collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: James Patrick Page...  (Read 9731 times)

Boone

• All American
James Patrick Page...
« on: January 09, 2014, 06:36:50 PM »
...of Led Zeppelin fame turned 70 today. Wow, that makes me feel old.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: James Patrick Page...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 06:58:26 PM »

that's funny, Boone. I was asking myself, "who's James Patrick?"

Jimmy Page. I remember seeing them at the Arena. Tix were $5...

Death on call

Boone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 07:09:17 PM »
Great recall on ticket prices, Keefe (note the memorabilia section).

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/july-10-1973

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 07:20:15 PM »
Great recall on ticket prices, Keefe (note the memorabilia section).

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/july-10-1973

Ok, memory is starting to fail...$4.50! You could drink all night at the Lanche then hit Real Chili for $5 back in the day...

Thanks for posting, John

Death on call

Boone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 07:36:53 PM »
40 years on and only .50 cents off. Looks like you attended a great show, Dan.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:56:16 AM by Boone »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 08:10:46 PM »

Brings to mind a Peanuts cartoon from 43 or so years ago. In the first frame Linus tells Charlie Brown "Bob Dylan turned 30 today". Frame two they both stare straight ahead. In frame three Charlie say to Linus "That's the most depressing thing I've ever heard". Maybe 70 is the new 30.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 08:37:22 PM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 08:50:48 PM »
Blood on the Tracks, Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 should be in every personal library. A dominant influence for an entire generation.

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 08:55:18 PM »
Blood on the Tracks, Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 should be in every personal library. A dominant influence for an entire generation.

I agree wholeheartedly but I'd also add The Freewheelin and Nashville Skyline to that list.

Blood on the Tracks is perhaps the greatest album of all time by an artist not named The Beatles.

I also think Bob's live stuff is up there with the best ever

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 09:07:11 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly but I'd also add The Freewheelin and Nashville Skyline to that list.

Blood on the Tracks is perhaps the greatest album of all time by an artist not named The Beatles.

I also think Bob's live stuff is up there with the best ever

Nashville is unique and it introduced Lay Lady Lay, probably Dylan's most emotionally versatile composition. Nashville was a harbinger of Dylan's chameleon-like ability to re-present himself in exciting new ways. Not sure it rivals Blood, Blonde, or Highway, though. I would put Desire before Nashville.

Death on call

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 09:15:50 PM »
my dad is always listening to dylan.
MU15

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 09:28:50 PM »
Keefe and Bleuteux,

I would agree that Freewheelin' make the short list with Highway 61, Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks. Like Desire and Nashville Skyline, but I might put them behind Love and Theft and Modern Times.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 09:29:34 PM »
which one has maggies farm on it?
MU15

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 09:43:20 PM »

I believe that's on Bringing it all Back Home

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 09:44:50 PM »
Nashville is unique and it introduced Lay Lady Lay, probably Dylan's most emotionally versatile composition. Nashville was a harbinger of Dylan's chameleon-like ability to re-present himself in exciting new ways. Not sure it rivals Blood, Blonde, or Highway, though. I would put Desire before Nashville.

I also enjoyed his collaboration with Johnny Cash.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 11:18:45 PM »

Bringing It All Back Home. Personally, I prefer the version on Hard Rain with the Rolling Thunder Revue. Maggie's Farm is notorious for Dylan going electric at Newport in '65. Richie Havens also does a great cover version.

Death on call

Boone

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 11:28:22 PM »
Still vividly recall the older kids in my neighborhood lamenting one lazy summer afternoon in the early '70s that some members of the Monkees were now 30.

Speaking of Dylan, am I off base, or did his 'The Man in Me' get a 2nd life after the Big Lebowski came out? Such a great song.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 11:33:51 PM »
I believe that's on Bringing it all Back Home

Almost forgot that gem. Top 5 for me.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 11:39:31 PM »

Speaking of Dylan, am I off base, or did his 'The Man in Me' get a 2nd life after the Big Lebowski came out? Such a great song.

Yes, and wasn't another great Dylan song ("Things have Changed") only later on a greatest hits album or some such thing after being in "The Wonder Boys" with Michael Douglas?

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 12:00:06 AM »
Bringing It All Back Home. Personally, I prefer the version on Hard Rain with the Rolling Thunder Revue. Maggie's Farm is notorious for Dylan going electric at Newport in '65. Richie Havens also does a great cover version.

Yeah. That is one played a lot at home.  There is a live one that has half the show electric half acoustic. Where the crowd taunts him. I like that one. My dad kind of made me listen to a lot of stuff telling me how good it was suppose to be. Some I actually end up liking. I like the Band. And the kinks.  Two bands he turned me on to.
Waterloo Sunset makes me cry every time I hear it
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:03:58 AM by melissasmooth »
MU15

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 12:47:33 AM »
Yeah. That is one played a lot at home.  There is a live one that has half the show electric half acoustic. Where the crowd taunts him. I like that one. My dad kind of made me listen to a lot of stuff telling me how good it was suppose to be. Some I actually end up liking. I like the Band. And the kinks.  Two bands he turned me on to.
Waterloo Sunset makes me cry every time I hear it

I still listen everyday to The Band. Basement Tapes, The Band, and Big Pink registered a seismic shift in style and production from where the rest of the rock genre was moving. The Band impacted the music of artists as diverse as The Beatles to one of my favorites, Neko Case of Seattle.

Two of the best live cuts recorded are from The Last Waltz. Their cover of Bo Diddley's Who Do You Love with The Hawk and Tura, Lura, Lura - Caravan with Van Morrison are epic tributes. I know they attempted comebacks in the years after The Last Waltz but Robbie Robertson's absence left it a bit hollow.   

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 01:09:33 AM »
Almost forgot that gem. Top 5 for me.

Lenny

I know you like Tom Waits so you might want to give Neko Case a listen. I really do think you will like her. She is powerfully expressive in both verse and voice and is likely one of the most experimental artists out there today. I think she could be wildly popular if she were to go mainstream but that is something her artistic integrity would never allow. Let me know what you think.

Death on call

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 07:39:59 AM »

I know you like Tom Waits so you might want to give Neko Case a listen. I really do think you will like her. She is powerfully expressive in both verse and voice and is likely one of the most experimental artists out there today. I think she could be wildly popular if she were to go mainstream but that is something her artistic integrity would never allow.

Not sure if it's intentional or not, but you sound exactly like American Psycho's Patrick Bateman when you write about music. No value judgement, just an observation.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 07:43:57 AM »
You guys should check out Tame Impala's albums "Lonerism" and "Innerspeaker" and Foxygen's "We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 07:45:02 AM »
Lenny

I know you like Tom Waits so you might want to give Neko Case a listen. I really do think you will like her. She is powerfully expressive in both verse and voice and is likely one of the most experimental artists out there today. I think she could be wildly popular if she were to go mainstream but that is something her artistic integrity would never allow. Let me know what you think.

Neko Case is up for a few Grammys this year.  I know she isn't particularly mainstream, but she is well known.