Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So shocking  (Read 13069 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: So shocking
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 01:28:22 PM »
Hope Derrick's Dad doesn't read this forum.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »
I wish I could see the kid play more so I could make up my mind on him. Difficult to judge his overall package of skills with the minutes he gets.

teamdee

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »
JD is smoov with it.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 01:30:31 PM »
At the very least this should show that players/parents do read these forums. Think before you post something that tears down an 18 year old

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 01:32:53 PM »
JD is smoov with it.

TFK been busting Balls recently?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 01:32:58 PM »
I am one of the vocal supporters of Derrick continuing to start because I trust Buzz in his judgment that he gives us the best chance to win now.  

Still, I am thrilled that John is at MU, would never consider him a waste, and am excited to watch him develop these next 3+ seasons.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 01:34:59 PM »
At the very least this should show that players/parents do read these forums. Think before you post something that tears down an 18 year old

Maigh Eo for Sam

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 01:41:47 PM »
threads like this are like watching train wrecks in slow motion...

Mr. Dawson, I hope you understand that the vast majority of people on this board have the basketball knowledge of a preschooler.  many of them are about your sons age and have the intelligence and perspective and responsibility of a teenager.  Additonally, many of them are drinking or are drunk when they come on these boards to vent.

People say things behind the anonimity of a computer that they would not say to a persons face, this doesnt make them any less stupid, just exponentially bolder.  In fact the same people that have called Buzz Williams every thing good in the book are now calling him every thing bad in the book.  

Unfortunately, it comes with the territory and the state of todays internet fandom.   For better or worse, it is the case with all programs.  Go to the Kentucky or Indiana fan boards after a loss and it isnt hundreds of idiots it is thousands and tens of thousands.  

Buzz does not read or look at print or social media during the season and I know he instructs the people in the program to do the same.  i would follow his advise.  Personally I stay away from these boards for usually 2-3 days after a loss and even then take everything with a huge grain of salt.  i usually come on for program information, recruiting etc, and never the opinions of the uninformed and uneducated.  
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:43:45 PM by River rat »

Class71

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »
Mr. Dawson, your son will be a good point guard at Marquette. He has the talent. Buzz works them hard on defense to build character, get to the next level and to win games. He brinGs them along slowly. I think Buzz, this blog and anyone that has seen him play expects him to one of the leaders of this team in the future  Some, like me, think he should get more minutes now but Buzz gets paid a lot more than me to make that decision. He has been successful with that approach. It will come, just a matter of time. Your son is clearly one of the keys to the future of this team.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 01:46:32 PM »
threads like this are like watching train wrecks in slow motion...

Mr. Dawson, I hope you understand that the vast majority of people on this board have the basketball knowledge of a preschooler.  many of them are about your sons age and have the intelligence and perspective and responsibility of a teenager.  Additonally, many of them are drinking or are drunk when they come on these boards to vent.

People say things behind the anonimity of a computer that they would not say to a persons face, this doesnt make them any less stupid, just exponentially bolder.  In fact the same people that have called Buzz Williams every thing good in the book are now calling him every thing bad in the book.  

Unfortunately, it comes with the territory and the state of todays internet fandom.   For better or worse, it is the case with all programs.  Go to the Kentucky or Indiana fan boards after a loss and it isnt hundreds of idiots it is thousands and tens of thousands.  

Buzz does not read or look at print or social media during the season and I know he instructs the people in the program to do the same.  i would follow his advise.  Personally I stay away from these boards for usually 2-3 days after a loss and even then take everything with a huge grain of salt.  i usually come on for program information, recruiting etc, and never the opinions of the uninformed and uneducated.  

You nailed it... except for the first paragraph.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 01:47:58 PM »
PREACH!

Thanks for posting.  Please keep John hungry and humble...his time will come and some of us know he'll be a very good player once given a good chance.

I've said it before - Buzz's loyalty is a double edge sword - he won't sell a vet out easily, at all as proven this year...so assuming John develops well at MU, and if for some reason one of the future PG recruits comes in as a star....

You can rest assured John will be able to shoot 8% from 3, 35% from 2 and 48% from 2 in 30 minutes of action and score 5.1ppg, and still have a LOCK on the starting job!!   :o

Ners, come on. I haven't memorized every post on the subject, but I'm pretty sure no one has said Dawson won't be or isn't good. The goalposts keep moving.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 01:50:14 PM »
The Indiana board is startin' to get it right. Rippin' Crean a new one for bein' Clappy the Clown.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 01:51:02 PM »
Hope Derrick's Dad doesn't read this forum.

we all know that Buzz does read this forum.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 01:52:16 PM »
Rev. Dawson (and this is John's dad BTW):

I really have liked what I have seen out of your son and am really glad that he likes the challenge..  I hope you had the chance to hear what Buzz said about him during the coaches show last week because it was very positive.  And you are right, people really do need to be mindful about what they say because it is a public forum.

Best of luck for the rest of this year and beyond.
Practice what you preach Sultan.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 01:53:55 PM »
I will only believe that when Buzz does a shout out to "all the Slurpers"

we all know that Buzz does read this forum.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 02:02:40 PM »
I will only believe that when Buzz does a shout out to "all the Slurpers"

Sorry you missed the slight humor in what I posted, Madtown.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 02:15:28 PM »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 03:04:59 PM »
Mods -- Can we ban family and relatives of current players from reading & posting Scoop?  Maybe an IP block or something?  Honestly, it's for their own good.

Seriously, an anonymous internet fan board is no place for anyone who is or has a personal connection with a player.... unless they have skin so thick that it would make a chubby chaser horny.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 03:10:05 PM »
that was my attempt at humor :0

Sorry you missed the slight humor in what I posted, Madtown.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 03:53:55 PM »
I admit I was one of the people that was not excited with a three star player, but I am excited to have him now.  That is all that matters. 

I've never understood star ratings. Websites rate players based on what...watching them a couple of times per year...? What about how the player fits into the system in which he commits to? Isn't that more important? Michigan, Miami and Syracuse play zone defenses. Is a 5 star pg that is 6' tall better than a 4 star pg that is 6-4? Obviously not. Of course, we all could poke holes in the recruiting rankings...every fan of every program could. If the recruiting experts were so good at what they do, why have none of them ever been hired by college programs or NBA front offices? Afterall, hs seniors are only one year removed from the NBA if they are good enough...

jsheim

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2014, 04:06:23 PM »
I love the fact he's at MU playing and getting that education ..... Thanks for the warning, but I always consider the source when I hear or read what people say.  Don't get me wrong he's not labeled a superstar by me being his parent and coach for years .... But the YOUNG DAWSON can play and looks pretty good

Mr. Dawson...I'm a dad with a son at MU who I'm very proud of too (plays in the band, not on the court :) ). Its great to hear you brag on him...he deserves it.

My son and I saw some of the MU players in a summer league game to see "what we were getting". I saw John sitting against the wall between games and engaged in a little small talk. He's a real nice kid. I told him I hope his years at Marquette are a real success on-and-off the court and I would say a little prayer for him.

God is answering that prayer.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 04:10:31 PM »
Mods -- Can we ban family and relatives of current players from reading & posting Scoop?  Maybe an IP block or something?  Honestly, it's for their own good.

Seriously, an anonymous internet fan board is no place for anyone who is or has a personal connection with a player.... unless they have skin so thick that it would make a chubby chaser horny.

Never heard that one before, totally stealing that

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2014, 04:53:07 PM »
You must be a good father because by all accounts he is a great kid.   Humble, hardworking, a good teammate.   I believe he is going to be very good.  He had a very nice game against Georgetown.    The most negative thing I have said about him is that I haven't seen enough from him to convince me he should be starting this year.   I HAVE seen enough that he will be starting and performing well at some point in the future.   Thanks for sending such a great kid to Marquette. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2014, 05:12:43 PM »
JD is a baller. Glad he's here and part of the MU family. This year has been rough, no doubt for the players. But we are still excited by what is yet to come. And you're right, he's getting that education.

And glad to have you on Scoop!

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 05:36:51 PM »
Mods -- Can we ban family and relatives of current players from reading & posting Scoop?  Maybe an IP block or something?  Honestly, it's for their own good.

Agree 100%. No disrespect, but I can't believe everyone seems to be apologizing for expressing their opinions. We have no influence on team decisions. If Buzz listens to us, I wish he would let us know. Now, if we started disrespecting Derrick or John in a game setting by booing or heckling them, apologies would be in order. Call them what you want as long as you cheer and support them at games and on campus.  
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:01:27 PM by Sunbelt15 »

feedback