Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Radio Show Recap from Tonight  (Read 15671 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Buzz Radio Show Recap from Tonight
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 08:30:15 PM »
You act like i personally create topics... all I do is chime in with the Truth....

See?  A cult.  Treats opinion like fact and even capitalizes it.

Pass out the kool aid. 

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 08:32:50 PM »
So at 11 - 9, this year is going well?   Picked to win the conference and shooting for .500 now?

Did you take logic at Marquette?

So Buzz is great and it's on the players?   Who recruited those players?
'
Buzz slurpers - Buzz has to either take some blame for the record due to coaching and/or recruiting?

Nobody said the season is going well.  But Buzz is still great.  The former proposition does not preclude the latter.  How's that for logic?

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 08:34:04 PM »

Pass out the kool aid. 

If anyone ever said your not a good guy.. Their a Liar.. I honestly like going back and forth with you....

you never back down... lol.. keep it consistent Sultan!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 08:35:57 PM »

Really amazing.

It's like madtown, Ners, Nevada, mubuzz, willie, etc. have become a cult with their self-reinforcing posts.

Seriously in a post about Buzz's radio show, Ners mentions John Dawson *nine* times.  I doubt Buzz mentioned him half that.  The obsession is incredible.

I still wouldn't trade Buzz for any other coach in the country - still love the guy.  As I've said, it doesn't mean you can't disagree with a coach you admire and think highly of in general.  Nor does the fact Buzz has gotten great results in the past, mean that every coaching decision he makes is right.  

The logic is simply this:  We are 11-9.  The team hasn't shown improvement under Derrick's direction and Jake getting max minutes at the 2G.  Derrick has had ample opportunity to show he can get results.  They aren't happening.  Buzz has given John Dawson exactly 1 game of 30 minutes out of 20, and in that game he produced quite well, and showed a lot of skills you simply aren't going to see from Derrick - namely making 3 point shots, and then shot faking off a 3, to dribble into a pull up mid range 2.  Also a nice jump stop/hop, half hook floater.  Plus we won the game.

There is no substitute for getting long stretches of playing time in basketball.  If you know your coach is going to give you 30 minutes night in, night out...and ride with you through some mistakes AND YOU HAVE TALENT - you will produce...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 08:42:08 PM »
It's like madtown, Ners, Nevada, mubuzz, willie, etc. have become a cult with their self-reinforcing posts.

Maybe some see the light that Buzz is falliable for recruiting errors / transfer issues, maybe potential bad lineup decisions.

It's not that we don't like Buzz, but we don't slurp that he is infallible cause he had success the past years,...

It's possible Buzz is underachieving this year...

Really amazing.

Seriously in a post about Buzz's radio show, Ners mentions John Dawson *nine* times.  I doubt Buzz mentioned him half that.  The obsession is incredible.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 08:43:21 PM »
You guys do realize that somebody can be a great defender and still have a bad game defending right?

I have seen Ray Allen have some horrible shooting games.....does that mean if his coach calls him a great shooter after the game he is "laughable"?

Dominic James was the best point guard defender I have seen at MU....he had games were the other guy torched him....it happens.

But hey we get it...Derrick Wilson can't shoot so he shouldn't play. Buzz shouldn't defend him because if he would only admit that  Derrick stinks somehow he will get better and/or Dawson will be more ready to take over.....

This team is short in the backcourt.......the upperclassman aren't very good and the freshmen are inconsistent, take bad shots and struggle on defense....

chapman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 08:44:28 PM »
think we lose tomorrow night as "they have won 5 in a row"

Four of the five have been at home.  The fifth took two overtimes at St. John's, when they were playing some of their worst ball.  With the elite defender/Buzz's man crush completely shutting down Cotton we should roll.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 09:05:29 PM »
Four of the five have been at home.  The fifth took two overtimes at St. John's, when they were playing some of their worst ball.  With the elite defender/Buzz's man crush completely shutting down Cotton we should roll.

Cotton will go for 25-30. Lol

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 09:15:42 PM »
You act like i personally create topics... all I do is chime in with the Truth.... At this point it doesnt matter to me who starts or plays... But I know who they not gonna win with... 11-9 shows that... and 11-10 after tomorrow will prove to you even more.... Like I cant believe you guys think Derrick and Jake are a good back court or even worthy of being starters.... They wouldn't start at any other Division 1 school and would be hard pressed to start at a Division 2 school...  

None of them even have a chance to even sniff the D league... At least the Frosh can be developed... but Sultan I digress your probably Buzz Williams anyway... so I apologize coach for questioning your decisions...

Go Marquette N.I.T Bound!!!!
Nice post! I want you on my team.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:17:35 PM by bradley center bat »

brandx

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 09:19:39 PM »
Derrick is an elite defender

Said Ryan A ran circles around us...single handidly won that game for Nova through his own offensive production and how he orchestrated the team.

So wouldn't it make sense to put Derrick on Ryan A? He is an elite defender after all and Ryan A is the opposing PG.

Or to just get Derrick out of the game?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 09:38:08 PM »

Maybe some see the light that Buzz is falliable for recruiting errors / transfer issues, maybe potential bad lineup decisions.

It's not that we don't like Buzz, but we don't slurp that he is infallible cause he had success the past years,...

It's possible Buzz is underachieving this year...

Please quote any one that is saying this team is performing at an acceptable level or that Buzz is without fault.  Not a great year for Buzz, or the team...some through their own fault some through bad luck and misfortune.  However the crowd going after Buzz, yourself included seemingly won't be satisfied until all of MU is burned down to the ground.  It's a bad year, we get, why revel in it?  The team will be better next year and this year their is room for improvement which hopefully we'll see some of.  I'm willing to bet over the next 3 games you see some moderate changes.

I just don't get the crowd that just goes bonkers over how bad this team is and dumb Buzz is.  What's the point really?  Is it therapy for you guys?  how many threads have been started by Ners and others about Dawson vs Derrick, is it really necessary?  I get it's a message board but I don't get what all the vitriol is about.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 09:42:48 PM »
Please quote any one that is saying this team is performing at an acceptable level or that Buzz is without fault.  Not a great year for Buzz, or the team...some through their own fault some through bad luck and misfortune.  However the crowd going after Buzz, yourself included seemingly won't be satisfied until all of MU is burned down to the ground.  It's a bad year, we get, why revel in it?  The team will be better next year and this year their is room for improvement which hopefully we'll see some of.  I'm willing to bet over the next 3 games you see some moderate changes.

I just don't get the crowd that just goes bonkers over how bad this team is and dumb Buzz is.  What's the point really?  Is it therapy for you guys?  how many threads have been started by Ners and others about Dawson vs Derrick, is it really necessary?  I get it's a message board but I don't get what all the vitriol is about.

As I reflect...I'm pulling a Buzz and am driving myself insane.  I keep making the same argument over and over and over again, and expect different results from the dissenting minority on the topic.

Much like Buzz continues to trot out the same backcourt for 27+ minutes per game, and thinking things are going to change.  How's that definition of insanity go:  Keep doing the same thing over and over again yet expecting different results?

I'd say Buzz has to be at the point of the gif Reinko shared earlier as well - the odd thing is he has the power to make the change, and the one game a radical change was made - we got arguably our best win of the year - on the road at G'Town.  Why not try it some more??!!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2014, 09:57:55 PM »
Why not try it some more??!!

Because he doesn't think it'll work. He sees these guys in practice every day and doesn't believe that's the answer. He might be wrong. That doesn't make your relentless, demeaning opinions right. They're just guesses based on a single data point.

So please: you continue to quote the definition of insanity and that you're driving yourself crazy. Stop. Stop posting if that's what it takes. But honest to god enough already.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2014, 10:07:18 PM »
I still wouldn't trade Buzz for any other coach in the country - still love the guy.  

Thank God he's not your second favorite coach. This place would be post apocalyptic.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 10:13:48 PM »
As much as he wants to prove he can win with Derrick playing big minutes, he's doing the same with Chris. Davante needs more minutes and Chris needs less. But, we all know that won't happen.

Davante's minutes last six games:

39, 40, 42, 34, 37, 35.

As it is, he's tired at the end of every game. And you want him to play more? Did you ever think that he was so effective his first three seasons in great part because he didn't have to play so many minutes?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 10:26:29 PM »
So...............how are our Lady Golden Eagles doing? Cause this Derrick crap is getting old. From Sultan to Ners to TAMU to Willie to who knows, but we definitely need something else to talk about. I'm on the Dawson side, but how much can you say? I've moved on to focusing on the more positive Steve Taylor comeback. Hopefully I can stay there.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 10:31:54 PM »
Because he doesn't think it'll work. He sees these guys in practice every day and doesn't believe that's the answer. He might be wrong. That doesn't make your relentless, demeaning opinions right. They're just guesses based on a single data point.

So please: you continue to quote the definition of insanity and that you're driving yourself crazy. Stop. Stop posting if that's what it takes. But honest to god enough already.

Fair enough.  But I would modify your statement to say it isn't a guess based on a single data point - I've liked what I've seen from Dawson in 5 games he's gotten 10+ minutes.  I haven't seen anything from Derrick in the 17 games he's gotten 27+ minutes that leads me to believe he's the better candidate to run the team at PG...and I'll leave it at that.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 11:16:56 PM »
Nice post! I want you on my team.

Touche' im on your team!

We should go to Miluwakee to see the Senior Day Game against St Johns.

We can all meet up, First round on me to quait the pain of this dissapointing season and hopeful N.I.T. Birth.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 12:00:10 AM »
I still wouldn't trade Buzz for any other coach in the country - still love the guy.  As I've said, it doesn't mean you can't disagree with a coach you admire and think highly of in general.  Nor does the fact Buzz has gotten great results in the past, mean that every coaching decision he makes is right.  

The logic is simply this:  We are 11-9.  The team hasn't shown improvement under Derrick's direction and Jake getting max minutes at the 2G.  Derrick has had ample opportunity to show he can get results.  They aren't happening.  Buzz has given John Dawson exactly 1 game of 30 minutes out of 20, and in that game he produced quite well, and showed a lot of skills you simply aren't going to see from Derrick - namely making 3 point shots, and then shot faking off a 3, to dribble into a pull up mid range 2.  Also a nice jump stop/hop, half hook floater.  Plus we won the game.

There is no substitute for getting long stretches of playing time in basketball.  If you know your coach is going to give you 30 minutes night in, night out...and ride with you through some mistakes AND YOU HAVE TALENT - you will produce...

Ners, I've actually enjoyed going back and forth with you on this topic. I think you're right on a number of things. However, I really feel like you're shouting into the wind with your opinion. We'd all like MU to win, through whichever players/strategy gets us to win. But, regardless of what we all want or think, Buzz is going to run his team how he wants to run his team. I haven't agreed with multiple things Buzz has done throughout his tenure. I can understand your passion and frustration with this topic. Let's hope things turn around one way or another.

Edit: On the plus side, I'm glad we're all conversing over here and not biting on PhillyCoach's troll post.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 03:10:36 AM »

+1. This is best post in the thread.  I have no idea why Ners, willie, Dread, madtown, Hayward etc still bother with the constant b1tching over and over about the same points.  We get it.  My only guess is that having everyone read their regurgitated negative talk somehow is therapeutic for them.  There is no reason to make the same point 10-15 times in a thread, not to mention injecting it in EVERY thread.  Ignore button or not, it's really making Scoop hard to read.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2014, 04:53:49 AM »
+1. This is best post in the thread.  I have no idea why Ners, willie, Dread, madtown, Hayward etc still bother with the constant b1tching over and over about the same points.  We get it.  My only guess is that having everyone read their regurgitated negative talk somehow is therapeutic for them.  There is no reason to make the same point 10-15 times in a thread, not to mention injecting it in EVERY thread.  Ignore button or not, it's really making Scoop hard to read.

TOTALLY AGREE. Let it effin go.  You've made your point. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 07:08:42 AM »

It really has gotten ridiculous. 
Diversion from the warts being revealed!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2014, 07:24:13 AM »

Pass out the kool aid. 
You pass it out--you drink it all the time. What is ridiculous is that the apologists keep apologizing. Give it a rest and maybe some of the others will quit pointing out the ridiculous and insanity currnently being pronounced.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2014, 07:59:05 AM »
+1. This is best post in the thread.  I have no idea why Ners, willie, Dread, madtown, Hayward etc still bother with the constant b1tching over and over about the same points.  We get it.  My only guess is that having everyone read their regurgitated negative talk somehow is therapeutic for them.  There is no reason to make the same point 10-15 times in a thread, not to mention injecting it in EVERY thread.  Ignore button or not, it's really making Scoop hard to read.

It has become virtually unreadable. I would estimate I spend about 20% of the time i used to here. There is really little/no reason to come here any more. It has pretty much become the most boring/tedious place on the internets.

Of course now it seems to be morphing into a DJ Newbill rehash, so at least that's fresh and interesting.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:02:06 AM by NavinRJohnson »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 07:59:44 AM »
As I reflect...I'm pulling a Buzz and am driving myself insane.  I keep making the same argument over and over and over again, and expect different results from the dissenting minority on the topic.

Ners, here is where I think the disconnect is.  The VAST majority of the board, I'd darn say the entire board doesn't think Derrick is the answer.  I think 99.9% (I don't like absolutes) of the board would like to see some sort of modification of the PG and SG minutes.  However, you seem to think there is some cabal on the board that loves Derrick and sees no evil.

What I think the majority of the board of the board disagrees with you on is the presentment that if Dawson gets 30+ minutes everything will be good.  Or the concept that we have to play somebody 30 minutes a game to know if they are any good.  Or just the way the arguments are crafted ("you can't use a small sample size"...."the one time he played 30+ min we won, see it works").

Lastly, for me anyway, is the way your crowd presents it, forces everyone else to be defensive and admittedly childishly lash out(that's on us).  I don't know what to call the Willie crowd, but it's presented as Buzz is either an idiot(because he doesn't know Dawson is better) or he is a stubborn, bad coach(because he refuses to play Dawson).  If you disagree with either of those assessments you are a kool-aid drinker.

The answer can simple be this is a very average team with limited room for growth no matter who you roll out there.  Some of it has been coaching decisions and some of it has been bad luck or poor choices by college kids.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."