Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I see an 8 game winning streak for MU....  (Read 9150 times)

denverMU

• All American
I see an 8 game winning streak for MU....
« on: January 26, 2014, 02:11:04 PM »
If and only if John Dawson, Todd Mayo, and Steve Taylor Jr. play at least 20 minutes a game.

tower912

• All American
Re: I see an 8 game winning streak for MU....
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 02:12:34 PM »
I agree with the last two, and think we will going forward.   Of course, Steve has to make some of those layups he works so hard to get.....    and maybe play some defense. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsheim

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 02:59:59 PM »
Mayo agree. Stj close. But maybe not 20 if deonte shows up.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 03:07:10 PM »
If and only if John Dawson, Todd Mayo, and Steve Taylor Jr. play at least 20 minutes a game.

+100

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 03:20:29 PM »
I think more accurate statement is

Jake Thomas, Derrick Wilson, Chris Otule and Juan Anderson playing for no more than 30 minutes....combined.

Btw, I think Derrick and Jake should get about 15 minutes each. Sums up what I think about the other 2.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 03:24:51 PM »

RPI basically says something very similar, problem is it won't move us much.

In the next 8 games, we are favored in the RPI to win 5, two pick 'ems, a clear dog in another (Creighton).

7-1 is possible, so is 8-0.  We just don't move much as a result. 

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 03:27:16 PM »
Try 6-3 or 5-4. Theres nothing this team does that suggest 8-0 or 7-1 is even Possible.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 09:30:04 PM »
I don't see us getting by Prov, much less 8 straight but we can put our head in the sand and believe all is ok with this team.

I don't know of a conference in the country where this team could rattle off 8 straight.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 09:39:56 PM »
More likely to see COMarquette worship at the altar of Digger before this happens.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 07:44:14 AM »
8 game winning streak? Pass the mushrooms please-or the Colorado bought maryjane.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 08:35:52 AM »
I think they could win a bunch in a row, and it won't be because of magical line-up changes.

MU has been REALLY close to beating some good teams, but for whatever reason, they can't seem to close.

The schedule gets a softer for the rest of the year, so some of those close losses should turn into wins.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 08:56:44 AM »
I think they could win a bunch in a row, and it won't be because of magical line-up changes.

This season has a staleness to it. The same lineups, same issues, same style of loss. Give up open threes, let their top scorer go off. Fall behind, fight back, lose by 5-10 points. Not once on Saturday did I feel that MU would win. Frankly, it's become a chore to watch this team.

Something needs to change the tone, and who knows if shaking up the lineup is it. Even if it doesn't work, it'd be nice to see them at least try something new.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 09:03:38 AM »
This season has a staleness to it. The same lineups, same issues, same style of loss. Fall behind, fight back, lose by 5-10 points. Not once on Saturday did I feel that MU would win. Frankly, it's become a chore to watch this team.

Something needs to change the tone, and who knows if shaking up the lineup is it. Even if it doesn't work, it'd be nice to see them at least try something new.

Nope.

The competition will just get a little easier, and they should be able to win some games.

I LOVE Steve Taylor, but the odds that Taylor and Dawson are somehow magical solutions is grasping at straws, IMO.

Everybody LOVED Burton 5 games ago and thought he was "the answer". After the AZ game, people loved JJJ. He's not the answer either.

This team can get better, but people shouldn't look for some sort of magically plug and play solution. This isn't fantasy football.

They will win some games because they have some winnable games. Not because Dawson/Taylor/Mayo are magical and Buzz has kept them as his secret weapon.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 09:07:15 AM »
Where in my post did I say there was a magical answer? I even acknowledged the fact that it might not work. Read before you quote.

All I'm saying is as a fan, I'd like to see a different look just to see what happens. Because this is painful to watch.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 09:27:50 AM »
So, Sofia Vergara isn't gonna magically appear naked on your doorstep one day, hey?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:41:44 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 09:30:57 AM »
Try 6-3 or 5-4. Theres nothing this team does that suggest 8-0 or 7-1 is even Possible.

I guarantee that Marquette will not go 6-3 or 5-4 over their next 8 games.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 09:33:11 AM »
Does your guarantee make it a fact?

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 09:35:23 AM »
The next 8 games are winnable.  At least 6 of them are also very losable.  In our last four games against a pretty representative sample of the conference, 3 have gone into OT and we got a 1 point win.  Not a track record that suggests that we are about to go on a big run.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 09:40:37 AM »
Nope.

The competition will just get a little easier, and they should be able to win some games.

I LOVE Steve Taylor, but the odds that Taylor and Dawson are somehow magical solutions is grasping at straws, IMO.

Everybody LOVED Burton 5 games ago and thought he was "the answer". After the AZ game, people loved JJJ. He's not the answer either.

This team can get better, but people shouldn't look for some sort of magically plug and play solution. This isn't fantasy football.

They will win some games because they have some winnable games. Not because Dawson/Taylor/Mayo are magical and Buzz has kept them as his secret weapon.

Someone needs to create a Big East Bball fantasy league.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 09:42:06 AM »

Okay...since we've failed to reach a bet previously and it now looks like Buzz is going to continue to ride Derrick 30+ minutes - I'll bet that if Derrick averages 27+ minutes per game from in the next 9 games, we will not go 7-2, which is what you essentially have posted above.  To the loser goes a 3 month ban from Scoop.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 09:44:34 AM »

Nice lingo - plug and play.  Actually, basketball is absolutely a plug and play game.  You plug in Dawson, Mayo and Taylor - and play them instead of Derrick, Jake, Juan/Otule - and you have a much different team.

I kind of thought Dawson looked "magical" in OT at G'Town, and thought Todd pulled a rabbit out of his hat and also was pretty, "magical" down the stretch against Villanova.  Why did Jake Thomas not score our last 10 of regulation??  Or why did he not score in the previous 30 minutes of the game?  (Yet, I don't hate Jake being on the floor nearly as much as Derrick - because Jake actually has a + high major talent - shooting the 3 which does help space the floor.)  I've yet to see a game where Derrick simply takes over and outright gets us a win.  So, yeah, pardon me if I feel basketball is a plug and play game and we'd get some different results if we made the obvious lineup changes necessary.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 09:44:54 AM »
Okay...since we've failed to reach a bet previously and it now looks like Buzz is going to continue to ride Derrick 30+ minutes - I'll bet that if Derrick averages 27+ minutes per game from in the next 9 games, we will not go 7-2, which is what you essentially have posted above.  To the loser goes a 3 month ban from Scoop.

Just an FYI.. and I think this is what Merritt was getting at... it is impossible 6-3 or 5-4 or even 7-2 when you only play 8 games... the math doesn't work.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:48:17 AM by jesmu84 »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 09:48:46 AM »
Just an FYI.. and I think this is what Merritt was getting at... you can't go 6-3 or 5-4 or even 7-2 when you play 8 games... the math doesn't work.

Thanks, jesmu84. At least someone hasn't let MU's tough season ruin his basic math skills.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »
I'm feeling 7-1
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 11:39:40 AM »
So, Sophia Vergara isn't gonna magically appear naked on your doorstep one day, hey?
Who is Sophia Vergara? Oh, I lead such a sheltered life. We need pictures, please.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.