Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If You Heard Buzz's Nova Post Game Talk, Everyone Here Is Wrong ...  (Read 12238 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Buzz said the loss was not about lack of offense.  77 points (in regulation) is enough to win.  Especially considering 77 was scored with only 2 3pt FGs.  The problem was poor defense.

Buzz noted that Nova scored every single possession in OT (expect when Arcidiacono miss, got his own rebound and called a TO).  That was the problem in OT.  Playing more Mayo/Dawson would have made it worse.

Mayo and Dawson will see more playing time when the D plays better.  That is why they were not on the floor as much today.  We did not need them as scoring was not the problem today.

Buzz is right.  We needed more stops, not more offense.  We had enough O today.  The D let us down.

forgetful

• All American
Re: If You Heard Buzz's Nova Post Game Talk, Everyone Here Is Wrong ...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
Buzz said the loss was not about lack of offense.  77 points (in regulation) is enough to win.  Especially considering 77 was scored with only 2 3pt FGs.  The problem was poor defense.

Buzz noted that Nova scored every single possession in OT (expect when Arcidiacono miss, got his own rebound and called a TO).  That was the problem in OT.  Playing more Mayo/Dawson would have made it worse.

Mayo and Dawson will see more playing time when the D plays better.  That is why they were not on the floor as much today.  We did not need them as scoring was not the problem today.

Buzz is right.  We needed more stops, not more offense.  We had enough O today.  The D let us down.

I like this Buzz guy...seems to know his basketball.

djvern414

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 09:06:42 PM »
Yeah, the OT was sick.  'Nova was averaging over 2 points per possession, which reminded me of the Butler game.  In all fairness though, bad offense also led to some bad defense in the OT. Ultimately, Buzz is always going to be questioned unless he puts a "W" on the board.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 09:08:22 PM »

This loss wasn't about the offense. It was about Buzz. His stubbornness and loyalty to certain players have doomed this entire season. This is by far his worst coaching job. When this season mercifully ends, hopefully he can reflect and realize what poor decisions he made and the motivation for getting back to the tournament will motivate him to rethink his player management for next season.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 09:13:20 PM »

Pretty much what I've been saying. Our offensive efficiency was outstanding today, and that's in spite of a ton of missed lay ups (some totally uncontested, are you listening, Steve?). Our defense, though, didn't create enough turnovers,  didn't get  enough 50/50 balls, didn't force enough misses and when Villanova did miss, didn't get enough rebounds (Derrick is our only non big who gets any rebounds).

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 09:21:31 PM »
This loss wasn't about the offense. It was about Buzz. His stubbornness and loyalty to certain players have doomed this entire season. This is by far his worst coaching job. When this season mercifully ends, hopefully he can reflect and realize what poor decisions he made and the motivation for getting back to the tournament will motivate him to rethink his player management for next season.

What decisions are you referring to?  This is code for less Jake and Derrick. 

We scored 77 points.  Had we played this offense game against tOSU, we would have won in laugher. 

Derrick and Jake were not the problem.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 09:25:46 PM »

We scored 77 points.  Had we played this offense game against tOSU, we would have won in laugher. 

There you go again, letting the facts interfere with people's preferred narrative. Those with the pitchforks are very unhappy with you.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 09:27:07 PM »
Jake should not play.  He is one dimensional.  And Derrick should play 10 or less minutes.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 09:28:17 PM »
Jake should not play.  He is one dimensional.  And Derrick should play 10 or less minutes.

And Nova scores 100 and their is not OT

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 09:30:39 PM »
Defense was the problem today. We did a great job scoring inside on Nova even tho we missed some bunnies. Move scored at will - and fortunately missed some.  We had no good interior of exterior D today.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 09:32:17 PM »

Yes, they were on both ends of the court...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 09:32:52 PM »

Weird that I've been saying this in several threads...

Norm

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 09:40:19 PM »
Yes, but who was out there playing defense today on the perimeter? Derrick Wilson and Jake Thomas, with Mayo mixed in too. If Buzz was upset with how the D played today, then why didn't he try Dawson more (8 minutes total, almost all in the 1st half)?

It was not the young guys playing bad defense today, it was the veterans.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 09:40:59 PM »

Hey Genius - When the opposition scores on every single possession in OT - how would playing Mayo/Dawson have made it worse?!!  I mean how in the world could the opposition score every possession in overtime with our lockdown defenders Derrick and Jake out there??  Funny, I felt we lost in OT because we couldn't match their offense, and had numerous empty possessions.

At first I thought you were being sarcastic in your post...but reading on subsequent posts...I see you were being serious.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 09:47:32 PM »
We lost in OT because they scored more than we did. Two ways to see it--we failed on D for letting that happen. Or we failed on O for not matching VU's baskets.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 09:50:52 PM »

Of course they weren't the problem lol...those 2 have played the most minutes this year and we are 11-9. Coincidence?? I think not! I think some on this board are satisfied having a .500 basketball team. I'm not one of them.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 09:56:18 PM »
Hey Genius - When the opposition scores on every single possession in OT - how would playing Mayo/Dawson have made it worse?!!  I mean how in the world could the opposition score every possession in overtime with our lockdown defenders Derrick and Jake out there??  Funny, I felt we lost in OT because we couldn't match their offense, and had numerous empty possessions.

At first I thought you were being sarcastic in your post...but reading on subsequent posts...I see you were being serious.

Then they certainly would have made two baskets every possession in OT!  And if we gave up more points we would have suffered two losses as well. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 10:22:30 PM »

This is the only time you have made this arguement where it is actually true. If they are scoring every possession, then it literally can't get worse.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 10:22:38 PM »
All successful coaches have big egos, unfortunately Buzz is in the phase of his career were he has let it get the best of him. Unfortunately it is hurting this team. The playing rotation is what is killing the team, not the offense or the defense. He is doing a tremendous disservice to some of these kids by putting them in situations that they cannot be successful in. This is a lost season because apparently Buzz is more intent on making some kind of point  than he is in winning games. Probably a sub conscious thing to justify him leaving for another offer at the end of year, which I sincerely hope he takes. It is very clear he doesn't want to be here.

There are plenty of young coaches who could take the kids we have now and in our pipeline and win with them. Marquette is a great institution and bigger than any one coach. I recognize his success to date, but I think he has gone in a far different direction this year. The personnel problems began in the off season and have continued on into the season.  Marquette deserves someone who is mature enough to handle this job. It has become pretty obvious now why Larry Williams( who also was no shrinking violet) jumped ship.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 10:25:18 PM »
This is the only time you have made this arguement where it is actually true. If they are scoring every possession, then it literally can't get worse.

Well all you staunch Derrick backers want to cite that he's so incredibly valuable defensively, that we can't dare trot out Dawson...as things could get so much worse.  Yet the one game Dawson gets 30 minutes - we win on the road against Georgetown - to date, our best win of the season.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

brandx

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 10:29:14 PM »
Yes, but who was out there playing defense today on the perimeter? Derrick Wilson and Jake Thomas, with Mayo mixed in too. If Buzz was upset with how the D played today, then why didn't he try Dawson more (8 minutes total, almost all in the 1st half)?

It was not the young guys playing bad defense today, it was the veterans.
Bingo!!!

If our defense was the problem then why are Jake & DW playing?

They were the guys on the floor PLAYING BAD DEFENSE!!!

brandx

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 10:30:48 PM »
All successful coaches have big egos, unfortunately Buzz is in the phase of his career were he has let it get the best of him. Unfortunately it is hurting this team. The playing rotation is what is killing the team, not the offense or the defense. He is doing a tremendous disservice to some of these kids by putting them in situations that they cannot be successful in. This is a lost season because apparently Buzz is more intent on making some kind of point  than he is in winning games. Probably a sub conscious thing to justify him leaving for another offer at the end of year, which I sincerely hope he takes. It is very clear he doesn't want to be here.

There are plenty of young coaches who could take the kids we have now and in our pipeline and win with them. Marquette is a great institution and bigger than any one coach. I recognize his success to date, but I think he has gone in a far different direction this year. The personnel problems began in the off season and have continued on into the season.  Marquette deserves someone who is mature enough to handle this job. It has become pretty obvious now why Larry Williams( who also was no shrinking violet) jumped ship.

No offense - but that is a stupid post.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 10:42:20 PM »

this could be the dumbest f*ckin thing I've ever read on this G-D forum.  I really hope you are high on meth, otherwise, dang dude.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 11:05:25 PM »

Welcome to MU Scoop Larry Williams.  How's that job search going?  Do you always jump ship without having another gig lined up?  Oh wait, you didn't exactly jump ship...you were politely shown the door.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 01:31:59 AM »
The defense yesterday was as bad as it has been in years.  Help was late, non-committal, guards were caught watching the ball while their guy was running a back-door lay up drill, poor job by the guards of stopping the dribble, bigs guarding wings out on the perimeter, late to close while the 3 was going up, hesitant and late on close outs.......   I honestly cannot remember anyone who looked good on defense. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.