Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ellenson vs Stone  (Read 17569 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Ellenson vs Stone
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »
Nice, lets scare our top recruit away from the school before he even gets here.   
Im cool about criticizing player that are already here, but lets not scare away a 5 star center.

If a young man is scared away this easily, he isn't tough enough to be a Big East big man anyway.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 10:51:51 AM »
BeeJay, where you at homie? You need to chime in on this puppy.

Been praising him for years.

Can be a helluva lot better than his "rankings".

Some Ellenson articles

TWIN CITIES & SURROUNDING AREA TALENT
Henry Ellenson (Rice Lake, WI)
6’9”, 250 | Rice Lake HS | Class of 2015

October 2012 Notes
You may hear Ellenson called a center by some, but that’s selling him short. Physically he looks the part and he can certainly battle on the blocks, but his skill and athletic ability sets him far apart from other kids his size.

Henry is an excellent shooter with plenty of range well past the three-point line, but has also worked on developing his game on the blocks. Over the next few years he should be able to continue adding to his arsenal of offensive weapons, which is a scary thought for teams trying to defend him.

His strength and quickness are not areas of concern, but there is opportunity for him to be elite if these areas progress nicely over the next few years. In college, there is no reason Ellenson can’t be a 3/4 switchable type who can score at multiple levels and defend multiple positions.

Now, at this point in time you wouldn’t have him dribbling the ball all the way up the court on a 3-on-1 fast break, but there’s not a lot I’d give him a red light on doing.

At a minimum, he’s a very good college prospect. With hard work, I can see Henry winding up as a top 10 player in the 2015 class.

Other potential factors such as good coaches, supportive family and older brothers who also play basketball (the oldest brother, Wally, is a freshman at Minnesota and will be able to share his D1 experience and Henry’s father played college ball for Marquette and Wisconsin) all seem to favor the likelihood of success for Henry Ellenson. He’s legit and the sky is the limit.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brandx

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2013, 11:08:02 AM »
Stone fouls out. Out of position frequently and doesn't move his feet on defense. Ellenson beat him on the bounce at will.
Gotta say after watchin' these cats head to head, I'm down with Henry. He's perfect for Buzz' offense. Would be a big like we haven't had in eons. Not a traditional back to the basket dude, but yet traditional. Like his basketball IQ. Sic'em Buzz.

Proves what I've always said. Those hacks at Duke, North Carolina, duke, UCLA, Georgetown, Arizona, Connecticut, Michigan State, etc. are idiots and wouldn't know a good player if they saw one.

It's one thing to praise Ellenson who could be a good player, but, c'mon, really???

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2013, 11:11:20 AM »
4everwarriors is not a talent scout, that's for sure.  Stevie Wonder could attend a Dominican game and see the talent in Diamond.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2013, 11:18:34 AM »
4everwarriors is not a talent scout, that's for sure.  Stevie Wonder could attend a Dominican game and see the talent in Diamond.
Have seen stone play several times, haven't seen ellenson but it sounds like they are completely different players. Why not get both let them compliment each other.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2013, 11:48:37 AM »
Too many sugar coated donuts, KW. Next time I'll check with you before posting truthful, valid observations. BTW, how many of your students are bein' held back this year 'cause they're underachievin'? Just as I thought. Let's just keep makin' excuses. Yep, everyone has an equal vote, a'ina?

Not sure that equates to anything I just said but to be honest quite a few of the students on my caseload are behind on credits. That's why I have to adjust the IEP several times a year to make sure they are in classes the can succeed in.  On a positive note I have 4 extraordinary students that are special Ed and 3.0 students in mainstream classes. One of whom who has done so well that she was the first student at my HS to have her special Ed services discontinued.   
But FYI. Diamond sounds like he reads everything like most 16 year olds do and I would not put it past anyone to write off a school cause their fan base does not stroke their egos.  Lets at least wait until he chosen a different school to bash him; you know the badger way!  Also never questioned your scouting abilities  just said that you should not trash a possible recruits
And yes I as most people do love sugar donuts but I have a pre diabetic condition that has put the kabosh on sugar donuts.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2013, 11:55:27 AM »

Lots of guys have talent, lots of "talent evaluators" miss on talented guys...Roseboro, Mbao, etc just in our own program recently. 

Maymon had talent, but that doesn't mean you get all the talent that is there. 

Plenty of blue blood programs have missed on talent over the years as well.   Usually not because the kids aren't talented, but they don't bring the ethic to maximize (or they do something really stupid off the court to negate it all).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »
Have seen stone play several times, haven't seen ellenson but it sounds like they are completely different players. Why not get both let them compliment each other.

Marquette is recruiting both with that exact thinking in mind.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2013, 12:03:23 PM »
i don't believe you can compare the two.  they are two different types of player/positions at this point.  ellenson seems to be a little more developed at his position/shooting foward, but stone, with the right attitude, coaching, etc could very well develop into something special.  as many will say, it's hard to evaluate heart.
don't...don't don't don't don't

john31

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2013, 12:16:45 PM »
Check with Buzz. He is the man.

On the ESPN page it says he has offers from a bunch of schools absent among those is Wisconsin. I have no idea how up to date or how accurate that information is, can anyone give a little more color as to his recruiting? I know it is a little early for him to get serious, he is a Jr (2015) correct?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2013, 12:20:41 PM »

On the ESPN page it says he has offers from a bunch of schools absent among those is Wisconsin. I have no idea how up to date or how accurate that information is, can anyone give a little more color as to his recruiting? I know it is a little early for him to get serious, he is a Jr (2015) correct?

He has an offer from both.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2013, 12:29:29 PM »
Lots of guys have talent, lots of "talent evaluators" miss on talented guys...Roseboro, Mbao, etc just in our own program recently. 

Maymon had talent, but that doesn't mean you get all the talent that is there. 

Plenty of blue blood programs have missed on talent over the years as well.   Usually not because the kids aren't talented, but they don't bring the ethic to maximize (or they do something really stupid off the court to negate it all).

Comparing guys recruited as total projects (Mbao and Roseboro) or even a guy like Maymon with Diamond Stone (at worst top 10 in his class) is silly.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2013, 12:46:25 PM »
Not sure that equates to anything I just said but to be honest quite a few of the students on my caseload are behind on credits. That's why I have to adjust the IEP several times a year to make sure they are in classes the can succeed in.  On a positive note I have 4 extraordinary students that are special Ed and 3.0 students in mainstream classes. One of whom who has done so well that she was the first student at my HS to have her special Ed services discontinued.   
But FYI. Diamond sounds like he reads everything like most 16 year olds do and I would not put it past anyone to write off a school cause their fan base does not stroke their egos.  Lets at least wait until he chosen a different school to bash him; you know the badger way!  Also never questioned your scouting abilities  just said that you should not trash a possible recruits
And yes I as most people do love sugar donuts but I have a pre diabetic condition that has put the kabosh on sugar donuts.

Go grain free, partner.

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2013, 12:52:57 PM »

You read all of my critique, right? Never said the kid doesn't have talent. Sure didn't bring it last night. I stand by my opinions. Gotta be sure he's OKG. Some like chicken. Some like feathers.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2013, 12:59:06 PM »

Yes - a 2015. WI has offered.. just looking at ESPN now.. some others not on there include.. I4, Michigan State, Purdue, Creighton, Oregon...

UNC and others have watched... IIRC correctly, Georgetown was first, with Iowa State and Marquette there early as well (i.e.,.. I think that was spring of 2012).

Buzz and many others have visited Rice Lake and the MU staff have taken in a lot of his games.

His 16U teammate this past summer, Marshawn Wilson, is worth a look also. 15U teammate two summers ago and D1 Minnesota standout Amir Coffey (2016) also is a stud.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2013, 01:01:35 PM »
Yes - a 2015. WI has offered.. just looking at ESPN now.. some others not on there include.. I4, Michigan State, Purdue, Creighton, Oregon...

UNC and others have watched... IIRC correctly, Georgetown was first, with Iowa State and Marquette there early as well (i.e.,.. I think that was spring of 2012).

Buzz and many others have visited Rice Lake and the MU staff have taken in a lot of his games.

His 16U teammate this past summer, Marshawn Wilson, is worth a look also. 15U teammate two summers ago and D1 Minnesota standout Amir Coffey (2016) also is a stud.

Any idea what he's thinking?  Does Minnesota have an advantage because of his brother?  Does Wisconsin have an advantage because of his dad?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2013, 05:45:26 PM »

You read all of my critique, right? Never said the kid doesn't have talent. Sure didn't bring it last night. I stand by my opinions. Gotta be sure he's OKG. Some like chicken. Some like feathers.

I don't like your posts because they bring in too much negativity (L=Lazy?) and these kids read the boards.  Stone's change in body the last two years shows that he's done a lot of work away from games.

Per Mark Miller's twitter, Neenah beat Rice Lake and Ellenson had 34 points and 14 rebounds.  Very, very good player and I'm not denying that he had a better game last night.  Diamond Stone with 16 points and 6 dunks in the first half tonight.  

The kid who MU fans might want to follow is 6-10 Neenah junior Matt Heldt from Neenah.  He had 25 points and 8 rebounds against Rice Lake todayu and is a kid who's still developing physically.  Very good friend of Noskowiak and Buzz was watching closely yesterday.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:54:05 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2013, 05:52:23 PM »
Comparing guys recruited as total projects (Mbao and Roseboro) or even a guy like Maymon with Diamond Stone (at worst top 10 in his class) is silly.

Point is that in a day and age with limited scholarships, offering them to "total projects" doesn't really happen that much anymore.  Can't afford to do it.

The other point I was trying to make is services can be wrong and coaches can be as well.  Some kids just don't develop in college, don't have the work ethic, or whatever.

Trust me, I'm not saying anything negative about this kid.  Who knows how he will do.  However, the same is true that there are no guarantees he will be great either.  You just never know.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1612144-ranking-the-10-biggest-ncaa-basketball-recruiting-busts-in-the-past-decade/page/11
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:57:06 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2013, 06:18:14 PM »
I don't like your posts because they bring in too much negativity (L=Lazy?) and these kids read the boards.  Stone's change in body the last two years shows that he's done a lot of work away from games.

Per Mark Miller's twitter, Neenah beat Rice Lake and Ellenson had 34 points and 14 rebounds.  Very, very good player and I'm not denying that he had a better game last night.  Diamond Stone with 16 points and 6 dunks in the first half tonight.  

The kid who MU fans might want to follow is 6-10 Neenah junior Matt Heldt from Neenah.  He had 25 points and 8 rebounds against Rice Lake todayu and is a kid who's still developing physically.  Very good friend of Noskowiak and Buzz was watching closely yesterday.

Fair reply. Will agree on Stone's body change. Works out at Athlete Performance in The Quon and it shows. Frankly, there's enough room at MU for both Ellenson and Stone. Then look out.
Heldt may eventually be better than both.

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2013, 07:23:58 PM »
Any idea what he's thinking?  Does Minnesota have an advantage because of his brother?  Does Wisconsin have an advantage because of his dad?

From what I have seen, you have identified the two leaders for Ellenson at this point, although I'm not sure how much father and brother enter into it.  I have read that Ellenson' father holds no ill will toward MU, and wouldn't urge Henry away from them due to his bad experience under Dukiet.  Rice Lake is located between Minnesota and Madison (closer to Minn), so he might want to play closer to home.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brandx

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2013, 08:28:04 PM »

The other point I was trying to make is services can be wrong and coaches can be as well.  Some kids just don't develop in college, don't have the work ethic, or whatever.

Quinn Buckner was the perfect example of this - he was basically the same player as a junior in high school as he was in the pros - obviously more refined but his game was no different. He was the same bad shooter in the NBA that he was in high school. But in high school, he controlled everything - in college still pretty good, and just another guy in the NBA.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2013, 11:54:32 PM »
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2013, 09:26:47 AM »
Rice Lake is located between Minnesota and Madison (closer to Minn), so he might want to play closer to home.

Rice lake is about an hour directly north of Eau Claire, about 1.5 hours NE of The Cities.
That is a long ways from Madison.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2013, 10:39:52 AM »
Quinn Buckner was the perfect example of this - he was basically the same player as a junior in high school as he was in the pros - obviously more refined but his game was no different. He was the same bad shooter in the NBA that he was in high school. But in high school, he controlled everything - in college still pretty good, and just another guy in the NBA.

Quinn Buckner was better than "pretty good" at Indiana.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2013, 12:31:05 PM »
Ellenson is more advanced than Stone. More basketball skills.