playing time that caused this?? did he need a 20 minute half to find his groove?  This aint on Buzz or the staff!! todd got his minutes and stunk the place up!!
another one, Todd played 26!! minutes against Butler, went 2-9 from the field, Was this the coaches fault or was Did todd just not play well?  
This black or white Todd needs minutes equals todd is awesome and all the play flawlessly or never play again is complete BS.  Todds minutes have been pretty regular his performance has not.
There have been some reall bullcrap theories on MU's struggles mostly centered around coaching.  Im gonna call bullcrap when i see it

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:18:17 AM by River rat »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2014, 12:24:05 PM »
u can diagree all you want , and i will agree with you that the coaches can affect confidece  and put players in positions to succeed.  yes I agree with that but at the end of the day the player has to play and over come obstacles.  
What I take objection to is statements like "if I dont perform flawlessly immediately i will not get back in" and the other playing time versus performance bunk that has littered the board.  Todds play and points have been wholly inconsistant.  His minutes have not.  In fact they have been remarkable consistant in that he has played approx 25 minutes in every game out of the last 14 with 29 minutes and 12 minutes being the two outliers.  yet we see post after post about the 12 minute game which was an absolute blowout.  
For example, Mayo played over 20 minutes against creighton scored 2 points and went 0-6 from the floor.  Was it playing time that caused this?? did he need a 20 minute half to find his groove?  This aint on Buzz or the staff!! todd got his minutes and stunk the place up!!
another one, Todd played 26!! minutes against Butler, went 2-9 from the field, Was this the coaches fault or was Did todd just not play well?  
This black or white Todd needs minutes equals todd is awesome and all the play flawlessly or never play again is complete BS.  Todds minutes have been pretty regular his performance has not.
There have been some reall bullcrap theories on MU's struggles mostly centered around coaching.  Im gonna call bullcrap when i see it

I'm gonna call bullcrap on a post when I read it....and much like all of your posts....your latest offering certainly qualifies as bullcrap.

Yes..a TALENTED player has to play AND BE GIVEN THE CHANCE TO OVERCOME OBSTACLES - consistently...that's the freaking point  Buzz has always had a short leash with Todd.  The point about Buzz giving him 20 straight against Butler, was that is the first time Todd has ever been given 20 straight - he did nothing of note the first 7:00 minutes of the 2nd half, but then finished brilliantly...

The irony of course is your continued tolerance and defense of Derrick...who gets the longest stretches of PT of any player yet "consistently stinks up the place." (By your definition in that Todd stinking up the place at Creighton on 0-6 shooting and 2 points in 20 minutes was so God awful....yet that is actually a fairly normal stat line for your boy Derrick??) 

Todd has always had to play with the fear of make a couple of mistakes...and chances are I'm going to the bench...due to Buzz's short leash.  It's no way to play the game of basketball, and absolutely limits productivity.  The sad thing is Buzz has given the longest leash to two of our least talented players in Derrick and Jake.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2014, 01:31:38 PM »
Sorry BenCat12 - I'll try to do better next time.  The irony of everything is that many used to complain here about my undying worship of Buzz, and having blue and gold colored glasses on...yet, now when I'm critical of Buzz and a few players...more complaints.  

You were so close to a break through here. So unbelievably close. Don't worry; insight will come and you'll finally have the break through. You are on the brink.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2014, 01:45:09 PM »
Finally had enough.  Ners on Ignore.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2014, 03:02:14 PM »
Finally had enough.  Ners on Ignore.
I would put him on ignore too but I hold out hope that one day he's going to spill the beans on his prolific post-HS basketball career...certainly wouldn't want to miss that. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2014, 04:53:24 PM »
Atl MU Warrior

+1   Made me laugh.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2014, 05:09:45 PM »
I would put him on ignore too but I hold out hope that one day he's going to spill the beans on his prolific post-HS basketball career...certainly wouldn't want to miss that. 

Would be happy to square off in a game of one on one with you ATL...just PM me if you want to..and we can meet in MKE for an MU game...and game of 1 on 1.  And to the loser, a 3 month Scoop break.  Would be a lot of fun regardless of outcome.   :)

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Class71

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2014, 05:26:56 PM »
TAMU

I would agree if Ners was going on about a freshman Dawson somehow finding 'it' if given more playing time.

With a player like Mayo, I agree with him wholeheartedly.  He's an obviously talented player with a confidence issue for one reason or another and as Sultan has stated some of it is his own doing.  Sometimes tough love and the fear of the bench spurs players on to become better and sometimes it makes a kid revert deeper into their shell.  With Mayo I think it's the latter.

Bart Starr had to go to coach Lombardi privately and tell him not to yell at him in front of his team he was supposed to be leading and to Lombardi's credit he listened.  He treated Starr more delicately than he did guys like Taylor and Hornung.  He understood that individual motivating factors are different among different people.

Buzz WILL learn this over time.  He is young himself.  Hopefully he learns this with Mayo before his career is over at MU and not in hindsight.

Good post. Agree with you on Mayo. He needs encouragement from the coach, not pulling him out after 2 minutes. Also Al use to say some players are great in practice but not in games and some only rise to the occasion in the game. So the Buzz concept of only playing good practice players leaves some good ones behind. I would expect Buzz will change over time.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

reinko

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2014, 05:56:31 PM »
Encourage all to unite behind the NEP, the Ners Enabler Pledge.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2014, 06:00:37 PM »
Would be happy to square off in a game of one on one with you ATL...just PM me if you want to..and we can meet in MKE for an MU game...and game of 1 on 1.  And to the loser, a 3 month Scoop break.  Would be a lot of fun regardless of outcome.   :)
I'm sure it would be a lot of fun.  Unfortunately, it is not in the cards for me.  I have "retired" from actually playing basketball due to twice-dislocated left shoulder (torn labrum second time).  Still shoot at our gym from time to time, but the age-old "use it or lose it" dictum applies to jump shot form as well as other things.  

That's ok though.  When I turned 40 a couple of years ago I tried to dunk for the first time since last injury -- roughly 5 years.  It wasn't pretty but it went in!  Pretty sure that was the last time in my life I will ever be able to do that...kind of makes me sad.  Oh well...in a few years hopefully I will be able to live vicariously through my son.  

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
I'm sure it would be a lot of fun.  Unfortunately, it is not in the cards for me.  I have "retired" from actually playing basketball due to twice-dislocated left shoulder (torn labrum second time).  Still shoot at our gym from time to time, but the age-old "use it or lose it" dictum applies to jump shot form as well as other things.  

That's ok though.  When I turned 40 a couple of years ago I tried to dunk for the first time since last injury -- roughly 5 years.  It wasn't pretty but it went in!  Pretty sure that was the last time in my life I will ever be able to do that...kind of makes me sad.  Oh well...in a few years hopefully I will be able to live vicariously through my son.  

Sorry to hear all that ATL...still should let me know if you head to MKE ever for a game...would be happy to meet for a beer...perhaps even demo that I can still dunk just to prove it.   :)

Ironically, I got a reverse shoulder dislocation on my left shoulder 10 years ago.....from Tony Romo....he and I used to square off a lot in basketball at the gym I belonged to from 2003-2006.  Tony's a good basketball player...we'd go at it pretty good...nice guy back in the day...funny story in 2003 - I had some MU hoops shorts on at gym....and he asked me if I went to Marquette - said yes..how do you know Marquette (cause we were in Dallas, TX and not many people know MU), said he grew up outside Milwaukee.  Asked what he did for work in Dallas....he said..."I play football."  Asked for who - thought SMU - because SMU was across street - and he looked young....he replied "The Cowboys."  At this time of course he was just a rookie, undrafted free agent...figured he was a punter or something...asked him what position...said QB.  Needless to say..was fun to know him as he progressed..

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2014, 07:43:09 PM »

Ironically, I got a reverse shoulder dislocation on my left shoulder 10 years ago.....from Tony Romo....he and I used to square off a lot in basketball at the gym I belonged to from 2003-2006.  Tony's a good basketball player...we'd go at it pretty good...nice guy back in the day...funny story in 2003 - I had some MU hoops shorts on at gym....and he asked me if I went to Marquette - said yes..how do you know Marquette (cause we were in Dallas, TX and not many people know MU), said he grew up outside Milwaukee.  Asked what he did for work in Dallas....he said..."I play football."  Asked for who - thought SMU - because SMU was across street - and he looked young....he replied "The Cowboys."  At this time of course he was just a rookie, undrafted free agent...figured he was a punter or something...asked him what position...said QB.  Needless to say..was fun to know him as he progressed..

Tony Romo played at Eastern Illinois for Bob Spoo, brother in law to a good friend of mine. Spoo told him that Romo would be a starting NFL QB one day. We had a good laugh, but he laughed last.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2014, 07:58:10 PM »
Tony Romo played at Eastern Illinois for Bob Spoo, brother in law to a good friend of mine. Spoo told him that Romo would be a starting NFL QB one day. We had a good laugh, but he laughed last.

Bob Spoo who prior to Eastern Illinois coached HS football at Loyola Academy in Wilmette, Illinois, and in 1969 had an undefeated and untied team that was ranked second in the country.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2014, 09:10:01 PM »
Bob Spoo who prior to Eastern Illinois coached HS football at Loyola Academy in Wilmette, Illinois, and in 1969 had an undefeated and untied team that was ranked second in the country.

Jack Spellman was the star or that 69 team and he ended up at Purdue (where Spoo played). I knew Jack from wrestling at Loyola. He was a freshman when I was a senior - he took his lumps that year but went on to be an outstanding. In fact, as good as he was in football he may have been an even better wrestler.

Spoo was an assistant under Bob Naughton in 66 and 67 when we also won the Catholic League and City Championships. I think he took over in 67-68.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 09:11:45 PM »

Did you have the surgery?  I have a torn labrum right shoulder, just doing PT.  Sucks

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2014, 09:22:56 PM »
Jack Spellman was the star or that 69 team and he ended up at Purdue (where Spoo played). I knew Jack from wrestling at Loyola. He was a freshman when I was a senior - he took his lumps that year but went on to be an outstanding. In fact, as good as he was in football he may have been an even better wrestler.

Spoo was an assistant under Bob Naughton in 66 and 67 when we also won the Catholic League and City Championships. I think he took over in 67-68.

Geoff Steger was no slouch, either.  Spellman was a sophomore running back, right?

I was in the same class at New Trier East as Clay Matthews dad, Clay Matthews, Sr.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 09:28:46 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2014, 09:36:46 PM »
Geoff Steger was no slouch, either.  Spellman was a sophomore running back, right?

I was in the same class at New Trier East as Clay Matthews dad, Clay Matthews, Sr.

Jack's freshman year (my senior year) he played freshman ball. The star running back his sophomore year was Randy Marks, who played at Wisconsin. I think he became a starter as a junior and was a full fledged All State running back his senior year. Years later, his son was the star running back at your alma mater, New Trier. Small world, Murs.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2014, 07:19:55 AM »
Did you have the surgery?  I have a torn labrum right shoulder, just doing PT.  Sucks
No surgery.  Just PT. 

I am pretty lucky...for the most part, I have pretty good function from the shoulder.  I can still lift weights, although I can't do some exercises like military press.  I can't do as much weight on things like bench and incline presses as I used to, but I don't know if that's because of the shoulder.  Age, infrequent workouts due to young kids, etc. are just as likely the culprits. 

The one thing I won't do is play basketball again.  I've dislocated it twice, each time playing ball and each time there was zero contact.  Just one of those things I guess.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2014, 10:33:21 PM »
Sorry to hear all that ATL...still should let me know if you head to MKE ever for a game...would be happy to meet for a beer...perhaps even demo that I can still dunk just to prove it.   :)

Dude out kicked his coverage when pickin' a wife, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2014, 10:34:48 PM »

And prior to that both peed and crapped himself durin' nap time in K-4.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2014, 10:36:28 PM »
I onced played golf with Tony Smith.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2014, 08:44:04 AM »
I onced played golf with Tony Smith.

You've played with Spoo many times, yes?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2014, 11:46:55 AM »

Dude out kicked his coverage when pickin' a wife, aina?

Somehow being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys has its perks.  ;D  Tony did some good work in his pre-marriage years in Big D.  Blonde Ambition tour for Tony all the way...and he couldn't have landed in a better place for blondes than Dallas.

Jessica Simpson - In her prime hot years - check.
Carrie Underwood - In her prime hot years - check
Numerous Dallas blondes in their 20s - check
Polished, classy, uber hot, local sports anchor - Candace Crawford - Check (now his wife) 

Well done Tony.