Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Another buzz clunker...  (Read 3852 times)

The Sultan of Silly

• Scholarship Player
Another buzz clunker...
« on: November 25, 2013, 10:21:05 PM »
Bottom line not playing the right players is killing this team.

Derick Wilson and Jake Thomas played career games and still weren't dominant.

Don't know how Deonte Burton doesn't get Juan Anderson's minutes.

Don't know how Dawson doesn't get 10 minutes as different look with more range and athletic ability.

Don't know why Steve Taylor is in dog house.

Good news the 2nd half was the 1st half this season that started to resemble a MU team.

Of course the game ends when our two message board goats this season Jake Thomas and Derick Wilson both miss shots....why are these two guys deciding if we win or lose? 

🏀

• All American
Re: Another buzz clunker...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 10:26:11 PM »
Deonte Burton doesn't play nearly the same game as Juan Anderson.

Steve Taylor watched two easy dunks go by him.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 10:26:25 PM »

Don't know how Dawson doesn't get 10 minutes as different look with more range and athletic ability.

Good news the 2nd half was the 1st half this season that started to resemble a MU team.

Of course the game ends when our two message board goats this season Jake Thomas and Derick Wilson both miss shots....why are these two guys deciding if we win or lose? 

I don't know why Steve is in the dog house either, but the rest of this post is absolutely ridiculous.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 10:26:50 PM »

The Dawson era as a PG is obvious......over.  The kid has not seen the floor in the last two games and may not for rest of season.  JJJ looked really good tonight and will get minutes, even though tonight's they were Mayo's.  Can't complain about JJJ's defense tonight because it was actually pretty good. Dawson is behind Wilson, Thomas, Mayo, JJJ and probably Du. Wilson upon return. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 10:30:03 PM by nyg »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 10:27:23 PM »
I don't know why Steve is in the dog house either, but the rest of this post is absolutely ridiculous.

Steve can rebound, but his defensive awareness is absolutely pathetic.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 10:27:57 PM »
The only question I have after this game is whether the one ASU student who threw debris onto the court acted alone.  Was there an accomplice?  Could it have been a ricochet?  The truth may never come out.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 10:30:12 PM »
Steve Taylor watched two easy dunks go by him.

Good point, he does seem lost at times.

The Sultan of Silly

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 10:30:48 PM »
Deonte Burton looks to score, has an outside shot, can create his own shot, and is more athletic than Juan Anderson. He also drives to the basket and looks for contact instead of throwing up a goofy shot. He looked like a impact player against Grambling. This team needs more multi threat athletes that can create offense and also create easy shots off forced turnovers.

Juan is a good defensive rebounder and that is it.....any one who says otherwise is being dishonest and stubborn.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 10:32:38 PM by The Sultan of Silly »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 10:32:40 PM »
The only question I have after this game is whether the one ASU student who threw debris onto the court acted alone.  Was there an accomplice?  Could it have been a ricochet?  The truth may never come out.

We should spend a few million investigating, since an expert needs to be paid to determine that his motive was anger at the technical call and he was probably drunk.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 10:34:40 PM »
It actually was better than I expected. Some observations:
De. Wilson had a good game offensively but was schooled by Carter/Carson/what's his name. Derrick could not guard him.
Thomas played well, but should not have taken that last shot.
Burton and JJJ played well in spot minutes.
Ox probably logged more than 30 minutes. He can go that long. Ox and Otule in at the same time can work.
Ja. Wilson missed some big shots down the stretch. 0-4 in last two minutes. He did not play well.
Ox with 18/12 and 3 assists.
Don't know why Taylor is not playing. Ask Buzz.
Poor clock management at end. De. Wilson taking a two pointer against the 7'2" shot blocker did not make sense. We needed the ball to go to Jake or Gardner for a three pointer with 2 seconds left.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 11:26:53 PM »

It appeared to be a "magic" glow ring in that it ricocheted several times in unexpected ways and bounced off objects that should have stopped its progress.  I believe that there must have been another thrower behind the basket who threw at least one additional glow ring on the floor but was not observed in all the commotion.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 11:32:55 PM »
We just played a tourney-caliber team on the road and fought back from 15 down to take a late lead. We lost by 2. It happens. Two very good teams and someone had to lose. Get over it and be glad that we saw aggressiveness and positive drives from Derrick, signs of life from Jake's shot, and signs of leadership from Jamil (despite the fouls). Take away the awful goaltend on Jamil and maybe we steal it in overtime.

Regardless, tomorrow is still another day and March is a long way off, but this team is slowly starting to get it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 11:36:31 PM »
We just played a tourney-caliber team on the road and fought back from 15 down to take a late lead. We lost by 2. It happens. Two very good teams and someone had to lose. Get over it and be glad that we saw aggressiveness and positive drives from Derrick, signs of life from Jake's shot, and signs of leadership from Jamil (despite the fouls). Take away the awful goaltend on Jamil and maybe we steal it in overtime.

Regardless, tomorrow is still another day and March is a long way off, but this team is slowly starting to get it.

Not to mention heart and a pretty hefty pair of...

I loved the way this team stuck together and fought back in a very hostile environment.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 11:41:34 PM »
Deonte Burton looks to score, has an outside shot, can create his own shot, and is more athletic than Juan Anderson. He also drives to the basket and looks for contact instead of throwing up a goofy shot. He looked like a impact player against Grambling. This team needs more multi threat athletes that can create offense and also create easy shots off forced turnovers.

Juan is a good defensive rebounder and that is it.....any one who says otherwise is being dishonest and stubborn.

Well said..one is a good kid...just not nearly the physical presence Deonte is...then again, they make very few like Deonte...pretty sure over time you'll see Deonte get Juan's minutes..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 11:44:24 PM »
He looked like a impact player against Grambling.

I wouldn't use the Grambling game as an indicator of anything significant.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 12:16:18 AM »

1. Not sure what more you wanted from Derrick and Jake tonight
2. Burton and Anderson are two completely different players. Juan's height gives him an advantage on the boards. Fills part of the Trent Lockett void. But I agree that Burton should get some more minutes
3. Dawson has shown no more ability to score than Derrick has. Not sure were people are getting this. He will only get scrub minutes from now on, barring foul trouble.
4. Not sure why he didn't play more at the beginning, but during the 2 minutes he played, he got posterized twice. Still seems like a shorter leash than others get.
5. I'm not sure what an MU team looks like since we have won a different way every season. Pretty much the only consistencies are toughness, a chip on the collective shoulder, pit stains on Buzz's shirts, and Chris Otule in the post.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 12:50:35 AM »
1. Not sure what more you wanted from Derrick and Jake tonight
2. Burton and Anderson are two completely different players. Juan's height gives him an advantage on the boards. Fills part of the Trent Lockett void. But I agree that Burton should get some more minutes
3. Dawson has shown no more ability to score than Derrick has. Not sure were people are getting this. He will only get scrub minutes from now on, barring foul trouble.
4. Not sure why he didn't play more at the beginning, but during the 2 minutes he played, he got posterized twice. Still seems like a shorter leash than others get.
5. I'm not sure what an MU team looks like since we have won a different way every season. Pretty much the only consistencies are toughness, a chip on the collective shoulder, pit stains on Buzz's shirts, and Chris Otule in the post.

With Duane Wilson getting better and JD Stacking up DNP's... Dawson and Flood will prolly get the same minutes.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:52:16 AM by Nevada233 »

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 12:52:47 AM »
If you are still questioning Buzzs methods on playing Freshman over upperclassman you are hopeless.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 01:02:03 AM »
If you are still questioning Buzzs methods on playing Freshman over upperclassman you are hopeless.

True. The games arent gettin any easier so the upperclassmen are gonna have to lead the way.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 06:53:15 AM »
I had to consider the source when I read this one.   So, MU's first road game, without Mayo, MU is getting crushed early and comes back and has a chance to win at the end and it is a Buzz clunker?!?   Wow.   He played the freshmen, he didn't stick with STjr and Juan when they weren't getting it done,  he didn't let the team fold down 15 in the first on the road.......wow.   Just wow. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 07:23:32 AM »
How many Sultans does it take to…….(fill in joke of choice)

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 07:42:46 AM »

Two key words in your post - don't know. Guess I don't know why you weren't named interim head coach this morning.

The guy has his reasons. It's been well stated Buzz spends hundreds of hours with these guys we don't see. Sometimes it's very frustrating to watch his teams, but it might be time to trust the coach with six straight tournament appearances.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:52:46 AM by Wally Schroeder »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 07:45:55 AM »
  Well said..one is a good kid...just not nearly the physical presence Deonte is...then again, they make very few like Deonte...pretty sure over time you'll see Deonte get Juan's minutes..

Dawson and Burton are going to start taking Juan and Derrick's minutes very soon.  ::)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 07:50:13 AM »
Dawson and Burton are going to start taking Juan and Derrick's minutes very soon.  ::)

Am I crazy or did I watch a different game then everyone else.  Yes Burton was good, but completely lost on defense and Juan had a good game.  He didn't have the stats, but defensively was great and Juan was the only one attacking the basket early in the game and had strong rebounding as well.  I think Juan will still surprise some people this season.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Rudy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 07:58:35 AM »

This was pretty much my take as well. I thought it was a very good game. That team had three really good players. The point guard and the center were obvious, but the guy who got the technical was tough as nails. The role players were really good too. That team will do something this year. I was very impressed with our ability to get back in that game and very happy to get the offensive doldrums behind us.

With regard to Steve Taylor, Jr., I don't know what that first poster saw, but I would have raced anyone on the bench to the scorers table to get him out of the game. Two bigs, one in the lane center (moving in and out from right, but trying to hang in front of the rim) and one on left block. He and another big (can't remember who) are watching them both. The guy on the left block moved to the right of the one in the lane, other big picked him up. Steve should have picked the remaining big up. He was right there doing nothing, but he sat on the left block and watched from the outside as the ball went in to the rim and the guy dunked it. Next play was not much better. He has to really pay attention. Looked like he was spaced out entirely.

Juan had a great game defensively. A couple turnovers being tentative, but he was playing a good game. Deonte got a score, but he was not moving through the interference on defense too well. I would not say he was as lost as Steve, but he was getting stuck in the traffic and his guy was getting open fairly easily.