Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ahmed Hill  (Read 18197 times)

ecompt

• All American
Re: Ahmed Hill
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 02:41:41 PM »
h
Hope so, but over who?
Buzz has already locked in this starting line-up for next year:
PG Derrick 35 minutes a game because he is elite
2G Mayo and JJJ for about 35 minutes
SF Anderson
PF Burton/Taylor
C Taylor, then Pierce, then Fischer
And minutes will still have to be found for Du. Wilson, Dawson and some of the other guys. The softest spot in this line up is Anderson. Buzz might have to go to 3 Guards to keep some of these guys happy.

If Derrick and Juan get more than 10 minutes combined over game next year it will be this year all over again. Derrick should be a backup and Juan should be behind a walkon, He has regressed to the point of being unplayable.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 03:01:58 PM »

If Derrick and Juan get more than 10 minutes combined over game next year it will be this year all over again. Derrick should be a backup and Juan should be behind a walkon, He has regressed to the point of being unplayable.

Derrick won't be a back up.  If you think that's going to hamper next year's team, you may as well log off for the next 15 months.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014, 03:27:26 PM »

I agree with you. Quite honestly, JA is a major disappointment. Could be a long year next year because I get the feeling to many people are expecting the incoming class to bail us out, again.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014, 03:27:37 PM »

Derrick won't be a back up.  If you think that's going to hamper next year's team, you may as well log off for the next 15 months.

Yeah he won't be a "back up" but I bet his minutes are greatly reduced next year....or so I am hoping.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »

Agreed. But here's hoping Buzz shows the openness to ride the hot hand as he did in the GT game. Though I still doubt he'll be enough of an offensive threat to help us take a huge step forward, Derrick should be better next season with a year under his belt as a starter and a better all-around SG next to him. 
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 03:50:22 PM »

The only way Derrick Wilson stops being an issue will be when he graduates.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2014, 04:39:02 PM »
UCLA was embarrassed by Oregon State today.  UCLA is unranked.

Maybe someone should call Looney and see if he wants to bail on his LOI.

Sounds stupid?  It is.  As stupid as thinking Hill wants to bail

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2014, 04:44:33 PM »
Haha people here are funny and/or clueless about basketball.  Is Derrick Wilson a First Team All BE PG?  No.  But did anybody expect him to be?  If you did, again, you are clueless.  Derrick is the least of this team's problems (I feel like I am a broken freaking record).  The problem is the rest of the team.  Davante hasn't been as consistent.  Jake is a net negative when he's not shooting (which he rarely is).  Jamil sometimes decides he'll show up for a half, sometimes not.  Todd goes off for about 2 minutes per game and the rest of the time is nowhere to be found.  Juan puts forth a good effort but is extremely limited.  Steve and Duane are/have been injured.  JJJ, Dawson, and Burton all lack basic defensive understanding/fundamentals.  CO is limited offensively.

Derrick is one of the few players who has really played up to my expectations.  Maybe I'm just crazy.  But Derrick has been fine.  The rest of the team...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2014, 04:52:36 PM »
Ahmed brings the scorer mentality a la Jerel, but he needs to bring the McSteal defense to garner playing time.

I'm excited about next year's class except for the -1 that exists on the schollie table.
SS Marquette

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2014, 04:58:53 PM »
Ahmed brings the scorer mentality a la Jerel, but he needs to bring the McSteal defense to garner playing time.

I'm excited about next year's class except for the -1 that exists on the schollie table.

Hopefully you're referring to the freshman and sophomore year McSteal defense.  The more he found his offense in his later seasons at Marquette, the more he forgot about the defensive end of the floor.  I can still picture him standing in no man's land looking at the ball up top while the man he was guarding had cut behind him for a wide open, game winning layup against Nova at MSG in the BE Tournament.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2014, 05:05:11 PM »
Haha people here are funny and/or clueless about basketball.  Is Derrick Wilson a First Team All BE PG?  No.  But did anybody expect him to be?  If you did, again, you are clueless.  Derrick is the least of this team's problems (I feel like I am a broken freaking record).  The problem is the rest of the team.  Davante hasn't been as consistent.  Jake is a net negative when he's not shooting (which he rarely is).  Jamil sometimes decides he'll show up for a half, sometimes not.  Todd goes off for about 2 minutes per game and the rest of the time is nowhere to be found.  Juan puts forth a good effort but is extremely limited.  Steve and Duane are/have been injured.  JJJ, Dawson, and Burton all lack basic defensive understanding/fundamentals.  CO is limited offensively.

Derrick is one of the few players who has really played up to my expectations.  Maybe I'm just crazy.  But Derrick has been fine.  The rest of the team...

Nailed it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2014, 05:06:01 PM »
Hopefully you're referring to the freshman and sophomore year McSteal defense.  The more he found his offense in his later seasons at Marquette, the more he forgot about the defensive end of the floor.  I can still picture him standing in no man's land looking at the ball up top while the man he was guarding had cut behind him for a wide open, game winning layup against Nova at MSG in the BE Tournament.

Nailed it, part II

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2014, 05:09:13 PM »

You are forgetting something...

...Davante isn't consistent BECAUSE OF DERRICK WILSON!!!!

...Jake doesn't shoot BECAUSE OF DERRICK WILSON!!!!

...Juan is limited BECAUSE OF DERRICK WILSON!!!!

...Steve and Duane have been injured BECAUSE OF DERRICK WILSON!!!!

Cmon man.  Just open your eyes!!!!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2014, 05:42:01 PM »

Wades, I know you're a smart guy, but come on. We wouldn't have dozens of Derrick or Dawson threads if Derrick wasn't the problem.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2014, 05:48:06 PM »
FIFY.

Honestly, Marial Shayok might be getting decent minutes next year because of his D. Corey Evans loves his defensive versatility.

Back to the topic at hand: I don't see commitments being as fickle as our fan base. While the message board loves to turn on whatever the topic du jour of whining is that week (or, apparently in a down year EVERYTHING), commits don't freak out about one game. Or for that matter, a season.  He signed an LOI. He knows what buzz and Chew promised him. That's enough consideration.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2014, 07:14:29 PM »

Derrick has played up to my expectations as well. He has been inadequate which is what I expected. Buzz has stated that we are essentially playing 4 on 5 on offense when he is in the game. How is that the least of our problems? Defenses will never play him honestly because he can't make a shot outside of a layup. When your PG is shooting 47 percent from the ft line that isn't a problem? We do have other issues, I will readily admit that. To think Derrick isn't one of our main issues is ridiculous. He does nothing offensively adequately...well actually he's a good rebounding point. His defense has been average to slightly above this year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2014, 07:21:19 PM »
Derrick has played up to my expectations as well. He has been inadequate which is what I expected. Buzz has stated that we are essentially playing 4 on 5 on offense when he is in the game. How is that the least of our problems? Defenses will never play him honestly because he can't make a shot outside of a layup. When your PG is shooting 47 percent from the ft line that isn't a problem? We do have other issues, I will readily admit that. To think Derrick isn't one of our main issues is ridiculous. He does nothing offensively adequately...well actually he's a good rebounding point. His defense has been average to slightly above this year.

Derrick is averaging 5.5 points, 4 assists, and 4 rebounds per game.  Again, 1st Team All BE?  Nope.  But inadequate?  Nope.  If you look at the points players account for on Marquette by combining their average points and giving them 2 points for each assist they average (the minimum amount of points that could create), Derrick is creating 13.5 points/game.  That would be good for 3rd on the Marquette team behind Jamil Wilson and Davante Gardner.  I will say it again, Derrick is not the problem, it's the fact that Derrick is within 5 points/game (when combining points + points from assists) of being the team leader, and sits at 3rd on the team.  That is not Derrick's fault.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2014, 07:29:17 PM »
Agreed.   Inconsistent performances from the purported leaders are as much to blame as Derrick.    But, he is a convenient scapegoat for what is to my eyes more a case of lazy senioritis than anything Derrick has done. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2014, 07:38:50 PM »

You are forgetting something...

...Davante isn't consistent BECAUSE OF DERRICK WILSON!!!!

...Jake doesn't shoot BECAUSE OF DERRICK WILSON!!!!

...Juan is limited BECAUSE OF DERRICK WILSON!!!!

...Steve and Duane have been injured BECAUSE OF DERRICK WILSON!!!!

Cmon man.  Just open your eyes!!!!
and you called my post dumb...

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2014, 07:41:13 PM »
Derrick is averaging 5.5 points, 4 assists, and 4 rebounds per game.  Again, 1st Team All BE?  Nope.  But inadequate?  Nope.  If you look at the points players account for on Marquette by combining their average points and giving them 2 points for each assist they average (the minimum amount of points that could create), Derrick is creating 13.5 points/game.  That would be good for 3rd on the Marquette team behind Jamil Wilson and Davante Gardner.  I will say it again, Derrick is not the problem, it's the fact that Derrick is within 5 points/game (when combining points + points from assists) of being the team leader, and sits at 3rd on the team.  That is not Derrick's fault.

Those stats are fine, but is doesn't account for opposing defenses sagging into the paint because he can't shoot. This bogs down our offense. Sole reason for our teams struggles...most certainly not. A part of our struggles, absolutely. There are numerous issues with this team and to say he isn't one of them I disagree.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2014, 07:44:04 PM »
and you called my post dumb...

i think sultan was being sarcastic.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2014, 08:05:59 PM »
Those stats are fine, but is doesn't account for opposing defenses sagging into the paint because he can't shoot. This bogs down our offense. Sole reason for our teams struggles...most certainly not. A part of our struggles, absolutely. There are numerous issues with this team and to say he isn't one of them I disagree.

I was watching yesterday's game specifically for this.  They didn't sag off of Derrick one bit.  Providence a little, but it didn't really matter. 

The 5 on 4 line is so tired.  Every team has a player on the floor who isn't a high impact scorer.  There have been point guards that aren't high impact scorers.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2014, 08:20:08 PM »

I was watching yesterday's game specifically for this.  They didn't sag off of Derrick one bit.  Providence a little, but it didn't really matter. 

The 5 on 4 line is so tired.  Every team has a player on the floor who isn't a high impact scorer.  There have been point guards that aren't high impact scorers.

You are right, there are. They are usually backups, or possess great court awareness and make easy looks for their teammates. You are also right about the last 2 teams we have played not sagging off of Derrick...I have no idea what they are thinking. The 4 on 5 line is tired? Did Buzz himself not specifically say this? Can Derrick make a jump shot?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2014, 08:22:41 PM »
You are right, there are. They are usually backups, or possess great court awareness and make easy looks for their teammates. You are also right about the last 2 teams we have played not sagging off of Derrick...I have no idea what they are thinking. The 4 on 5 line is tired? Did Buzz himself not specifically say this? Can Derrick make a jump shot?

As I have said, he is average at best.  But IMO he's not as big of a problem as inconsistency from the other guard positions and senior leaders that have sh*t body language and don't always show up.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2014, 08:33:01 PM »

As I have said, he is average at best.  But IMO he's not as big of a problem as inconsistency from the other guard positions and senior leaders that have sh*t body language and don't always show up.

I know that you have said  that you think he is average at best. My point in commenting originally was to disagree that he is the least of our problems. He is a problem in my eyes. Not our only problem obviously, but a problem none the less.