Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Derrick Moratorium  (Read 13625 times)

MU82

• All American
Derrick Moratorium
« on: December 09, 2013, 05:27:16 PM »
I am not going to make another comment about Derrick Wilson for the rest of 2013.

I'm even going to resist reading any threads with Derrick or PG in the title, either.

I don't want to tell others what to do, but I'm pretty sure we've covered it all. In my own case, it does me no good to get so negative about a college kid who is trying his hardest.

So these are my final words about Derrick at least through 11:59:59 Dec. 31, 2013.

We'll see how I feel when the new year dawns ... after the Creighton game.

Now, as for Jake ...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Derrick Moratorium
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »
Leaving yourself a wide chasm there though, 2.5 months after Dec. 31 to do some heavy damage.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 05:44:04 PM »
Thank you.  I have recently found myself even missing the Crean threads.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 05:46:15 PM »
Count me in and will add Thomas to mix as well. I want Duane and JJJ to be our topics of discussion next few months.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 06:21:53 PM »
I don't like to tell people that they can't post about a legitimate MU Hoops topic, but reading the threads, it certainly does feel like a recurring nightmare with 4-5 individuals involved.   Based on that, I'd hope some more posters could give the topic a rest for a bit.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 07:34:38 PM »
Okay....I'll sign the moratorium and give it a rest out of respect to the moderators of the board, and to Derrick - who from all I know is a very good kid, and is doing his best - which is all we can ask ultimately.

So, sorry for all of the negative remarks I've made regarding Derrick - it isn't usually in my character to be hyper critical of anyone or anything in our program.

Sorry Derrick if you read this.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MUINGB

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 08:25:33 PM »
I gotta agree with Rocky......lets leave it alone for awhile.    He is a good kid and coach has him in...period.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 08:38:52 PM »
Great idea. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 09:25:50 PM »
If you ever meet him, you will realize that he is a good as they come. 

Give it time fellas, when the season is over, we will be very glad we have him on our team.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 03:57:58 AM »
I've never been a Derrick basher, but never been a defender, either.  He's about as good as Junior was in his junior year.  He's our man, and more importantly, he's our coaches' man.  I'll go til end of season without a bad word... looking for other to match this so we clean up some of the crap on these threads.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 06:45:51 AM »
This all sounds good til the frustration builds from the next bad game, but I'll try.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 09:35:15 AM »
Bashing Derrick is totally wrong, Derrick is a good kid from a good family.  Bashing the coach who recruited him and the scout who thought he could play Division I basketball without a shot
is a different story.  I still remember the first time I saw Dean Memminger play, I was a little surprised he could not shoot either, he did improve and actually made a few jumpers later in the years at MU, hopefully Derrick can to.  Coach has to build some confidence in him so he takes those shots, is Buzz telling him not to shot?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 10:11:49 AM »
I agree its unfair to Derrick and I will stop contributing any such discussion concluding with this post, but not much else of interest to discuss right now regarding the team beyond the backcourt.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 02:09:54 PM »
we should sticky this thread just as a reminder to the folks that bash Derrick

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 06:54:35 PM »
we should sticky this thread just as a reminder to the folks that bash Derrick

Hopefully his play shuts all of his detractors up, and those who have been most supportive can then go ahead and bash those of us who have been frustrated.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »
Bashing Derrick is totally wrong, Derrick is a good kid from a good family.  Bashing the coach who recruited him and the scout who thought he could play Division I basketball without a shot
is a different story.  I still remember the first time I saw Dean Memminger play, I was a little surprised he could not shoot either, he did improve and actually made a few jumpers later in the years at MU, hopefully Derrick can to.  Coach has to build some confidence in him so he takes those shots, is Buzz telling him not to shot?
Good comparison derrick to Dean the Dream---not!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 07:20:14 PM »
BCHoopster

Did you really mention Dean the Dream in this thread? Your point on Dream's shooting may be accurate, aside from that I think you should mention Dean only in the greatest guards in school history threads.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 07:23:52 PM »
BCHoopster

Did you really mention Dean the Dream in this thread? Your point on Dream's shooting may be accurate, aside from that I think you should mention Dean only in the greatest guards in school history threads.

I guess, Dean was a consensus first team All American and the 16th pick in the 1971 NBA draft.  Derrick still has a year to improve..........  My goodness, the blue/gold goggles.......

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 08:11:44 PM »
Derrick can't sniff Dean's Bike.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 10:45:09 PM »
BCHoopster

If you go back that far, Dean barely took an outside shot as a freshman, and I watched all his games.  Al stated more than once that when they took the dunk away from college, the bigger effect was on a player like Dean, that was his best shot.  Other than his outside shot, the rest of his game was better than any player in MU history, no doubt about it.  Jump out of the
gym, still see in my head, the lay-up he had in the Kentucky game in Madison, when MU took a 31-16 or so lead, stole the ball from and layed it up was about a foot over the rim.  I never
saw the Wisconsin Field House louder in my life that night, and that play and Pat Smiths block of Dan Issel as some of the greatest plays in MU history.  By the way, a little known fact is that Dan Issel committed and signed a Big Ten tender to come to Wisco and the other player that almost came was, Elvin Hayes.  Could you believe the games during that era if both
of those players were there against the greatest 10 years of MU ball.  Would have been fun to watch.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 07:15:41 AM »
BCHoopster

Great memories. I agree with all you said and also remember those moments with Dean. Funny thing is the older I get it is hard to say I remember them like yesterday...more like 40+ years ago.

As for going back that far, sadly I do go back that far. To add insult to injury is my kids have heard all these stories and comparisons for their whole lives and like to razz me about it. Now with the Pack struggling a bit I can bring back my Scott Hunter stories and bore them on a new topic.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 07:23:04 AM »
Dean was great from day one when he stepped on campus!

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 08:46:37 AM »
BCHoopster

Great memories. I agree with all you said and also remember those moments with Dean. Funny thing is the older I get it is hard to say I remember them like yesterday...more like 40+ years ago.

As for going back that far, sadly I do go back that far. To add insult to injury is my kids have heard all these stories and comparisons for their whole lives and like to razz me about it. Now with the Pack struggling a bit I can bring back my Scott Hunter stories and bore them on a new topic.

Those were great moments, another moment I remember vividly is George Thompson cold cocking Rodney Knowles of Davidson, I was sitting right there and could not believe it.  Those first
MU recruits from Al were tough and small, Ric Cobb, George, Joe Thomas, all tough.  Ric took it to Spencer Haywood.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 09:21:43 AM »

Moratorium violation!  Moratorium violation!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 09:42:26 AM »
Moratorium violation!  Moratorium violation!

No more Derrick, only good stories from the past.  Another one of Al's first recruits was Jimmy Burke, he had the most interesting outside shot, two handed set shot, quick little player
and fun to watch.

feedback