Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Luke Fischer transferring from I4  (Read 82812 times)

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: Luke Fischer transferring from I4
« Reply #250 on: January 03, 2014, 10:41:21 AM »
Would love to see Fisher come to Marquette.  In follow up to what Willie has written, I agree with most of it.  Watched the Badgers demolish Northwestern last night.  I like Buzz, but what a tremendous coaching job Bo has done with mediocre players.  He coaches "them up".  They play like one unit.  This year's Marquette team looks confused and disorganized.  The talent is there but they play as though they are "coached down."  I would like to know why?  They shoot poorly from the field and free throw line.  Does Buzz de-emphasize shooting in practice?  Does he criticize the players so much that they shoot poorly?  Most of the players shot much better in high school.  Buzz is responsible for putting the players in position to play their best, not their worst.  A case can't be made for any of the players that they are performing better once they came to Marquette.  Something seems to be seriously wrong.

WarriorDoc

• Starter
« Reply #251 on: January 03, 2014, 10:50:54 AM »
Would love to see Fisher come to Marquette.  In follow up to what Willie has written, I agree with most of it.  Watched the Badgers demolish Northwestern last night.  I like Buzz, but what a tremendous coaching job Bo has done with mediocre players.  He coaches "them up".  They play like one unit.  This year's Marquette team looks confused and disorganized.  The talent is there but they play as though they are "coached down."  I would like to know why?  They shoot poorly from the field and free throw line.  Does Buzz de-emphasize shooting in practice?  Does he criticize the players so much that they shoot poorly?  Most of the players shot much better in high school.  Buzz is responsible for putting the players in position to play their best, not their worst.  A case can't be made for any of the players that they are performing better once they came to Marquette.  Something seems to be seriously wrong.

While I think there is something to be said about the jump from high school to NCAA, I have to agree with the comments on shooting.  Two years straight we have teams that "can't shoot".  Yes, Vander hit some clutch shots when he needed to but if I recall he had about a 30% clip from 3.  Yes, our FG% probably looked ok since we got a lot of points in the paint but we again, had an extremely poor jump shooting team. 

I like winning a lot and I'm thrilled we made the E8 last year and our prior success with Buzz before that.  That being said, it is a bit disturbing to see two years of poor shooting and it makes me miss the days when we had great guards who could knock down shots.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #252 on: January 03, 2014, 10:51:52 AM »

Prior to this year, Buzz’s players have generally improved.  Wes Matthews, Crowder, JFB, Hayward, Vander Blue, DJO, and on and on.  Many people were talking up Buzz’s ability to get lower rated players in the NBA.  So are you suggesting Buzz suddenly got stupid this year?  Or perhaps other factors are involved?

To your point about the Badgers, Bo is obviously a great coach, but they have some high level talent on that team also.  Lets not kid ourselves, just because some UW recruits are not typical MU recruits doesn’t make them mediocre players.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #253 on: January 03, 2014, 10:55:19 AM »
Buzz has always had some extremely mentally and physically TOUGH players on the team.  Guys that would run through the brick wall.  They would always be the leaders.  Its always appeared that Buzz was very very hard on his players.  At least thats what it seems like.

I dont think its a "basketball" thing.  Some players just dont react well to that kind of motivation.  Some do....

Buzz needs to figure out what will get these guys both motivated and confident.
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #254 on: January 03, 2014, 11:15:41 AM »

Name one player in the MU starting lineup you'd take over UW's starting lineup? Dekker is more talented than Jamil Wilson, and on down the line. Just because they're white doesn't mean they aren't talented. CBB, for the most part, is a 3 point shooting contest....it's been that way for a long time. Wisconsin, Creighton and teams like it shoot over 40% from deep, that's talent.

It's a down year for MU, I wouldn't question Buzz after 3 straight sweet 16s. Even Kentucky and UNC have missed the tourney recently. Great that Bo makes it every year, he's beaten ONE higher seed since he's been at UW....it's all about the post season.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #255 on: January 03, 2014, 11:28:26 AM »
Give me skilled players over athletes any day of the week.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #256 on: January 03, 2014, 11:49:15 AM »
Give me skilled players over athletes any day of the week.

Not mutually exclusive.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #257 on: January 03, 2014, 11:52:34 AM »
Not mutually exclusive.

Nothing like lobster and cracked crab for everyone.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #258 on: January 03, 2014, 12:10:38 PM »
Name one player in the MU starting lineup you'd take over UW's starting lineup? Dekker is more talented than Jamil Wilson, and on down the line. Just because they're white doesn't mean they aren't talented. CBB, for the most part, is a 3 point shooting contest....it's been that way for a long time. Wisconsin, Creighton and teams like it shoot over 40% from deep, that's talent.

It's a down year for MU, I wouldn't question Buzz after 3 straight sweet 16s. Even Kentucky and UNC have missed the tourney recently. Great that Bo makes it every year, he's beaten ONE higher seed since he's been at UW....it's all about the post season.

People will say I'm nuts, but they are forgetting the benefit/negative the offensive system has on a player.  I'd take Jake Thomas over Brust.  They are very similar players (Brust better rebounder), their stat lines are fairly similar with the exception of Brust having more playing time and Thomas being slightly less efficient.

But put Thomas in the UW system, which would benefit him more, and he would more than make up for the difference in efficiencies. 

brandx

« Reply #259 on: January 03, 2014, 12:26:12 PM »
Burton and DG are the only 2 guys with an offensive mindset.

And, one isn't getting shots because of no PG and the other is just learning how to deal with the big bodies inside that he never had to face before.

Burton will be a big factor through the conference schedule as he improves. Our PG will still not be able to pass to Ox .

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #260 on: January 03, 2014, 12:27:20 PM »
I would much rather have Brust.  Much quicker off the bounce and a better ball handler.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #261 on: January 03, 2014, 12:29:54 PM »
Bottom line is Jake's a mid-major playa.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #262 on: January 03, 2014, 01:15:25 PM »
Bottom line is Jake's a mid-major playa.
That is probably true to some extent, but most shooters cannot get their own shot. Look at Creighton, except for McDermott the others were all shooting wide open threes. I think Jake would shoot well on Creighton, because he would good multiple open looks. He also would shoot well on the current UW team that spreads the floor and has 5 shooters on the floor. Jake is simply in the wrong offense or teamed with players that do not draw defenders away from Jake. Jake is always well covered, because there are no other threats on the team.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #263 on: January 03, 2014, 01:26:34 PM »

And, one isn't getting shots because of no PG and the other is just learning how to deal with the big bodies inside that he never had to face before.

Burton will be a big factor through the conference schedule as he improves. Our PG will still not be able to pass to Ox .

People here question this, x, but every commentator, including KO, has cited the 4 on 5 factor as the single biggest impediment to offensive success this year. Hell, KO practically begs our PG to at least shoot to keep defenses honest. DG has every right to be frustrated.

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #264 on: January 03, 2014, 01:30:27 PM »
People here question this, x, but every commentator, including KO, has cited the 4 on 5 factor as the single biggest impediment to offensive success this year. Hell, KO practically begs our PG to at least shoot to keep defenses honest. DG has every right to be frustrated.

Then why is CO, a far less offensively gifted player, having the best year of his 6 year career?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #265 on: January 03, 2014, 01:45:01 PM »
Then why is CO, a far less offensively gifted player, having the best year of his 6 year career?
Quite frankly, because teams are not concerned about COs offensive prowess.  If he goes "off".  What is it?  15 points?  Nothing against CO, Love the dude.  But the saggers are sagging on DG and not CO.
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #266 on: January 03, 2014, 01:48:13 PM »
Quite frankly, because teams are not concerned about COs offensive prowess.  If he goes "off".  What is it?  15 points?  Nothing against CO, Love the dude.  But the saggers are sagging on DG and not CO.

Gotta disagree with you there.  Against any of the quality opponents we have played this year I have yet to see a defender play Derrick Wilson tight when CO is in the game rather than DG.  People claim the problem is the point guard and getting the ball into the post.  It's not like defenses are up in DeWil's grill when Gardner is out of the game.  They're playing the same defense.  We still get the ball into CO.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #267 on: January 03, 2014, 02:00:49 PM »
how many of CO's baskets were off an assist vs. a rebound he snatched?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #268 on: January 03, 2014, 02:08:25 PM »
CO is bigger, presents a bigger target for the passer, seals the defender more effectively, and can turn in either direction.   He also goes after more offensive rebound off of other people's misses than does Gardner.  Then he goes down and plays better defense.   Other than that.....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #269 on: January 03, 2014, 03:06:10 PM »
BTW, back to the original point of the thread, I would be stunned if Luke ended up at MU.    IMO there would already be word slipping out if that was in the cards. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #270 on: January 03, 2014, 03:13:41 PM »
BTW, back to the original point of the thread, I would be stunned if Luke ended up at MU.    IMO there would already be word slipping out if that was in the cards. 

I'm with you.  If it was as simple as just moving closer to home I think he would have picked MU already. 

Does anyone know anything about his family's financial situation?  Maybe the Scholarship for a semester is a big deal.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #271 on: January 03, 2014, 03:23:43 PM »
I'm with you.  If it was as simple as just moving closer to home I think he would have picked MU already. 

Does anyone know anything about his family's financial situation?  Maybe the Scholarship for a semester is a big deal.

There is very little news anywhere.  Twitter is full of nothing...except Butler is apparently out of it.

That being said, I know nothing about his parents financial situation.  However he is the only child of a mother who is an elementary school principal and father who works for Kelloggs.  I think he is also a good student, so I am guessing he would be eligible for a decent academic scholarship.  My guess is that if he *really* wanted to come to MU, paying for a semester would not be an issue.

What slightly concerns me is that his AAU coach is the point of contact for this.  MU hasn't had much luck with Wisconsin Swing kids, but I have no idea if the coach has any sort of animosity toward Marquette.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #272 on: January 03, 2014, 03:26:09 PM »
I would much rather have Brust.  Much quicker off the bounce and a better ball handler.
Totally agree. Not even in the ballpark of a difficult decision. Brust actually drives and has been a contributor pretty much since he arrived. The initial post actually made me laugh.

Rudy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #273 on: January 03, 2014, 03:31:16 PM »
... I like Buzz, but what a tremendous coaching job Bo has done with mediocre players.  He coaches "them up".  ....

Those are not mediocre players. Dekker is a future pro. They beat out Ohio State for Nigel. Koenig would be a welcome addition on almost any team. Gasser is a very good player. Kaminsky has a lot of talent. They also have all the pieces, so they work well together. We are missing some pieces.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #274 on: January 03, 2014, 04:16:35 PM »

Um, Mayo definitely has an offensive mindset.  Jajuan too but he's not as confident as Burton yet.

feedback