Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz's Radio Show Comments  (Read 15545 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Buzz's Radio Show Comments
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 12:54:35 AM »
Great point!  Any coach who gets paid more than 99% of the population should have no obligation to give his team the best chance to win at this extremely lofty salary where a nation of fans also count on him as well.

Tomorrow I'm telling my boss I'm canceling UPS and FedEx for a delivery service that costs twice as much and is twice as slow because I think they have a superior attitude and spirit.

It doesn't matter if the FedEx performed like Junior, Vander and DJO. It also doesn't matter that FedEx now has Mayo, JJJ, Dawson like replacements. I'm still switching to Jake, Derrick & Juan service because I'm confident that the NCAA committee will overlook the fact that we have no quality wins and will instead focus on our values and our record from 2011 and 2012 when we were in the AP top 15 going into the tournament.

It's been statistically shown several times that derrick is basically performing as well as junior did.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 01:04:29 AM »
Right, and the exact same approach that he's taken every year since hes been here hasn't worked at all, has it? Not sure if you've been paying attention, but it seems to me the selection committee has looked at MU rather favorably the past few years. Buzz should definitely change the way he goes about things...on your recommendation of course.

10 years ago (or more) an MU team "on the bubble" is almost automatically out because most people think Marquette is in Northern Michigan and there's only 3 people up there pissed off if we're out.

Now, an MU team on the bubble is IN because of 3 things:
a)  Buzz
b)  On any given day, a Buzz team can beat anyone
c)  Hustle, drive, energy, whatever you want to call it.
We may need that advantage this year.  I hope not... but we may need it.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 02:21:04 AM »
If I had a dollar....
This one I will agree, that was baiting
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 02:26:22 AM »
I'm a little confused by some of Buzz's comments. He says that Jamil isn't "hardcore" all the time. To me this is indicating a lack of intensity. But he also preaches that the 5 toughest start. Yet Jamil still starts while the other 4 in the list of most talented players come off the bench despite showing more intensity. Just seems odd.

But I agree with MU82. Starting means jack. It's all about playing time
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 06:13:53 AM »
Great point!  Any coach who gets paid more than 99% of the population should have no obligation to give his team the best chance to win at this extremely lofty salary where a nation of fans also count on him as well.

Yeah, I sure wish we'd fire this bum and get a coach who could get us into the second weekend of the NCAA tournament more often!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 06:41:40 AM »
This one I will agree, that was baiting

Keep watching Eagle--soon there will be more than just one you agree with---closer to most if not all.

The Sultan of Silly

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 08:02:47 AM »
It's been statistically shown several times that derrick is basically performing as well as junior did.
Those pesky statistics never get manipulated or lie. Check one other statistic MU wins and losses and their current ranking compared to when Junior was a junior or senior at this time. Also it's hard to quantify the statistical impact of teams laying off the point guard and forcing him to shoot from the outside and/or double team other players due to the lack of a threat on a team's offense.

edit: to remove pointless political commentary
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:18:24 AM by rocky_warrior »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 08:16:45 AM »

Tomorrow I'm telling my boss I'm canceling UPS and FedEx for a delivery service that costs twice as much and is twice as slow because I think they have a superior attitude and spirit.

It doesn't matter if the FedEx performed like Junior, Vander and DJO. It also doesn't matter that FedEx now has Mayo, JJJ, Dawson like replacements. I'm still switching to Jake, Derrick & Juan service because I'm confident that the NCAA committee will overlook the fact that we have no quality wins and will instead focus on our values and our record from 2011 and 2012 when we were in the AP top 15 going into the tournament.

Your analogy is quite a stretch.  It isn't as if our best players aren't playing the lion's share of the minutes.  They simply aren't starting.

The Sultan of Silly

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 08:23:02 AM »
Yeah, I sure wish we'd fire this bum and get a coach who could get us into the second weekend of the NCAA tournament more often!
We live in a what have you done for me lately society. Buzz has been great and will probably be great again but this year he has been stubborn and stupid at times and ultimately a coach like him who gets big money to be the leader and face of the program is paid to win bball games and not lose them.  This team is very talented so we can't reward him with a rebuilding year excuse either.

Many coaches who have won championships have later gone on to be fired (Brian Billick, Mike Ditka, Gene Chizek, etc.). Doesn't make them a horrible coach all the sudden but just means they were no longer getting the wins they used to get and you get paid to win games in the moment and not just what your résumé states you did in the past.

I think Buzz has a chance to be a future legend and win championships but doesn't mean he has been wrong at times this year either. This team could go on to the Final 4 this year as they have that much potential but they won't be getting there by not getting our best/most talented players the lion share of the minutes.  I also understand that you can't coddle great players and not make them work hard every day and be accountable. However you walk a fine line when the drop off in talent is as severe as it is between your starting backcourt and the guys who get less minutes coming off the bench.

The fact that Buzz got so testy just means it's a sore subject as he is probably hearing it from his players, his assistants, the fans and maybe even from his wife at night.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 10:04:45 AM by The Sultan of Silly »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2013, 08:32:36 AM »
Goodness did this thread blow up since the last time I checked.

I'll say this, Buzz has always been about the toughest starting and getting at least respectable minutes if you've paid attention.  And he's coached us consistently deep into the tournament on runs that apart from the 77 championship rival Al's legacy.

Is anyone on this board really going to suggest that they know a better way for us?  Really?

The Sultan of Silly

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 08:38:24 AM »
Your analogy is quite a stretch.  It isn't as if our best players aren't playing the lion's share of the minutes.  They simply aren't starting.
Like in the OSU game when he shortened the rotation and Deonte Burton was the only freshman to get off the bench and for only like six minutes at that. The end result of that fiasco was 35 total points, 19,000 fans given nothing to cheer for and national tv embarrassment for the new conference.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 08:42:16 AM »
Well there maybe games that it takes playing the most talented players to win (see SDSU, ASU).   Unless it just about rewarding the hardest workers, not sure the NCAA committee uses that criteria when selecting teams.
We may of lost to ASU, because Mayo did not play due to ankle sprain. We may of lost to San Diego St, because Gardner was sick. We may of lost to UW, because Mayo was suspended. Throw in Taylor's knee problems. Three losses are not due to playing less talented players, but are due to injury/illness/suspension of key players.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 09:03:11 AM »
We live in a what have you done for me lately society.

There is certainly a segment of our society who feel and act that way, just as there's a certain segment of this board who feel and act that way. Pretty vacant philosophy to live by IMO, but if it works for you by all means carry on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »
We live in a what have you done for me lately society. Buzz has been great and will probably be great again but this year he has been stubborn and stupid at times and ultimately a coach like him who gets big money to be the leader and face of the program is paid to win bball games and not lose them.  This team is very talented so we can't reward him with a rebuilding year excuse either.

Many coaches who have won championships have later gone on to be fired (Brian Billick, Mike Ditka, Gene Chizek, etc.). Doesn't make them a horrible coach all the sudden but just means they were no longer getting the wins they used to get and you get paid to win games in the moment and not just what your résumé states you did in the past.

I think Buzz has a chance to be a future legend and win championships but doesn't mean he has been wrong at this times this year either. This team could go on to the Final 4 this year as they have that much potential but they won't be getting there by not getting our best/most talented players the lion share of the minutes.  I also understand that you can't coddle great players and not make them work hard every day and be accountable. However you walk a fine line when the drop off in talent is as severe as it is between your starting backcourt and the guys who get less minutes coming off the bench.

The fact that Buzz got so testy just means it's a sore subject as he is probably hearing it from his players, his assistants, the fans and maybe even from his wife at night.  ;)

Fire the bum and bring in one of the hot young studs who win big-time every single year. I mean, Shaka Smart got VCU all the way to the second round each of the last two seasons -- try THAT, Buzz! -- and he has them at 9-3 this year with impressive wins over Winthrop, Wofford and (in OT) Eastern Kentucky!! Yeah, that's the ticket!

Buzz? Fire the bum! We haven't even won the national title under him yet!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 09:15:02 AM »
Like in the OSU game when he shortened the rotation and Deonte Burton was the only freshman to get off the bench and for only like six minutes at that. The end result of that fiasco was 35 total points, 19,000 fans given nothing to cheer for and national tv embarrassment for the new conference.

well,   at least you got your name right.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 09:17:10 AM »
One thing I am ABSOLUTELY SURE OF is that Buzz wants to win EVERY GAME and WIN NOW.  Everything he does is ultimately based on that.  If he is starting Jake it is because he believes that the resulting modivation or team chemistry or whatever is more likely to create a situation where he wins and wins now.  Sometimes as a long term fan I feel that maybe we would be better off playing the younger guys more because we'll be better next year.  But history has shown that Buzz always plays to win now.  We may have opinions that playing this guy or sitting this guy would make the team better but in Buzz's mind he is doing what gives the current team the best chance to win.  I sometimes question what he does (which incidently is my right as a fan) but ultmately his plan is more likely to be right than any of ours and so I'll just go with it and hope it turns out right.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 09:57:21 AM »
We may of lost to ASU, because Mayo did not play due to ankle sprain. We may of lost to San Diego St, because Gardner was sick. We may of lost to UW, because Mayo was suspended. Throw in Taylor's knee problems. Three losses are not due to playing less talented players, but are due to injury/illness/suspension of key players.
We didn't may of anything, but we may have.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2013, 10:00:41 AM »
I sometimes question what he does (which incidently is my right as a fan) but ultmately his plan is more likely to be right than any of ours and so I'll just go with it and hope it turns out right.

This is my general approach with everything Buzz does.

He's not infallible, but his track record is good, and we've all lived through the 5 year evaluation period.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2013, 10:04:16 AM »
Begging for it again! Brings up the Buyout Boy nonstop.

I didn't mention anyone by name because it's more than one coach, but it does play into what I've always said....not ok for another coach  <fill in number of coaches here slammed> to do it, but its okie-dokie for ours to do it.   You can fill in any other coach you want, those other coaches have been slammed here for doing it.  Interesting

The Sultan of Silly

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2013, 10:11:13 AM »
There is certainly a segment of our society who feel and act that way, just as there's a certain segment of this board who feel and act that way. Pretty vacant philosophy to live by IMO, but if it works for you by all means carry on.
Pretty judgemental yourself aren't you Lenny. If someone doesn't think like you they are vacant? 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 10:13:50 AM by The Sultan of Silly »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »
This is my general approach with everything Buzz does.

He's not infallible, but his track record is good, and we've all lived through the 5 year evaluation period.

I agree as well, though I would say the jury is still out as to playing Jake as a starter.  MU still lost to OSU, @ASU, SDSU (semi-neutral) and @UW.  So, I'm not sure having Jake playing starter minutes has given MU a better chance of winning, though I'm willing to recognize that 3 games were on the road and that MU was simply not ready for OSU regardless of Jake's performance.  Upcoming games in Vegas and Omaha will give us a better view of how things are evolving.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2013, 10:14:46 AM »
Because saying the hardest working kids in practice earn starting positions is the same as telling people your coaching/game plan was perfect but your players screwed up. Sounds objective to me.

Or saying one doesn't work hard enough....some here view that as a slam....if said by any number of other coaches.

Look, I actually agree with you, certain kids need different motivations.

This is why when people get bent when other coaches call out kids....eh....maybe that is what they need.  

For the others.....
Not sure why people missed the teal, missed the word coaches, but then again people read what they want to read whether the actual words are there or not.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:18:48 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2013, 10:20:10 AM »
I agree as well, though I would say the jury is still out as to playing Jake as a starter.  MU still lost to OSU, @ASU, SDSU (semi-neutral) and @UW.  So, I'm not sure having Jake playing starter minutes has given MU a better chance of winning, though I'm willing to recognize that 3 games were on the road and that MU was simply not ready for OSU regardless of Jake's performance.  Upcoming games in Vegas and Omaha will give us a better view of how things are evolving.

Yea, but I guess for me there is a methodology to Buzz's madness.

I'm sure I could sit here and shake my first about Jake starting, but I also have to defer to the guy who gets paid millions to manage the team. Buzz might be crazy, but he ain't stupid. Jake is starting for a reason(s) (motivation, he's the best player, he's the most consistent, etc.)

At some point, Todd and/or JaJuan might take over the role, but for now, Jake is the guy.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2013, 10:39:37 AM »
Well there maybe games that it takes playing the most talented players to win (see SDSU, ASU).   Unless it just about rewarding the hardest workers, not sure the NCAA committee uses that criteria when selecting teams.

Talent in Division I can be overrated when the "talented ones" are playing undisciplined ball and/or coasting.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2013, 10:41:22 AM »
Pretty judgemental yourself aren't you Lenny. If someone doesn't think like you they are vacant? 

I also think that Sharia Law is brutal, communism on any major scale becomes totalitarian and apartheid is evil. Those are judgements, opinions that millions disagree with. Everyone is judgemental, has opinions. As I said, you believe in living the "what have you done for me lately" philosophy, go for it. I also believe in freedom of thought and expression.

feedback