Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU fans at the Verizon!  (Read 6023 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
MU fans at the Verizon!
« on: January 20, 2014, 11:01:30 PM »
Nice job with the "WE ARE MARQUETTE!" chant in OT, and then the "automatic" for Davante!

Well done!

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: MU fans at the Verizon!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:08:22 PM »
Les Aspin Center in the house?
We Are Marquette

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 11:10:12 PM »
Les Aspin Center in the house?

Looks like it is time to go make a donation to the Les Aspin center? Could be an affordable way to ensure MU fans in the house for the GTown game every year.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 11:13:31 PM »
IIRC there is an alum living in the area that host a party and bus. At least that was the case a few years ago.

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 11:14:44 PM »
really poor showing by Georgetown fans.  Very strong showing from MU fans (relative to expectations, of course).

Father O'Brien and Father Wild court side, as it should be. 

Norm

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 12:33:29 AM »
Georgetown never really gets a big crowd for their games unless Syracuse is in town. In their defense though, it was a Monday night 9pm start on a federal holiday.

Marquette had a lot of fans interspersed throughout the Verizon Center. I sat in 432 with a block of MU fans. My 7 and 9 year olds were yelling at the top of their lungs rooting MU on in the last 5 minutes or so - I actually had to tell one to quit down as I thought they may be annoying some of the other fans. Awesome we got it to OT and then pulled it out.

Too bad this was not a Saturday game, as the after-party would have been pretty good with all the MU fans in attendance.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 03:57:29 AM »
Father O'Brien and Father Wild court side, as it should be. 

Interesting. Wild can attend a game 800 miles away from his front door. Pilarz couldn't be bothered to walk 8 blocks. 

Death on call

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 05:06:14 AM »
Interesting. Wild can attend a game 800 miles away from his front door. Pilarz couldn't be bothered to walk 8 blocks. 

He was too busy fundraising.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 05:08:21 AM »
Nice job with the "WE ARE MARQUETTE!" chant in OT, and then the "automatic" for Davante!

Well done!

We've debated the merit of the "Auto-matic!" cheer in the past, and whether Davante actually likes it.  Well...last night on tv you saw his mom leading the cheer herself.

MU was well represented at the Butler game I attended Saturday, and we're plenty vocal last night.  Awesome stuff.

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 05:38:16 AM »
really poor showing by Georgetown fans.  Very strong showing from MU fans (relative to expectations, of course).

only MU/Georgetown games I've been to that had good crowds were Saturday/Sunday games out here in DC. Last few have been week night games and the Georgetown crowd (student body especially) have been embarrassing. I feel like we've always had a good showing at the Verizon Center...and to make it better, we have a SNOW DAY today!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 07:57:55 AM »

He didn't even go to home games?  Jeez, talk about not getting it. 

We've debated the merit of the "Auto-matic!" cheer in the past, and whether Davante actually likes it.  Well...last night on tv you saw his mom leading the cheer herself.

MU was well represented at the Butler game I attended Saturday, and we're plenty vocal last night.  Awesome stuff.

Hopefully we can get mom to a few more games, she was good luck.  Will surely see her at Nova. 

Verizon has to be right behind DePaul for MU on the road support it seems.  Maybe just because it's a big arena and GTown fans don't show up.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 08:03:52 AM »
I could hear the MU fans on TV.  For a road game, it was good to hear cheers on TV when we scored.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 08:09:14 AM »
He didn't even go to home games?  Jeez, talk about not getting it. 

We have had this conversation before.  I don't know why the notion exists that Pilarz didn't attend basketball games. He did. I saw him at many of them. It was usually as he went up the escalator up to the skyboxes, presumably to rub elbows with the donors up there.
Have some patience, FFS.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 08:22:17 AM »
Two best sports memories from my college years did not involve MU basketball (we just weren't that good--most vivid memories are of close losses to ND (multiple) and N.C.):

1.  Freshman year parade down Wisconsin Ave for '82 Brewers winning the AL (even though --or maybe because--I was a Cardinals fan);

2.  Crazy night enjoying the Georgetown National Championship at the intersection of Wisconsin and M in '84 while spending a pre-Les Aspin Center semester in DC at American U. 

The Georgetown students did know how to enjoy their basketball in the Ewing years.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 10:58:59 AM »
We have had this conversation before.  I don't know why the notion exists that Pilarz didn't attend basketball games. He did. I saw him at many of them. It was usually as he went up the escalator up to the skyboxes, presumably to rub elbows with the donors up there.

+1

Not sure why Pilarz was brought up in this thread. He's gone
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 11:09:22 AM »

Are you certain it was elbows he was rubbing?
Ludum habemus.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »

+1

Fox showed Ox's mom chanting automatic and acted like it was some random person cheering for him.

And, yes, we can out to rest the automatic chant.  If Ox's mom is doing it, we should all be doing it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 12:53:06 PM »
Are you certain it was elbows he was rubbing?

You been whispering with Nightmare in the back pew? What's the dirt? Give it...

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 12:56:42 PM »
It was usually as he went up the escalator up to the skyboxes, presumably to rub elbows with the donors up there.

A real man of the people, that Scotty.

The man was not a friend of Marquette Basketball. Pilarz and his crew was a disaster, in many ways.

Death on call

kira67

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 01:18:31 PM »
I would say that at least 30% of the crowd was pro-Marquette (if you don't count the student section)

We are Marquette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6hZgIF48To

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 02:31:02 PM »
I would say that at least 30% of the crowd was pro-Marquette (if you don't count the student section)

We are Marquette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6hZgIF48To

Being from DC and as a Georgetown Prep alum I have been to many GT games over the years. From what I saw on TV last night it seemed they had a better student turn out than usual. Not sure why but their atmosphere has never been electric.

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 02:44:43 PM »
He was too busy fundraising.

Undoubtedly!  lol
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 02:54:25 PM »

I'm sure that you are correct that he was there.  That makes it all the more interesting that so many think that he wasn't.  I understand the value of rubbing elbows with the big wigs, but evidently, Pilarz missed out on the benefits of increased visibility.

Given his demise, rubbing elbows with the donors didn't work too well for him either.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 05:33:17 PM »
Given his demise, rubbing elbows with the donors didn't work too well for him either.

From the Scott Pilarz Book, Proven Methods of Fund Raising for Fun, Profit, and Career Advancement

Lesson 1: How to Ascertain What is Really Important To Your Target Demographic

Lesson 2: How to Piss Off Your Largest Donors So They Cease Making Donations

Lesson 3: How to Write Winning Resumes for Exploring Other Apostolic Opportunities

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 05:40:13 PM »
One of the things I heard from my buddy (who works for MUSG) was that during dinners with donors Pilarz would make each of them read a poem in between courses. Now im not rich nor do I plan to be but I feel like that would be one of the last things that would peak my interest to get me to donate money to the University.

feedback