'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz's radio show, 2/5  (Read 16144 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Buzz's radio show, 2/5
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 10:54:18 AM »
Yeah me too.  From now until the end of the season I will not respond to Ners in any way.  A moratorium you can believe in.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 10:55:35 AM »
I have made that point before.     Assuming everybody returns,   Mayo, Juan, Steve, Derrick, JJJ, Dawson, Deonte,  with the RS Frosh Duane and the sophomore Luke.    I just see next year's team has needing more contributions from the Frosh.   Also, define your terms.   Will you consider Duane a freshman?    Any way you slice it, assuming status quo, there will be 3 seniors, 1 junior, 4 sophomores (1 new to the program) and 5 freshmen (one a red-shirt).    There is going have to be contributions from the new guys/young guys. 

No, I wouldn't consider Duane a freshman, and I wouldn't think of either Luke or Duane as new guys. By the start of the season, both of them will have around a year in the program, especially practice time. What will be refreshing, however, is that Buzz will have to rely on the talented sophomore class.

I honestly don't expect very much of the freshmen at all, mostly because Buzz doesn't play freshmen. Maybe half a roster's spot worth of contribution, which I'd up to 1.5 if someone transfers.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 10:57:47 AM »
Yeah me too.  From now until the end of the season I will not respond to Ners in any way.  A moratorium you can believe in.
Yeah, I just egged him on in a different thread but I am done as well. 

Him and mubuzz should have a great time talking to each other.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 11:00:59 AM »

I guess the point sailed over your head...yet again.

I have flat out said that Derrick is "average at best" and said that Dawson should play more.  But I get labelled a "hard-core Derrick backer" because I don't want to turn the starting job over to Dawson.

Ners knows that, but if he acknowledges it, he losses the ability to constantly bitch and whine about it.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 11:03:24 AM »

LOL...really?  "Virtually no improvement?"  

He has increased his shooting percentage, his A/TO ratio, his rebounding, his +/-...  In fact the only things that he hasn't much improved on is his 3FG% and FT%, both of which are unchanged.

+1 - I was as hard as anyone on Derrick at the start of the season.  He's still not a "good" offensive player, he still can't shoot and doesn't draw enough defensive attention, but I think he has improved a great deal this season.  I think he started this season with his "hold down the fort" back-up PG mentality from the last two years, but has slowly and steadily has become more of an aggressor.  He is looking to penetrate more, he is looking to pass to the interior more and he is pushing the ball in transition more.  He's also becoming more disruptive on defense and not just a solid positional defender.  All good things.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:08:18 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 11:07:21 AM »
With the amount of minutes he plays of course his stats are bound to go up. When you start as low as he does it's only logical. I feel he is a good rebounder for a guard and plays solid defense most of the time. Those are his only redeeming qualities. His assist numbers are really not indicative of the PG he is...passing the ball around the perimeter to accumulate those stats is very misleading. Besides lay ups, I can honestly say I have seen him hit 4 shots outside of 6 ft this year. On his best day he is a game manager who plays good defense. On his worst days (much more frequent) he is an offensive liability who struggles to get not only himself, but his teammates going. On most top 100 teams he would be playing 7-10 minutes max. He is a fine representative of Marquette though and I wish him lots of success. I just hope this year is his peak for playing time and next year he turns back into the limited role  player he was destined to be.

This is my last one..

It really irks me that this point gets touted as the truth in multiple threads. Yes, Derrick gets assists from perimeter passes. However, there have been a few games where posters have broken down the assists credited to Derrick and how the plays developed. More often than not, lately, those assists have come from more than perimeter passes.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 11:11:38 AM »
No, I wouldn't consider Duane a freshman, and I wouldn't think of either Luke or Duane as new guys. By the start of the season, both of them will have around a year in the program, especially practice time. What will be refreshing, however, is that Buzz will have to rely on the talented sophomore class.

I honestly don't expect very much of the freshmen at all, mostly because Buzz doesn't play freshmen. Maybe half a roster's spot worth of contribution, which I'd up to 1.5 if someone transfers.

Luke and Duane will play next year, always like kids who sit out a year.  They know the system next year, know what school is all about, and are ready to contribute.  The frosh next year, I see
Amit Hill playing a big role.  I see Pierce as a back-up at most, 10 minutes a game.  Shayok and Cohen will be lucky to see the court.  But I hope I am wrong, because then MU will have a great deal
of talent.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 11:14:49 AM »
Sorry,  I'll stop.

Do you think the offensive adjustments are something that will work from here on out? Or only against teams that like to switch screens as often as Butler was?

I too will take the Ners non-enabler pledge

It's not new territory but the adjustments on both offense and defense will be game by game and half by half.  It's more than just a hot hand type of thing, its who has the skill set to exploit the deficiency of the other team while minimizing that players deficiency.  

Some teams struggle denying the entry pass which means Gardner will get more minutes and will be a bigger asset, when a team doubles in the post or has strong ball denial, Gardner will be moved done for someone like Burton who has a different tool kit.  There is not a combination of any kind that will be the "one" IMHO.  I think that is part of the angst of the fanbase is the wild difference in approaches it looks like Buzz is just throwing crap at the wall.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 11:16:25 AM »
I think Pierce and Shayok get some extended run early in the year, just by default.    Juan, STjr, and Deonte are it up front until Luke is eligible.   There will be a need for a 7 ft'er and another 6'7 forward.    I also anticipate there will be more 3 guard looks early, with Todd starting and all of the other guards (Duane, Derrick, John, Ahmed, JaJuan) divvying up the remaining 90 minutes.  Fortunately, they all have decent size and Derrick has shown himself to be a good rebounder from the PG position.  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:21:54 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2014, 11:16:30 AM »
Thanks Sultan.

I'm not saying I absolutely love Derrick and don't think Dawson should be getting time.  I am saying that to say Derrick has not improved is simply false.  His per 40 and percentage of total numbers, both independent of total playing time, are pretty much better with the exception of the stats that Ners loves to hate on (3 pt %, FT%). 

I'm actually all for a 25/15 20/20 split in minutes for Dawson/Derrick, but I just don't like when simple facts are blatantly being ignored.

You guys touting this improvement are basically saying:

He's gone from an "F" student to a solid "D-."  The starting point is so freaking low...it would be virtually impossible to not have some improvement..particularly in the way of rebounds and assists with playing time having tripled from freshman year.

Would love to work for one of you guys, as you sure as hell don't expect much.  Wow!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2014, 11:20:01 AM »

Do you think the offensive adjustments are something that will work from here on out? Or only against teams that like to switch screens as often as Butler was?

Every team is different.   Not everybody doubles the post as aggressively as Butler.   There are adjustments in every game.   How well do the players implement them, can MU hit a shot?   It just pleased me to see Buzz draw up something (again) that the other coach wasn't expecting/hadn't really prepped for and then see the team get going offensively.   But, if Gardner, Jamil, and Todd simply play to their ability every game, the need for adjustments will be less.  IMO, the key to the season going forward and the single greatest reason for the current record. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:25:54 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2014, 11:24:27 AM »
 Not everybody doubles the post as aggressively as Butler.   There are adjustments in every game.   How well do the players implement them, can MU hit a shot? 

I don't know if it was the coaches, or a freshman getting it, but Burton had a great read in the second half.

Butler brought the help defender from the middle every time. Deonte caught wide post left, recognized the double coming, spun baseline and got a layup.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 11:24:55 AM »
Every team is different.   Not everybody doubles the post as aggressively as Butler.   There are adjustments in every game.   How well do the players implement them, can MU hit a shot?   It just pleased me to see Buzz draw up something (again) that the other coach wasn't expecting/hadn't really prepped for and then see the team get going offensively.   But, if Gardner, Jamil, and Todd simply play to their ability every game, the need for adjustments will be less. 

Totally agree.  It's far too rare that all three have clicked in the same game.  Wish it was happening more often.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 11:27:44 AM »
Ners,

You've been posting on this topic all season (and getting TONS of minutes doing it), and yet we've no improvement in your posts.  When can we expect to see your posts improve as much as Derrick's game has?  A bare minimum starting point would be to recognize that Derrick has improved significantly.  Others who support Dawson have done so, yet you're so far behind the curve.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 11:28:21 AM »
Totally agree.  It's far too rare that all three have clicked in the same game.  Wish it was happening more often.

We agree.   I altered my post after you quoted it.   If those 3 had brought it every game so far, the record would be better.   They need to bring it the rest of the way.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 11:29:37 AM »
Ners,

You've been posting on this topic all season (and getting TONS of minutes doing it), and yet we've no improvement in your posts.  When can we expect to see your posts improve as much as Derrick's game has?  A bare minimum starting point would be to recognize that Derrick has improved significantly.  Others who support Dawson have done so, yet you're so far behind the curve.

Goooo, take the pledge, you will feel so much better  ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2014, 11:30:53 AM »

Jeff Reynolds:    Butler showed a different defense in the first half, doubling the post when the pass arrived.    Sooner than anticipated.    Adjustments were made in the second half, going to different sets. 
-  Buzz came up with the 'weave with ball screens' idea for the second half, leading to lay ups.
-Scheme developed at halftime allowed Todd and Deonte to thrive in the second half. 
- Difference in last night's game was the coach's and player's ability to make adjustments.   MU's were better. 
-Substitution pattern:   Buzz substitutes based on what the team needs the next 2 possessions.    There has been dialogue about letting players play longer.   Some need longer to get into the flow.
Buzz:   Butler is very sound in their 1/2 court offense/defense. 
-First half was like the game at Hinkle.    Figuring out how Butler was 'monstering the post' was tough.
-Half time talk...make sure 3 pt shots are the right ones.   Make consecutive stops.   Discussed the second half adjustments.
-Inbounds defense is different.   That causes the long in bounds pass to midcourt.   MU has also changed how MU guards in-bounds plays.   Not to get steals, but to disrupt other teams in-bounds plays.   Zoning inbounds is preventive medicine.
-MU changed how they attacked, Butler has a shell at 16 feet.   As soon as the ball goes to the post, hard double team.   Better spacing.

Based on this, if Buzz gets knocked for losing other games he gets credit for winning this one.  I feel pretty good about the 2nd half of the BE season.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2014, 11:33:34 AM »
We agree.   I altered my post after you quoted it.   If those 3 had brought it every game so far, the record would be better.   They need to bring it the rest of the way.

I think Todd, Jamil, and Gardner all step up to their potential, yes it's easier, but I don't think its actually a possibility.  I do think Todd stepping up gives everything the best chance as post entry will be easier.  However, Jamil commits dumb fouls and Gardner is pretty weak on defense....these are not things as seniors that will be "corrected".  So that means Buzz is going to have to strategize for Jamil's limited minutes and find line-ups to minimize Gardner's defensive struggles.

Let's say your right...those three play to their potential....what other two players would you put with them the majority of the time?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2014, 11:34:04 AM »
Goooo, take the pledge, you will feel so much better  ;D

Agreed - I too take the pledge!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2014, 11:38:21 AM »
Thanks guys. Enough of the tired argument.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2014, 11:46:28 AM »

Let's say your right...those three play to their potential....what other two players would you put with them the majority of the time?
Who is hot, who is not, who is MU playing what defense are the opponents in?   Taylor gets more minutes against zone.  If anybody was playing consistently on both ends, I would automatically include them.   Jake and Derrick get the minutes they do because Buzz trusts them to play the scouting report defensively and give maximum effort every minute they are out there.  But, IMO, minutes going forward....
Gardner 25-Otule 15.   No more Oxtule
Jamil 32
Mayo 30
Jake 25
Derrick 32
Deonte 15
JJJ 15
Dawson 8
JJJ/Taylor  Situational/Foul/matchup/zone/randomly getting hot.  

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2014, 11:52:57 AM »
Who is hot, who is not, who is MU playing what defense are the opponents in?   Taylor gets more minutes against zone.  If anybody was playing consistently on both ends, I would automatically include them.   Jake and Derrick get the minutes they do because Buzz trusts them to play the scouting report defensively and give maximum effort every minute they are out there.  But, IMO, minutes going forward....
Gardner 25-Otule 15.   No more Oxtule
Jamil 32
Mayo 30
Jake 25
Derrick 32
Deonte 15
JJJ 15
Dawson 8
JJJ/Taylor  Situational/Foul/matchup/zone/randomly getting hot.  

I would like to see Jake down to 15 and 10 for JJJ(I'd like more than that for JJJ but he's too quiet offensively right now)

I'd like Deonte at 20 with Gardner and Jamil taking a few less minutes.

But the ultimate issue I have, is this is premised on Todd/Jamil/Ox playing up to their potential every game....they have not shown an ability to do that this season.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2014, 11:55:41 AM »
One other thing from the radio show, Buzz did mention Burton was gassed...and he definitely looked gassed against St John as well.  I don't feel like his minutes have jumped that significantly, is it just an effort thing?  I don't think it's anything bad just surprised.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2014, 12:23:05 PM »
Ners,

Sorry Goo..I'm not the one who fabricates crap to try to support Derrick's performance "superlatives."  Here's a breakdown of the "improvement" :

Non-Conference averages - 13 games:
5.15 ppg, 4.46 rpg, 4 apg, 1.46 TO/pg

Conference averages  - 10 games:
5.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 4.2 apg, 1.9 TO/pg

If you want to call that "improvement," so be it...I just don't see it...and this doesn't even call into question shooting percentages...I suspect those would look roughly the same as well between nonconference and conference play. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brandx

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2014, 12:24:48 PM »
+1 - I was as hard as anyone on Derrick at the start of the season.  He's still not a "good" offensive player, he still can't shoot and doesn't draw enough defensive attention, but I think he has improved a great deal this season.  I think he started this season with his "hold down the fort" back-up PG mentality from the last two years, but has slowly and steadily has become more of an aggressor.  He is looking to penetrate more, he is looking to pass to the interior more and he is pushing the ball in transition more.  He's also becoming more disruptive on defense and not just a solid positional defender.  All good things.

+1

I was a big basher as well, but he has played very well the last couple games. Early on, he was not doing anything well, including defense. Now he is doing most things well except for shooting the ball.

feedback