collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 03:25:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL s/b be alarmed that 3 of 4 playoff games, including Green Bay, not sold out  (Read 5095 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
NFL should be alarmed that three of four playoff games, including Green Bay's home game, still not sold out

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-alarmed-three-four-playoff-games-including-green-213137570--nfl.html

The legend of the waiting list for Packers season tickets in Green Bay has grown over the years. Newborns get put on the list, with parents hoping some day their offspring hits the top of the list.

Green Bay has perhaps the best fans in the NFL ... which is why the league should be very worried that the Packers and two other teams are still struggling to sell out their playoff games.

Green Bay, as of Wednesday morning, was about 8,500 tickets short of a sellout, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Tom Silverstein. If the Packers don't sell out by 3:40 p.m. Thursday, the game will be blacked out on local TV from Green Bay to Milwaukee. That's almost inconceivable. The Press-Gazette said the Packers have sold out every regular-season game since 1959 (a playoff game in January of 1983, at the end of the strike-shortened season, did not). And yet they are having troubles selling out a playoff game a week after Aaron Rodgers returned from injury to beat the Bears for the NFC North title.

The Bengals produced a video with some players urging fans to buy playoff tickets, which you wouldn't think should be necessary for a NFL playoff game. Former Bengals receiver Chad Johnson said he would buy the unsold tickets, of which there are about 8,000 according to reports, but it's unclear if he was serious. As of Wednesday afternoon the Colts needed to sell 5,500 tickets for their game against the Chiefs before Thursday afternoon to become a sellout and avoid a local television blackout.

It would be a tremendous embarrassment to the league to have three of four playoff games blacked out locally, and likely, the tickets will get sold somehow to avoid that scenario. But there's a bigger issue here. Is this the most stark example that NFL fans aren't too excited to go to games anymore?

A quick glance at Ticketmaster on Wednesday afternoon showed the face-value prices for the Packers playoff game ranged from $313 and $102, not counting Ticketmaster fees. If you've attended a NFL game, you know that the cost doesn't end with tickets. Parking is outrageously and insultingly high at most NFL games. Concessions aren't cheap either. NFL teams have gouged and gouged and gouged, and maybe there's a breaking point.

It is supposed to be a high of four degrees in Green Bay on Sunday, when the Packers play the 49ers, with a low of minus-15 degrees. Would you rather spend a few hundred dollars to sit in miserable conditions or stay at home and watch on TV, where the high-definition view is a heck of a lot better than it is better than any vantage point in the stadium? It seems that more fans are asking themselves that question, especially as the in-home experience for watching games has improved with great televisions and easy access to discuss the game with friends online.

The NFL has a serious issue on its hands when three cities are struggling to sell out a playoff game, including the Packers. All three games might sell out and the local television blackout scare will be forgotten. But the NFL better not ignore what's happening this week. It's not a good sign for the future.

brandx

Cincy and GB are outdoors in brutal weather this weekend. Indy is the only surprise to me.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Cincy and GB are outdoors in brutal weather this weekend. Indy is the only surprise to me.

Green Bay has sold out every non-strike year game since 1959.  I'm going to bet this is not the first game in brutal weather (see the ice bowl, 1967).

What are the chances the league moves the game to a different time because of the weather?

DegenerateDish

• All American
Green Bay has sold out every non-strike year game since 1959.  I'm going to bet this is not the first game in brutal weather (see the ice bowl, 1967).

What are the chances the league moves the game to a different time because of the weather?

Zero.

nyg

• All American
Just saw that the temperature is to be 0 to minus 5, with windchill of minus 30.  That will be unbearable. Would that make it the coldest game in history? 

brandx

Correct. It will still be cold earlier and then they'd have to switch the other game to the late slot.

I was just replying about my own feelings. I go to a lot of games, but have no interest in sitting in below 0 weather. If it was a noon game, I still don't think I would get tickets - but with most of the game after dark - absolutely no chance.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
84, why you starting a new thread on this?  Being discussed in the NFL thread.  

And there is zero chance that the Green Bay game is not sold out.  Right now it's close enough for Gruber to buy the left overs.  
Ludum habemus.

brandx

Just saw that the temperature is to be 0 to minus 5, with windchill of minus 30.  That will be unbearable. Would that make it the coldest game in history? 

Supposed to get to -15 to -20 Sunday night so even if it sells out, I expect lots of empty seats (Packer fans bein' smart and all) 8-)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

And there is zero chance that the Green Bay game is not sold out.  Right now it's close enough for Gruber to buy the left overs.  

Who's Gruber?

Death on call

brandx

Who's Gruber?

Law firm that Aaron does commercials for.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Ludum habemus.

Tugg Speedman

• All American

Of course the game will sell out, they will all sellout.  But in the last 55 years did the packers ever need extra time to sellout a playoff game?

Is it because it is too cold?  Here are the 10 coldest games in NFL history, Lambeau is listed as the coldest ever, the 1967 ice bowl at -13.  Did they need extra time to sellout that game?  How about the 5th, 8th and 10th coldest games ever?  Did the Packers need extra time to sellout those games.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d824da7dd

I blame the rumors the Rodgers is gay :)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:12:09 PM by Heisenberg »

GGGG

• All American
Packers have sold more tickets for this game than any other playoff game in their history. The stadium is about twice the size as the ice bowl days. Not surprising considering the weather and the quality in the television experience.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Packers have sold more tickets for this game than any other playoff game in their history. The stadium is about twice the size as the ice bowl days. Not surprising considering the weather and the quality in the television experience.

If the television experience is keeping people away, why are the Packers spend a zillion dollars on the stadium?  Why not downsize it to a television studio?

If the Stadium is too large now, why spend money to make it bigger?

Sounds like Wisconsin voters are getting ripped off.

GGGG

• All American
The television experience is much greater when it's going to be below zero.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Law firm that Aaron does commercials for.

Got it, thanks. Surprising that Rodgers would shill for a law firm, especially one that seems to focus on a personal injury practice. Not sure what particular expertise an NFL player brings to legal advice...

Surprising that the Packers didn't sell out, since they have such a mystique. Certainly one of sport's strongest brands. I recall Packer bars throughout Asia while there no such watering holes for the Seahawks or Niners. The Cubs have a similar appeal.

Death on call

hairy worthen

• All American
If the television experience is keeping people away, why are the Packers spend a zillion dollars on the stadium?  Why not downsize it to a television studio?

If the Stadium is too large now, why spend money to make it bigger?

Sounds like Wisconsin voters are getting ripped off.
I am not sure WI voters paid anything for the newest addition. They have a 100k waiting list. Even if 20% of those buy tickets it was a good decision to expand it. I think this is an anomaly with circumstances all falling the wrong way. They have no problem selling out the regular season

Blackhat

• All American
Stone Cold is not affected by the cold... will be there.. chest hair exposed.

brandx

Stone Cold is not affected by the cold... will be there.. chest hair exposed.

Spray paint MU on your chest so we can pick you out when the cameras show the assorted alcoholics in the crowd :D

GGGG

• All American
Got it, thanks. Surprising that Rodgers would shill for a law firm, especially one that seems to focus on a personal injury practice. Not sure what particular expertise an NFL player brings to legal advice...

I believe they became friends due to both if them working with the MACC Fund.

Benny B

• All American

Ask Mark Chmura who once worked for MU law's next-most notorious alum.

Funny story... I was three steps behind Gruber walking into the BC for the OSU game; as we walked passed the scalpers, one of them (didn't look to see who, but if I had to guess, it was the one-legged one) said to another, "that guy was my lawyer when I was a kid."  Evidently Gruber didn't get paid on that case.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

classof2k

• Scholarship Player
2 Gruber connections to college basketball:

- Gruber played college ball for the University of Delaware (http://onmilwaukee.com/market/articles/davidgrubertalks.html)
- His son Steven played in the Pro-Am this past summer (http://www.brownbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/2009-10/bios/gruber_steve00.html)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
MU law's next-most notorious alum.

Sen Joe McCarthy?

Death on call

Eldon

• All American
Uggh, A-Rod does commercials for a personal injury lawyer?!?!  Maybe the Pack can't sell out because Rodgers already did...

Hards Alumni

• All American
Uggh, A-Rod does commercials for a personal injury lawyer?!?!  Maybe the Pack can't sell out because Rodgers already did...

Money talks.  If you don't sell out, you're a fool.

feedback