Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz's Radio Show Comments  (Read 15548 times)

Logi4three

• Team Captain
Buzz's Radio Show Comments
« on: December 18, 2013, 07:01:28 PM »
I joined a little late, but what I heard was as follows:

Deonte: is a stud and doesn't think he is as much of a stud as Buzz thinks he is a stud or the rest of his teammates think he is a stud, but is gaining more confidence. 

Jamil Wilson: needs to be involved in every play.  He had no defensive rebounds and only 1 offensive rebound in the first half and one in the second in the Ball State game.  Buzz was clearly miffed about that.  Said Jamil is more talented than Jimmy Butler, Jae and Lazar, but those guys were more hardcore all the time.  He has to get to that point.  Noted that we have "go get guys" who are to go get rebounds and "go guys" who are to clear out of the way, and right now Jamil (a go get guy) is averaging the same number of rebounds as De. Wilson (a go guy).  He needs to be involved in every play.

Jake Thomas: thinks he has had a below average performance as a starter, but that he earns the right to start because he works hard every day and plays to the scouting report.  No one has come close to taking his starting job away from him.  Would like JJ to continue to grow, Todd to be consistantly good so that they could play more, but Jake is doing what he needs to do.  Starters are picked by who earns it in practice.  Surprised that he hasn't made more shots and thinks that he will.  He got Vander's scholarship.

Got pissed at Homer for asking an Allen Iverson like question about why he is not starting the most talented guys.  Buzz admitted that the most talented guys on the team are Jamil, Davante, Todd, JJ and Deonte and of those, only 1 starts.  The others have to step it up and ring the bell each and every day to earn the right to start.  Really heated about that type of questioning and said what would our culture be if we didn't start the guys who earned it day in and day out. 

Davante: most talented offensive player he has coached, but isn't doing the things to earn starting.  Said he told Davante that he is never going to beat out Otule at the 5 to start, so he needs to try to start at the 4 and simply isn't able to show he deserves it (noting he can't make morning practice, afternoon weight lifting, film review and morning practice the following morning like he should). 

Best Xmas gift: was a huge Earl Campbell fan and got a signed Houston Oilers helmet and a picture with Earl.

jsglow

• All American
Re: Buzz's Radio Show Comments
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 07:15:47 PM »
Spot on.

Totally respected the fact that Buzz believes those who work the hardest and bring it every day have earned the right to get recognized by students, alumni and long time season ticket holders via player introductions.

Think back to MU Basketball Revealed when Buzz was screaming at the guys during Boot Camp about the fact that the hardest workers play.  "It doesn't matter how good you are Vander!!  You've got to be the toughest to play for me.  The toughest 5 play.  No exceptions!"

Funny.  He coaches 'em up the same way every year.  Some can't survive.  If enough do, we dance deep.  Book it.

Tugg Speedman

• All American

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 07:21:56 PM »
Buzz admitted that the most talented guys on the team are Jamil, Davante, Todd, JJ and Deonte and of those, only 1 starts.  The others have to step it up and ring the bell each and every day to earn the right to start.  Really heated about that type of questioning and said what would our culture be if we didn't start the guys who earned it day in and day out. 

How concerned should we be that only one of the five best players are working hard enough in practice to earn a start?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 07:27:25 PM »
How concerned should we be that only one of the five best players are working hard enough in practice to earn a start?

Not concerned in the least. Once the games get going, the best players always play the most important minutes if they are bringing it.

It's a motivational thing, the carrot at the end of the stick. It's like Louis Gossett taunting "Mayonnaise." Hell, maybe Buzz should call Todd that!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 07:28:54 PM »
I wish it would shut up all the posters who whine about the best/most talented players starting. But this won't. Oh well.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 07:36:34 PM »

Remember that two are Frosh so I'm not worried.  Not to pick on Todd but does anyone really believe he's shown Buzz any reason to start him over Jake?

One other thing that was very interesting about Buzz' preparation over the last week.  There was a discussion about a classroom session where each player was challenged to describe what HE needed to bring to the team both in writing and in verbal presentation.  Later, Buzz supplemented that with other things he (Buzz) needed.  Now a mix-tape is being prepared for viewing in Las Vegas pointing out how (or how not) guys achieved those objectives.

Derrick was used as an example.  Take up the space when they sag defensively just like Homer said on radio, force contact and get to the line or force defensive rotation as you get to the hole.  You guys see Derrick's stat line last night in limited minutes?  I can picture Buzz rolling the projector forward and back a la Vince Lombardi.  "That's what I want!  That's what you said you'd deliver."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 07:52:53 PM »
I wish it would shut up all the posters who whine about the best/most talented players starting. But this won't. Oh well.

I wish he wouldn't throw his players under the bus like that by name   snicker snicker...like some other coaches do...snicker snicker

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 07:55:41 PM »
Hopefully he ended it with something along the lines of "What's your next dumb ass question"?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 07:59:03 PM »

Not at all concerned because it doesn't happen in a vacuum.  It depends on the relativity of it all.  If the less talent are bringing 10s and the talent is bringing 9 that's "fine".  If the talent is bringing a 4...that's not fine.  Relative to the team Buzz thinks the talent could do more.  Doesn't mean it's bad
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 08:01:38 PM »
+1
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 08:02:02 PM »
I wish he wouldn't throw his players under the bus like that by name   snicker snicker...like some other coaches do...snicker snicker

Because saying the hardest working kids in practice earn starting positions is the same as telling people your coaching/game plan was perfect but your players screwed up. Sounds objective to me.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 08:02:37 PM »

It will only perpetuate. It depends what kind of fan you want to be. Me personally, I want to see the most talented players get minutes, I really don't care if they are diving on the floor in practice. Within reason of course. I think it's great that Thomas works hard and probably is more dedicated than some, but he's a below average basketball player. It's likely the reason kids transfer, know they are more talented than those playing in front of them, but don't see the minutes.

Buzz always preaches about his priorities, with basketball being last....and that's how he recruits and coaches. So more power to him, he's trying to build men and faith that wins will follow.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 08:06:35 PM »
It will only perpetuate. It depends what kind of fan you want to be. Me personally, I want to see the most talented players get minutes, I really don't care if they are diving on the floor in practice. Within reason of course. I think it's great that Thomas works hard and probably is more dedicated than some, but he's a below average basketball player. It's likely the reason kids transfer, know they are more talented than those playing in front of them, but don't see the minutes.

Buzz always preaches about his priorities, with basketball being last....and that's how he recruits and coaches. So more power to him, he's trying to build men and faith that wins will follow.

Not starting isn't limiting the minutes of any of these guys. Like others have said, practice is determining who starts and talent is dictating who's on the court when the game's on the line. Sure, not starting could drive guys away, but to them I say good riddance.  Guys like Jamil and Davante understand their role in the system and thrive, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 08:14:16 PM »

Begging for it again! Brings up the Buyout Boy nonstop.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 08:21:54 PM »
Begging for it again! Brings up the Buyout Boy nonstop.

If I had a dollar....

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 08:26:29 PM »
It's likely the reason kids transfer, know they are more talented than those playing in front of them, but don't see the minutes.

Buzz always preaches about his priorities, with basketball being last....and that's how he recruits and coaches.

These two statements seem to be in conflict. If buzz preaches his priorities (including, one would think, how you earn minutes, start, etc.) while recruiting, then why would a player leave? The player should have known what he was getting himself into while he was being recruited.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 08:33:45 PM »
These two statements seem to be in conflict. If buzz preaches his priorities (including, one would think, how you earn minutes, start, etc.) while recruiting, then why would a player leave? The player should have known what he was getting himself into while he was being recruited.

You're assuming that a 17 to 19 year kid thinks the same way as a 50 year old man.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 08:44:47 PM »
You're assuming that a 17 to 19 year kid thinks the same way as a 50 year old man.

That's what I'm thinking. The kid probably does think he works hard, but it sounds like Marquette takes it to another level. Just a thought, I don't know any of the players or even seen a practice.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 08:46:57 PM »

No, he's assuming that the recruit and his family were listening when Buzz was recruiting them. Some aren't (see Tim Maymon). Even if they're real good (as Jeronne was), it doesn't end well.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 09:29:50 PM »
Not to pick on Todd but does anyone really believe he's shown Buzz any reason to start him over Jake?

Ahh....yes....he's a much more talented and productive player. Period.  But, Buzz has his principles, and Todd still isn't doing enough apparently to supplant Jake in that role.  However, I do believe when it comes gut check time, and in conference play - we'll see Todd playing more minutes than Jake....and more frequently at crunch time, than Jake.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 09:56:24 PM »
Jamil and Gardner came off the bench almost all last season. Did it matter?

Gardner comes off the bench this season. Does it matter?

Are we still on this?

Now let's talk playing time. That's a subject worth discussing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
Well there maybe games that it takes playing the most talented players to win (see SDSU, ASU).   Unless it just about rewarding the hardest workers, not sure the NCAA committee uses that criteria when selecting teams.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 10:20:52 PM »
Well there maybe games that it takes playing the most talented players to win (see SDSU, ASU).   Unless it just about rewarding the hardest workers, not sure the NCAA committee uses that criteria when selecting teams.

Right, and the exact same approach that he's taken every year since hes been here hasn't worked at all, has it? Not sure if you've been paying attention, but it seems to me the selection committee has looked at MU rather favorably the past few years. Buzz should definitely change the way he goes about things...on your recommendation of course.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:23:58 PM by NavinRJohnson »

The Sultan of Silly

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 11:44:37 PM »
Right, and the exact same approach that he's taken every year since hes been here hasn't worked at all, has it? Not sure if you've been paying attention, but it seems to me the selection committee has looked at MU rather favorably the past few years. Buzz should definitely change the way he goes about things...on your recommendation of course.
Great point!  Any coach who gets paid more than 99% of the population should have no obligation to give his team the best chance to win at this extremely lofty salary where a nation of fans also count on him as well.

Tomorrow I'm telling my boss I'm canceling UPS and FedEx for a delivery service that costs twice as much and is twice as slow because I think they have a superior attitude and spirit.

It doesn't matter if the FedEx performed like Junior, Vander and DJO. It also doesn't matter that FedEx now has Mayo, JJJ, Dawson like replacements. I'm still switching to Jake, Derrick & Juan service because I'm confident that the NCAA committee will overlook the fact that we have no quality wins and will instead focus on our values and our record from 2011 and 2012 when we were in the AP top 15 going into the tournament.