collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: James Patrick Page...  (Read 9732 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: James Patrick Page...
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 09:12:45 AM »
Rolling Thunder Revue.

Perhaps my favorite Dylan recording ever. Especially like his "Tangled up in Blue" and "Visions of Johanna" on that
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:16:49 AM by Bleuteaux »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 09:13:51 AM »
Yeah. That is one played a lot at home.  There is a live one that has half the show electric half acoustic. Where the crowd taunts him. I like that one. My dad kind of made me listen to a lot of stuff telling me how good it was suppose to be. Some I actually end up liking. I like the Band. And the kinks.  Two bands he turned me on to.
Waterloo Sunset makes me cry every time I hear it

"Judas"

"I don't believe you...play it fu*king loud"

Royal Albert Hall, 1966

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bootleg_Series_Vol._4:_Bob_Dylan_Live_1966,_The_%22Royal_Albert_Hall%22_Concert
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:16:12 AM by Bleuteaux »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
First, when I saw the heading, I thought Page had died.  Damn you.

2nd, how did this go from 2 posts about Page and Zep to a bob dylan circle jerk?  You guys must all hang out with Dr Naylor and listen to dylan in the brew bayou.  (His History of R&R class should have been titled History of Bob Dylan and The Velvet Underground.)

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 09:50:48 AM »
MU15

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 10:11:15 AM »
In 2000 and 2001 (I think) I walked out on two shows Dylan was the headliner.  Maybe he was good in person in his prime; he was brutal a decade ago.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 10:13:06 AM »
so young guys don't do this anymore?

Jimmy Page & Jeff Beck at Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

http://youtu.be/k3B_-08Abe4
MU15

brandx

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 12:44:15 PM »
I still listen everyday to The Band. Basement Tapes, The Band, and Big Pink registered a seismic shift in style and production from where the rest of the rock genre was moving. The Band impacted the music of artists as diverse as The Beatles to one of my favorites, Neko Case of Seattle.

Two of the best live cuts recorded are from The Last Waltz. Their cover of Bo Diddley's Who Do You Love with The Hawk and Tura, Lura, Lura - Caravan with Van Morrison are epic tributes. I know they attempted comebacks in the years after The Last Waltz but Robbie Robertson's absence left it a bit hollow.   

That.

Also Robbie had some great solo stuff - especially Music for Native Americans.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 01:22:23 PM »
been a long time
been a long time
been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time
Bonzo with short drum rift
Page finishes it off

Rock and Roll
Thank You

Who is this Bob Dylan of whom you speak?

Boone

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2014, 01:34:44 PM »
Love Jeff Beck...never uses a pick...doesn't sing...doesn't need to when he can make his guitar sing like that. Too bad Page and Beck couldn't have played together longer in the Yardbirds.

Melissa, guessing this song is obviously a personal favorite?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFJ20eNspzo

brandx

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2014, 01:59:59 PM »
Love Jeff Beck...never uses a pick...doesn't sing...doesn't need to when he can make his guitar sing like that. Too bad Page and Beck couldn't have played together longer in the Yardbirds.

Heard that Beck is a pretty hard guy to play/get along with. Had issues with rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood in their group as well. And never lasted long with anyone he played with.
Wonder how many others besides him have been inducted into the Hall of Fame twice.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2014, 02:00:52 PM »

Loved Beck. His Yardbirds work established him but I personally most appreciated his collaboration with Jan Hammer. Wired and Live are classics. My favorite Beck album is Blow by Blow. I only have that in vinyl and the B&O is in storage so I need to get it in digits.  

Death on call

Boone

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 02:13:12 PM »
Read the same thing about Beck having a prickly, flaky personality. Beck also turns 70 this year. Read awhile ago that he wants to retire at that age, so he's been working more than usual...trying to cram in as many projects and collaborations as possible (currently touring w/Brian Wilson) before hanging up that well-worn Fender Strat for good. Hope he reconsiders. The man hasn't lost anything off his fastball.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 02:48:42 PM »
Page comes to mind, as one who was inducted twice.

brandx

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2014, 04:11:56 PM »
Page comes to mind, as one who was inducted twice.

My bad. If Beck is in twice cuz once was from the Yardbirds, obviously it would be that Page is in twice. And I'm guessing that would make it 3 times for Clapton.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2014, 04:50:35 PM »
Lots of people are inducted multiple times...

Stephen Stills was inducted twice in the same year, 1997, for Buffalo Springfield and Crosby, Still and Nash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame_inductees

brandx

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2014, 05:19:03 PM »
Lots of people are inducted multiple times...

Stephen Stills was inducted twice in the same year, 1997, for Buffalo Springfield and Crosby, Still and Nash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame_inductees

After guessing at 2-time inductees, I took a look at your link. Had most of them except for some of the old do-wop and R&B guys. Also didn't realize Harrison was in as a solo artist though he was deserving after All Things Must Pass.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2014, 07:05:50 PM »
After guessing at 2-time inductees, I took a look at your link. Had most of them except for some of the old do-wop and R&B guys. Also didn't realize Harrison was in as a solo artist though he was deserving after All Things Must Pass.

I think Harrison is underrated in some ways and deserves mention as a solo artist.

I scrolled through the list of inductees and was disappointed to see that Milwaukee's Daryl Stuermer was not mentioned as a member of Genesis. Stuermer played bass and guitar for Sweet Bottom, a Milwaukee Band back in the day at Sardino's Bull Ring. Stuermer was discovered at Sardino's by Zappa and ended up joining Jean Luc Ponty with Zappa keyboardist George Duke. He then joined Genesis and stayed with Phil Collins in various iterations over the years. Sweet Bottom often played at the Mug Rack.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2014, 07:28:21 PM »
which one has maggies farm on it?

Is that why you're always hittin' the sauce?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2014, 08:45:12 PM »
Also didn't realize Harrison was in as a solo artist though he was deserving after All Things Must Pass.

Agree entirely.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2014, 09:41:59 PM »
Who is this Bob Dylan of whom you speak?

A famous Jewish guy who spoke in riddles and metaphors.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2014, 10:05:21 PM »
A famous Jewish guy who spoke in riddles and metaphors.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:07:52 PM by Bleuteaux »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2014, 11:54:04 AM »
I think Harrison is underrated in some ways and deserves mention as a solo artist.

I scrolled through the list of inductees and was disappointed to see that Milwaukee's Daryl Stuermer was not mentioned as a member of Genesis. Stuermer played bass and guitar for Sweet Bottom, a Milwaukee Band back in the day at Sardino's Bull Ring. Stuermer was discovered at Sardino's by Zappa and ended up joining Jean Luc Ponty with Zappa keyboardist George Duke. He then joined Genesis and stayed with Phil Collins in various iterations over the years. Sweet Bottom often played at the Mug Rack.

Howie Epstein of the Heartbreakers, Milwaukee guy.