Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Luke Fischer is Coming  (Read 18251 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Luke Fischer is Coming
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2014, 08:09:29 PM »
I can't see that working, unless Harris' stock plummets. 

Haha yeah. Good luck asking anybody, let alone a 17 year old from Chicago, to pay $30,000 to try out for the right to play 3 more years of basketball for free at Marquette when he could go many other places for free.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

raul

• Starter
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2014, 11:27:08 PM »
If there is only one scholly left then I'm glad it went to Luke instead of Malek. I would not be surprised if someone transferred out, like say for instance Mayo or Dawson which in turn opens up another scholly for Malek.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2014, 11:34:12 PM »
Haha yeah. Good luck asking anybody, let alone a 17 year old from Chicago, to pay $30,000 to try out for the right to play 3 more years of basketball for free at Marquette when he could go many other places for free.

I don't know his background, but he would likely qualify for grants and aid that would cover most of his tuition.

Now that being said, I believe there is 0% chance a player like him would go to a University for the "chance" to get a scholarship after a year.

We'd have a better chance of getting OJ to pay for a year of his brothers schooling.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2014, 11:49:20 PM »
I think Luke Fischer made a fundamental mistake by trying to come back this year from a torn labrum without having surgery. The rate of recurrence of this injury without surgery is approximately 90 percent. With surgery the complete recovery rate is 90 percent. I hope he has the surgery soon properly rehabs and comes back healthy. If he does this is a very good pickup for Marquette. If he doesn't I think we will have a kid with chronic shoulder problems who will never realize his potential.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2014, 11:58:41 PM »
If there is only one scholly left then I'm glad it went to Luke instead of Malek. I would not be surprised if someone transferred out, like say for instance Mayo or Dawson which in turn opens up another scholly for Malek.

Scholarships do tend to open up, not only in our program but in many top programs.

Stuff happens. There's a long time between now and the next signing day.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »
Scholarship Table updated

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=8

a few notes....
  • I don't have a format to say Luke will still be sitting out the first semester next year, so he's just listed as a redshirt this year
  • I set the number of scholarships available to -1 for next year until we know what's happening.
  • I changed the number of scholarships available to 1 for 2015-2016, because theoretically, if one of next years seniors leave then 15-16 can stay as is, plus 1.  Will modify accordingly when we know

Not to nitpick Rocky but I think I might put Duane in blue given the public red shirt announcement. That'll properly put him in next year's class. Just a suggestion.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »
I think Luke Fischer made a fundamental mistake by trying to come back this year from a torn labrum without having surgery. The rate of recurrence of this injury without surgery is approximately 90 percent. With surgery the complete recovery rate is 90 percent. I hope he has the surgery soon properly rehabs and comes back healthy. If he does this is a very good pickup for Marquette. If he doesn't I think we will have a kid with chronic shoulder problems who will never realize his potential.

+1. Was thinking the same thing
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

cschor

• Walk-On
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2014, 01:15:11 PM »
Mr. Fisher made a great choice with Marquette. Buzz is one of the very best with JUCO transfers. Welcome aboard Luke, get healthy and be a warrior.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2014, 01:21:04 PM »

Labrum surgery is one of the most over-rated surgeries.  Most times with that surgery there are residual affects and lingering issues plus there is no certainty of resolution of the issue.  I agree he came back too early but he should have rehabbed for 2 months first, not surgery.  Timing actually works out here, he can try rehab for 2 months, if not totally resolved then surgery.  He's not wasting time because the shoulder will be in a better condition prior to surgery, then its 3 months to rehab from surgery.  He could be ready to go easily by Pro-Am.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2014, 01:42:51 PM »
Mr. Fisher made a great choice with Marquette. Buzz is one of the very best with JUCO transfers.

I see what you did there.  ;)

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2014, 01:44:54 PM »
Mr. Fisher made a great choice with Marquette. Buzz is one of the very best with JUCO transfers. Welcome aboard Luke, get healthy and be a warrior.

I see what you did there.   Funny!

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »
Labrum surgery is one of the most over-rated surgeries.  Most times with that surgery there are residual affects and lingering issues plus there is no certainty of resolution of the issue.  I agree he came back too early but he should have rehabbed for 2 months first, not surgery.  Timing actually works out here, he can try rehab for 2 months, if not totally resolved then surgery.  He's not wasting time because the shoulder will be in a better condition prior to surgery, then its 3 months to rehab from surgery.  He could be ready to go easily by Pro-Am.

If he gets the surgery done by a doc who has done thousands of them and properly rehabs the shoulder will be as good as new. Your right though, if he didnt do surgery I think it is a minimum of two months of rehab.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2014, 09:23:29 PM »
Not to nitpick Rocky but I think I might put Duane in blue given the public red shirt announcement. That'll properly put him in next year's class. Just a suggestion.

Right, I guess I'm just optimistic that he decides he's well enough this year to play, and Buzz thinks he's better than the other options.  Nothing technically keeping him from tearing off that redshirt before the end of the season :)

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2014, 09:31:18 PM »

+1000. Labrum tissue quality is crap, leading to poor outcomes.   Also, the labrum has no neural innervation, making the biceps tendon the likely culprit.  Is that solved with the labrum fixed? Who knows.  Also which shoulder is it?  It might effect his shooting arm, but most basketball moves stay out of external rotation/ horizontal abduction, the motion that usually stresses the laburm the most.  Usually, because we have no idea what kind of tear it is.

feedback