[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Northwestern Basketball?  (Read 7848 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Northwestern Basketball?
« on: January 31, 2014, 11:06:48 AM »
Kinda brought this up on another thread but NU has some big wins lately. Collins has done a great job at the helm and Nu has some serious talent coming in next year. Dare I say, whats out for the Wildcats next year. Just in general NU is in great position for a lot of their teams. Football, basketball and of course their womens softball and lacrosse teams are always very good.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Northwestern Basketball?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:09:23 AM »
Seriously, their athletics are perfectly fine and competitive. Especially, considerin' the high selectivity of the university. More schools should put the whole athletic thing in perspective instead of prostitutin' themselves to the all mighty dollar, coaches, and athletes.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:17:26 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:09:28 AM »
Kinda brought this up on another thread but NU has some big wins lately. Collins has done a great job at the helm and Nu has some serious talent coming in next year. Dare I say, whats out for the Wildcats next year. Just in general NU is in great position for a lot of their teams. Football, basketball and of course their womens softball and lacrosse teams are always very good.

... and Women's tennis which I believe has now won the B1G 14 straight years.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »
Seriously, their athletics are perfectly fine and competitive. Especially, considerin' the high selectivity of the university. More schools should put the whole athletic thing in perspective instead of prostitutin' themselves to the all mighty dollar, coaches, and athletes.

No trust me im a big NU football fan and im (generally) pleased with the talent they put on the field. That being said I would still love to see a B1G championship in the next decade as well as a NCAA tourney birth.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 11:43:27 AM »

In the non revenue sports they're often much better than fine. Elite, actually. In football, their recent history has been competitive. Men's basketball is their Achilles heel - they've never even played in the NCAA tournament!  Stanford, Notre Dame and even Harvard are "fine" and "competitive". Hope Chris Collins can do the same for Northwestern.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 01:41:55 AM »
Agree heartily re NU's competitiveness.  I've been a football season ticket holder for 12 years, and attended them regularly for many years before that.  The team was tough in the 90's (won big ten 3 of 10 years, Rosebowl, etc).  Had some distress when coach Walker died, but coach Fitz is building the team again.  I don't get to many NU mbball games anymore as I am now too far away.  The players seem to be energized by Collins and his staff, and I like what they're doing to build the teams visibility.  I met an asst coach last fall before a football game; he introduced himself and invited us to a mbball scrimmage that evening.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 03:01:50 PM »
Like I said the other day, they aren't bad at all.  Just beat Minnesota at Minnesota....a very tough place to play.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 03:26:37 PM »
First time NU would three consecutive road games in the B1G since 1960!!

Chris Collins was a great hire!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 03:28:32 PM »
First time NU would three consecutive road games in the B1G since 1960!!

Chris Collins was a great hire!

So far so good, but let's wait 5 years.  They said the same thing the last 3 coaches they hired.

That being said, losing to Northwestern doesn't seem so "humiliating" any longer.  They have arguably the second or third best player in the Big Ten on their roster...not a bad thing for Collins to walk into.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 03:32:33 PM »
So far so good, but let's wait 5 years.  They said the same thing the last 3 coaches they hired.

That being said, losing to Northwestern doesn't seem so "humiliating" any longer.  They have arguably the second or third best player in the Big Ten on their roster...not a bad thing for Collins to walk into.

5 - 5 in the B1G, 4th place.

The B1G will send 6 teams to the dance.  If NU is 7th, the committee will bend over backwards to make them the seventh team (for their first bid ever).  Remember what happened when Harvard got its first bid ever last year (beat #3 New Mexico).

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 03:44:02 PM »

If Drew Crawford is the second or third best player in the conference then the conference is vastly overrated.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 05:32:44 PM »
If Drew Crawford is the second or third best player in the conference then the conference is vastly overrated.

He's not. Chicos qualified it by saying "arguably".. well, there's really no argument. His shooting is down this year vs. career comps, but he's still very good. Not even close to one of the top players though.

Northwestern's shooting has been miserable this year, but today it was good enough.

Breakdown on the game today [NW 55, MN 54] - four factors by half is HERE.

Northwestern scores 55 points on 54 possessions.. and that's their best offensive efficiency performance since December 16 against Miss. Valley St.

Little bit of luck, but good defense keeping them close in games.. and they'll been pulling 'em out.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 07:35:13 PM »

College basketball in general is vastly overrated.  It's a poor product.  The people are voting in droves with their remote controls, it is not pretty right now.  The product just isn't good across the country.

I think Crawford is a first team Big Ten player.  We'll see how it shakes out.

I'm cheering for a Wichita State vs Creighton national title game.  Small ball, outside shooting, etc.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 10:16:08 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 07:44:17 PM »
5 - 5 in the B1G, 4th place.

The B1G will send 6 teams to the dance.  If NU is 7th, the committee will bend over backwards to make them the seventh team (for their first bid ever).  Remember what happened when Harvard got its first bid ever last year (beat #3 New Mexico).

I said so far so good, they still have a long long long way to go this year.  They've had some incredibly close wins and have been trucked in their losses.  Their projected RPI is over 120 still.  No at large team in the history of the world has gotten in even in the 80's, let alone the 100's.

Their issue is that it took them a little while to get going (new coach, new system, etc) and they have some painful losses as a result.  Illinois State, DePaul, etc.  When they lose, they go big... to Iowa by 26, Wisconsin by 27, 19 to NC State, 13 to Stanford, 11 to Missouri, 16 to UCLA, 14 to Michigan State.

They can be a tough out as they have proved of late, but who will show up in these remaining games?  Today was a big win for them....the had only a 13% chance of winning entering that game and won it.  If they can keep it together, they have a shot but I have a feeling they fold.  Hope I am wrong.  I'm guessing 8-10 in conference and 15-16 going into the BET.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 07:50:14 PM »
I said so far so good, they still have a long long long way to go this year.  They've had some incredibly close wins and have been trucked in their losses.  Their projected RPI is over 120 still.  No at large team in the history of the world has gotten in even in the 80's, let alone the 100's.

Their issue is that it took them a little while to get going (new coach, new system, etc) and they have some painful losses as a result.  Illinois State, DePaul, etc.  When they lose, they go big... to Iowa by 26, Wisconsin by 27, 19 to NC State, 13 to Stanford, 11 to Missouri, 16 to UCLA, 14 to Michigan State.

They can be a tough out as they have proved of late, but who will show up in these remaining games?  Today was a big win for them....the had only a 13% chance of winning entering that game and won it.  If they can keep it together, they have a shot but I have a feeling they fold.  Hope I am wrong.  I'm guessing 8-10 in conference and 15-16 going into the BET.

Projected RPI?  Doesn't that assume they are NU and they lose to everyone, especially on the road.  Did it not assume they were going to lose the last three road games, instead they won them.

What is their "projected RPI" if they finish about .500 in the B1G?  Why not, they are 5 - 5 now.  It isn't 120.  If it is, the B1G is sending three teams to the tourney.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 09:30:50 PM »
Projected RPI?  Doesn't that assume they are NU and they lose to everyone, especially on the road.  Did it not assume they were going to lose the last three road games, instead they won them.

What is their "projected RPI" if they finish about .500 in the B1G?  Why not, they are 5 - 5 now.  It isn't 120.  If it is, the B1G is sending three teams to the tourney.

If they win all the rest of their games but lose one, their projected RPI is 55.

If they lose 2, it drops 67.8

If they lose 3, 79.6.

Granted, it depends on which games they lose, I'm just giving you general numbers.

That's their issue, they have almost no room for error.  They have to play Michigan State and Ohio State on the road, I think they'll lose both of those.  At Nebraska, I think that's a loss.  At Purdue, they will probably win that but no easy task.  They have to play Minnesota, Penn State and IU at home...all three games they can win, two of the three will be tough. 

They have a lot of work to do still.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 09:57:15 PM »
The overall 'Cats program is on the come. Besides there's a new athletic facility that'll go up on the lake. Campus is beautiful, 12 miles from the loop, and a premier, world class university. They got it all goin' on, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 10:28:43 PM »
If they win all the rest of their games but lose one, their projected RPI is 55.

If they lose 2, it drops 67.8

If they lose 3, 79.6.

Granted, it depends on which games they lose, I'm just giving you general numbers.

That's their issue, they have almost no room for error.  They have to play Michigan State and Ohio State on the road, I think they'll lose both of those.  At Nebraska, I think that's a loss.  At Purdue, they will probably win that but no easy task.  They have to play Minnesota, Penn State and IU at home...all three games they can win, two of the three will be tough. 

They have a lot of work to do still.

NU is 5-5 and in fourth place in the B1G.  They have 8 games left. 

If the go 5-3 (lose 3) and finished 10-8 in the B1G, they will probably finish around 4th and have a RPI of 79.6.  How does the committee take more than 4 B1G teams without taking NU?

If the go 6-2 (lose 2) the finish 11-7 and probably third in the B1G with a RPI of 67.8.  How does the committee take more than 3 B1G teams without taking NU?

Sounds like a continued NU run means we are going to see a new record for the worst RPI to make the tourney.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 10:31:36 PM »
The overall 'Cats program is on the come. Besides there's a new athletic facility that'll go up on the lake. Campus is beautiful, 12 miles from the loop, and a premier, world class university. They got it all goin' on, aina?

All of this has been true since the NCAA tourney was invented 77 years ago yet they have never been invited.

Why do they have it going now?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 10:39:36 PM »
NU is 5-5 and in fourth place in the B1G.  They have 8 games left. 

If the go 5-3 (lose 3) and finished 10-8 in the B1G, they will probably finish around 4th and have a RPI of 79.6.  How does the committee take more than 4 B1G teams without taking NU?

If the go 6-2 (lose 2) the finish 11-7 and probably third in the B1G with a RPI of 67.8.  How does the committee take more than 3 B1G teams without taking NU?

Sounds like a continued NU run means we are going to see a new record for the worst RPI to make the tourney.

It's happened before, in fact it has happened many times where a team lower in the conference standings has gone instead of one ahead of them.  This is especially true with a league that has an unbalanced schedule, like the  Big Ten.

I would be stunned if they go 6-2, and quite frankly I don't see them going 5-3 either.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 10:51:30 PM »
It's happened before, in fact it has happened many times where a team lower in the conference standings has gone instead of one ahead of them.  This is especially true with a league that has an unbalanced schedule, like the  Big Ten.

I would be stunned if they go 6-2, and quite frankly I don't see them going 5-3 either.

First I agree that going 5-3 or 6-2 is a tall order.

But if the did and finished 4th or 3rd, how does the committee take 6 to 8 B1G teams and not include them, regardless of what the RPI says?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 05:44:13 AM »
All of this has been true since the NCAA tourney was invented 77 years ago yet they have never been invited.

Why do they have it going now?

The new intercollegiate athletic facility hasn't been built yet, but will be. Chris Collins is an improvement, it appears, over Carmody, Kevin, and Bill Foster. This world class university is a sleepin' giant for big time NCAA athletics.
What was Duke before Coach K? There football program sucked ass just 4 years ago. Went to a bowl last season.
Georgetown was a basketball joke back in the day before Papa Thompson. Doesn't take much to turn programs around.
Remember, past performance is not an indication of future performance.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 08:21:07 AM »

The new intercollegiate athletic facility hasn't been built yet, but will be. Chris Collins is an improvement, it appears, over Carmody, Kevin, and Bill Foster. This world class university is a sleepin' giant for big time NCAA athletics.
What was Duke before Coach K? There football program sucked ass just 4 years ago. Went to a bowl last season.
Georgetown was a basketball joke back in the day before Papa Thompson. Doesn't take much to turn programs around.
Remember, past performance is not an indication of future performance.

If Northwestern loosens their admissions requirements for athletes like Duke and Georgetown have, that'll probably remove the biggest obstacle to their basketball success.  My understanding when Johnny Dawkins interviewed there before Carmody was hired, is that he brought the academic profiles of three Duke super starts with him, and Northwestern said that none could be enrolled.  That is why Dawkins didn't go.  Perhaps that's changed?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 09:33:43 AM »

If Northwestern loosens their admissions requirements for athletes like Duke and Georgetown have, that'll probably remove the biggest obstacle to their basketball success.  My understanding when Johnny Dawkins interviewed there before Carmody was hired, is that he brought the academic profiles of three Duke super starts with him, and Northwestern said that none could be enrolled.  That is why Dawkins didn't go.  Perhaps that's changed?

I've heard that story too.  Dawkins showed nu Christisn Lettner and Bobby Hurleys high transcripts and the admissions department told Dawkins players like this could not be recruited. That's why Dawkins is not in Evanston and no matter how cool the new athletic building is, NU will continue to beNU until this changes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »
With their win yesterday, their projected RPI improved from 129 to 113.

They have a long long long way to go.