Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ahmed Hill  (Read 18195 times)

brandx

Re: Ahmed Hill
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2014, 08:41:45 PM »

As I have said, he is average at best.  But IMO he's not as big of a problem as inconsistency from the other guard positions and senior leaders that have sh*t body language and don't always show up.

+1. I have gained a lot more respect for Derrick with his play, his effort, and his leadership the last couple games.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2014, 09:16:39 PM »
+1. I have gained a lot more respect for Derrick with his play, his effort, and his leadership the last couple games.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Despite this, I also was thinking that a high-major team with high aspirations needs a significantly better PG.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2014, 10:11:34 PM »

I agree with you. Quite honestly, JA is a major disappointment. Could be a long year next year because I get the feeling to many people are expecting the incoming class to bail us out, again.

I have a guy feeling that this year's class with a year's experience under their belts will more than bail us out.  Luke Fischer just might help a little bit, too.  Steve Taylor, Jr. being healthy from the git go might impact things, as well.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:18:35 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2014, 10:14:34 PM »
Ahmed brings the scorer mentality a la Jerel, but he needs to bring the McSteal defense to garner playing time.

I'm excited about next year's class except for the -1 that exists on the schollie table.

If next year's class excites you, the -1 is good news.  MU is going to lose one of the guys who is disappointing you.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2014, 10:16:47 PM »

You are forgetting something...

...Davante isn't consistent BECAUSE OF DERRICK WILSON!!!!

...Jake doesn't shoot BECAUSE OF DERRICK WILSON!!!!

...Juan is limited BECAUSE OF DERRICK WILSON!!!!

...Steve and Duane have been injured BECAUSE OF DERRICK WILSON!!!!

Cmon man.  Just open your eyes!!!!

And, of course, Buzz has forgotten how to coach because of Derrick....

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2014, 10:50:43 PM »
UCLA was embarrassed by Oregon State today.  UCLA is unranked.

Maybe someone should call Looney and see if he wants to bail on his LOI.

Sounds stupid?  It is.  As stupid as thinking Hill wants to bail

You keep bringing up how stupid it is that Hill would want out of his LOI.  Where does the original poster ever imply that that is what is happening.  He asked if a school that finished #2 for a kid might still be poking around despite the kid being committed to another school.  I thought it was a valid question.

Also if anyone knows whether this does happen or not, is it against the rules or merely something frowned upon.  I would assume that once they sign on the line they are completely off limits.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2014, 11:30:55 PM »
You keep bringing up how stupid it is that Hill would want out of his LOI.  Where does the original poster ever imply that that is what is happening.  He asked if a school that finished #2 for a kid might still be poking around despite the kid being committed to another school.  I thought it was a valid question.

Also if anyone knows whether this does happen or not, is it against the rules or merely something frowned upon.  I would assume that once they sign on the line they are completely off limits.

You don't know Kenosha warrior, he's stirring the pot, not asking a question

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2014, 09:32:38 AM »

I'm sure it happens, but it's definitely a recruiting violation. Verbal commits it's still open season. Once the LOI is signed, they are off limits to contact from other schools.

So no, Missouri is not/should not be poking around. And I doubt Hill would listen for even a second if they were.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2014, 10:06:37 AM »
This post highlights how insecure we are about our program and our place in the basketball world. It's a down year, it happens--I need not remind everyone again. Ahmed Hill committed to an excellent coach in Buzz Williams and a Marquette program that has been to the Tournament every year since 2006 and has enjoyed back to back to back Sweet 16s with an Elite 8 sprinkled on top. Hills knows where he's going and he's grateful to be going there. Let's keep our heads up. We have a lot to be proud of with regard to this program.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2014, 10:12:27 AM »
I'm sure it happens, but it's definitely a recruiting violation. Verbal commits it's still open season. Once the LOI is signed, they are off limits to contact from other schools.

So no, Missouri is not/should not be poking around. And I doubt Hill would listen for even a second if they were.

I would add to this that once the LOI is signed not only are recruits are off limits but so are current players.  No one can call Burton, JJJ, Duane Wilson, Steve Taylor or whoever and ask if they are unhappy and want to transfer.  

If you want to transfer like Luke Fisher first you have to ask out of your commitment, then you can call other coaches.  Even if Fisher's dad called Buzz before he was out, Buzz is not allowed to answer per Fisher's legal commitment to IU.

(Fisher knew via public sources that MU had an open spot and Buzz did recruit him last year so he could reasonably assume Buzz would say yes if they asked once they were let of the commitment.)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2014, 10:15:06 AM »
This is cute and all, but there are always ways to talk to guys.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2014, 10:22:51 AM »
This is cute and all, but there are always ways to talk to guys.

Of course, but that "talk" would never include the head coach directly.  He should be smart enough not to be tied to such talk.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2014, 12:55:32 PM »
I would add to this that once the LOI is signed not only are recruits are off limits but so are current players.  No one can call Burton, JJJ, Duane Wilson, Steve Taylor or whoever and ask if they are unhappy and want to transfer.  

If you want to transfer like Luke Fisher first you have to ask out of your commitment, then you can call other coaches.  Even if Fisher's dad called Buzz before he was out, Buzz is not allowed to answer per Fisher's legal commitment to IU.

(Fisher knew via public sources that MU had an open spot and Buzz did recruit him last year so he could reasonably assume Buzz would say yes if they asked once they were let of the commitment.)

I thought the player could call another school, but the other program could not have any communication with a player at another program unless it was initiated by the player. So I thought Luke could have called MU before receiving his release from IU, but nobody could contact Luke until after Luke was given his release from IU unless Luke initiated it. Not sure though. Jaybee, care to clarify?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2014, 12:28:05 PM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2014, 12:34:35 PM »
Great link. Thanks.

Sounds like Hill values defense and is quite good at it. And he looks like he already has a college-ready body.

My thoughts exactly.  He has an ability to play man-to-man defense...and the body to contribute right away.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2014, 12:37:09 PM »
I can't copy the tweet for whatever reason, but this is what Hill tweeted out last night after Buzz watched his game.

"It was great to see Coach Chew and Coach Buzz...Can't wait for next year to be coached by the greatest coaches in the nation. #WeAreMU...

Sounds like a guy who is looking forward to coming to Milwaukee.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2014, 12:44:51 PM »
Awesome article. The pic with the MU pennant is outstanding. Hill is a perfect fit for MU. When all is said and done I think he'll be the best 2G in blue and gold since Wade.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2014, 12:48:37 PM »
I can't copy the tweet for whatever reason, but this is what Hill tweeted out last night after Buzz watched his game.

"It was great to see Coach Chew and Coach Buzz...Can't wait for next year to be coached by the greatest coaches in the nation. #WeAreMU...

I'm looking forward to Ahmed!
SS Marquette

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2014, 02:01:02 PM »

I guess he must have missed the memo that Buzz is stubborn and suddenly has become the village idiot of coaching.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2014, 02:27:31 PM »
I guess he must have missed the memo that Buzz is stubborn and suddenly has become the village idiot of coaching.

Hill should be safe.  He's not competing for minutes at the PG position.   :o
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2014, 03:14:58 PM »
Awesome article. The pic with the MU pennant is outstanding. Hill is a perfect fit for MU. When all is said and done I think he'll be the best 2G in blue and gold since Wade.

With Jerel, DJO, Buycks, and Vander on that list "best 2G since Wade" is a tall order.  2G has probably been our strongest position over the last ten years.  Can't say I wouldn't love for him to surpass all those guys.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2014, 03:19:46 PM »

i seem to remembrer people saying that about JJJ

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2014, 03:34:38 PM »
Great link. Thanks.

Sounds like Hill values defense and is quite good at it. And he looks like he already has a college-ready body.

I remember people here saying Erik Williams had an NBA body.  Does that mean Hill's not as good?

brandx

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2014, 04:09:55 PM »
i seem to remembrer people saying that about JJJ

JJJ will start and be very productive next year. Double figure scoring and will run the floor.

feedback