Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Radio Show Recap from Tonight  (Read 15672 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Buzz Radio Show Recap from Tonight
« on: January 29, 2014, 07:13:52 PM »
Derrick is an elite defender

John turned ball over twice against Butler in 4 minutes - that's two empty possessions and game was tied at end of regulation..can't afford to give possessions away...and went on to say everybody says Derrick can't shoot and he went 6-13 in that game...but of course Buzz failed to mention Derrick's 5 turnovers for the game.

Difference between Butler OT, Nova OT, and Georgetown OT was that we were able to get stops in the G'Town game...no mention of Dawson being clutch...and ironically, the GTown OT was largely played all by Dawson and not the elite defender Derrick.

Said Ryan A ran circles around us...single handidly won that game for Nova through his own offensive production and how he orchestrated the team.

Said Mayo has ice water in his veins, has scorers mentality, yet still would like to see a little more defensive consistency from Todd....and that Jake gives 100% at all times on both ends of the court..which is what's being rewarded.  Said they both have been inconsistent..Jake 4-6 G'Town, yet 0-2 against Nova, and 1-8 against Butler.  (Funny Dawson played in the GTown game)  Said same for Todd - wasn't good against Butler, nor Georgetown most of the game..but hit clutch shot, and then played great against Nova.  Still didn't answer question of would Todd or Dawson be more consistent if they got consistent minutes - much the way Jake and Derrick have been given?

Thinks team still has a run left in it.  Guys still taking right attitude.  Steve Taylor good against zones, and that he was better against Nova than he'd been in a long time prior to GTown game.

Said he'll continue to try to figure it out, that Dawson has been getting more PT of late. 

It is quite evident from listening that Buzz seems hell bent on proving he can win with Derrick running the point - seems to highlight all of Derrick's positives - and speaks to none of his negatives...yet had no problem mentioning John's 2 turnovers against Butler.  Did say again, however, that Dawson was very good against Gtown...but can he play that way all the time?  And that he has a hard time letting the young guys play through their mistakes...as it could be difference between winning and losing.

Buzz needs to bite the bullet....and just roll with Dawson and Mayo for 30 and see what happens.  It won't get worse...hard to actually get much worse when you have just 1 win over a Top 50 team.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Buzz Radio Show Recap from Tonight
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 07:16:55 PM »
Derrick is an elite defender

John turned ball over twice against Butler in 4 minutes - that's two empty possessions and game was tied at end of regulation..can't afford to give possessions away...and went on to say everybody says Derrick can't shoot and he went 6-13 in that game...but of course Buzz failed to mention Derrick's 5 turnovers for the game.

Difference between Butler OT, Nova OT, and Georgetown OT was that we were able to get stops in the G'Town game...no mention of Dawson being clutch...and ironically, the GTown OT was largely played all by Dawson and not the elite defender Derrick.

Said Ryan A ran circles around us...single handidly won that game for Nova through his own offensive production and how he orchestrated the team.

Said Mayo has ice water in his veins, has scorers mentality, yet still would like to see a little more defensive consistency from Todd....and that Jake gives 100% at all times on both ends of the court..which is what's being rewarded.  Said they both have been inconsistent..Jake 4-6 G'Town, yet 0-2 against Nova, and 1-8 against Butler.  (Funny Dawson played in the GTown game)  Said same for Todd - wasn't good against Butler, nor Georgetown most of the game..but hit clutch shot, and then played great against Nova.  Still didn't answer question of would Todd or Dawson be more consistent if they got consistent minutes - much the way Jake and Derrick have been given?

Thinks team still has a run left in it.  Guys still taking right attitude.  Steve Taylor good against zones, and that he was better against Nova than he'd been in a long time prior to GTown game.

Said he'll continue to try to figure it out, that Dawson has been getting more PT of late. 

It is quite evident from listening that Buzz seems hell bent on proving he can win with Derrick running the point - seems to highlight all of Derrick's positives - and speaks to none of his negatives...yet had no problem mentioning John's 2 turnovers against Butler.  Did say again, however, that Dawson was very good against Gtown...but can he play that way all the time?  And that he has a hard time letting the young guys play through their mistakes...as it could be difference between winning and losing.

Buzz needs to bite the bullet....and just roll with Dawson and Mayo for 30 and see what happens.  It won't get worse...hard to actually get much worse when you have just 1 win over a Top 50 team.

More pure BS from Buzzspeak. Derrick "an Elite defender"? Well Scoopers, have you heard the latest from the slurp king? What a joke.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 07:17:29 PM »
Start praying.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 07:30:42 PM »
As much as he wants to prove he can win with Derrick playing big minutes, he's doing the same with Chris. Davante needs more minutes and Chris needs less. But, we all know that won't happen.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 07:31:30 PM »
Link?

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 07:33:25 PM »
Start praying.

Hope we can get at least get Lottery Pick out of this laughable Season.....

Heres the link....

http://espnmilwaukee.com/common/page.php?pt=av_marquettebball&id=431
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:38:39 PM by Nevada233 »

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 07:34:43 PM »
I don't know why anyone bothers, but the whole we know better than Buzz crowd -- you have lost your freaking minds.  It is an absolute joke reading the constant undermining of all of Buzz's explanations for why players play and why players don't play.

I mean really, dead set on proving he can win with Derrick?  Like he's trying to increase the degree of difficulty to prove how awesome he is?

Take a step back for a minute and really think about it, maybe you will realize how ridiculous that sounds.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 07:37:48 PM »
Yes, Derrick Thomas was an elite defender....as was Derrick Brooks.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 07:40:10 PM »
He also said "..But Archie wore Derrick out". But he is Buzz's elite defender. What a laughable pile of horse hockey.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 07:42:05 PM »
if this is an accurate portrayal of what Buzz actually said - very disappointing, shows the bias / stubbornness to Wilson.

Really will be difficult to watch the rest of the year...

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 07:45:42 PM »
if this is an accurate portrayal of what Buzz actually said - very disappointing, shows the bias / stubbornness to Wilson.

Really will be difficult to watch the rest of the year...
That is what he said. "For me Derrick is an elite defender..but Archie wore him out" Reality radio at its best. Surreal from da coach.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 07:46:37 PM »
As much as he wants to prove he can win with Derrick playing big minutes, he's doing the same with Chris. Davante needs more minutes and Chris needs less. But, we all know that won't happen.
How many more minutes do want Davante to play. He will drop dead.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 07:47:53 PM »
That is what he said. "For me Derrick is an elite defender..but Archie wore him out" Reality radio at its best. Surreal from da coach.

If he's an Elite Defender Dylan Flood is a Lottery Pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.....

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 07:48:34 PM »
Some scoopers will drop dead at Buzz's latest hallucination on Derrick.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 07:53:33 PM »
It is what it is.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 07:53:43 PM »
Some other things...

It's very clear that he feels that his team has a lot of inconsistent players, and that he tries to get everyone in the game to see if they are going to be good that particular day, but when push comes to shove he's going to go with his best defensive players.

Also said that he feels he has a good pulse on his team and where they sit emotionally, and considers this one of the strengths of his staff.

He says that MU is scoring enough to win.  The problem is on the defensive end of the court.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 07:54:27 PM »

Not going to argue the elite statement, but it was clear that Archie did wear out Derrick.  He simply played too many minutes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 07:56:02 PM »
I don't know why anyone bothers, but the whole we know better than Buzz crowd -- you have lost your freaking minds.  It is an absolute joke reading the constant undermining of all of Buzz's explanations for why players play and why players don't play.

It really has gotten ridiculous. 

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 08:08:35 PM »

Maybe the 2 minutes where Buzz switches out Chris 21 times for defense.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 08:09:44 PM »
listened to the podcast:

"Elite on the ball defender" is the exact quote - really Buzz?

Buzz can seemingly justify all his lineup choices...

too bad his record is 11 - 9...  maybe something is not right Buzz?

"say he does a great job managing the ebbs and flows and the pulse of all the players / program"  

hmm, what about all the program turnover?

think we lose tomorrow night as "they have won 5 in a row"

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 08:14:16 PM »
listened to the podcast:

"Elite on the ball defender" is the exact quote - really Buzz?

Buzz can seemingly justify all his lineup choices...

too bad his record is 11 - 9...  maybe something is not right Buzz?

"say he does a great job managing the ebbs and flows and the pulse of all the players / program"  

hmm, what about all the program turnover?

think we lose tomorrow night as "they have won 5 in a row"

That's right, his record is 11-9 this year.  Just ignore all the success he's had prior to this year.  Last year he was smart, now he's dumb.

This type of logic makes me embarrassed as an MU fan/alum.  If you got your degree from Marquette, you are devaluing my degree with every post.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 08:18:09 PM »
For those criticizing Buzz for praising Derek and limiting his praise on Dawson. Do you think maybe Buzz realizes that there is enough criticism of Derek, so what would piling on really do for the team? Buzz feels that Derrick gives him the best chance to win, so he's gonna continue to roll with him. Derek's confidence is low enough without the coach highlighting his shortcomings on the radio. You praise your players who are struggling to help boost their confidence

What do you want? For Buzz to publicly slam Derrick? How will that help exactly?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 08:19:09 PM »
That's right, his record is 11-9 this year.  Just ignore all the success he's had prior to this year.  Last year he was smart, now he's dumb.

This type of logic makes me embarrassed as an MU fan/alum.  If you got your degree from Marquette, you are devaluing my degree with every post.

Really amazing.

It's like madtown, Ners, Nevada, mubuzz, willie, etc. have become a cult with their self-reinforcing posts.

Seriously in a post about Buzz's radio show, Ners mentions John Dawson *nine* times.  I doubt Buzz mentioned him half that.  The obsession is incredible.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 08:24:38 PM »
So at 11 - 9, this year is going well?   Picked to win the conference and shooting for .500 now?

Did you take logic at Marquette?

So Buzz is great and it's on the players?   Who recruited those players?
'
Buzz slurpers - Buzz has to either take some blame for the record due to coaching and/or recruiting?

That's right, his record is 11-9 this year.  Just ignore all the success he's had prior to this year.  Last year he was smart, now he's dumb.

This type of logic makes me embarrassed as an MU fan/alum.  If you got your degree from Marquette, you are devaluing my degree with every post.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 08:25:58 PM »

Really amazing.

It's like madtown, Ners, Nevada, mubuzz, willie, etc. have become a cult with their self-reinforcing posts.

Seriously in a post about Buzz's radio show, Ners mentions John Dawson *nine* times.  I doubt Buzz mentioned him half that.  The obsession is incredible.

You act like i personally create topics... all I do is chime in with the Truth.... At this point it doesnt matter to me who starts or plays... But I know who they not gonna win with... 11-9 shows that... and 11-10 after tomorrow will prove to you even more.... Like I cant believe you guys think Derrick and Jake are a good back court or even worthy of being starters.... They wouldn't start at any other Division 1 school and would be hard pressed to start at a Division 2 school...  

None of them even have a chance to even sniff the D league... At least the Frosh can be developed... but Sultan I digress your probably Buzz Williams anyway... so I apologize coach for questioning your decisions...

Go Marquette N.I.T Bound!!!!