'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz's radio show, 2/5  (Read 16145 times)

tower912

• All American
Buzz's radio show, 2/5
« on: February 06, 2014, 08:27:19 AM »
Jeff Reynolds:    Butler showed a different defense in the first half, doubling the post when the pass arrived.    Sooner than anticipated.    Adjustments were made in the second half, going to different sets. 
-  Buzz came up with the 'weave with ball screens' idea for the second half, leading to lay ups.
 - Jake and Derrick were outstanding on defense. 
 - JaJuan did a nice job of extending the catches (playing defense, forcing him away from the basket) for Woods.    JJJ is 6'3.   
- NBA scouts think there is a Marquette brand.   Tough, versatile, defensively sound.   
- Buzz evaluates toughness, athleticism, character, skill set, in that order.   For prospective recruits.
-Scheme developed at halftime allowed Todd and Deonte to thrive in the second half. 
 -Coaches knew going in to season that with the backcourt departures, it would be difficult to replicate back court production.
-Homer still saying 'Nelligan Sports'.
- Difference in last night's game was the coach's and player's ability to make adjustments.   MU's were better. 
-Substitution pattern:   Buzz substitutes based on what the team needs the next 2 possessions.    There has been dialogue about letting players play longer.   Some need longer to get into the flow.
Buzz:   Butler is very sound in their 1/2 court offense/defense. 
-First half was like the game at Hinkle.    Figuring out how Butler was 'monstering the post' was tough.
-Half time talk...make sure 3 pt shots are the right ones.   Make consecutive stops.   Discussed the second half adjustments.
-Inbounds defense is different.   That causes the long in bounds pass to midcourt.   MU has also changed how MU guards in-bounds plays.   Not to get steals, but to disrupt other teams in-bounds plays.   Zoning inbounds is preventive medicine.
-Todd played all 20 minutes...Jake and Jamil in foul trouble.   
-JJJ did a reallllly good job on #31.    Showed great maturity in how he defended.
-Derrick is as good a perimeter defender as Buzz has ever coached.   Strength, center of gravity, intellect.
-MU changed how they attacked, Butler has a shell at 16 feet.   As soon as the ball goes to the post, hard double team.   Better spacing.
-Chris is an offensive lineman.   What he does doesn't show up in stats.   What he does is open space for others by sealing lanes.
-Deonte:  Can't be stopped by one man.  You can count on him.   Needs to have the same presence on the glass as he does offensively.   DB was gassed in the second half.  When he gets tired, he doesn't 'get in there' to rebound.  Can't play 17 minutes and have 2 rebounds.  A future double/double guy.   
- Buzz doesn't like the amount that he has had to rely on the freshmen.   They are still growing up. 
-NCAA tourney talk:  Gotta go 6-2.   11 conference wins should be enough.   Based on history of BCS basketball conferences, only 1 school with 11 conference wins hasn't made it.   

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Buzz's radio show, 2/5
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 08:30:07 AM »
linky linky please!

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 08:39:09 AM »
If Buzz doesn't like the amount he has had to rely on freshmen this year, next year is going to make his head explode. 

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 08:48:59 AM »
If Buzz doesn't like the amount he has had to rely on freshmen this year, next year is going to make his head explode. 

Why? Assuming everyone returns (which is stupid, I know), the team is nine deep before you even touch the freshmen.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=8
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 08:53:48 AM »
I have made that point before.     Assuming everybody returns,   Mayo, Juan, Steve, Derrick, JJJ, Dawson, Deonte,  with the RS Frosh Duane and the sophomore Luke.    I just see next year's team has needing more contributions from the Frosh.   Also, define your terms.   Will you consider Duane a freshman?    Any way you slice it, assuming status quo, there will be 3 seniors, 1 junior, 4 sophomores (1 new to the program) and 5 freshmen (one a red-shirt).    There is going have to be contributions from the new guys/young guys. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 09:02:45 AM by tower912 »

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 08:59:05 AM »

I think the amount of time Buzz likes the freshmen to play is very much a year-to-year thing.  This year he clearly would have liked his upperclassmen to carry the load, and he is slowly finding that that simply is not going to be the case.  I would imagine next year he doesn't have that upperclassmen foundation he thought he had this year, so his expectations of Freshmen play time will be different.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 09:02:21 AM »
I think the amount of time Buzz likes the freshmen to play is very much a year-to-year thing.  This year he clearly would have liked his upperclassmen to carry the load, and he is slowly finding that that simply is not going to be the case.  I would imagine next year he doesn't have that upperclassmen foundation he thought he had this year, so his expectations of Freshmen play time will be different.
I think the problem a lot of us have is how long it took him to realize this.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 09:25:40 AM »
I think the problem a lot of us have is how long it took him to realize this.

The frosh at this point are much better than they were in December, which is a big reason why they're seeing more minutes (not to mention that JJJ was injured for a period of time or he'd have seen minutes earlier). Freshmen are typically very inconsistent and MU's current upperclassmen have also been inconsistent. The degree of difficulty in coaching a bunch of inconsistent players is off the charts.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 09:42:21 AM »
The frosh at this point are much better than they were in December, which is a big reason why they're seeing more minutes (not to mention that JJJ was injured for a period of time or he'd have seen minutes earlier). Freshmen are typically very inconsistent and MU's current upperclassmen have also been inconsistent. The degree of difficulty in coaching a bunch of inconsistent players is off the charts.

Of course the freshman are so much better now...two whole months in a life of playing basketball for likely 15+ years..and now they've taken such a leap and are completely different players??  Please.

Sure would be nice if your boy Derrick could have been "much better" in just two months.  We are going on 3 years now, and virtually no improvement.

The reason why the freshman are starting to see more minutes...is because the vets have largely been so ineffective..and "led" us to the 12-10 record.  Sadly, the vet who has shown the least improvement, continues to get the most minutes on the team.

Yet Buzz's statement of "don't like to have to rely on the freshman," clearly indicates his personal belief on freshman...is avoid playing them at all costs...

What isn't difficult to do is determine who your most talented guys are on a basketball team....and then run the hell out of them.  Stop trying to turn a piece of coal into a diamond.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 09:49:31 AM »
Of course the freshman are so much better now...two whole months in a life of playing basketball for likely 15+ years..and now they've taken such a leap and are completely different players??  Please.

You clearly have no idea what it takes to go from High School to D1 college ball.

The reason why the freshman are starting to see more minutes...is because the vets have largely been so ineffective..and "led" us to the 12-10 record.  Sadly, the vet who has shown the least improvement, continues to get the most minutes on the team.

Yet Buzz's statement of "don't like to have to rely on the freshman," clearly indicates his personal belief on freshman...is avoid playing them at all costs...

You acknowledge that the vets we should have been able to ride have failed us, and Buzz is also recognizing this fact.  How does this mean he's avoiding playing the freshmen at all costs?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 09:53:11 AM by g0lden3agle »

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 09:53:42 AM »
Really think we have to go 7-1 instead of 6-2, especially with the lack of non conference/ quality wins.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 10:01:27 AM »
Sure would be nice if your boy Derrick could have been "much better" in just two months.  We are going on 3 years now, and virtually no improvement.

LOL...really?  "Virtually no improvement?"  

He has increased his shooting percentage, his A/TO ratio, his rebounding, his +/-...  In fact the only things that he hasn't much improved on is his 3FG% and FT%, both of which are unchanged.

And you know why Derrick ends up being "my guy" on this board?  Not because we think he's great by any means, but because you have to be out-and-out *dishonest* when making assertions like the one you made above.

Most other people (such as CTWarrior) manages to get their points out without the need to exaggerate what supports your argument, and ignore what doesn't.  You really should try to do the same.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 10:01:33 AM »
Of course the freshman are so much better now...two whole months in a life of playing basketball for likely 15+ years..and now they've taken such a leap and are completely different players??  Please.

Sure would be nice if your boy Derrick could have been "much better" in just two months.  We are going on 3 years now, and virtually no improvement.

The reason why the freshman are starting to see more minutes...is because the vets have largely been so ineffective..and "led" us to the 12-10 record.  Sadly, the vet who has shown the least improvement, continues to get the most minutes on the team.

What isn't difficult to do is determine who your most talented guys are on a basketball team....and then run the hell out of them.  Stop trying to turn a piece of coal into a diamond.

Ners,

I'm gonna repost this thread.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=41416.0

Please don't wantonly attack players just to reiterate your mantra. Derrick has improved greatly and if you don't see that, you are just being biased and stubborn. Granted, part of that is because he had a long way to go, but he has worked hard to improve his game.

In the last four games Derrick has accumulated: 26 points, 10 rebounds, 25 assists, and 10 steals. That's good for 6.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 6.25 apg, and 2.5 spg. Besides rebounds, those numbers are all better than what he was putting up before. Ergo, improvement. Not to mention the fact that that stat line is pretty damn good for a PG. I would like a few more ppg but I could live with it.

To say he struggles at shooting or against the press is factual. To say no improvement is false, plain and simple. It also discredits all the work one of our players has put into the team that we all love.

You are a smart guy Ners. You make a lot of good points. Don't spoil it with this crap
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 10:03:08 AM »

He has increased his shooting percentage, his A/TO ratio, his rebounding, his +/-...  In fact the only things that he hasn't much improved on is his 3FG% and FT%, both of which are unchanged.

And you know why Derrick ends up being "my guy" on this board?  Not because we think he's great by any means, but because you have to be out-and-out *dishonest* when making assertions like the one you made above.

Most other people (such as CTWarrior) manages to get their points out without the need to exaggerate what supports your argument, and ignore what doesn't.  You really should try to do the same.

Gah! Beat me by six seconds!
TAMU

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »

Well I sure as heck would hope a guy shows some improvement in numbers when their minutes go from:

One better get more assists and rebounds when their minutes double...and they are playing 75% of all available minutes.

The fact you and the other hardcore Derrick backers....reach...and try to make exaggerations to justify him being on the court...is where you lose 70% of this board!  You simply are grasping at straws.

I'm sure you expected more improvement from Derrick by now...but since it really hasn't happened...you are left with little to stand on. 

I'm sure you'd hoped you'd see his 3PT FG% improve from 8%, and FT% to improve from 46% by now...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 10:18:59 AM »
Well I sure as heck would hope a guy shows some improvement in numbers when their minutes go from:

One better get more assists and rebounds when their minutes double...and they are playing 75% of all available minutes.

The fact you and the other hardcore Derrick backers....reach...and try to make exaggerations to justify him being on the court...is where you lose 70% of this board!  You simply are grasping at straws.

I'm sure you expected more improvement from Derrick by now...but since it really hasn't happened...you are left with little to stand on. 

I'm sure you'd hoped you'd see his 3PT FG% improve from 8%, and FT% to improve from 46% by now...

Dude, you need to chill the unnatural carnal knowledge out.  Like for reals this time.  It's kids shooting a ball into a hoop.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »

The fact you and the other hardcore Derrick backers....reach...and try to make exaggerations to justify him being on the court...is where you lose 70% of this board!  You simply are grasping at straws.

I guess the point sailed over your head...yet again.

I have flat out said that Derrick is "average at best" and said that Dawson should play more.  But I get labelled a "hard-core Derrick backer" because I don't want to turn the starting job over to Dawson.

And you in fact just refuted your own assertion that Derrick has shown virtually no improvement.  He in fact *has* shown improvement in almost every category.  Yeah, I realize that he had a low starting point.  Yeah I realize that this improvement doesn't make him a great PG by any means.

But see how I can make that point without exaggeration and lies?  It's simple really.  

EDIT:  And as reinko said, just stop.  Really.  You have made your point repeatedly.  You've started new threads...changed the topic in others...literally chased good, contributing members out of this forum.  And for what?  You aren't changing anyone's minds with the methods you use.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:21:18 AM by The Sultan of Syncopation »

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 10:19:43 AM »

His per 40 and percentage numbers are almost all improved across the board with the exception on the few stats that you always pound on.  

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 10:35:02 AM »
His per 40 and percentage numbers are almost all improved across the board with the exception on the few stats that you always pound on.  

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black

With the amount of minutes he plays of course his stats are bound to go up. When you start as low as he does it's only logical. I feel he is a good rebounder for a guard and plays solid defense most of the time. Those are his only redeeming qualities. His assist numbers are really not indicative of the PG he is...passing the ball around the perimeter to accumulate those stats is very misleading. Besides lay ups, I can honestly say I have seen him hit 4 shots outside of 6 ft this year. On his best day he is a game manager who plays good defense. On his worst days (much more frequent) he is an offensive liability who struggles to get not only himself, but his teammates going. On most top 100 teams he would be playing 7-10 minutes max. He is a fine representative of Marquette though and I wish him lots of success. I just hope this year is his peak for playing time and next year he turns back into the limited role  player he was destined to be.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 10:38:57 AM »
With the amount of minutes he plays of course his stats are bound to go up. When you start as low as he does it's only logical. I feel he is a good rebounder for a guard and plays solid defense most of the time. Those are his only redeeming qualities. His assist numbers are really not indicative of the PG he is...passing the ball around the perimeter to accumulate those stats is very misleading. Besides lay ups, I can honestly say I have seen him hit 4 shots outside of 6 ft this year. On his best day he is a game manager who plays good defense. On his worst days (much more frequent) he is an offensive liability who struggles to get not only himself, but his teammates going. On most top 100 teams he would be playing 7-10 minutes max. He is a fine representative of Marquette though and I wish him lots of success. I just hope this year is his peak for playing time and next year he turns back into the limited role  player he was destined to be.

Christ...again...that's NOT EVEN THE POINT OF GOLDEN'S POST.  My goodness, it's like a broken record.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 10:43:26 AM »

Christ...again...that's NOT EVEN THE POINT OF GOLDEN'S POST.  My goodness, it's like a broken record.

Thanks Sultan.

I'm not saying I absolutely love Derrick and don't think Dawson should be getting time.  I am saying that to say Derrick has not improved is simply false.  His per 40 and percentage of total numbers, both independent of total playing time, are pretty much better with the exception of the stats that Ners loves to hate on (3 pt %, FT%). 

I'm actually all for a 25/15 20/20 split in minutes for Dawson/Derrick, but I just don't like when simple facts are blatantly being ignored.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
It is a sad commentary.   There is a lot in that radio show.   How Buzz evaluates recruits.   Deonte running out of gas.  How Buzz views his ceiling.  Probably what he talked about more than anything.   MU's NCAA chances from Buzz's perspective.  Adjustments (that some claim Buzz doesn't make) to counter how Butler defended in the first half.    If you listen, you can figure out that Buzz and Homer taped that 20 minute segment somewhere else prior and just played it during the show.    But instead, it goes to the same frickin argument by the same frickin posters sidetracking another frickin thread with their same endless frickin loop.  

Is this some kind of social experiment on your (communal your) part?    How many posts about the same topic saying the same thing does it take before the comment board dies?    Because if it is, you are doing a helluva job.  

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 10:52:06 AM »
It is a sad commentary.   There is a lot in that radio show.   How Buzz evaluates recruits.   Deonte running out of gas.  How Buzz views his ceiling.  Probably what he talked about more than anything.   MU's NCAA chances from Buzz's perspective.  Adjustments (that some claim Buzz doesn't make) to counter how Butler defended in the first half.    If you listen, you can figure out that Buzz and Homer taped that 20 minute segment somewhere else prior and just played it during the show.    But instead, it goes to the same frickin argument by the same frickin posters sidetracking another frickin thread with their same endless frickin loop.  

Is this some kind of social experiment on your (communal your) part?    How many posts about the same topic saying the same thing does it take before the comment board dies?    Because if it is, you are doing a helluva job.  

Sorry,  I'll stop.

Do you think the offensive adjustments are something that will work from here on out? Or only against teams that like to switch screens as often as Butler was?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 10:52:26 AM »

You make a good point. I have been contributing as an enabler, I'm done.

I loved what Reynolds and Buzz said about JJJ. I didn't even notice the defensive handiwork that Johnson was turning in on a guy 6" taller than he is. It makes me excited for next season. JJJ's D is on it's way to being up to Buzz standards.
TAMU

feedback