Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I see an 8 game winning streak for MU....  (Read 9148 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: I see an 8 game winning streak for MU....
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 11:41:31 AM »
Who is Sophia Vergara? Oh, I lead such a sheltered life. We need pictures, please.

Ever heard of Google image search?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 11:42:44 AM »
Who is Sophia Vergara? Oh, I lead such a sheltered life. We need pictures, please.
[/quote

Sorry Bro, It's Sofia. Distracted while checkin' out her pic.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 12:08:57 PM »
What kind and how much Juice have been consuming.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 12:31:25 PM »
Where in my post did I say there was a magical answer? I even acknowledged the fact that it might not work. Read before you quote.

All I'm saying is as a fan, I'd like to see a different look just to see what happens. Because this is painful to watch.

I think we're just missing something in translation.

My Opinion:

- MU can/will win more often in the next 8-10 games. (lets say 8-2)

- Some people will extrapolate that it's because of (insert player). "SEE! Buzz finally figured it out!!! He needs to play (X)"

MY POINT:
MU's opponents and softer schedule will have more to do with the wins than any sort of line-up change. I certainly think Taylor/Dawson/Mayo could help with increased minutes... but I also think that a softer schedule will really help a team that has been so close to a handful of wins against good teams.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 12:55:17 PM »
Ever heard of Google image search?

Thank you, I had already done it. She raises a huge question in life: Sofia Vergara or Kate Upton? Now there is a question for the ages. Sort of like Derrick Wilson or John Dawson.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2014, 01:31:49 PM »
Both
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »

My Opinion:

- Some people will extrapolate that it's because of (insert player). "SEE! Buzz finally figured it out!!! He needs to play (X)"

MY POINT:
MU's opponents and softer schedule will have more to do with the wins than any sort of line-up change. I certainly think Taylor/Dawson/Mayo could help with increased minutes... but I also think that a softer schedule will really help a team that has been so close to a handful of wins against good teams.

LOL - Nice way to hedge...so if MU does improve and go 8-2 and it coincides with lineup changes, it will be the result of a softer schedule, and not the lineup changes?  Tell me, which games have we been so close to winning against good teams?  Villanova?  Who else?  If you want to throw out Wisconsin, that's fine, even though we got dominated the whole game only to make a futile run in the last 2:30 of the game - but anyone watching that game knew MU wasn't going to win.

But is it really a softer schedule?  We see Creighton again, albeit at home. See Xavier again, albeit at home.  Have Nova on the road.  Georgetown at Home.  Providence home and away. 

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2014, 02:18:07 PM »
LOL - Nice way to hedge...so if MU does improve and go 8-2 and it coincides with lineup changes, it will be the result of a softer schedule, and not the lineup changes?  Tell me, which games have we been so close to winning against good teams?  Villanova?  Who else?  If you want to throw out Wisconsin, that's fine, even though we got dominated the whole game only to make a futile run in the last 2:30 of the game - but anyone watching that game knew MU wasn't going to win.

But is it really a softer schedule?  We see Creighton again, albeit at home. See Xavier again, albeit at home.  Have Nova on the road.  Georgetown at Home.  Providence home and away. 

Close/winnable games with good teams:
ASU
SDSU
Xavier
Butler
Nova

Now, you take this same MU team, and put them up against lesser opponents (STJ, Butler (home). SH, Xaver(home), DePaul, Georgetown (home), StJ, and we'll should see some more wins.

AND, for the record, I'm not against line-up changes, I'm just saying that the schedule gets softer, so I'm expecting some more wins, regardless of line-up.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »
If and only if John Dawson, Todd Mayo, and Steve Taylor Jr. play at least 20 minutes a game.

DenverMU is by far my favorite fan on this board.  I love your optimism.  Time to believe in this team!  (I agree with your suggestions regarding the playing time as well)  ;)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2014, 04:27:56 PM »
ASU
SDSU
Xavier
Butler
Nova

Now, you take this same MU team, and put them up against lesser opponents (STJ, Butler (home). SH, Xaver(home), DePaul, Georgetown (home), StJ, and we'll should see some more wins.

AND, for the record, I'm not against line-up changes, I'm just saying that the schedule gets softer, so I'm expecting some more wins, regardless of line-up.

Add Wiscy to that list. We were within one bucket with a minute left.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2014, 04:30:16 PM »
ASU
SDSU
Xavier
Butler
Nova

So is Butler a 'good team' or a 'lesser opponent'?

Record on the left side shows them at 1-7 in conf., in last place. They are good at home/lesser on the road?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2014, 04:33:44 PM »

My Opinion:

MY POINT:

Exactly. We trotted out the same "stale" lineup and beat DePaul and Seton Hall. Didn't beat 'em easily but we beat 'em. Why? Because they weren't Villanova or even Butler. Lots of winnable games ahead, regardless of the lineup we use.

I do hope we modify the backcourt minutes some, however. It does get tiring listening to my wife scream at Derrick and Jake! Mrs. MU82 has a mean streak, especially when her starting guards combine for 6 points in an OT game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2014, 04:53:40 PM »
So is Butler a 'good team' or a 'lesser opponent'?

Record on the left side shows them at 1-7 in conf., in last place. They are good at home/lesser on the road?

Well, I don't think winning at Hinkle is very easy, so I consider that a tough game/good team.

But, we can throw that one out.

MU was tight with UW until the last few minutes, so you could add that one into the list.

I also didn't include Providence in any list. They are an unknown to me right now. Their record is pretty good, but I just don't know enough about them.

Anyways, my point is that MU has been close and not able to get over the hump (to use a cliche). If/when the competition gets a little weaker, I think MU can/should win some games.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2014, 05:00:58 PM »
ASU
SDSU
Xavier
Butler
Nova

Butler?  Good?  And St. John's a lesser opponent?  After St. Johns just ripped Butler at Butler by 19?  Okay.  And SDSU - we were in that game?  I recall Burton went on a nice scoring binge to get us back to -4, and then was relegated to the bench..and there was no suspense down the stretch as to if we win.  Xavier?  Dawson helped get us back in that game in the 2nd half, only to turn over to Derrick and our 1- deficit went to -8 in 2:45.  And as for Nova....we pretty much were dominated the whole game...ont the perimeter, if not for Todd Mayo's heroics at the end...

I'd agree that we were in the game at ASU throughout....and of course that was Derrick's best game as a collegiate - no where near what his other games have been...but we certainly were competitve against what's proven to be a decent ASU team (34 in Pomroy.)

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

nyg

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2014, 05:02:36 PM »
A good start to any possible win streak would be Buzz having his "lockdown defender" on Cotton.  Should be interesting as to who guards him, Dwil or Thomas.  Other quality guards have lit up MU, so we'll see.  Then of course have to deal with Batts and Henton.  The Friars will be a test.  

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2014, 05:11:08 PM »
Butler?  Good?  And St. John's a lesser opponent?  After St. Johns just ripped Butler at Butler by 19?  Okay.  And SDSU - we were in that game?  I recall Burton went on a nice scoring binge to get us back to -4, and then was relegated to the bench..and there was no suspense down the stretch as to if we win.  Xavier?  Dawson helped get us back in that game in the 2nd half, only to turn over to Derrick and our 1- deficit went to -8 in 2:45.  And as for Nova....we pretty much were dominated the whole game...ont the perimeter, if not for Todd Mayo's heroics at the end...

I'd agree that we were in the game at ASU throughout....and of course that was Derrick's best game as a collegiate - no where near what his other games have been...but we certainly were competitve against what's proven to be a decent ASU team (34 in Pomroy.)

Fine.

MU is going to win 8 out of their next 10 because Buzz is going to play (Player B) a ton of minutes. (Player B) is really good, but Buzz has held him back out of loyalty to (Player A).*

*Posters are welcome to substitute in whoever they want for "Player B"... a lot of guys have worn that "held back" crown this year, including Burton, JJJ, Dawson, Taylor and Mayo... so rage on, pissed off basketball scholars!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:13:45 PM by Guns n Ammo »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2014, 05:15:30 PM »
Fine.

MU is going to win 8 out of their next 10 because Buzz is going to play (Player B) a ton of minutes. (Player B) is really good, but Buzz has held him back out of loyalty to (insert A).*

*Posters are welcome to substitute in whoever they want for "Player B"... a lot of guys have worn that "held back" crown this year, including Burton, JJJ, Dawson, Taylor and Mayo... so rage on, pissed off basketball scholars!

Nice.  Thanks for at least not trying to suggest that we face a softer schedule the next 10 games than we have the previous 10. 

As for your Player B scenario - you do realize PG is the most important position on the basketball court, correct??  Having said that, yes, of all the above "Player B's" you mention above - I'll vote Dawson would be the one to make the biggest difference.  Then Mayo.  Then Steve Taylor.  Then Burton. 

Play Dawson and Todd 30 minutes a game, and I guarantee you our starting backcourt will no longer be consistently getting outscored 35-10 (or worse.)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2014, 05:19:08 PM »
Nice.  Thanks for at least not trying to suggest that we face a softer schedule the next 10 games than we have the previous 10. 

As for your Player B scenario - you do realize PG is the most important position on the basketball court, correct??  Having said that, yes, of all the above "Player B's" you mention above - I'll vote Dawson would be the one to make the biggest difference.  Then Mayo.  Then Steve Taylor.  Then Burton. 

Play Dawson and Todd 30 minutes a game, and I guarantee you our starting backcourt will no longer be consistently getting outscored 35-10 (or worse.)

Choose your own adventure, bro.

That's the beauty of "Player B". We can ALL be right!

Buzz is clearly holding back "Player B", and once he figures that out, the sky is the limit.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2014, 05:27:05 PM »
Choose your own adventure, bro.

That's the beauty of "Player B". We can ALL be right!

Buzz is clearly holding back "Player B", and once he figures that out, the sky is the limit.

Thanks "bro."  What's your vote?  Or do you feel the status quo, as has Buzz felt, is still the best option? 

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2014, 10:17:07 PM »
I guarantee that Marquette will not go 6-3 or 5-4 over their next 8 games.

If the starting back court plays +70 Minutes a game... Marquette is gonna lose more games than they win... period
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:21:26 PM by Nevada233 »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2014, 07:50:45 AM »
Thanks "bro."  What's your vote?  Or do you feel the status quo, as has Buzz felt, is still the best option? 

I think players get the minutes they earn.

#1 Play well in practice.
#2 Play to the scouting report.
#3 Produce in games.

You'll get minutes.

Miss on any 3 of those, and you might find yourself with a reduced role.

jsheim

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2014, 11:18:10 PM »
I'm an optimist and think MU will go 8-3 so 11-7 in BE. And 19-12 overall. But does that get them in? Even with 1-1, 2-1 in BE tourney... that's 20-13, 21-13...i don't think so. What do you think?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2014, 09:14:26 AM »
I'm an optimist and think MU will go 8-3 so 11-7 in BE. And 19-12 overall. But does that get them in? Even with 1-1, 2-1 in BE tourney... that's 20-13, 21-13...i don't think so. What do you think?

19-12 leaves us on the outside looking in, unless we win the BET. Gotta go 20-11 with 2 BET wins to make the tourney. Even then, it is close.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2014, 09:23:45 AM »
19-12 leaves us on the outside looking in, unless we win the BET. Gotta go 20-11 with 2 BET wins to make the tourney. Even then, it is close.

If they go 20-11 (meaning 12-6 in conference), I'm not sure why they would need 2 BET wins.  Maybe one.  Probably too early to tell, but 12-6 would probably mean a top-4 finish in the conference.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2014, 09:25:52 AM »
20 - 11 - what are you smoking?  

they are 11 - 9 / 3 - 4 right now...  that means you think they could could 9 - 2?

High Probable losses:   @Villanova, Creighton

Winnable / Losable - tossup Games:   vs Prov, @STJ, @SH, vs Xavier, @Depaul, vs GT,  @Providence, vs StJ

High Probable Wins:   Butler

You think the current team - what has shown to date can go 8 - 0 in the the Winnable / Losable games?

feedback