Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz's Radio Show Comments  (Read 15537 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Buzz's Radio Show Comments
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2013, 03:59:02 PM »

Average RPI of first 11 games of this year based on current RPI: 162
Average RPI of first 11 games of last year based on final 2013 RPI: 147

Cool. Thanks for the research.

Their numbers are pretty close, but I would still like to see Derrick's minutes reduced. I think his usage has been too high which has led to a good deal of inefficiency. I think he could put up similar numbers in 25-28min. instead of 38 minutes.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2013, 04:00:20 PM »

Which I have repeatedly acknowledged.  But for the sake of consistency, here is a comparison of where they were 11 games in each of the respective seasons:

JC 12-13:   290 min, 35/82 = 42.6%, 98 pts, 53 asst, 29 TO, 1.1 A/T, 32 rebs.
DW 13-14:  325 min, 21/54 = 38.9%, 58 pts, 46 asst, 16 TO, 2.5 A/T, 44 rebs.

So Junior was better.  He scored more, at a higher percentage and had more assists.  Derrick has less turnovers, a better ratio, and more rebounds.

But that doesn't mean Derrick is bad.

Which is exact opposite of the post I responded to:

Actually, the stats to this point say he is better than Junior was last year.

But keep saying it and someday it might be true.  If only you believe!!!

So actualy, when you look at the stats, they don't say he is better.  You could argue that there isn't that much difference.  You could argue that in some statisical areas Derrick is better, while in other Junior is better.

But I don't think you can't make the blanket statement "Actually, the stats at this point say Derrick is better than Junior was last year."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2013, 04:01:54 PM »
I was comparing Derrick's season to date with Junior's full season because that is the only information I had.  I then took the first 11 games since I had time to look into it more deeply.

And you know that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2013, 04:02:14 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the research.

Their numbers are pretty close, but I would still like to see Derrick's minutes reduced. I think his usage has been too high which has led to a good deal of inefficiency. I think he could put up similar numbers in 25-28min. instead of 38 minutes.

Agreed completely.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2013, 04:57:21 PM »
I was comparing Derrick's season to date with Junior's full season because that is the only information I had.  I then took the first 11 games since I had time to look into it more deeply.

And you know that.

Thanks for compiling the data Sultan.  Pretty clear Junior was better given that he played 35 less minutes, and yet outscored Derrick 98 to 58 and out assisted him 53-36.  Nonetheless, it isn't a HUGE disparity.  But Junior was a much better threat, and better in the open court, no doubt about it.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2013, 04:59:56 PM »
One other thing of note - Buzz said a few times last year by this point that Derrick really should be/deserved to be the starting point guard - but Junior is his guy, and he's gonna ride him.

Interestingly, if Buzz thought Junior wasn't worthy of being the starter last year, ultimately, yet clearly as the numbers show, he's exceeded Derrick by a fairly decent margin - you've got to think Buzz can't be too pleased at this point with the results - which is why we are starting to see less minutes for Derrick - I think.  Creighton game will further define if that is what's going on, or if Buzz is just trying to get other guys PT and other looks against the cupcakes.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2013, 05:04:56 PM »
One other thing of note - Buzz said a few times last year by this point that Derrick really should be/deserved to be the starting point guard - but Junior is his guy, and he's gonna ride him.

Interestingly, if Buzz thought Junior wasn't worthy of being the starter last year, ultimately, yet clearly as the numbers show, he's exceeded Derrick by a fairly decent margin - you've got to think Buzz can't be too pleased at this point with the results - which is why we are starting to see less minutes for Derrick - I think.  Creighton game will further define if that is what's going on, or if Buzz is just trying to get other guys PT and other looks against the cupcakes.

Alright, you win.

I can't begin to understand the logic pretzel you have twisted yourself into.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2013, 05:45:27 PM »
Thanks for compiling the data Sultan.  Pretty clear Junior was better given that he played 35 less minutes, and yet outscored Derrick 98 to 58 and out assisted him 53-36.  Nonetheless, it isn't a HUGE disparity.  But Junior was a much better threat, and better in the open court, no doubt about it.

Actually the assist disparity is 53-46, not 53-36. Throw in Junior's much higher TO rate and the combined stat is a slight edge to Derrick. Add in scoring, though, and Junior is the better offensive player. As Derrick is by far a better defender and a better rebounder, I'd say overall it's about a push - and that's with Derrick being forced to play too many minutes.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2013, 06:05:09 PM »
Alright, you win.

I can't begin to understand the logic pretzel you have twisted yourself into.

Cognitive dissonance is strong with him.  ;)

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2013, 11:14:11 PM »
I joined a little late, but what I heard was as follows:

Deonte: is a stud and doesn't think he is as much of a stud as Buzz thinks he is a stud or the rest of his teammates think he is a stud, but is gaining more confidence. 

Jamil Wilson: needs to be involved in every play.  He had no defensive rebounds and only 1 offensive rebound in the first half and one in the second in the Ball State game.  Buzz was clearly miffed about that.  Said Jamil is more talented than Jimmy Butler, Jae and Lazar, but those guys were more hardcore all the time.  He has to get to that point.  Noted that we have "go get guys" who are to go get rebounds and "go guys" who are to clear out of the way, and right now Jamil (a go get guy) is averaging the same number of rebounds as De. Wilson (a go guy).  He needs to be involved in every play.

Jake Thomas: thinks he has had a below average performance as a starter, but that he earns the right to start because he works hard every day and plays to the scouting report.  No one has come close to taking his starting job away from him.  Would like JJ to continue to grow, Todd to be consistently good so that they could play more, but Jake is doing what he needs to do.  Starters are picked by who earns it in practice.  Surprised that he hasn't made more shots and thinks that he will.  He got Vander's scholarship.

Got pissed at Homer for asking an Allen Iverson like question about why he is not starting the most talented guys.  Buzz admitted that the most talented guys on the team are Jamil, Davante, Todd, JJ and Deonte and of those, only 1 starts.  The others have to step it up and ring the bell each and every day to earn the right to start.  Really heated about that type of questioning and said what would our culture be if we didn't start the guys who earned it day in and day out. 

Davante: most talented offensive player he has coached, but isn't doing the things to earn starting.  Said he told Davante that he is never going to beat out Otule at the 5 to start, so he needs to try to start at the 4 and simply isn't able to show he deserves it (noting he can't make morning practice, afternoon weight lifting, film review and morning practice the following morning like he should). 

Best Xmas gift: was a huge Earl Campbell fan and got a signed Houston Oilers helmet and a picture with Earl.

I don't know why I am just thinking about this now and am not sure how accurate my memory is, but there were a couple of other interesting statements made by Buzz during his weekly radio show.  Buzz mentioned that before IUPUI he wrote down on a wipe board what each player needed to do in order for MU to win the game and then followed-up with each player on those items.  Before the Ball State game he decided not to write on the wipe board and instead to have each player come up and tell him and the team what they needed to do for MU to win the game.  Buzz then added to what they put down what he thought they needed to do.  He said for the New Mexico game they were putting a video montage together showing what the players said they had to do to win the game, what Buzz and the coaches said they had to do, and what the players actually did in order to help continue to drill into everyone what they have to do in each game.  I only pass it on as an FYI.  My impression was that Buzz was using this example to show what kinds of things the coaching staff are doing to get the players to figure out their roles on the team and to show that they are trying a lot of different approaches until it sinks in.  I also am sure its hard to figure out that roll when it seems like different players step up each game or every other game.   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2013, 08:27:41 AM »
Actually the assist disparity is 53-46, not 53-36. Throw in Junior's much higher TO rate and the combined stat is a slight edge to Derrick. Add in scoring, though, and Junior is the better offensive player. As Derrick is by far a better defender and a better rebounder, I'd say overall it's about a push - and that's with Derrick being forced to play too many minutes.

Yeah, that is why I gave Junior simply a slight edge.  Derrick is also playing too many minutes because Junior had an adequate back up and Derrick doesn't.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2013, 09:02:17 AM »

Yeah, that is why I gave Junior simply a slight edge.  Derrick is also playing too many minutes because Junior had an adequate back up and Derrick doesn't.

Kind of funny because Dawson has been comparably "good/adequate" as Derrick has been - but sure, we can use the excuse due to Derrick playing too many minutes his production has suffered.  Might carry some weight if his 2nd half performances were worse than his 1st half.  Most players tend to play better playing long stretches of minutes - much easier to get into a rhythm and flow of the game, versus playing 3 minutes stints sporadically.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2013, 09:14:01 AM »

Assuming that Mayo, Du. Wilson, Dawson, Ja. Wilson, JJJ, etc. are not adequate.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2013, 09:15:55 AM »

Given the minutes Derrick is playing, it doesn't seem that Buzz thinks they are.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2013, 09:19:03 AM »
Kind of funny because Dawson has been comparably "good/adequate" as Derrick has been

No...he hasn't been.  Derrick averaged 13.1 mpg last year entirely as Junior's back up.  Dawson is at about 9.8 right now, and that will likely drop once the rotation is tightened, and he oftentimes hasn't been playing the point.

but sure, we can use the excuse due to Derrick playing too many minutes his production has suffered.

I wasn't using it as an excuse.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2013, 09:20:40 AM »

Or Derrick is in better shape and is physically capable of playing longer stretches even if his production falls.  It is possible that Buzz had to play Derrick some to spell Junior solely, because Junior couldn't play longer.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2013, 11:00:42 AM »

Given the minutes Derrick is playing, it doesn't seem that Buzz thinks they are.
Nor do you from your post. And of course, whatever the slurpers "think" Buzz is "thinking" is always good.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2013, 11:04:40 AM »
Nor do you from your post. And of course, whatever the slurpers "think" Buzz is "thinking" is always good.

I judge that Buzz has a better handle on who should be his back up point guard than either you or I do because of his proven track record as a successful head coach in a major conference.  That doesn't make him infallible but I certainly am going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2013, 01:22:36 PM »

Mayo=terrible handle
Duane=hurt
Dawson=hasn't shown that much
J Wilson=solid but needed at other positions
JJJ=handle might get there but looks out of control right now
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »
Mayo=terrible handle
Duane=hurt
Dawson=hasn't shown that much
J Wilson=solid but needed at other positions
JJJ=handle might get there but looks out of control right now
De. Wilson=cannot shoot; cannot shoot FT's; cannot score

Don't agree that Ja. Wilson is needed at other positions, but am not advocating him as a point either. The poster said there is no adequate backup, you just said Ja. Wilson was solid, so he could be according to your analysis. Besides where is he needed elsewhere for those minutes: You have Otule/OX at 5; you have Ox at the 4 along with Anderson and Burton who can slide over there; You have Anderson, JJJ, and Burton for the three--after all those guys are all switchable. So you could use Ja. Wilson/Dawson/JJJ and Mayo for 12 plus minutes at the Point. Saying there are no backups is incorrect.

brandx

« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2013, 01:56:15 PM »
Kind of funny because Dawson has been comparably "good/adequate" as Derrick has been - but sure, we can use the excuse due to Derrick playing too many minutes his production has suffered.  Might carry some weight if his 2nd half performances were worse than his 1st half.  Most players tend to play better playing long stretches of minutes - much easier to get into a rhythm and flow of the game, versus playing 3 minutes stints sporadically.

That's quite a stretch considering that most of Dawson's minutes have come against cupcakes. I agree that we have issues at PG, but, as a freshman, Dawson isn't the answer.

I see many things I like about him - but he is not ready for more minutes in conference play....yet.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2013, 02:01:51 PM »
De. Wilson=cannot shoot; cannot shoot FT's; cannot score

Don't agree that Ja. Wilson is needed at other positions, but am not advocating him as a point either. The poster said there is no adequate backup, you just said Ja. Wilson was solid, so he could be according to your analysis. Besides where is he needed elsewhere for those minutes: You have Otule/OX at 5; you have Ox at the 4 along with Anderson and Burton who can slide over there; You have Anderson, JJJ, and Burton for the three--after all those guys are all switchable. So you could use Ja. Wilson/Dawson/JJJ and Mayo for 12 plus minutes at the Point. Saying there are no backups is incorrect.

I would say that only Jamil is an adequate backup at this point. But he is much better at the 3/4 than he is at the 1. So I would rather have Derrick and Jamil out at the same time.

Dawson I would call a serviceable backup.

The others I don't think should ever play the point (unless they really start to practice and train in at the position)

But yes you are right, there are others who can play the position
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.