collapse

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Search for New President  (Read 21112 times)

LloydMooresLegs

Search for New President
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:37:28 AM »
Just looking at the MU online alum mag, and noticed that of the 8 person seacrh committee, 6 are grads (of the other two, one is a jesuit and one is a law school prof) who are in a very tight demographic cohort:  1977 to 1981.  I don't know anything about the committee, but I find it promising that 4 of the committee members were on campus for the 1977 championship, and 2 more arrived on campus shortly after.  Their experience of the program's success along with the strategic vision statement emphasizing the role of leveraging the basketball program to promote the University leads me to conclude that we are likely to get a president who believes in the importance of basketball to the University.

By the way, the article invites nominations:  I nominate Dreadman24.

(The focus of the article was to front the likelihood that the new President will be a lay person):

The Marquette Presidential Search
Assignment: Discovery
Throughout its history, Marquette’s president has been a Jesuit. The university community now faces a new reality. Because of multiple factors, count among them a declining pool of Jesuits in the United States, and, within that pool, an even smaller segment holding the credentials for university leadership, Marquette’s 24th president may not be a Jesuit.

In selecting a lay president, the university would not cross into unchartered territory. Lay leaders hold the high office at seven of the 28 U.S. Jesuit colleges and universities, including Georgetown, Loyola Marymount, Canisius and Gonzaga universities. Four other Jesuit colleges and universities in addition to Marquette, plus one Catholic university, are currently conducting presidential searches. Pending the outcomes, the number of lay presidents may grow this year.

Marquette’s bylaws were amended in 2011 to allow a lay president. Vice chair of the Marquette Board of Trustees and presidential search committee chair John Ferraro, Bus Ad ’77, says the university has never before undertaken a search of comparable scope.

“For the first time at Marquette, we will be considering lay candidates as well as Jesuit candidates,” Ferraro says. “Selecting the most qualified and the best person — man or woman — to lead Marquette has to be at the top of the agenda, and a passion for our Catholic identity and Jesuit mission has to be in the DNA of that person.”

What’s most important is that we identify the candidate who is a perfect match for Marquette today, says Rev. Joseph O’Keefe, another trustee, member of the presidential search committee and a professor of education at Boston College.

“At a particular time and place, there is a pool of candidates — lay and Jesuit — and it is important to consider who is ready to move and what a university needs at a particular point in its history,” he says.

“In my opinion, a consideration for any candidate is the appreciation of St. Ignatius’ legacy,” says Father O’Keefe. “I would be concerned if it were someone who is indifferent to Ignatius’ worldview. That would be a problem for me. More and more, lay men and women are leading Jesuit universities, and are very effective at promoting our Catholic, Jesuit mission. This leadership by lay people is in the spirit of St. Ignatius and the Jesuit order.”

The Board of Trustees plans to conclude the search this spring and welcome Marquette’s next president to campus for the fall 2014 semester

Contribute to the search by nominating a candidate. Visit marquettepresident@wittkieffer.com.

Members of the search committee belong to Marquette alumni, faculty and administrative circles.
John Ferraro, Bus Ad ’77, vice chair of the Board of Trustees
Patricia Cervenka, professor of law, Marquette Law School
Dr. William Cullinan, PT ’81, dean of the College of Health Sciences
Patrick Lawton, Bus Ad ’78, Grad ’80, university trustee
Dr. Arnold Mitchem, Grad ’81, university trustee
Rev. Joseph M. O’Keefe, S.J., university trustee
Dr. Janis Orlowski, Eng ’78, university trustee
Owen Sullivan, Arts ’79, university trustee

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Search for New President
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 10:51:56 AM »
From a current students perspective I really hope we have a non-Jesuit, nonreligious president. Times are changing and Marquette needs to adapt to this change. I dont feel like MU will make much progress if another Jesuit president is named. Also from a more selfish standpoint, MUs president have been very anti-greek life and being a fraternity I would really like to see the new president embrace this culture and aid it.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 01:00:19 PM »
From a current students perspective I really hope we have a non-Jesuit, nonreligious president. Times are changing and Marquette needs to adapt to this change. I dont feel like MU will make much progress if another Jesuit president is named. Also from a more selfish standpoint, MUs president have been very anti-greek life and being a fraternity I would really like to see the new president embrace this culture and aid it.

With all due respect, actually no screw that, with no respect...Marquette is a Catholic, Jesuit University, how in the world would you and current students be better served with a non religious President?  I am pretty sure you are not talking about a lay person's ability to fund-raise or a lay person's understanding of intricate budgeting and planning.

Sounds to me like you don't like the "old fashioned" rules / policies enforced by a Jesuit or Religious leader.  Tough sh!t.  It's a Catholic, Jesuit school.   They usually tell you that in the admission process.  Did a priest crack down on your Cancun Party or shut down your Corn Roast?  Has a religious figure objected to you doing more after 2am than most students do all night?  I'll let you in on a little secret, even a lay president might argue with the premise that you can always retake a test but you can never relive a good party.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 01:07:36 PM »
No thanks on the Greek stuff.  It isn't a major selling point for MU and never has been.  MU is fine to deprioritize in the future.

As for a non-Jesuit as pres, I'm ok with it, but I still want the school rooted firmly in Catholic roots.  It's a Catholic school....allegedly.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 01:07:59 PM »
Lens:

I was thinking/hoping that he meant non religious in the sense of non religious order- IOW not a priest or a nun of any sort  (b/c first he said not a Jesuit).  Esard?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 01:17:58 PM »
Lens:

I was thinking/hoping that he meant non religious in the sense of non religious order- IOW not a priest or a nun of any sort  (b/c first he said not a Jesuit).  Esard?

I'm sure (or I hope) he meant a lay person, as a opposed to a athiest.  I can handle a lay person but to Chicos' point - we're a Catholic school.  Deal with it.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 01:35:23 PM »
No thanks on the Greek stuff.  It isn't a major selling point for MU and never has been.  MU is fine to deprioritize in the future.

As for a non-Jesuit as pres, I'm ok with it, but I still want the school rooted firmly in Catholic roots.  It's a Catholic school....allegedly.

Got to agree here.  The fraternities we're not popular at all with the students when I was there at the same time as Chicos.

My brother was two years behind me at MU.  His non-fraternity story is this.  A couple of his sophmore year roommates eventually joined a fraternity.  They always invited him their parties.  They kept asking him to join their fraternity.  He always said no with the rationale, what's the point, you invite me to your parties anyway!?  He never joined and they kept inviting to their parties.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 01:43:04 PM »
What I meant was I really dont see the problem with having a non-religious (lay-person) figure at the helm. Seems to work out pretty well with Georgetown...I gotta admit I was not expecting hate for that comment, simply put, Marquette isnt the same school it was 10 years ago, let alone 30 years ago. Id a lay person is the best fit for the job youre gonna say "thanks but no thanks we want someone less qualified but theyre a Jesuit priest" As for greek life I can go into detail about how it would be beneficial to MU but I know none of you are gonna agree with me no matter what I say so ill just hold off on that one. Oh also, I may be an atheist but that in no way shape or form mean I have less morals then a Christian.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 01:46:27 PM »
Or maybe I am mistaken with my definition of a lay person. I didnt grow up in a religious household.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 02:03:54 PM »
No hate.  If the lay person is better, great.  But better should be defined by how they run a University, not that they are more progressive than the Catholic Church.

The times are always changing.  My parents ('73) thought they were in school during a time of great shift.  There still is, and will always be, a place for maintaining the teaching of Catholicism.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:13:24 PM by The Lens »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 02:24:28 PM »
I think Greek life can be beneficial at large schools.

At a school of MU's size, I'm not sure I see the benefit.

I don't know that sub-dividing the student body into smaller groups and organizations accomplished much. Plus, there are already Greek opportunities, and plenty of other service opportunities on campus if that's what a student is really looking for.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 02:26:06 PM »
One of the great appeals of Marquette is its Jesuit heritage and the Jesuit commitment to service. One needn't be Roman Catholic to understand and embrace the essence of this tradition of seeking improvement through serving, giving, and helping. I have Anglican vicars and bishops in my lineage but I am convinced they would share my enthusiasm for the ideals articulated in the Jesuit curricula.

While not opposed to the hiring of a lay leader I would submit that a crucial selection criteria must be that individual's whole hearted advocacy of the Jesuit philosophical heritage for that is Marquette's raison d'être.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 02:31:53 PM »
I think Greek life can be beneficial at large schools.

At a school of MU's size, I'm not sure I see the benefit.

I don't know that sub-dividing the student body into smaller groups and organizations accomplished much. Plus, there are already Greek opportunities, and plenty of other service opportunities on campus if that's what a student is really looking for.

If the subject of Greek life is a factor in this search then Marquette is in deep trouble. I do not think the significance of this hire can be overstated given the damage done by the previous occupant of the seat. The consideration of lay candidates is a very positive departure but Marquette must remain true to its Jesuit values, principles, and objectives if it is to remain a viable alternative to public-sponsored education.

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 02:49:22 PM »
if you want a private school with a big Greek presence, go to Bradley or Depauw.  That's not Marquette's thing.

and this is from a frat boy.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 02:52:22 PM »
We just hired a Jesuit.   He wasn't the right person for the job.   IMHO, the next president is going to have to combine a commitment to the Jesuit Catholic ideal of service with a tremendous ability to fund-raise.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 02:53:45 PM »

Agree on all counts. Maybe I was lucky. I lived for 2 years on 4 South (Schroeder Hall) and we had all the good things a frat could offer (eclectic mix of athletes, musicians, smart guys, comedians, party people and serious students who all pretty much meshed and became good friends) without the hazing and often faux brotherhood stuff. When we all moved to apartments junior year it was as if we had several frat houses for socializing. Our football, basketball and softball teams stayed together post dorm and played in the independent league. Had plenty of friends in the frats (those AKPsi guys could seriously party) but still thought MU was small enough that they weren't really necessary.

Regarding a president, I'd want competent and Catholic. If we can find a jesuit who best fits those criteria all the better - but not a requirement.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 03:00:15 PM »
if you want a private school with a big Greek presence, go to Bradley or Depauw.  That's not Marquette's thing.

and this is from a frat boy.

I visited DePauw.   The tour leaders flat out told us that (A) the first week on campus was rush week so (B) unless you made previous plans in writing, only plan to live in the freshman dorm that first week as you would be choosing a frat and moving into the house at the end of the first week.   Combine that with fact that Greencastle has nothing else going on.....no thanks.   But thanks for the huge scholarship offer. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 10:26:45 AM »
Agree on all counts. Maybe I was lucky. I lived for 2 years on 4 South (Schroeder Hall) and we had all the good things a frat could offer (eclectic mix of athletes, musicians, smart guys, comedians, party people and serious students who all pretty much meshed and became good friends) without the hazing and often faux brotherhood stuff. When we all moved to apartments junior year it was as if we had several frat houses for socializing. Our football, basketball and softball teams stayed together post dorm and played in the independent league. Had plenty of friends in the frats (those AKPsi guys could seriously party) but still thought MU was small enough that they weren't really necessary.

Regarding a president, I'd want competent and Catholic. If we can find a jesuit who best fits those criteria all the better - but not a requirement.

Agreed 100%.  My best friends today are the guys that I lived with at McCormack and then for the next 3 years- Tower and two off campus houses.

At the risk of feeling the wrath of Chili and others here, a great non-frat model is ND (though I would not change the MU model; also, I get that when Many of us attended MU, the drinking age was 18 and there was no need for frats or their substitutes for "social" purposes).  Their "fraternity" is their dorm - no hazing/silly admission rituals/competitions - they tend to live in their dorm for 3 years with some staying for the 4th (mostly RAs).  Built in mentors, activities, culture, ritual etc. 

And couldn't agree more with those who have said lay person is fine, but the president needs to have a demonstrated commitment to Catholic and, specifically, Jesuit ideals of education and service.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 10:56:37 AM »
Legs, you're on probation.

;)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 12:20:20 PM »
See this is the big misconcption about fraternities. Most of the guys in mine did not join just to find a way to drink. We could have found a way. There is so much more to a fraternity that GDIs dont understand. Also, our fraternity doesnt haze or even have pledges for that matter at all so dont put everybody into the same group.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 02:35:15 PM »
I visited DePauw.   The tour leaders flat out told us that (A) the first week on campus was rush week so (B) unless you made previous plans in writing, only plan to live in the freshman dorm that first week as you would be choosing a frat and moving into the house at the end of the first week.   Combine that with fact that Greencastle has nothing else going on.....no thanks.   But thanks for the huge scholarship offer. 

DePauw is an outstanding undergraduate school. The fact they were waving a scholarship at you is impressive. Having choices makes life easier.

Death on call

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 08:04:38 PM »
The lack of frats was a huge selling point for me at Marquette.

Don't care about the president, I kind of want Jesuit. The pope is killing it and could ride his coattails a bit.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 09:06:40 PM »
The Pope is killing it and could ride his coattails a bit.

Strangest use of "this will help recruiting.."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 09:46:06 PM »
Strangest use of "this will help recruiting.."

Well done.

Just excited about what he is doing and makes me even more proud of the Jesuit connection.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 01:47:39 AM »
Well just to keep everybody updated Marquette just approved expansion for both fraternities and sororities so wether you like it or not Greek life will be growing a lot by this fall.

feedback