[Today at 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dawson's Defense and Playing Time  (Read 11151 times)

GOO

• All American
Dawson's Defense and Playing Time
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:16:31 AM »
Unless Dawson's defense improves, he has to really bring it on the offensive end to make up for his defensive short coming.  Watch the first 3 or 4 Nova possessions when Dawson came into the game in the first half. His on ball defense at the point of attack is atrocious, resulting in drives to the lane and rotations and defensive break-downs by MU.

So, he needs to either be a prolific scorer, or, a better defender. Right now he is neither.  I'd love to see him get more time, but he had better become a better one ball defender.   

Norm

• All American
Re: Dawson's Defense and Playing Time
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:46:23 AM »
Unless Dawson's defense improves, he has to really bring it on the offensive end to make up for his defensive short coming.  Watch the first 3 or 4 Nova possessions when Dawson came into the game in the first half. His on ball defense at the point of attack is atrocious, resulting in drives to the lane and rotations and defensive break-downs by MU.

So, he needs to either be a prolific scorer, or, a better defender. Right now he is neither.  I'd love to see him get more time, but he had better become a better one ball defender.   
Just for comparison, did you watch all of Derrick Wilson's defensive possessions? How do you feel he did against Villanova on the defensive side of the ball?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 10:57:22 AM »
Just for comparison, did you watch all of Derrick Wilson's defensive possessions? How do you feel he did against Villanova on the defensive side of the ball?

The important comparison, and really the only one that matters, is that Buzz clearly believes Derrick is the better defender. And that the offense was being successful enough to not need Dawson's added contributions.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 11:03:29 AM »
Unless Dawson's defense improves, he has to really bring it on the offensive end to make up for his defensive short coming.  Watch the first 3 or 4 Nova possessions when Dawson came into the game in the first half. His on ball defense at the point of attack is atrocious, resulting in drives to the lane and rotations and defensive break-downs by MU.

So, he needs to either be a prolific scorer, or, a better defender. Right now he is neither.  I'd love to see him get more time, but he had better become a better one ball defender.  

Neither is Derrick Wilson.... Thames, Carson, Neal, Archiedacono, Dunham (when it counted) and a list of others looked like All World players against him...

Is John Dawson Derrick Rose today... No! But ya'll sit up here and pump up a guy plays +30 minutes a night, who just brings the ball up court pounds it in one spot, creates nothing for anyone even himself and cant make a 1,2 or 3 pointer with any consistency...

So with that were 11 and 9..... oh well
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:12:52 AM by Nevada233 »

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 11:12:51 AM »
Agree De Wilson isn't the defender he was his freshman year.  Dawson shows the quickness to steal the ball and run with it.  We need that type of defense which Dawson and Mayo can do.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 11:15:36 AM »
Agree De Wilson isn't the defender he was his freshman year.  Dawson shows the quickness to steal the ball and run with it.  We need that type of defense which Dawson and Mayo can do.

Right this man has been with the program 3 YEARS...

Dawson 3 MONTHS....

There should be no question as to who the leader should be, who should rally the troops and control the tempo of the offense and set the tone on defense...... Be that guy who makes things happen... All of that I do not see in Wilson and I cant tell you one game this year that counted besides Grambling or Southern that his impact got us the win.... When announcers have said on record "Hes no threat to score" "A non shooter" "Teams back away from him".. You have a problem..

So if people are calling for Dawson... Its nobodies fault but the man who's supposed to be the man....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:19:12 AM by Nevada233 »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 11:23:23 AM »
Neither is Derrick Wilson.... Thames, Carson, Neal, Archiedacono, Dunham (when it counted) and a list of others looked like All World players against him...

Is John Dawson Derrick Rose today... No! But ya'll sit up here and pump up a guy plays +30 minutes a night, who just brings the ball up court pounds it in one spot, creates nothing for anyone even himself and cant make a 1,2 or 3 pointer with any consistency...

So with that were 11 and 9..... oh well

Go back and watch the tape from Saturday, with one or two possible exceptions Archiedacono did his damage when Wilson was NOT guarding him.  Maybe a small sample size, but relevant.  Also note that Steve Taylor was the help side defender in every single instance.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 11:36:09 AM »
Go back and watch the tape from Saturday, with one or two possible exceptions Archiedacono did his damage when Wilson was NOT guarding him.  Maybe a small sample size, but relevant.  Also note that Steve Taylor was the help side defender in every single instance.

I only listened to the game, so no visual to go on, but Derrick played 36 minutes. Are you saying the majority of his minutes played came with guarding the 2 in Nova's sets?

starting5

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 11:51:18 AM »
Why wasn't Wilson on Archiedacono?  Hilliard and Bell were scoring at will as well, so who was he guarding.  His defense is not nearly as good cause he can no longer muscle the PG.  He was an automatic hand check foul when he entered the game the past 2 years.

The difference I see in the team defense this year is less Otule in the middle.  Without him guys are confident they can get to the rim with nobody to stop them.  Gardner is by far our worst defender. It is not even close but he is our best scorer. 
By the way whe have we ever stopped Nova's dribble penetration? 

GOO

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 12:34:31 PM »
DWill's defense was better. I'd say a lot better.  I want to see more Dawson and I am not defending or pumping up DWill.  His lack of offensive production is totally unacceptable.  I am simply pointing out that Dawson's defense was really bad.  Dawson needs to get better on the ball.

I firmly believe that a team needs a point guard who can score and shoot it.  Going into this year, I thought it would be a big issue along with the 2 guard.  I would read post after post about how Mayo would step up and "just needs a lot of playing time and a lot of shots" and how DWill didn't need to score, etc.  My expectations were fairly low as neither showed me much in the past, so I didn't expect much this year.

That said, people who think Dawson should be getting 20+ minutes, have to look at his defense.  If his defense is bad, he better be really good on the offensive end.  Otherwise, may as well have DWill play.

San Diego Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 12:36:10 PM »
Wilson was constantly behind his man chasing him down.   He got beat of the dribble so many times in the nova game.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 12:48:11 PM »
Wilson was constantly behind his man chasing him down.   He got beat of the dribble so many times in the nova game.
So did everybody else. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 12:56:20 PM »
Buzz thinks Derrick is a better defender than Dawson. Buzz favors defense first. Ergo Buzz is going to play Derrick in a defensive-needed situation.

So, while Buzz's thinking may be wrong, at the current time, regardless of anyone's opinion (outside of Buzz), Derrick will play.

All the rest of this is yelling at the wind.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 01:21:05 PM »
I only listened to the game, so no visual to go on, but Derrick played 36 minutes. Are you saying the majority of his minutes played came with guarding the 2 in Nova's sets?

Wilson played on Arch for the majority of the game until the last 5 minutes and OT.  He switched over to Bell after that.  Whether it was because Bell was hot or Wilson was tired, I have no idea, but Arch got his run when Wilson wasn't guarding him with the exception of one of two possessions.

So of the issue with the drive and dish that worked so well was that the help defender(STj 99% of the time) committed to neither stopping the ball or staying with his man....resulting in the worst of all worlds.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 01:33:25 PM »
The important comparison, and really the only one that matters, is that Buzz clearly believes Derrick is the better defender. And that the offense was being successful enough to not need Dawson's added contributions.

And on the flip side, whether Buzz believe it or not what we are currently doing is NOT working. We are 11-9 there is absolutely nothing to lose with playing Dawson extended minutes.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 01:38:54 PM »
And on the flip side, whether Buzz believe it or not what we are currently doing is NOT working. We are 11-9 there is absolutely nothing to lose with playing Dawson extended minutes.

Nothing at all....

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 01:44:41 PM »

I'm not saying you're wrong. In fact, I've been in favor of Dawson playing more lately. But, based on actions and words, Buzz doesn't agree with you right now. Buzz believes he's playing the guys that give us the best chance to win. Go email him.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 02:13:19 PM »

What there is to lose is more basketball games. This team's margin for error is very, very thin. So far this season, they've been on the wrong side of things more often than not, which is rare for Buzz's MU teams. However, the opportunities have been there. The last 3 games have all gone to OT. They all could have gone either way. MU could be 3-0 or 0-3 in those games. The SHU and Xavier games were both one-possession games with under 70 seconds to play. The ASU game came down to the final possession. SDSU, Wisconsin and New Mexico were all close games late. Even the DePaul game was a 3-point game with a little over 4 to play. Yes, MU lost pretty much all of these games but they also easily could have lost to DePaul, SHU or Gtown if Buzz went with the asinine "it can't get worse" philosophy. The current rotation is putting Marquette in position to win games, including games against 3 teams currently ranked in the top 15. Throwing a bunch of frosh out there and hoping for the best isn't the answer.

If Burton and Dawson had played a bulk of the minutes on Saturday, MU would have gotten run out of the gym. With Derrick and Jake getting those minutes, MU was on the verge of an upset. Admittedly, in the end, the result was the same, but wouldn't you rather have players on the floor who give the team the best chance to win?

Look, I'm not opposed to the young players seeing more time but I'm also not dense enough to believe that throwing them out there for 30 minutes a night is what's best for this team.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 02:18:53 PM »
This is garbage. Our offense could have been so much better with Dawson on the floor. We were down by 11 with around 4 minutes to play and had to depend on collection of off-balance floaters that rimmed around, a chuck-up by Mayo on the baseline, and Mayo draining three free throws to tie the game...AND that only happened because Nova picked the wrong time to brick a bunch of free throws. I was at the game, and I can tell you with certaintly that we would have been in a much better position to win with Dawson running the point.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 02:21:37 PM »
This is garbage. Our offense could have been so much better with Dawson on the floor. We were down by 11 with around 4 minutes to play and had to depend on collection of off-balance floaters that rimmed around, a chuck-up by Mayo on the baseline, and Mayo draining three free throws to tie the game...AND that only happened because Nova picked the wrong time to brick a bunch of free throws. I was at the game, and I can tell you with certaintly that we would have been in a much better position to win with Dawson running the point.

I was going to disagree but once I saw that you were at the game, all of what you said was validated.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 02:35:13 PM »
and don't forget a gift of a call to deny Villanova the winning basket...    funny how the slurpers see how Derrick Wilson and Jake Thomas led Marquette to enough offense to potentially upset Villanova.    The realistic folks see the near miracle pulled off by Mayo with help from the refs and Villanova to tie the game.   

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 02:35:47 PM »

I am 90% sure Marquette was shooting better from the field than Nova with about 4 minutes to play.  Could we have shot even better?  Sure.  But we lost this game with porous defense.  Gave up too many threes and offensive rebounds.  Not singling anyone out.  Nearly everyone was bad.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »
and don't forget a gift of a call to deny Villanova the winning basket...    funny how the slurpers see how Derrick Wilson and Jake Thomas led Marquette to enough offense to potentially upset Villanova.    The realistic folks see the near miracle pulled off by Mayo with help from the refs and Villanova to tie the game.  

Marquette needed a "near miracle" from Mayo to take Georgetown into OT but I don't recall any of the "All Dawson, All the time" contingent mentioning that. Does that win not count?

77 points should be enough to win. In fact, if MU had scored 77 points in every game this season, they would have been 17-2 heading into the Nova game.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 02:42:16 PM »
I was going to disagree but once I saw that you were at the game, all of what you said was validated.

You must have felt strongly about disagreeing considering you found one phrase in there to pick on that was unrelated to any contention you must have.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 02:43:52 PM »
I think people acknowledge the near miracle needed at GT.    They also acknowledge that a Dawson lead team won handily in OT.    How did that Wilson lead OT go at Butler or against Vill?

Marquette needed a "near miracle" from Mayo to take Georgetown into OT but I don't recall any of the "All Dawson, All the time" contingent mentioning that. Does that win not count?

77 points should be enough to win. In fact, if MU had scored 77 points in every game this season, they would have been 17-2 heading into the Nova game.